Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

Was anyone else disappointed by Nintendo's Direct?

BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

I mainly play games by myself. I don't really play multiplayer games all that often but I'll jump in and play a little once every few months or so but that is it for me. My point is that multiplayer games don't really appeal to me unless they are something in addition to a solid SP game.

I gotta say, as a life long nintendo fan I am really dissapointed that Nintendo didn't announce more SP games during their direct. There were 12 games shown; 7 or which were MP focused. Of the remaining 5 games; 3 were JRPGs, 1 was a new mech game and then there was Hollow Knight (A great game, but a game that I have already finished on the PC). It really seems to me that unless you love MP or JRPGS there was very little to get excited about in this direct. Where was Pikmin or Metroid?

The multiplayer games themselves looks great. Smash looks amazing if you are a fan of the series and Mario Party looks like the game that fans have been asking for, so on that front I feel that Nintendo are really hitting the mark. But I am starting to feel that Nintendo have decided that the system will be mainly as a MP device from now, and that is fine, but as someone who plays a lot of SP games there was very little shown during the direct to get me excited as a Switch owner.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BisonHero

I assume you're talking about Nintendo's E3 presentation?

It's hard to say whether they have no other major titles in a showable state, or if their PR strategy just doesn't give as much of a fuck about E3 anymore. It didn't feel much like an E3 press conference; it seemed more like a dedicated Smash Bros. Nintendo Direct that happened to show a handful of other game trailers for the first 5-10 minutes. It seems like Super Mario Party and Smash Bros. are the only other major Nintendo-published releases for 2018, and I guess they didn't even want to tease any 2019 games.

It wouldn't surprise me if they do a few more Nintendo Directs later in 2018 that show more of their 2019 Switch lineup. I just get the impression that Nintendo is really taking it easy with regards to E3 these days; they probably could've cracked the whip and pushed some of their teams to have a trailer ready for E3, but I think Nintendo just doesn't care. They're probably going to have Nintendo Directs later this year focused on the kind of single player titles you're interested in.

Anyway, yeah, I share your disappointment. I enjoyed the first two Smash games, but my interest in the series dwindled as I generally played less local multiplayer with people. I think I only cared that much about Smash from maybe about 2000-2005 when it felt like the new hotness. Also, I treat Smash as a party game when it comes to the friends I play it with. As the owner of Smash among my friend group I often have to explain to my friends the changes/additions to the game compared to the last one they played, and I think some of the post-Melee characters and items are asinine additions that are overly unintuitive. I know it's a popular game series, but I'm kinda done with it at this point, so spending like 90% of the conference on Smash disappointed me personally.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Overall? Yes.

Worried about them focusing on stuff you don't like at all? Well, maybe they just literally didn't have anything else to really show.

I think taken as a whole it was pretty poor but last year was a very good lineup for them and things take time when almost every hit game you have comes from one of your own studios. You might have trepidation of what you'll play in the near future on your switch but I wouldn't count the thing out for the rest of it's life span yet.

BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Yeah, E3.It definitely felt like a Smash Bros Direct with some extra games thrown in more than anything else.

I hope they have more SP games up their sleeve for 2019; the rest of this year looks pretty grim for SP content and it still only June. Honestly, at this point I just want to know there they are working on some SP stuff. I have been on the fence about selling my Switch and after that E3 direct I am leaning towards doing it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NTM

Yeah, it wasn't good. Plus, Smash Ultimate doesn't really even look like a new game, it just looks like a definitive edition of the entire series. I'm not saying it looks bad, just that it in itself wasn't entirely exciting, and even worse by the fact they spent almost all the time showing that. I was hoping for some kind of Metroid talk. To be honest, all I am interested in now on the Switch is another Metroid game. I have no idea about a new Zelda or Mario or what have you.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care about smash so their direct did nothing for me. The best thing there was hollow knight finally coming out

