Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

Predictions/Hopes for tomorrow's Nintendo Direct?

• 77 results
    MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#1  Edited By MightyDuck

Just curious what everyone else is hoping for since it's been so long since a full Direct. I've been enjoying my Switch a ton lately and really excited for tomorrow's presentation.

Here's a few things I'm hoping for...

• return of Mario Golf
    • Zelda 35 collection news
    • Metroid Prime collection news
    • N64/Gameboy on Switch Online service
    fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 75

#2 fisk0  Moderator

Super Mario Special All-Stars!

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think there will be Zelda 35 collection news (I'm thinking Windwaker, Twilight, and Spirit Tracks but who knows what will be in it) and also some update on BOTW 2, including possibly a date.

There will obviously be news on Smash and either a character reveal or a date for a future character reveal. There will also be Animal Crossing news and I wouldn't be surprised if they announce paid DLC for the game's anniversary.

There will be something about upcoming already announced games like New Pokemon Snap.

There will almost certainly be a "surprise" of some sort, in the form of an announcement of a new game. Some people have speculated Mario Kart 9 but I doubt that will happen. I really don't know what Nintendo has in the hopper because all their big franchises are accounted for in one way or another.

Quite possibly a Bayoneta 3/Metroid Prime 4 update but I don't think either will receive firm release dates, especially not in the first half of this year. Maybe end of the year?

As for what I'm hoping for:

Stealth drops or short announce periods are what I always hope for with these things. They say it's focused on the first half of the year so hopefully we'll get some dates in March and April. I don't like long waits and I love when games just drop out of nowhere. So my hope is that they do some "and it's available now" thing. That obviously wouldn't be for a huge game, but I could see them doing it for something like Metroid Prime Trilogy or some other rerelease, or a smaller project of some sort.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0: If it weren't for the fact that there isn't much time before they pull Super Mario 3D All Stars off shelves and...digital shelves... I could imagine them announcing Galaxy 2 as DLC. People would be irritated, and rightfully so, but I'd definitely buy it.

However there's no point in releasing DLC for a collection that they plan to stop producing soon.

I'm still irritated about that, and I own Super Mario 3D All-Stars (and played through Galaxy on it so it wasn't even a waste of money!)

The Zelda Collection will likely be time limited too.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: I think you're spot on with the Zelda collection. I really hope it's legit and soon. As somebody who didn't grow up playing any Zelda games I am totally psyched to jump in. I LOVED Breath of the Wild.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightyduck: Breath of the Wild is very different from other Zeldas (at least other recent Zeldas) so I hope you're not disappointed. Not sure if you played the Link's Awakening remake, which I thought was good.

Now that I think about it it's almost hard to imagine a collection without Ocarina, but they re-released that recently on 3DS. Maybe it will be Ocarina, Wind Waker and Twilight. There are rumors about Skyward Sword, though. Man, if that Mario collection hadn't been so skimpy I would be much more excited about this. Maybe they'll surprise us and do a two part Zelda collection and just move over pretty much everything to Switch.

PORT IT ALL! EVEN FACES OF EVIL AND WAND OF GAMELON!

Can you even call it a Zelda celebration if you leave these two out of it?
    Can you even call it a Zelda celebration if you leave these two out of it?

AndersWarming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AndersWarming

@mightyduck: Genuinely curious, have you tried any other Zelda game - it might feel quite a bit different - except maybe a bit for Wind Waker?

Edit. Again, not meant in any negative way - I'm kinda exited to hear from someone that started out with Breath of the Wild. Usually it's the other way around :)

Editx2. And - as for predictions - I really really hope to see another glims of Breath of the Wild 2. I don't think it's highly unlikely.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MightyDuck

@bigsocrates: @anderswarming:

I have played a small portion of Ocarina of Time as a kid. My cousins had it for N64. I also did try Link's Awakening on the Switch and enjoyed it. I'm most curious about Wind Waker, that just looks like a really enjoyable time.

That reminds me, I really need to try Link to the Past on the SNES service.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love a new Pushmo.

But really I'm just excited for a Direct. Whatever they show will probably hype me up.

I just hope Smash doesn't take up TOO much of the time. I like Smash, but it gets its own direct-lites with every character announcement.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I just want Wind Waker on Switch. I bought a Wii U for it and will happily buy it again.

AndersWarming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightyduck: Yup. Wind Waker is my favorite - the closest you get to the great exploratory feel from Breath of the Wild (I dont mind all the water, I love the sailing....might actully play it again now...and people complaining about that back then, must have had a bad time with Breath of the Wild) and the combat is filled with the same kind of jolly details - just less so of course.

