Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

Nintendo will not go the way of Sega, so get over yourselves.

• 109 results
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Edited By Claude
    Nintendo is flailing while others are flying high they say. Some comments from Nintendo articles mention the Dreamcast and how Nintendo's failure will surely lead them down the same path as Sega. This kind of thought process does not compute with me. 

First, the Dreamcast sold only a little over ten million consoles. The "dead" Wii will sell around ten million this year. Hell, the Wii will pass the one hundred million mark before its true death. Secondly, any rational human being knows that Sega didn't have the first party franchises or characters that Nintendo has in their pocket. This alone will keep investors in Nintendo's hip pocket.

Sometimes I think people want Nintendo to get out of the hardware business just because they want to play Nintendo games on their hardware of choice. I guess they think the hardware is too underpowered or the control methods too gimmicky for their liking. If you want to play Nintendo franchises, buy Nintendo hardware. If you think it's gimmicky, don't buy. Simple really, when you think about it.

Does Nintendo have work to do to better their products? You bet your bottom dollar they do. They've made a boat load of mistakes but by no means does it put them on the same playing field as Sega.

So, stop it. Nintendo is not going to become a "software only" company for the foreseeable future. As for the Wii U, I guess we'll have to wait until it comes out to find if it has any staying power. Sorry. But E3 should be interesting this year. I hope Nintendo does a better job than they did last year. We don't want people being confused all over again.

Thanks for letting me rant.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Claude
    Nintendo is flailing while others are flying high they say. Some comments from Nintendo articles mention the Dreamcast and how Nintendo's failure will surely lead them down the same path as Sega. This kind of thought process does not compute with me. 

First, the Dreamcast sold only a little over ten million consoles. The "dead" Wii will sell around ten million this year. Hell, the Wii will pass the one hundred million mark before its true death. Secondly, any rational human being knows that Sega didn't have the first party franchises or characters that Nintendo has in their pocket. This alone will keep investors in Nintendo's hip pocket.

Sometimes I think people want Nintendo to get out of the hardware business just because they want to play Nintendo games on their hardware of choice. I guess they think the hardware is too underpowered or the control methods too gimmicky for their liking. If you want to play Nintendo franchises, buy Nintendo hardware. If you think it's gimmicky, don't buy. Simple really, when you think about it.

Does Nintendo have work to do to better their products? You bet your bottom dollar they do. They've made a boat load of mistakes but by no means does it put them on the same playing field as Sega.

So, stop it. Nintendo is not going to become a "software only" company for the foreseeable future. As for the Wii U, I guess we'll have to wait until it comes out to find if it has any staying power. Sorry. But E3 should be interesting this year. I hope Nintendo does a better job than they did last year. We don't want people being confused all over again.

Thanks for letting me rant.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Claude said:

Sometimes I think people want Nintendo to get out of the hardware business just because they want to play Nintendo games on their hardware of choice.

Oddly enough, that's exactly what I want.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Claude
    @Video_Game_King said:

@Claude said:

Sometimes I think people want Nintendo to get out of the hardware business just because they want to play Nintendo games on their hardware of choice.

Well, get over yourself. Throw some moon dust on Nintendo headquarters and see what happens. While you're at it, throw some on Valve so we can play Episode 3.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ZenaxPure

I feel like you're stating the obvious, but I suppose I am not exactly a part of the group of people you're aim is set on ranting to. Also pretty sure the 3DS is going to sell more than the DS in the long run to make my own bold prediction.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Claude said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Claude said:

Well, get over yourself. Throw some moon dust on Nintendo headquarters and see what happens. While you're at it, throw some on Valve so we can play Episode 3.

Fuck your Portal 2 references.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Dagbiker

I want a Cart Racer with Nintendo X Playstation + Microsoft.

Although I only want it to race as Keven Butler.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By BisonHero

@Video_Game_King said:

@Claude said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Claude said:

Fuck your Portal 2 references.

If Nintendo and Valve are both covered in moon dust, then you could create a portal on each building, and then their employees can freely walk between both headquarters, leading to the greatest convergence of game design ideas of all time.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By Tireyo

I think Nintendo really has the opportunity to improve on their online gaming services like the EShop, WiiWare, and Virtual Console... though lately the WiiWare and Virtual Console aren't any count at all anymore. Because of the appeal of their major franchises, I don't think Nintendo is really going to go anywhere for a long time. If they follow the way Sega does, so be it. It probably won't happen, but you don't know what the future brings. I'll be rooting for Nintendo to try and strive for success by them bringing their version of entertainment to the public.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

@BisonHero:

Fire Emblem does not need a gravity gun.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By soldierg654342

If any company stands a chance of ending up like Sega, it's Sony. Nintendo's fine, for better or for worse.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Djratchet

@Video_Game_King said:

@Claude said:

ditto. I don't care enough to buy the console to play like 5 games, but I would buy the hell out of them if they appeared on other consoles. Until then, Nintendo gets nothing from me.

