Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

SNES games on New 3DS: Which do you plan on getting?

• 65 results
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Poll SNES games on New 3DS: Which do you plan on getting? (240 votes)

Donkey Kong Country 12%
    Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest 10%
    EarthBound 36%
    F-Zero 8%
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 39%
    Pilotwings 6%
    Super Mario Kart 7%
    Super Mario World 39%
    Super Metroid 34%
    *none* 35%

...or which have you already gotten?

BTW, these games are only on New 3DS. Sorry, regular 3DS owners...

• 
    fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#1  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

So far the Nintendo online stores in Sweden only seems to have a small subsection even of what's available in the rest of Europe, so I'm not sure if any of the SNES games I'm interested in will be available here. Especially not since I'm mostly interested in the few flight sims and strategy games that were released on that platform, and that kind of stuff barely even seems to be available in the US or Japan. Actraiser, Populous, Wings 2, Super Strike Eagle, Turn and Burn and EA's Strike series would probably be the games I'd pick up instantly if they were available.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By falconer

I just got a N3DS (Pokémon bundle) and haven't previously owned a VC capable Nintendo machine. I'm buying the shit out of Super Mario World.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I already own most of these on Wii U, though I don't think Mario Kart is available there, so I might get that. Cross-buy when, Nintendo? :s

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By oldenglishc

I'd be into portable Mario World, but I just can't upgrade to the new 3DS until I see if the NX is going to make it obsolete.

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By InstantRyan

I'll probably get Earthbound, Super Mario World, and Link to the Past. Some 12 year old kid stole my GBC and ALTTP and I haven't played it since. It would be nice to own it again on a portable system.

Edit: I was thinking of Link's Awakening. RIP my memory and I guess I already bought ALTTP on my Wii U.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So is there an actual reason this isn't coming to regular 3DS, other than Nintendo's way to coerce people to buy new hardware? It seems like the old 3DS could play SNES from a technical perspective.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is there an actual reason this isn't coming to regular 3DS, other than Nintendo's way to coerce people to buy new hardware? It seems like the old 3DS could play SNES from a technical perspective.

I'm in that boat. As a person who has been practically begging for SNES games to come to 3DS, this choice seems like a little bit of a slap in the face. Oh well. I barely touch my 3DS anyway.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@hippie_genocide: a GBA could probably play snes games on that hardware so it's definitely Nintendo just wanting to push new 3ds sales.

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By InstantRyan

@hippie_genocide:I'm not well versed enough in the 3DS technology to tell what is BS or not but there's been a lot of discussion on r/3ds post announcement between people in the homebrew scene and those that are asking the same question as you. There have been some videos of a normal 3DS with homebrew set up running the announced SNES games and it doesn't look pretty (SMW movement was janky af). Hell, the Wii U has issues with input delay last time I checked. Might be interesting to take a look for yourself.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

None, because I have a regular 3ds. Fuck nintendo.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

Its weird that Pilot Wings is not coming out for Europe. Next week will be awesome, Link to the Past and Super Metroid.

GValo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Part of me wants to do the Gamestop deal and get the $100 trade in credit for my 3DSXL for the N3DSXL while its on sale for $175. An upgrade for $75 could be alright. But I don't NEED it and it would basically be for Earthbound and Zelda.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hippie_genocide: @hatking:

Basically there are technical reasons why doing an emulation won't work. The regular 3DS is just too slow. Whenever these games were brought onto handhelds before they were done as ports instead.

https://streamable.com/bfdd

There are a few in this list that I would like to get but I still have a regular 3DS. I wouldn't mind getting a N3DS but I don't want an XL and all the bundles are sold out in my area. I'm not gonna shell out $300+ for an old handheld.

JamesFargoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SMW and LttP. God I hope this is the last time I have to buy these games. The biggest thing they can do with the NX is unify the stores and let me redownload the VC games I already have (multiples of in some cases.) Sidebar: The emulation is perfect and the controls feel really good, super happy to have a portable SMW that is playable.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Should I buy a N3DS or wait for whatever the NX is?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Just Super Metroid. Thinking about Earthbound, but meeeeeeeeh

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By dagas

I've only got a 2DS and since it is incapable of playing old 2D games despite the name I will not get any of these games.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Error52

@hippie_genocide: It's probably extremely difficult, if not impossible, to do without being super hacky.