Noghr2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any Metroid Switch or Collection update would be awesome. Just watched AGDQ for Super Metroid Impossible run and got me wanting some Metroid.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Bakugan 2

franzlska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By franzlska

It says Smash Bros. and games coming out in the first half of 2021, so I doubt there will be much talk of bigger titles like Bayonetta 3, Prime 4, etc., as those feel like they're still years off. Maybe there's an ending stinger with BotW2 news/date, but I feel like that'd be it.

As for Smash Bros., a new fighter announce feels like a given, although I truly have no clue who it could be. I'm still holding out hope for Kiryu, but that feels pretty unlikely given some of the talk from the RGG team. It'll almost certainly be another third party character, though.

As for games, I feel like a port/remaster or two of a Wii/3DS/Wii U-era title is fully possible, along with another smaller title like Pocket Card Jockey or Part Time UFO. Definitely a few indie ports, a la the Spelunky 2 announcement from a little while back. It's possible they announce a soon-upcoming release that they haven't talked about before, like they did with Origami King, considering this is the first "proper" Direct since 2019, it's possible they have a bunch of projects ready to go, but I feel like first-party presence will be somewhat restrained.

My most specific prediction: I think Umurangi Generation's switch port gets a release date, and it's some time within the next 30 days.

Jam13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I predict we'll get a slightly better look at the Breath of the Wild sequel in a teaser at the end and maybe a rough timeframe for release, a deep dive into the new Pokemon Snap, and some Animal Crossing DLC (it sold so well surely they have to put out some paid add-on). Metroid and Bayonetta might get a mention?

Given it's the Zelda 35th anniversery a collection is surely on the cards. My unlikely prediction is we might get TWO Zelda collections: one 3D and one 2D (and maybe a slight discount on both as a bundle?)

What I'd like to see in addition to that is another 2D Zelda remake like Links Awakening coming later this year (Minnish Cap or Oracle of Ages/Seasons maybe) hopefully with a distinct art style rather than a rehash of the Links Awakening remake's.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Roman Reigns in Smash

msouza1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightyduck: I was just thinking this week before the announcement of this Direct that we as a society are LONG overdue for a new Mario Golf. I hope they make a new one soon.

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

I've had a REALLY strong urge to replay Wind Waker in the past few weeks, so fingers crossed that it's on the way. I'm more than ready to pick up a 3rd copy. I was unhappy with all the crap surrounding Mario 3D Allstars, but my copy is showing up at the end of the week so it looks like Nintendo wins again. As for the Smash fighter, my gut tells me it's either an indie character or a fighting game character. The last one I bought was Banjo, so my dream roster is basically complete and anything else is just a bonus.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Zelda news, in many varieties. Obviously the big one is a release date for the BotW sequel. I would also like, at minimum the 2 Wii U remasters ported to Switch. It would also be nice to see the 2 3DS remakes ported to Switch and maybe even a Skyward Sword remaster.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I want Twilight Princess HD port cuz that’s the one I haven’t played. Wind Waker HD would be nice but idk if I’d play it again.

Xenoblade Chronicles X port would be cool.

Would love to see some Nintendo Selects as well. I wanna play Luigi’s Mansion 3 and NSMBU DX but wish I could get them on the cheap.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don’t mind me, I’m just gonna be banging pots and screaming “BotW 2 NEWS” until the direct.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopes: That my power will come back on. I’d also like to see more about possible Diamond / Pearl remakes.

Predictions: Repackaging of older games from any big franchise. The games are great but Nintendo’s gotten predictable on this front.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Boktai 3 gets announced with a brand new Sun Gathering accessory for the Switch.

totalpatoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

All I really want is a BOTW 2 announcement and some exciting new games otherwise.

Also I think we're overdue for a Mario Strikers Charged remake, amirite?

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As my usual: Nothing. No expectations. No disappointment.

rollsafe.jpeg

Superharman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

@liquiddragon: wouldn’t be opposed to a Xenoblade Chronicles X remake but I’d like to know what Monolith are up to in general besides supporting BOTW2. They teased a new game a while back.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prepare yourself for: disappointment

It's going to be a fuck ton of Smash and as we all know, even Smash fans are disappointed by Smash. 50 minutes of some new character no one except for the most die hard Fire Emblem fans know of.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By glots

Well, they can’t just announce two collections, so Zelda 35 Anniversary one gets the spotlight now and Metroid Prime trilogy will maybe get announced next year.

I’d like to play Wind Waker though.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Obviously a Smash character. Please no JRPG people. (Unless it's from Final Fantasy VI in which case, yes.) Thinking about third parties that Nintendo has a strong relationship with. Personally I'm rooting for Rayman. But maybe Master Chief? Or Dante?