Not saying it will happen, but I would like it if it somehow did.

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NakAttack

@Video_Game_King said:

@BisonHero:

what about a crowbar?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Animasta

@Video_Game_King said:

@BisonHero:

metroid would be awesome with a gravity gun

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

@NakAttack:

Swords and axes are close enough.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By BisonHero

@Video_Game_King said:

@BisonHero:

DOESN'T IT? Also, Mario Kart would have a bunch of see-saws and assorted physics puzzles. And Portal 3 would no longer have voice acting, and would instead have on-screen text where all of the really good jokes are in bold and in a different colour.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dagbiker

I like to think of Nintendo as the anti-Apple, where Apple is the slick jock that is always screwing people over, but every one loves. Nintendo is the geek who always trys to do the right thing and yet every one hates him.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#18  Edited By galiant

@Claude said:

Sometimes I think people want Nintendo to get out of the hardware business just because they want to play Nintendo games on their hardware of choice. I guess they think the hardware is too underpowered or the control methods too gimmicky for their liking. If you want to play Nintendo franchises, buy Nintendo hardware. If you think it's gimmicky, don't buy.

Yes!! This is exactly how I feel and it's exactly what I do. I don't buy any of their hardware anymore but I'd love to try some of the games.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Karl_Boss

I don't know man playing a Mario game on my Xbox sounds pretty cool.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Claude
    @Unknown_Pleasures said:

I don't know man playing a Mario game on my Xbox sounds pretty cool.

Don't hold your breath.
    VisceralWhimsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By VisceralWhimsy

@Claude said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Claude said:

Episode 3 :(. That's all I can say.

@Dagbiker said:

Nintendo is the geek who always trys to do the right thing and yet every one hates him.

Unfortunately, that's true. Nintendo has the potential for really great games, and have had them in the past. On their own systems. That's just the way it is. Sure, who wouldn't like to play Zelda or something like that on a console they play more of. Not gonna happen.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22  Edited By Levio

The situation is really simple: Nintendo needs to sell consoles to make money, so it makes its exclusive titles really, really good in order to draw in people who already have other consoles. If Nintendo switched to only selling software, they wouldn't invest nearly as much into each title because there's no bonus revenue from hardware sales, so the games wouldn't be as good.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I agree, well said. 

Nintendo ain't going nowhere fast.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Justin258

@Claude said:

That's exactly what I want

No, I do not want Nintendo to make another gimmick. I like their games. As much as I bash them for never really doing anything different with Mario or Zelda, I still like their games. There are two reasons that I don't stick with Nintendo often.

The first is that they feel that a gimmick - yes, a fucking gimmick, that's what it is - automatically makes something really interesting. It does not. I'm especially against motion controls in general, and the Wii more so. Apart from shooters, you can't really make something traditional on it that uses the Wii-mote extensively. I have less of a problem with the Wii U's controller because a game can be released that doesn't use any crazy gimmick, but the Wii's controller is intent on forcing developers to make something equally as gimmicky just so that it will work right. And, to be honest with you, I never played anything on the Wii that sold me on motion controls. There was always something strange or iffy with it, it never really worked right.

I'll have no problem with this if there is a way to make a more traditional game with traditional controls on it. What I mean by "traditional" is "something that can be played with no motion controls, waggle, touch screen, motion sensing (Kinect), or anything else". Just plain buttons and sticks, thank you very much, or WASD and a mouse.

The second reason is a lack of games that I want outside of their first party offerings. As mentioned before, I like Mario games. I like Metroid games. Can't say that Zelda has ever struck my fancy but they seem like well made, if never changing, games. Some third party games do exist that I would like to buy - Resident Evil Revelations on the 3DS, for instance - but there still isn't much. I'd especially like to see more games meant for older people.

I don't dislike Nintendo - the 3DS is on my mind right now, I want one - but they just seem way too focused on making something gimmicky that loses novelty quick.

Speaking of the 3DS, why don't they just make their handhelds right the first time instead of releasing a new version every year? Oh, don't walk away, Sony, my eye is on you as well...

bvilleneuve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25  Edited By bvilleneuve

I saw this thread and thought I'd wandered into GameFAQs circa 2002. Man, talk about a mindfuck.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Claude
    @believer258: I'm really curious to see how traditional games work with this new controller. Will the two slide pads work as well as dual analog? 

As for gimmicky, well, I never really had a problem with Wii controls. I've put over 50 hours into Skyward Sword and it works great for me. I played the remake of Goldeneye 007 on the Wii with nothing but the Wii remote and nunchuck and loved it. But the Wii's controls came naturally to me for some reason. Another thing is that my launch day Wii hasn't broken. My Xbox 360 broke twice on me after I bought it in 2008.
    Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like this rant.  You made really good points in your state of frustration

VisceralWhimsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By VisceralWhimsy

@believer258 said:

And, to be honest with you, I never played anything on the Wii that sold me on motion controls. There was always something strange or iffy with it, it never really worked right.

