Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

Why do people hate Nintendo?

• 146 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By AlexW00d

I don't hate nintendo, they just don't do anything I care about.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Darji

@illuminosopher said:

@darji: Expensive yes but gimmick trash I don't except that for a second I think it's one of the better controllers ever invented.

and for them to get out of the hardware business, the 3DS says hi.

How is it one of the best controllers ever invented? It is used for very few games in the first place. The quality of the touchscreen is also very very low.

As for the 3DS. It is still selling way under Nintendo's expectations and they are also missing 3rd party support. western developer rather go to IOS and tablets instead the 3DS. In the west sales are not good as well as sofware should be way higher as well. Also why did they go with a 2DS if the 3DS was so successful in the first place? Nintendo is missing a lot of direction and understanding of the current market. What will happen after the 3DS? IOS and tablets are getting bigger and more popular. How would a new Nintendo handheld look like which also could be successful?

Illuminosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Illuminosopher

@darji: "How is it one of the best controllers ever invented?"

1. Size of the controller is very comfortable for small or large hand. Just plain comfortable after 300 hrs of monster hunter I can tell

2. playing games off the tv is a nice feature to have in fact I think it's a great one.

3. I like being able to draw on the Miiverse with it.

4.while I can agree that maybe it's not being used to it full potential I have to stop and think would I want them to make you use the multi screen and touch pad all the time and the answer is no using it for off screen play and maps and inventory management and browsing the internet is enough for me for the time being until something like animal crossing comes around and I can use it for designing stuff or a RTS like game comes along and I can use it for troop management.

That is all I can come up with right now but that is more then I could come up with for any other controller out right now.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Nintendo has always marched to their own beat. That's what has made them great, but it also sometimes alienates them when they're doing stuff that is completely confounding.

There are lots of reasons why people don't like Nintendo. Some people just don't like the whimsical nature of their games, some feel abandoned by them in the past several years because of their preoccupation with crappy motion controls and a willingness to greenlight cascades of shovelware to pour like a waterfall into the market, some people are just haters and want to see them fail just cuz. Lots of reasons.

One thing's for certain, though, Nintendo relies upon big, sweeping innovations. They're a feast or famine company, always swinging for the long ball. When they connect, I think they're the best gaming company out there. When they miss, it's pretty ugly (Virtual Boy, a lot of the Wii, the whole WiiU, all the fucking garbage peripherals for the NES). This yo-yo shit gets old, and a lot of gamers feel understandably jerked around by them, especially those of us who grew up with such a special connection to their games.

They need to figure a way to preserve their looseness and experimental bend but add a little predictability. The Wii was a very frustrating tease. Despite the fact that it had some of the best games of last generation to me (especially Galaxy), those games could have been on the Cube. With a controller. And now with the WiiU coming out limp, a lot of us out throwing our hands up.

I really hope they get it together, because I do not hate Nintendo at all. I very badly want them to stay around and stay healthy.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: "How is it one of the best controllers ever invented?"

1. Size of the controller is very comfortable for small or large hand. Just plain comfortable after 300 hrs of monster hunter I can tell

2. playing games off the tv is a nice feature to have in fact I think it's a great one.

3. I like being able to draw on the Miiverse with it.

4.while I can agree that maybe it's not being used to it full potential I have to stop and think would I want them to make you use the multi screen and touch pad all the time and the answer is no using it for off screen play and maps and inventory management and browsing the internet is enough for me for the time being until something like animal crossing comes around and I can use it for designing stuff or a RTS like game comes along and I can use it for troop management.

That is all I can come up with right now but that is more then I could come up with for any other controller out right now.

But all of this could be handled with the 3DS instead of a new console at all. That is why the Wii U is such a big misconception. Yes people like to play it in their bedroom yes people like to draw on Miiverse but why with a controller i you could do the same thing with the 3DS much better and also cheaper? The Wii U is just not different enough from their handheld. Look how a game like Smashbrothers will be available for both the Wii U and the 3DS. Also if they only had one device they concentrate much more on games but instead they spend millions and millions of $ and these games do not even sell well because of this very low hardware base. The Wii U just makes no sense at all.

Illuminosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Illuminosopher

@darji: I prefer to play my games on a large screen but little doses of touch screen and off screen play go a long way, "it's there when I need it" is a perfect way of putting it.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I don't hate Nintendo.

Nintendo is just sticking to an old system of video game business and they need to get with the times. They need to be more open with their fans, more accepting of their fans way of enjoying their works, and more open to the internet and figure out what makes it work.

Nintendo is by no means doomed, but they certainly need to get with the times. Without Nintendo, we'd have virtually no real family oriented video games it seems. I think that's kind of sad, personally.

Not all video games need to be made for Mature audiences. It seems like most are outside of Nintendo. The way Nintendo attempted to correct things was by bringing in more "core" focused games. Of course, that hasn't gone anywhere and shouldn't be what Nintendo should focus on. Unfortunately they cater to a fickle audience who aren't going to stick around long. They need to come up with a plan to offset this.

They'll be fine, though. They aren't doomed. 3DS is doing fine. I know their financials are down, but they will figure it out.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By mercutio123

We live in a world where Nintendo is forced to struggle, yet Apple is allowed to thrive.

It's a sad world really.

This is a ridiculous statement. Nintendo were never forced to struggle, they struggle because of their decisions. Like it or not Apple caters to a hell of a lot of people that really enjoy their devices

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Canteu

The 3DS is amazing, until you compare it to the DS which is the best thing Nintendo has ever done. Everything else they do is complete garbage, the same 20 year old garbage.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Shin Megami Tensei 4 is still not out in Europe.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I don't hate Nintendo as a company, but I hate their recent decisions, particularly with regard to the Wii U. From the outset, I've thought that thing is really dumb, and the hardware specs aren't doing them any favors with third parties or consumers like me who value power in a machine. I enjoy Nintendo software, but I really hope they learn some lessons from the Wii U about what developers and consumers are looking for in a console.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Darji

looks like Nintendo is done...

Defines entertainment =improving quality of life QOL in the next 10yrs is to improve this, first area is health, want to find blue ocean

QOL could do wearable devices but wants to leapfrog that to non wearable devices by Nintendo, want to propose healthy structure for day2day

Thinks there will be synergies between games platform and QOL platform

QOL platform with roll out in April 2015,integrated with games, business plan details in 2014, business impact in fiscal year mar 2016

https://twitter.com/gibbogame

So basically a quality of Life platform with focus on health. Nintendo had a good run.

Illuminosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Are you saying that good health is bad?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Darji

@illuminosopher said:

@darji: Are you saying that good health is bad?

Are you saying you want that as a gamer? From Nintendo?

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#65  Edited By Brackynews

For some people, jumping on bandwagons is literally the only activity they do, physical or otherwise.

Illuminosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: are you saying you think that from a broken translation on twitter that is all Nintendo is going to do?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Darji

@illuminosopher said:

@darji: are you saying you think that from a broken translation on twitter that is all Nintendo is going to do?

Here is what they are going to do:

Wii U

- The problem is that people think it's an accessory for Wii

- They can't cut the price

- The Gamepad needs to be emphasized more

- The first game to emphasize the Gamepad will be Mario Kart 8, which uses off-tv play

- They will announce NFC games at E3.

General Direction

- No major changes in company's direction

- Further hardware R&D will continue

- They won't release games on other peoples platforms, including mobile

- They want to have a platform where the platform is not the device, but rather the user (IE integrated over multiple hardware platforms)

- They are considering a streaming service

- They have solved technical hurdles related to Virtual Consoles

- They will license characters to new partners -- it's unclear if this means merchandise or games

Other stuff

- Nintendo wants to get into health care and wellness and lifestyle products

- They want to improve your quality of life

- This has nothing to do with games

- They want to announce ways to make you healthy

- This will not involve wearable devices because there are too many of those.