- Zelda ports would be lovely. But I doubt we'll hear anything about BOTW2.

- Some third party ports. Including some more 90's/00's JRPGs.

- Some more third-party developers with Nintendo IPs.

- Ubi with another Mario vs. Rabbids.

- [pipe dreams]

- Someone (Sega? Capcom?) to make a new F-Zero.

- Square-Enix to make Super Mario RPG 2.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@wollywoo said:

- Zelda ports would be lovely. But I doubt we'll hear anything about BOTW2.

If they don't talk about BotW 2 soon something has to be going wrong, or COVID seriously messed with development. In March it will be 4 years since BotW, with the holiday season being 4 and half. BotW 2 was pitched as a Majora's Mask style sequel, re-using the core mechanics and the open world from the original game. That it has been in development as long as it has either means they are having issues or they have seriously expanded the scope of the project. I originally would have expected to it be released long before now.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I want:

Switch 2/Pro announcement, Metroid Prime Trilogy and Zelda collection (WW, TP and SS) remastered for switch.

What will happen:

None of the above.

noobsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

N64 games to virtual console, BOTW 2 anything, another successful Microsoft deal that gets Banjo Kazooie + Twooie on switch, a reminder or more that another metroid exists

ryudo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Giant Bomb going to stream it while talking over it?

beyblades99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JohnLocke

Predictions:

Smash Brothers reveals a couple of new characters, one from Nintendo IP and one third party.

News about Pokémon Snap and maybe Animal Crossing gets mentioned for anniversary content.

Teaser at the end for Breath of The Wild 2/Metroid 4.

Hopes:

Zelda collection (this will either be Gamecube/Wii games but I would hope for more such as Game Boy/SNES or basically a collection of the highest rated Zelda games. The joker inside me wants them to put the Philips console Zelda game in too).

New Switch - either a Switch Pro/Series X type deal with upgraded hardware or that the Switch will be going to a more energy efficient model and will also be cheaper as a result.

Switch price cut (unlikely given how well they are selling and the current world situation)

Mario Golf was mentioned above and now makes me want to see that.

New IP either from Nintendo or third party studios.

Wildest dreams/Never going to happen but...:

Nintendo has also been out buying studios recently and announces that Microsoft can't buy Konami/Capcom because Nintendo own them. Realistic shot: They could have got Platinum Games bought or signed a deal to make games exclusive for Nintendo hardware.

Goldeneye remake coming to Switch.

That studio that Lucasarts said you would never believe is making a Star Wars game, turns out it is Nintendo and they are making a Rouge Squadron game.

Most or if not all of what I have said should be taken with a pinch of salt, but that is what I would like to see.

zinkn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryudo: Nah that would require work.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: My guess is BOTW will be the big 2021 fall release and Nintendo will have a new trailer in late spring or so. Nintendo usually likes to focus only on the next five months or so.**

** HOWEVER, I just noticed that Jason Schreier expects a teaser, so hopefully I am wrong.

ConstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More than adding N64 games to a Virtual Console or Direct I would just like for the SNES and NES catalogues to be greatly expanded.

sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Silksong? That would be cool.

And/or No More Heroes 3.

My dark horse candidate is a remake (with various improvements) of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Eribuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Patiently waiting for the next F-Zero game! Heck, I would take a GX/AX remaster at this point. F-Zero SX

@ryudo:@beyblades99: @zinkn: Looks like the talk over is on the menu today!

hansberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Almost certainly Ghosts N' Goblins Resurrection and Capcom Arcade Stadium. Those are due next week. I expect that, if nothing else, they will reiterate that those titles are coming, with a some sort of short video on the former.

denisxcore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sawtooth: Skyward Sword remake would be awesome. I liked that game a lot and would love to play it again.

franzlska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryudo: A talk-over is on the upcoming slot on the front page, slated for about 2 hours from now.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By brian_

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 1

trh5001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By trh5001

I'd really like a new fire emblem.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo reveals world peace at last, also I finally hope they reveal all the uncles that work there.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollywoo said:

- Obviously a Smash character. Please no JRPG people. (Unless it's from Final Fantasy VI in which case, yes.) Thinking about third parties that Nintendo has a strong relationship with. Personally I'm rooting for Rayman. But maybe Master Chief? Or Dante?

Welp. Is anybody excited about more Xenoblade people? Oh well. I'm hoping for one more reveal.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Hell yeah new Mario Golf.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Octopath is game I wanted to like with all of my being. So yeah make a Fire Emblem like out of that style I'll try it again.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was pretty bad overall.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.