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

In a word: yes. Granted this isn't the first time Nintendo has declined to try to compete in the hype stakes at E3, but the Smash patch notes segment was sort of crazy. There's a place for that kind of minutia, but as your prominent E3 presentation? I'm with Jeff, that was pretty bad. I was also disappointed they didn't go into detail on Fire Emblem more besides "here's what it looks like." Granted there will be more directs in the future on it, but overall Nintendo had the least exciting presentation of the platform holders.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think most people, yes.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I looked around the internet - mostly Reddit and here - after the Direct. Some people loved it - obviously, these people are way into the minutiae of Smash and buying the same fucking game with a new title. I have a friend who got super excited after seeing it. Most people, however, seemed to be disappointed in the Nintendo show. And rightly so - they had a whole day of Treehouse shows to talk about the minutiae of Smash Bros. People interested in that could have gotten just as pumped watching Smash somewhere else, and those not as interested could have had an E3 showing with better, longer demonstrations of more games. Fire Emblem clearly has had some work put into it, are you really telling me there are no more details on that? Or the Xenoblade DLC? Or Mario Party? I know Octopath Traveler is coming out soon, something else on that could have been cool. I sure hope Nintendo has something else up their sleeves for the Switch this year, otherwise it's going to be yet another Nintendo console that I look at occasionally before going to play something else.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I mean yes, I would've liked to see some Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 but these Directs can happen whenever, hopefully we'll see more before the next e3.

(I'd probably be more angry if I wasnt playing Hollow Knight obsessively since the Direct)

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Dan summed it best when he said something along the lines of the Switch came out of a great first year with a ton of momentum. It's still an exciting system with lots of exciting games coming out, so the fact they chose to dedicate nearly the whole presentation broadcasted during the biggest gaming event of the year to a very narrow slice of the Smash community is baffling. It was some ol' bullshit.

I forgot who pointed it out during the livestream, but it was like they were reading patch notes the whole time. Seriously, how many people who weren't competitive Smash players truly found it interesting? "We changed the way this character charges their special!" and "now this character's move properties are completely different in the air!" What in the fuckity fuck fuckmuffins was any of that.They couldn't save this for another Direct closer to release? They had absolutely nothing else to show?

Again, I'm not worried Nintendo doesn't have any games or anything. Lord knows that's not a problem at all. The Switch has a bright future ahead. It just feels like this Direct was made for a very specific group of people and I would've loved to known that before going in so I didn't waste my time.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By damodar

I don't think it would be terribly surprising for the switch to have a little bit of a dry spell, Nintendo probably tried to consolidate a bunch of big titles for the Switch launch year and now there's a bit of a lull. Combining that with the way Nintendo have kind of taken to only really showing stuff due out the year they're showing them and the fact that I don't think they really place thaaaat much importance on E3, it's not too surprising that they didn't say a great deal.

What was surprising was they decided to dedicate so much time to smash and deal with a fair (f-air?) bit of minutiae.

Personally, I found it fairly hilarious. Some of those smash changes DO sound good though!

You don't like JRPGs? Games don't get much more single player!

BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@damodar said:

You don't like JRPGs? Games don't get much more single player!

Sure but not everyone likes JRPGs. I don't mind an occasional JRPGs but considering that of the 5 non-multiplayer games, 3 of them were JRPGS. That is really excessive!

TheRealSeaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheRealSeaman

I disliked the emphasis on Smash because A) I don't care for Smash and B) That community will now feel even more entitled than they already do.

25+ minutes on any game is a hard sell, so making it just a compilation of super moves or whatever for Smash made it even worse...

Brand-Old

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Brand-Old
    nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My main source of disappointment was that they didn't have one more surprise after Smash was over and done with to keep me starstruck for next year. And I do wish there was one more first-party surprise during the main segment.

But I can't be too disappointed because they did exactly what they said. They said E3 would be focusing on Smash, and focus they did even though it went overboard. And as excited as I am for Metroid, I wasn't expecting any news on it. They didn't even have screenshots or concept art last year, just a logo, so it's still a ways off. Hollow Knight was a nice surprise though.

