Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

Nintendo Stock Drops 20% and One Man Loses $300 Million [UPDATED]

• 157 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    Hiroshi Yamauchi and his excellent glasses.

UPDATED: Final numbers put Yamauchi's total loss at something closer to $300 million. Still big!

--

"We plan to show something new at next year’s E3, though typical gamers are not demanding high specs. The people who speak about the “next generation” are people who don’t know games."

"If the DS succeeds, we will rise to heaven, but if it fails we will sink to hell."

"Gamers don’t just want beautiful graphics, sounds and epic stories."

"We cannot guarantee interesting and fun games just by using better technology and increasing the functions of the machines."

I'm not sure how many of you remember former Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi, the hard ass who used run operations at Nintendo, and the man responsible for all of the above quotes, but he's having a bad day.

How come? Well, Bloomberg estimates Yamauchi, Nintendo's largest individual shareholder, lost more than $500 million.

Nintendo stock fell as much as 21% in response to Nintendo's first quarterly loss ever, a combined storm of plunging Wii sales and sluggish adoption of 3DS, resulting in Yamauchi's financial dip.

$500 million isn't a drop in the bucket for Yamauchi, but as a man thought to be worth roughly $4.6 billion, it's not the end of the world. Such a sharp drop represents lost confidence in Nintendo.

Nintendo's initial response has been to drop the price of 3DS from $249.99 to $169.99, starting August 12.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

UPDATED: Final numbers put Yamauchi's total loss at something closer to $300 million. Still big!

--

"We plan to show something new at next year’s E3, though typical gamers are not demanding high specs. The people who speak about the “next generation” are people who don’t know games."

"If the DS succeeds, we will rise to heaven, but if it fails we will sink to hell."

"Gamers don’t just want beautiful graphics, sounds and epic stories."

"We cannot guarantee interesting and fun games just by using better technology and increasing the functions of the machines."

I'm not sure how many of you remember former Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi, the hard ass who used run operations at Nintendo, and the man responsible for all of the above quotes, but he's having a bad day.

How come? Well, Bloomberg estimates Yamauchi, Nintendo's largest individual shareholder, lost more than $500 million.

Nintendo stock fell as much as 21% in response to Nintendo's first quarterly loss ever, a combined storm of plunging Wii sales and sluggish adoption of 3DS, resulting in Yamauchi's financial dip.

$500 million isn't a drop in the bucket for Yamauchi, but as a man thought to be worth roughly $4.6 billion, it's not the end of the world. Such a sharp drop represents lost confidence in Nintendo.

Nintendo's initial response has been to drop the price of 3DS from $249.99 to $169.99, starting August 12.

mech4399

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By mech4399

!!! I wish I had $500 Million to lose.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By MisterMouse

man that is a crazy drop...

Wraith1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Wraith1

stock holders must be mad

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By rapid

Yikes, Nintendo needs to rethink their plans. Hardware alone is not cutting it right now.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By FourWude

The collapse is coming.... soon enough...

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By JJOR64

Damn. I would be a little ticked and I lost $500mil.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dany

Damn, that is crazy but in all honesty I see the same thing happening with the Wii U.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By toowalrus

@Wraith1 said:

I'm sure their stock went up so much during the DS and Wii boom that they made massive profit even with this drop.

blurienh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By blurienh

Dont see the WiiU turning things round for them either.

dillinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By dillinger

3DS will shift more units as  better games come out, and also with the price drop.  They'll bounce back

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By BBQBram

I'm not worried.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By Sooperspy
    @dillinger said:
    3DS will shift more units as  better games come out, and also with the price drop.  They'll bounce back
    This.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By rjayb89

Kill that man! He used run operations at Nintendo!

VirtuaXav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By VirtuaXav

Unlucky for that dude, but I'm sure he'll be just fine.

Still sucks for Nintendo, hopefully they can blow us out of the water this financial year.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is he a hard-ass?

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Kazona

Talk about a roller coaster ride. The Nintendo 64 did great, but the game cube pretty much tanked. Then they came back strong with the Wii, and now they're plummeting again.

thedez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thedez

Iwata probably needs to go back to making games and let someone else run the company.

GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GoldenGlove

He lost $500 million but he gained the knowledge that true wealth is friendship.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#20  Edited By Hailinel

@FourWude said:

So you're looking forward to the collapse of a corporation and the loss of jobs?

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

@Redbullet685 said:

@dillinger said:
    3DS will shift more units as better games come out, and also with the price drop. They'll bounce back
    This.
    Davin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Davin

I'm sure he isn't going to go hungry anytime soon.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By williamhenry

@TooWalrus said:

@Wraith1 said:

I'm sure their stock went up so much during the DS and Wii boom that they made massive profit even with this drop.

Don't they only make a profit if they sell their stock? If they haven't sold any yet, then they lost a ton of potential money today.

Nintendo is in a weird spot. Their current systems aren't selling too hot and with the WiiU being a half step next gen-wise, I don't see it solving their problems.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FourWude
    @Hailinel said:

@FourWude said:

So you're looking forward to the collapse of a corporation and the loss of jobs?

