Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

What are some other performance messes made by Nintendo?

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey all, like a lot of people I've been playing a lot of BotW. As we all know, this game has plenty of framerate problems and so on, but it only occasionally bothers me. However, it does really stand out to me, because Nintendo usually doesn't put out games that perform this poorly. And sure, there are a million reasons for it, but that's already been thoroughly covered elsewhere.

But, since I've started playing it, I've been thinking back to all the first party Nintendo games I've played, and trying to remember some other first party games by them that have performed anywhere near as poorly from a technical perspective, and I'm having trouble thinking of any. Granted, there are a lot of Nintendo games I haven't played, so I know there have to be a few. So my question is, can any of you think of any more Nintendo games with crazy technical problems?

-I heard OG Mario Kart 8's local multiplayer had some problems, but I never checked it out. That's about the only one I can think of.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How much N64 did you play?

I seem to recall Mario Sunshine having its fair share of issues as well.

Ketta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, OoT and MM run at 18 FPS each, so that's one thing.

If I didn't have such nostalgia for them I would never be able to play them today (not counting the 3DS releases).

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo's quality assurance on games is fantastic I can't think of any with problems major or minor, but their certainly lacking with hardware getting a 3DS with dual IPS screens is almost impossible and good luck getting one with the colours calibrated correctly.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure what Nintendo games you've been playing, but outside of core Mario games, Breath of the Wild is pretty much par for the course performance wise.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By The_Nubster

I'm not sure what Nintendo games you've been playing, but outside of core Mario games, Breath of the Wild is pretty much par for the course performance wise.

What are some examples? BotW's frame drops are pretty exceptional in my experience. Even their earlier games which ran at a lower framerate as was pointed out, at least ran smoothly. (Majora's Mask had slowdown whenever you would hit a Shiekah statue, though.)

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Ocarina of Time ran like absolute dogshit, same with Majora's Mask.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I played Wind Waker HD on Wii U a few months ago and that thing loves to chug.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Pokemon Sun chugged alarmingly often.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea the performance issues is killer for BoTW. Last night I was having some issues with the Vah Rundania divine beast. For whatever reason, it kept freezing the game and making some weird error sounds. It would eventually resolve itself, but man, that is just a shame. I am playing on the Wii U as well if anyone is interested.

Coming from the PC, I don't really enjoy subpar 30 fps. I am nearly done with the game (about to fight Ganon) but I definitely don't have the drive to try and 100% the game like I did with Windwaker.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I've had some insane near lock-ups with BotW, specifically when fighting Electric Lizalfos near any other complicated environmental shit (rain, or lots of foliage, or both). It just completely locks for a solid like 2-4 seconds when I knock the Lizalfos down enough that it ragdolls; it seems like the ragdoll in combation with the other stuff going on reeeeeally slows down the framerate for a second or two.

@hunkulese said:

What are some examples? BotW's frame drops are pretty exceptional in my experience. Even their earlier games which ran at a lower framerate as was pointed out, at least ran smoothly. (Majora's Mask had slowdown whenever you would hit a Shiekah statue, though.)

I tend to agree. BotW is a pretty big exception.

First party Nintendo games rarely have this kind of wildly inconsistent framerate, or any other really major graphical issues. The Wii had a couple issues with bad scripting that make a save file unfinishable (Twilight Princess and Metroid: Other M each had a fairly specific way you could accidentally break the scripting so the next story event would just never trigger), but I can't think of general performance issues being this bad. Majora's Mask had some framerate drops in some areas for sure, but I remember it being a lot of when you transitioned from one minizone to another, where since that game tried to not have too much fog sometimes it let you see a little more environment at once than the N64 could really handle. Sure, you could argue that the overall framerate of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were kinda low, but the vast majority of the time that framerate was pretty consistent. At least Nintendo knew the limits and went with what worked.

The framerate in BotW is just all over the place.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nicksmi56

The only one I've played where performance issues were actually notable was Pokemon Y.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@bisonhero: I just experienced the lockups you're describing. I was fighting a Moblins in water, during a thunderstorm, with electric gear. I thought it was going to crash several times

JayPB08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By JayPB08

Anything on the N64 that wasn't F-Zero or Smash Bros; other than that though, I can't think of anything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.