Homebrewers seem to back me up here

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh I see. I didn't realize the games were just being straight up emulated on the new 3ds and not a direct port. I suppose that makes more sense now but I still don't like it!

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Probably Earthbound and Super Metroid. I already own a few of the other ones on Wii U so hopefully you can do some kind of crossbuy thing, but I doubt that would happen. I wouldn't have bought them on Wii U if I knew they were coming to 3DS because I'd way rather play them on 3DS.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I loooooooooove that Pokemon red&blue New 3DS, the damn thing just feels so good. I already bought super Mario world, though I haven't had time to play it yet. I'm definitely going to get the games I already know I love like Zelda and donkey kong country. And as an embarrassing side note, I've never actually played Super Metroid or Earthbound so I might give those a shot

My only disappointment is that I know this won't go anywhere else from here, They'll never get around to really filling it the library and the prices are steeper that if hope, especially since they've got United accounts now.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

The ones I haven't played yet as they fill in some embarrassing holes in my gaming resume per say.

• Super Metroid
    • Earthbound
    • Piltowings
    • DKC 2

Not sure I want to repurchase the others again, given how Nintendo doesn't honor digital purchases on other Nintendo devices.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BisonHero

Are these SNES games more expensive than they were on the Wii and Wii U, or am I just being screwed by the exchange rate with the Canadian dollar?

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm holding off until they say if that will transfer to the NX. I'm tired of buying these over and over.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Virtual Console strikes back from the dead to disappoint me yet again :P

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In many ways I want the NX to be my classic console. I would like a legitimate gateway to Nintendo that can be tucked away super discretely.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@hatking said:
    @hippie_genocide said:

I'm in that boat. As a person who has been practically begging for SNES games to come to 3DS, this choice seems like a little bit of a slap in the face. Oh well. I barely touch my 3DS anyway.

I play my 3DS quite a bit and I agree. I'd even pay Nintendo's exorbitant prices to have some of these games on my 3DS. This makes me feel even more disappointed in Nintendo than when they announced GBA games were coming, but to the Wii U and not the 3DS.

@hippie_genocide: @hatking:

Basically there are technical reasons why doing an emulation won't work. The regular 3DS is just too slow. Whenever these games were brought onto handhelds before they were done as ports instead.

https://streamable.com/bfdd

There are a few in this list that I would like to get but I still have a regular 3DS. I wouldn't mind getting a N3DS but I don't want an XL and all the bundles are sold out in my area. I'm not gonna shell out $300+ for an old handheld.

I find that hard to accept. I had a PSP with CFW on it and I played several SNES games on it, Donkey Kong Country 2 and Super Metroid included, and the only issues were occasional slowdown and audio problems. If some guys coding away in their free time can do it on a handheld from 2004, surely Nintendo can get their own games running on their own much more powerful handheld from 2011.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I WAS going to buy pretty much every single one of those, then I couldn't download Mario world on the eshop...didn't know it was just for the "new 3ds"

Fuck Nintendo

Avatar image for berzerkercharon
    BerzerkerCharon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are these the only SNES games they're going to make available? I'd actually love to play Final Fantasy VI (I knew it as Final Fantasy III for SNES) again. But of the games offered, Super Metroid and maybe Zelda.

blueneurosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'm going to hold off on anything until they pickup the clue phone and hear about that whole "cross-buy" thing. So it'll be a while.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BisonHero

@berzerkercharon said:

Are these the only SNES games they're going to make available? I'd actually love to play Final Fantasy VI (I knew it as Final Fantasy III for SNES) again. But of the games offered, Super Metroid and maybe Zelda.

Fewer publishers are bothering with the Virtual Console at this point. The 3DS and Wii U Virtual Consoles have games published by Nintendo, Capcom, Konami, Sega, and a few others, but games owned by Square Enix are completely absent from the Wii U and 3DS, as far as I can tell. The original Wii Virtual Console has a handful of Square Enix games available on it, but that's it.

I don't expect Square Enix SNES games to appear on the 3DS Virtual Console, sadly. If they were going to at all, we would've gotten some Square Enix Game Boy games by now. Either Square Enix doesn't think it's worth the effort, or they have plans to rerelease those games elsewhere.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: It's all about the accuracy of the emulation. The more accurate it is, the more resources it takes to run. The one Nintendo is using is more accurate than things like ZSNES and such.