I feel ridiculous most of the time half-heartedly swinging the remote in Twilight Princess, which is why I prefer the Gamecube version. Haven't tried Skyward Sword yet so I'm not sure if it's improved. Regardless, I hate the little speaker in the remote and the awful midi-noises that come out. Ugh.

@Claude said:

Another thing is that my launch day Wii hasn't broken. My Xbox 360 broke twice on me after I bought it in 2008.

I know the pain of that. The Wii is pretty solid.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Claude
    @VisceralWhimsy: That little speaker worked great in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. I remember the first time I had to put it to my ear. I was like, ok... and then I tripped out at what was being said. Cool game.
    joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By joshth

Can't help but agree with all of this. But I really hope Nintendo steps it up for this next generation. The whole opertation rainfall fiasco left a bad taste in my mouth...

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I agree. There are few things in life that cannot be stopped. Mr. Domino, The Endurance Run, Game Room, NintenDownload X-Press, and Nintendo. And of those, Nintendo is the oldest, and the strongest.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Dagbiker

@bvilleneuve said:

I saw this thread and thought I'd wandered into GameFAQs circa 2002. Man, talk about a mindfuck.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By Commisar123

I wouldn't call the first financial loss in a long time the sign of an inevitable decline.

VisceralWhimsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By VisceralWhimsy

@Claude: Haven't gotten a chance to play but about 15 minutes of that game, tbh. I keep thinking back to an old Ju-on review and how terrible the noises apparently were.

JordanK85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JordanK85

"...So get over yourselves." Ah, the words that precede every productive discussion.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Claude
    @JordanK85 said:

"...So get over yourselves." Ah, the words that precede every productive discussion.

I meant it more as a statement. What discussion value comes from my small rant is up for discussion though.
    TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheHumanDove

Nintendo sux, deal with it

the end

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Claude
    @TheHumanDove said:

Nintendo sux, deal with it

the end

Are you trolling my ass? I know just didn't say what I think you said. You said it. Didn't you?

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By kingzetta

I don't like any nintendo franchises BOOM
    I also hate valve too

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By toowalrus

@Animasta: I finished Catherine earlier this week... I got the true ending for Katherine... Your avatar provokes a totally different response when I look at it now.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kingzetta
    @MooseyMcMan said:

I agree. There are few things in life that cannot be stopped. Mr. Domino, The Endurance Run, Game Room, NintenDownload X-Press, and Nintendo. And of those, Nintendo is the oldest, and the strongest.

but Game Room and The NintenDownload X-Press were stopped
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@kingzetta said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

LIES! The NDX will fly again, and one day, Sunset Riders will be released, and then there will be a special Game Room Quick Look just for it! YOU WILL ALL SEE!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Claude
    @kingzetta said:
    I don't like any nintendo franchises BOOM I also hate valve too
    Damn, do you even play video games.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By kingzetta
    @MooseyMcMan said:

@kingzetta said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

LIES! The NDX will fly again, and one day, Sunset Riders will be released, and then there will be a special Game Room Quick Look just for it! YOU WILL ALL SEE!

just believe in Mr. Domino
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@kingzetta said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@kingzetta said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Technically, Mr. Domino is the most stoppable of all those things, because it's "No One Stops Mr. Domino," not "Nothing Stops Mr. Domino." Meaning that people cannot stop him, but things that aren't people can. So, if The Endurance Run and Mr. Domino were on a collision course, the ER would keep on truckin'.

VisceralWhimsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By VisceralWhimsy

@TooWalrus: lol! Completely off topic but absolutely hilarious. Yeah, I didn't see that coming. Every single time I see that icon I ,too, think of that ending.

@Claude said:

@kingzetta said:

Maybe not good ones? :3

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kingzetta
    @Claude said:
    @kingzetta said:
    That's like only like 6 games I don't like. Mario, zelda, donky kong and half-life, portal, L4D.
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By hatking

Bold claims six months after they announced new hardware. Of course they're not going to go software only right now. I wouldn't be shocked if they sort of focus on the handheld market now though. I don't foresee the WiiU selling gangbusters like the Wii did.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#49  Edited By DarthOrange

Sounds like your in denial, old man.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By kingzetta
    @MooseyMcMan said:

@kingzetta said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@kingzetta said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Technically, Mr. Domino is the most stoppable of all those things, because it's "No One Stops Mr. Domino," not "Nothing Stops Mr. Domino." Meaning that people cannot stop him, but things that aren't people can. So, if The Endurance Run and Mr. Domino were on a collision course, the ER would keep on truckin'.

Being that objects have no will of their own, people are the only ones that would want to stop him. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.