- This is integrated with games

- This will launch in April 2015

This will not help at all. Using smart phones not to make money but use it as advertising alone is a very bad idea in itself. Just open up all classics VC on smartphones and they could make a lot of money. Trying to get people away from IOS over to Nintendo with these apps or advertising will not work. And in the meantime their stocks go down and down. Of course Investors are not happy about this.

Illuminosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: So as a business expert you are saying none of this will help Nintendo, you should totally get on the horn with them and tell them this because obviously you know best.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Darji

@illuminosopher said:

@darji: So as a business expert you are saying none of this will help Nintendo, you should totally get on the horn with them and tell them this because obviously you know best.

They don't want to change anything at all. Yes you will get a better account system, yes you will somehow get more which are using the screen function. Which is by the way funny since their next game Donkey Kong does not use it at all. But this will not help. This is why they are in such a deep shit with the Wii U. They will not drop the price.at all. Iwata just doesn't understand anything at all. He really needs to go. And that as fast as possible. And no I am no expert but I am pretty sure I have a better understanding of the market than Iwata has. Most of the people would have that.

also it is ridiculous to think that their profit will come from the 3DS a device which hardware sales will go down more and more and same with software. There won't be another pokemon that rescued Nintendo this year.

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's some more fuel - Nintendo says its future is fitness!

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-will-release-new-platform-in-2015-but-its-ab-1512068419

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#71  Edited By Hailinel
    stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't think anyone "hates" Nintendo, but I know a lot of people are getting tired of Nintendo making (more or less) the same dozen or so games for the last 30 years without changing much. I'd say its frustrating more than anything. There is so much potential there and Nintendo has wasted it every step of the way. It's sad, really.

As far as them failing, I don't think anyone wants that to happen, but when you read about the horrible sales and marketing and all of the bullshit that has been happening it's kind of hard not to think of them as being in serious trouble. First-Party Nintendo games are great, but they can't survive just on making those dozen or so games a year alone, and on top of that, the quality of those games has dropped off somewhat in recent years and haven't been selling very well at all (at least not compared to their competition).

They are in a really bad spot here and if they don't shift gears and change things around quickly I can't see them being around for much longer - at least not as they are now, but more likely a smaller software-only publisher/developer..

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Darji

3DS dominates in Japan so 3rd party want to develop for, overseas console dominates with developers focused on console and not portable.But thinks with 3DS having 10m installed base developers are more interested, WiiU rebound will see 3rd party follow

Is Iwata serious? How? Next gen consoles and also software sell like crazy why would anyone go back to a dead system to develop totally unique games since the Wii U will not be able to handle next gen games?

Illuminosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Illuminosopher

@darji: Maybe because they are going to license their IP out to 3rd party's maybe I don't know, still exited about the NDS virtual console.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Darji

@illuminosopher said:

@darji: Maybe because they are going to license their IP out to 3rd party's maybe I don't know, still exited about the NDS virtual console.

On licensing model says won't do Sanrio model but prefer not to follow other's model, wallpaper on smart phones could happen

I do not think other people will make Nintendo games it is more like that. But even if who want to make these games? With a very low hardware base there is no logical reason for 3rd parties to jump on Nintendo IPs at all. But hey at least you will get some cool Mario wallpapers on your smartphone. This will save Nintendo

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

because people want Nintendo games but they don't want to have to buy Nintendo hardware to play them.

So they think this means Nintendo will release their games where people want to play them. I seriously it doubt Nintendo will ever willingly do that (or should), but that's what a lot of people hope/want.

It's mostly not malicious, just purely self interest.

and then of course confirmation bias. If you didn't buy a Nintendo console and feel guilty about it, then you feel better if Nintendo appears to fail. It might even make you feel "smart" or like you "called it".