As for the 3DS being more powerful than a PSP, the PSP's CPU ran at 333mhz while the 3DS's CPU runs at 268mhz. The 3DS is also dual core but that's still not much in power difference.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: Yep! I remember hearing the GBA announcement and getting excited at the prospect of playing Advance Wars on my 3DS before hearing it was for Wii U. Of course it is.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super stupid that there's no cross-buy between Wii-U and 3DS, but it's Nintendo so of course they didn't implement it. I'd love to play Earthbound on my 3DS on the bus instead of the Wii-U where I originally bought it (because being limited to playing it at home is the reason I stopped playing it), but not enough to fork over more money for it.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie: Which is insane because they already have cross buy titles in the eshop. They've done the work for it already. They just decided to not let these titles be eligible.

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will never be buying a Nintendo re-hash release again, sorry Nintendo! I bought many of these games once already, so I'll emulate them now, thank you very much!

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hippie_genocide:I'm not well versed enough in the 3DS technology to tell what is BS or not but there's been a lot of discussion on r/3ds post announcement between people in the homebrew scene and those that are asking the same question as you. There have been some videos of a normal 3DS with homebrew set up running the announced SNES games and it doesn't look pretty (SMW movement was janky af). Hell, the Wii U has issues with input delay last time I checked. Might be interesting to take a look for yourself.

Homebrew emulators aren't as good as the official ones. You can't beat a large team of very smart people with all of the required documentation for both emulated platform and the one you run the emulator on.

Few examples: No homebrew attempt at emulating Playstation on PSP would go far. Yet Sony made a near perfect emulator. Same goes for PS2 on PS3, but that emu isn't as good.

Think about the 360 emulator on Xbox One... Still waiting for that 360 emu for much more powerful PCs...

This stuff is really hard to do and near impossible to make it work well with only few good programmers and sparse documentation. They also do this for free in their free time.

TLDR; You can't judge if the original 3DS would run the emu by the performance of homebrew emulators. This would probably run on a regular 3DS.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An NX.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just N3DS? Ha. Fuck you too Nintendo :)

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Can anyone confirm you can remap the buttons for these titles? Especially Super Mario World? I have Super Mario Deluxe and playing with B for run and A for jump is making me borderline psychotic.

Dalerax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have never played Super Metroid or A Link to the Past. I've been waiting for a 3DS way to play them. This is going to be great for me.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#42 fisk0  Moderator

@justin258: It's all about the accuracy of the emulation. The more accurate it is, the more resources it takes to run. The one Nintendo is using is more accurate than things like ZSNES and such.

As for the 3DS being more powerful than a PSP, the PSP's CPU ran at 333mhz while the 3DS's CPU runs at 268mhz. The 3DS is also dual core but that's still not much in power difference.

The 3DS certainly isn't powerful, but spec wise it seems pretty much comparable to a late 90's PC, and I could play SNES emulators without issues (apart from the sound not being very accurate which I think were due to them not quite having reverse engineered the sound chip yet rather than computing power?) on my Pentium II 233mhz back in 1998.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0: Like I said, it's about accuracy. Those old emulators weren't exactly accurate. If you remember, those old emulators had a plethora of specific settings and workarounds for individual games.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44 49th  Online

fucken idiot nintendo doesnt put the games on the regular 3ds

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already picked up Earthbound and Mario World, having never played them before.

SMW is damn hard !

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This might actually be what tips me into buy a new 3ds.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want gameboy advance games. Specifically final fantasy advance tacticw. Please.

But i will get super metroid and some others.

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I own Super Metroid, Earthbound, and DKC 1 and 2 from the WiiU eshop. I don't know that I hate myself enough to buy those again (well...again again seeing as how I still have some of those cartridges)

Mmmmm, fuck cross-buy. Right, Nintendo?

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I already have the ones I'd want on my Wii U and I'm not using my 3DS enough these days to justify buying them for the handheld.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Error52

@fisk0: emulators back then were hacky pieces of shit, that pretty much focused on the most popular games and just ran hacks to make them work instead of doing the proper legwork. Nintendo probably wants to avoid that since it's bad practice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.