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'M INSINUATING IN MY POST.

Fucking retard.

Or maybe, just maybe.... I'm just stating that there is an imminent collapse of the videogame industry. Something which I've posted on numerous times, to the point which I find it tedious to even talk about it.

But you're absolutely right, I'm gonna dance butt fucking naked in the streets when Nintendo has to lay off thousands of jobs, because that's how I get my kicks.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ryanwho

Patrick isn't trolling Nintendo and Fox News doesn't have a right wing bias.

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By maskedarcstrike
    @dillinger: What better games are you talking about?  3rd party support like Ubisoft has been canceling games like Assassins Creed for 3ds as well as some other developers.  Pretty much the only 3rd party title that looks promising is RE: Revelations.  You think they can pull it off again with the usual Mario Kart, Super Mario, Kirby, lineup?  I may be completely wrong but I think that well is dry for this generation of younger gamers into their late teens, they did that with the DS and have either moved on to hardcore games or have abandoned games completely. 

The younger generation of early teens is more interested in mobile phone games IMO.  I think the age of the hand held is finally kind of starting to die.
    yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By yukoasho
    @Kazona said:
    Talk about a roller coaster ride. The Nintendo 64 did great, but the game cube pretty much tanked. Then they came back strong with the Wii, and now they're plummeting again.
    Well, the N64 was certainly a great system for Nintendo, but it was the first Nintendo system not to be the primary console for gamers, or the primary target of 3rd parties (though at the time it was assumed that Nintendo would rebuild relationships frayed by their attitudes during the NES and SNES eras.  It was nowhere near what the SNES was in terms of market penetration or profit (though it was still very much a profitable venture).  Indeed, for a solid ten years, Nintendo was the red-headed stepchild of the home console industry.  However, their eternal franchises and continued handheld dominance kept them from fading into complete irrelevance until they were able to set the world on fire with the Wii.  Now we have a scenario where Wiis everywhere are being shoved into closets, and Nintendo is in danger for the first time of losing the handheld gaming market dominance it has always enjoyed to a two-pronged attack - Sony's going in with lots of lessons learned from the PSP's failure, so they're going to stand a good chance of encroaching into the retail space, while the inconsequential "casual" type of games they used to make fortunes charging $40 for are going for $0.99-$5.00 on iOS, Android and (to a lesser extent) Vita. 

Now more than ever, Nintendo needs to put the gimmicks away and do what they do best - games.  Getting back to making classics is what's going to pull them out of this funk.
    McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By McShank

Well.. sounds like its a good time for McShank to start investing in nintendo stock as I doubt nintendo will die.. but rather bounce back to where they were before at least.. And if im wrong o well, cant be worse then buying lottery tickets and waiting till they draw the numbers and see you didn't win for the 101th time.. People think this is the end of nintendo, HA.. just look where sony was when the ps3 launched or the psp launched.. they have been in the slump for a while in major profits but yet they still live on to make new stuff.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By yukoasho
    @ryanwho said:
    Patrick isn't trolling Nintendo and Fox News doesn't have a right wing bias.
    Trolling?  Nintendo's stock went down 21% in the blink of an eye.  Any other company would have had heads rolling left, right and center over this, and I'd be surprised if no high-profile Nintendo employees are shit-canned in the coming months. 

You may not like to hear it, but this shit is news.
    yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By yukoasho
    @McShank said:

Well.. sounds like its a good time for McShank to start investing in nintendo stock as I doubt nintendo will die.. but rather bounce back to where they were before at least.. And if im wrong o well, cant be worse then buying lottery tickets and waiting till they draw the numbers and see you didn't win for the 101th time..

Actually, how difficult IS it for Joe Westerner to get Nintendo stock?  Is it easy to get into the Nikkei without someone in Japan to do the trading?
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By LiquidPrince

@mech4399 said:

!!! I wish I had $500 Million to lose.

I wish I had $500 million and didn't lose it... that would be better.

WEGGLES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By WEGGLES
    ArchTeckGuru8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ArchTeckGuru8

Man... a 21% drop sounds like quite a bit. How much is the company worth overall though?

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By McShank

@FourWude said:

@Hailinel said:

@FourWude said:

Fucking retard.

Or maybe, just maybe.... I'm just stating that there is an imminent collapse of the videogame industry. Something which I've posted on numerous times, to the point which I find it tedious to even talk about it.

But you're absolutely right, I'm gonna dance butt fucking naked in the streets when Nintendo has to lay off thousands of jobs, because that's how I get my kicks.

ZOMG ME TOO! *dancing naked in the streets*. I am guessing this is why my buddy over at nintendo (Redmon) has yet to call me about getting a job there anytime soon : /

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DougQuaid

As Matt Kessler would say, "The winds they are a-changin'."