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Because video gamers love to hate video games and all that comes with it.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By soulcake

It's not hate they just made a console most off us don't want.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cause they wont go third party

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#82  Edited By egg

@acidbrandon18:

Nintendo software is massively overrated.

Threads like these have probably something to do with why Nintendo is hated.

when nintendo releases a game it gets more praised by default.

N succeeds beyond their actual relevance all because they are put on on a pedestal 24/7.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

We support too much of anyone who has a soap box to rant. And pretty much 99% of the time it's because they amuse us.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#85  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@claude said:

Because video gamers love to hate video games and all that comes with it.

Truth.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@soapy86 said:

Speculating about a company's future =/= hating a company.

I totally agree

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

Because people love to hate.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Don't bother listening to armchair quarterbacks on gaming forums unless they have at least an MBA and years of experience running a company themselves.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Why do people assume that because people don't like the Wii U that they hate Nintendo?

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I like Nintendo. I own a Wii U and a 3DS. But, they have problems. That company needs change.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

I don't think its hate so much as anger. A lot of gamers trace their gaming lineage to Nintendo. There's a lot of nostalgia there, and Nintendo didn't grow up with us as video game players like Sony did, instead they've aged down.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#92  Edited By AndrewB

They don't always have excellent software, and much of it would be better served to be on other existing software platforms which offer more technical prowess to enhance the visuals and level of sophistication in other areas. Nintendo can continue to ride on the need for a dedicated gaming handheld that isn't solely reliant on touch mechanics, but their home consoles have been superfluous for a long while now (much as I loved the Gamecube, nothing it had to offer could not have been had on either of the competing PS2/XBox consoles).

The big thing about Nintendo exiting the home console market would be less competition, but when you think about it, what competition are they offering right now? They've been so beholden to their first-party titles for so long that they aren't even a factor on third-party releases. Since the one-hit-wonder of Wii Sports and the Wii console, they simply haven't been a factor.

They make great handhelds (could still probably use more modern technology like a capacitive touchscreen for the 3DS and reasonable resolution), they make (mostly) great games. Make handhelds, make great games for other existing hardware. Nothing is lost, and everything is gained.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I resent that I can't play games some of the games I want to play because they are married to an apparently outdated business model. It seems like it's in everyone's best interest to give me what I want.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't say I "hate" them, but the fact that I've never enjoyed any of their first party games, mixed with the fact that I think their last good console was the SNES, just makes them woefully out of touch, and easily my least favorite of the big 3.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't hate on Nintendo but my love for them doesn't exist like it used to. The people that grew up with Nintendo are now in their late 20s and 30s but Nintendo aren't making games that appeal to the tastes of them and continue to focus on kids and family gaming whilst doing very little that's actually new. They are in a situation that somewhat opposite to Sega's where Sega could stand to really abuse some of their franchises yet they focus solely on Sonic (fucking Sonic fans) while Nintendo are staying extremely safe and are releasing what seems like nothing but Mario games lately (inc Luigi).

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

They're assholes about their properties and how they can be used/imitated, they take massive cuts (larger than any other console maker) of any profit made from a third party title, they don't support their products after launch, all their hardware (and the non-game software supporting it) was obsolete almost a decade ago. As a game developer, I like them a lot. Nintendo games are usually amazing quality, really show love for the fans and are just plain fun. It's the business side of Nintendo that I absolutely hate.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Marcsman

I don't hate them. Some of my best memories are the NES & SNES. Hell I even liked the Gamecube. They just have become irrelevant to the modern gamer.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

i don't see many people outright hating nintendo. at least not here on this site

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Legion_

People don't hate Nintendo. People love Nintendo. You know how people care more when their loved ones makes mistakes? It's like that. People are just tired of Nintendo making the same mistakes over and over.

I say ditch hardware and focus on the thing they do best, software. It's only pride and past glory that's keeping them in the hardware business.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like any of thir franchises apart from smash bros. I bought an original Wii for £30 a couple of months ago becauseee thats how much I value their franchises

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.