As for the state of the Switch, no way am I writing it off yet. This year may have been a bit of a slow one, but last year was fantastic. New games in pretty much every series I enjoy were announced. Zelda, two new Marios (one an new IP), two new Metroids, new Kirby, two new Sonics, and probably something else I'm forgetting. I was frankly spoiled by Nintendo last year, so I knew this year was never gonna compare, and I still got something out of it. I finally picked up Splatoon 2 thanks to their E3 sale and Hollow Knight is next on my list. And they've still got plenty of games I want coming out like Octopath, Crash, Pokemon and Captain Toad. Not to mention that I still have quite the backlog to go through on my old consoles.

So despite a kind of bare E3, I'm quite happy with my Switch.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingbonesaw: Yea that is what I am more disappointed about; no showing of Metroid Prime 4 or that Pokemon game. While I am a huge Animal Crossing fan, I can let it go since there wasn't a real announcement for the game and I know that team is/was busy with the Splatoon 2 Expansion. Announcing the game development for last year, but no updates for this year felt really odd.

As for Smash, I kinda feel that that including the entire roster now is going to create problems later because now, you have to include the entire roster for every game on future games or else it will be a step down. I do love Smash, but not 25 minutes worth of Smash.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I’m not really a Nintendo guy (I have fun with a game or two of theirs a generation), but the reactions from Giant Bomb’s editors were pretty damning.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, Hollow Knight was nice. Besides that, they didn't really give me any reasons to turn on my Switch for the remainer of the year. Of course there are a few upcoming games I already know of, that I'm cautiously interested in, but something else sure would've been great too.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I put over 500 hours into Nintendo last year. They almost completely dominated my year insofar as gaming was concerned. If anything, I'm maybe a little thankful that they're not dropping many more big games in the near future.

Expecting anything on Metroid Prime 4 was obviously unrealistic. You know last year is when they gave the go-ahead to production on that game, it's a 2020 game at best.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nintendo havent been into showong games far off from release for a while and the post e3 i terview confirmed that. What was shown at the last direct couldve been saved for e3 but rather than wait they let it out. Its no surprise the first direct sort of forced by an external factor is the one with the least star power.

breq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't been persuaded to buy a Nintendo system since Resident Evil 4 for Gamecube. It just always seems like they lack enough games to justify a console purchase from me. The Switch looks to be moving in the right direction and I'm excited for them in the coming years, but man....this E3 was a desert. It looks like they're pulling a Splatoon 2 with Smash and just adding stuff to a port of the previous game. The indie games are fine, but not what I'm looking for. Wake me up when they have a BRAND NEW Animal Crossing game.

kadaju86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe not so much disappointed as just annoyed at how bloody much they felt they needed to show of Smash. I can't stand that series, the controls are utter garbage for a fighting game, but with how many people enjoy them I would not have minded at all if that was what they ended with as like a 5 minute segment or maybe even 10. Then it just kept going... and going.... and going... and going... I don't think I've ever felt mentally exhausted from a press conference or Direct before, but they sure did it with all that Smash :P All that stuff should have been left for the Treehouse stuff just after the Direct rather.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NINTENDO IS DEAD!!!

is what we always shout at this point right?

It was somewhat ill conceived but Nintendo will do fine. As always people stumble over each other to exaggerate even harder how bad it was and quite frankly seem out to get their pound of flesh from them. If you think of it as a direct it's fine.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Teddie

The weirdest part is that they used their (potentially) biggest advertising space of the year to sell Smash to people who were already going to buy Smash no matter what, with the way they focused so much on gameplay minutia and balancing. I'd be interested to know how much of their general audience they pushed away with that showing (though I imagine it's not enough to make a remotely noticeable dent in their sales).

peteycoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seemed fine

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I got what I wanted out of it. Some goddamn Fire Emblem news and I couldn't be more excited. I do wish there were more games, like Bayo 3 but yeah.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If you aren't a huge Smash fan, then yeah, you probably were.