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FourWude
    @McShank said:

ZOMG ME TOO! *dancing naked in the streets*. I am guessing this is why my buddy over at nintendo (Redmon) has yet to call me about getting a job there anytime soon : /

Broaden your horizons beyond the videogame industry. Unless the companies headhunt you, or you're extremely talented in your profession, this isn't the time to be joining the industry. Developers and studios are already being let go and shut down all over the world. Costs are being cut, IP's being binned, Publishers less willing to take risks etc. The real scary part is that this is just the beginning.

Nintendo is one of the most profitable, professional and least risk companies in the Industry. They've been raking in money hand over fist the past 5 years. And yet a small downturn in fortunes has wiped out 1/5th of their stock, equivalent to $5 Billion. If it can happen to Nintendo, the Apple of the VG industry, it can happen to anyone else, on a much grander scale. 

It's just the wrong time. That's how it rolls sometimes. But you never know you may get lucky.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#37  Edited By Hailinel

@FourWude said:

@Hailinel said:

@FourWude said:

Fucking retard.

It's not my fault your original post had all the apparent clarity of a kaleidoscopic acid trip.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Dylabaloo

Not surprised. They already made all the money with the Wii, it had no where to go but down.

crushed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By crushed

It's not confirmed since the transcript hasn't been put up yet, but Iwata said at a shareholder meeting today that because of this stuff, the lowered earnings projection, and Nintendo taking a loss on each post-price drop 3DS, he'd be cutting his own salary in half and cutting the top round of exec's salaries by 30%.

LocoRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By LocoRocker

hmm, great time to buy a nintendo stock option...

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Aus_azn
    @patrickklepek said:
    He was pretty right on this point.

While this sucks for Nintendo, I think it's the much-needed wake-up call. At this rate, I want to see them ditch consoles entirely and go fully handheld and as a 3rd-party console developer.
    Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#42  Edited By Lazyaza

Seems Nintendo are destined to go back to their usual position in the market, no longer dominating but not failing completely, neither satisfying the hardcore nor taking complete advantage of the casuals.  I get the feeling next gen MS and Sony are going to get a very large portion of the once Wii-only crowd moving over to their new machines.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43  Edited By Levio

Nintendo has really gotten itself backed into a corner. The WiiU is going to be graphically inferior to the other next gen consoles, and the DS's casual market is being stolen by smartphone games. Just about the only 2 things Nintendo has going for it are its 1st party games and low console prices.

It's gonna take a lot of cheesey marketing for them to keep people loyal to them.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Seedofpower

Nothing grows forever.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45  Edited By Castiel
    I'm not sure how many of you remember former Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi, the hard ass who used to run operations at Nintendo, and the man responsible for all of the above quotes, but he's having a bad day.
    Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#46  Edited By Bribo

Quote 1 = arrogance. Quotes 2 and 4 = wisdom.

Quote 3 would have to read "Gamers don’t just want beautiful graphics, sounds and epic stories" and have some sort of follow up to that statement, to make it an acceptable point of view - but it's impossible to know where to put the emphasis in that sentence or if there was a further point to be made. 

Also, if it's in quotes, you don't need to italicise.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@FourWude said:

@Hailinel said:

@FourWude said:

Fucking retard.

Your crystal ball skill are pretty shit. Companies like Nintendo often have swings and roundabouts. Nvidia lost almost 30% five years ago and now they lead ATI and the GPU market is still kicking. PC gaming isn't dead either. Oh and 2012 won't be the end of the world, just in case you were worried.

You get your kicks being an egotistical windbag who knows nothing from nothing and rants about everything. You also started out talking about Guidos and you thought it was hilarious, remember that? Yeah, I do and nobody thought it was even remotely funny.

The only imminent collapse is that of your skull due to the lack of brain holding it up.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#48  Edited By onan

I just noticed, Amazon has completely ceased sales of 3DS until August 12th when the price drop officially kicks in. Wow. That's kind of nuts.

vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By vinsanityv22

Bad day, Schmad day. If Mr. Yamauchi is Nintendo's largest shareholder, than HE'S the guy whose been swimming around in his money vault daily since about 2006. It's real hard to sympathize for a guy who profited from Nintendo's ill-gotten success with the Wii. Stupid disposable audience that made the Wii - and now the Kinect, because they don't harbor any company loyalty or care about games - pumped so much money into Nintendo, and in turn, Yamauchi, it's not even funny. He could stand to have a few more "bad days" and still be richer than God, I bet.

Nintendo needs to worry less about pure hardware and start focusing on getting some 3DS Software out there. Y'know, that stuff that third parties produce that you never support or advertise, Nintendo? But that's insanely important to a game console's health, regardless of what you think? Yeah, you should get some of THOSE on the 3DS.

jasondesante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jasondesante

Look at the art.  Nintendo is making their own systems, and catering to every demographic with a high quality game to suit every need, all within the first year of a systems launch.  Look at the art, it is better than it has ever been.  The people that appreciate it are still here, the sheep are just being herded into different directions but think of it this way.  

The last time idiots tried to take over the game industry, they almost killed it.  Then Nintendo came along and made QUALITY, and brought the once dead console market into the abomination Microsoft turned it into.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.