Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nioh

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Feb 07, 2017

A historical action game loosely based on the story of English samurai William Adams, as he helps slay the yokai that infest Sengoku-era Japan while hunting down a malicious alchemist.

Has anyone found a good guide for the soul forging side of things?

Kinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As per the title, the soul forging stuff is the only area I feel like im missing out on due to not understanding it clearly enough?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Soul forging is a way to level up your items. Let's say you have a level 13 purple weapon that's pretty good. If you soul forge with that as a base, and add a shitty level 18 weapon on top, you will make the purple become level 18 instead. Basically making it a more powerful version of the weapon you already had. Doing this however resets your familiarity, so you have to take into account that it might start off less powerful as you build that up again. Doin this is pretty expensive, especially as you find higher level gear. I'm only level 50 or so, and I already soul forged a weapon for 80 000 gold. Probably best to ignore the feature until late in the game.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@kinny said:

As per the title, the soul forging stuff is the only area I feel like im missing out on due to not understanding it clearly enough?

The official Nioh wiki has a fairly good explanation of things. But generally speaking:

1. To soul forge, you need two pieces of equipment - a base piece of equipment to improve and a material equipment that will be consumed.

2. If the base equipment is a lower level than the material equipment, the base equipment will increase to the level of the material equipment.

3. For weapons, the base equipment can inherit a trait of the material equipment. An inheritable trait is denoted by a |-| like symbol. For this to happen:

• The material equipment must be of max familiarity
    • The base equipment must be of the same type as the material equipment. This means melee weapons must be matched with melee weapons and ranged weapons must be matched with ranged weapons.
    • Finally, the base equipment cannot have a "competing" trait to the one being inherited. This is something the game completely does not explain. The wiki is really helpful here, but essentially, all abilities come from "pools" of abilities. A weapon may only have a single ability from any given pool, so if the base weapon already has a trait from the same pool you are trying to inherit, the inheritance doesn't take.
    • To get rid of the competing trait, you can re-roll it with the reforge option.

4. Expense is based on the original level of the base equipment, the number of levels gained, and the quality of the equipment. You get a discount if a weapon is at max familiarity.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@lawgamer: That explains things. I have a near-OP double swords now. I get life steal on hit, deal fire damage and some more goodness. I want it to inherit the skill of another weapon and it wouldn't take it without telling me why. Must be that I have a skill from a similar pool on it already. Hope it's easy to identify which is it.

Kinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cheers for the help folks!!

deathfromace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Hopefully they change the cost. I've found it easier and more rewarding to find a place a lot of people die and keep pvping. They will sooner or later drop the item you are wanting and costs nothing.

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

You don't really need to engage with soul matching until ng+ but it is nice the option is there. It is certainly futile to try to soul match something you got in the first level and hold it through til the end of the game, the cost is just too overbearing and frankly, if you are going to engage in ng+ in any way, is a waste of gold. In ng+ you will use it a lot, since it is the only way to raise the +level of equipment.

At endgame, all equipment is level 150 and no higher, but can have a +modifier (150+1, 150+2, etc, up to +10). Feeding a +1 to a +0 will make it +1, then feeding a +1 to a +1 will make a +2, a +2 to a +2 makes a +3 and so on. The cost for this is quite cheap in comparison to bringing up a low level item so your gold is better saved for this if you want to go down the perfect loot rabbit hole that ng+ offers you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.