I thought it was their worst presentation since the Wii era..

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah, i'll add to the echo that smash does nothing for me. i'm eager to try that new fire emblem, but who knows when that will be out.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really think a lot of it is that Nintendo doesn't really care much about E3 specifically any more. They announce stuff when they feel like it and if it happens to line up with E3 that's great, but they're not pushing teams to prepare teasers etc. Currently they want people to be hyped about Smash so that's what they focused on.

Remember when they did a whole E3 without mentioning Switch?

Agreed it kinda sucks if you really don't care about Smash, but TBH if you're relying on PR to keep you interested in a console then maybe its better to not have your interest artificially stoked. Personally, I think there's still enough announced good stuff on the way to keep my Switch on; I like Smash well enough but these days the only time I'd be playing that is while visiting family at Christmas.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@quantris said:

I really think a lot of it is that Nintendo doesn't really care much about E3 specifically any more. They announce stuff when they feel like it and if it happens to line up with E3 that's great, but they're not pushing teams to prepare teasers etc. Currently they want people to be hyped about Smash so that's what they focused on.

Remember when they did a whole E3 without mentioning Switch?

Agreed it kinda sucks if you really don't care about Smash, but TBH if you're relying on PR to keep you interested in a console then maybe its better to not have your interest artificially stoked. Personally, I think there's still enough announced good stuff on the way to keep my Switch on; I like Smash well enough but these days the only time I'd be playing that is while visiting family at Christmas.

Yeah, this is just in line with how Nintendo has been operating for awhile now. They know they can have a new Direct every couple months and spread their news out so everything gets equal attention, rather than having to fight with themselves for headlines.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Yeah I was. I expected it though, felt like Nintendo pushed all their chips into the center of the table for the Switch's first year to save the company. I expect Switch years 3 & especially 4 to be better.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By Evilsbane

This was their year, they could have just blown it out of the park, they needed to talk about so much and they didn't even try. Unfortunately it's predictable at this point, still love my Switch and I've been waiting for Hollow Knight. The online service launch is just a few months away, no mention of it anywhere.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am a Nintendo fan girl, and honestly I felt like this years direct wasn't very good. I mean sure they had some good stuff, but nothing amazing. I mean they didn't even mention Yoshi which was suppose to be coming out this year.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The laser focus on Smash Bros seemed a bit weird given the complete silence on their online service. Also, how does Dark Souls Remastered still not have a firm launch date?

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@naoiko: Yoshi got pushed to next year.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By hermes

If you mean the conference, well... yes.

They presented a game that is mostly a collection of the series (like MK3 Ultimate or something), with an obscene amount of detail. It certainly didn't make people that are not already obsessively interested in SMB interested in Nintendo as a product. They took a yearly event and used it as a single game advertisement, where live presence was completely unnecessary. I mean, they couldn't spare a few minutes to show Bayonetta 3 or Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu because it was very important to show that Rockman and Fiora appears in the animation of a special move, Pacman is faster and Falco's animation is different than Fox's and Wolf's?

Considering many people consume only E3 as their window into gaming news*, to make it look like there is nothing of interest other than a handful of games is a wasted opportunity. I guess other games will come to focus on future Nintendo Directs but they are going to have a fraction of the public than on E3, and very little of the non specialized press presence.

* It was enough that a bad E3 conference was enough to dump a lot of anticipation for the XBox 1 for years.

awadnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me not really. Sure it is not a perfect direct but a very good one!

Maybe because I am a big fan of Super Smash Bros. series and SSBU looks great and took a big portion of this direct.

Second, it showed another favorite series to me which is Mario Party. What is good about the new Super Mario Party is returning to the roots with its classical board gameplay, also you can play it online with other players which is a great new addition!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.