Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nioh

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Feb 07, 2017

A historical action game loosely based on the story of English samurai William Adams, as he helps slay the yokai that infest Sengoku-era Japan while hunting down a malicious alchemist.

Is the DLC for this any good?

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Can I expect to get something like one of my favorite moments of 2017 out of the season pass:

I know the later parts of this game are just not nearly as good as this fight as the whole RPG/Diablo loot throws the difficulty and balance of the game completely out of wack. Is this something they fix in the DLC? Can I relive the grueling gauntlet of this boss fight that took me 20-30 tries and required mastery or is the DLC a uneventful cake walk like the later parts of the game?

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By pyrodactyl

Anyone actually played it?

Tankess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to know your opinion too.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I'm surprised no one had posted on this. I came on to ask the same question. Nioh is one of my favorite games of last year, and I was curious what people thought about this games DLC. Can anyone post their thoughts on this five-month-old thread? Do the DLC just give new environments with new enemies/bosses, or does it also have some story to it? I know the story isn't the main reason to play Nioh, but what was there I enjoyed well enough that it was a part that kept me going too alongside the gameplay. Also, anyone fight Jin Hayabusa?

Milijango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@ntm: I found the DLC to be solid, as in 7/10. It's fairly short; at my pace each one took 2-3 hours. I liked the two new weapons a lot, whereas the missions themselves range from mediocre to pretty good. My two biggest issues with vanilla Nioh - that the environments and enemies were extremely static throughout the entire game - weren't resolved here. Each one also adds an additional difficulty tier but that stuff was too loot-driven to ever catch my interest.

The three DLCs are part of a story arc that takes place directly after the main game; if you were good with the amount & style of storytelling there then you'll have no complaints with this one.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milijango: Yeah, my issue with Nioh isn't so much the environments themselves, but the fact that the side missions just put a new coat of paint on the same main mission level which wasn't that interesting to me. I think it would have been better if they totally changed up the level structure with similar assets (to signify that it's around the same location as the main level). I liked the settings fine, but it could have been better. My other issue to a degree was that they implemented the stance mechanic, but I never had to change it. I went with one type of weapon, and the heavy stance throughout and triumphed with relative ease. It's a small issue, but still one nonetheless. And I'm happy to hear that about the story. The ending of the game really felt like they could add on, if not with a sequel, with DLC.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The story was thin and almost a bit implied, but I thought it done honestly. He was there to get his own back, not solve any problems in a country, where he perhaps lucky to be able to keep his life and be accepted by one of the factions.

I would have loved it if the game examined further what the hell was going on some fronts. But I was burned out on NIOH and didn't even consider dlc. I was hoping for a sequel instead.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought it on sale at one point and couldn't get through it. I guess I'm just tired of the gameplay loop

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bybeach: The story wasn't very deep, but there was just enough that I enjoyed seeing what came next throughout it. Also, something that I really appreciated was how characters used native language and the developers didn't just decide to go all English.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I enjoyed the Nioh DLC, but the level scaling is such that I think you’re expected to grind a decent amount, which I was less into. By that point in the end-game, you aren’t getting a ton of really useful new equipment (and you’re probably going to soul match it with the stuff you’re using regardless) so it can get a little monotonous. Certainly, a lot of the scaling can be overcome by just *not getting hit* but when a boss two-shots you because your number isn’t quite high enough (despite whatever your actual stats may be) that’s a bit of a bummer. Some of the fights themselves are still quite challenging and a lot of fun, but I do hope they tone down some of the treadmill if they ever make a sequel.

I think the real highlight for me might’ve been the two new weapon types and the handful of new abilities and spells. I liked Nioh’s combat enough that being able to mess around with odachi and tonfa was refreshing enough in its own right. I’m also a lunatic who was crazy enough to get the platinum trophy, so maybe I’m not indicative of the greater audience.

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
    WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I ended up playing > 150 hours in the game and bought all the DLC at the same time as the base game. As has already been mentioned, there is a difficulty curve to the DLC that is a bit disjointed with the base game. The way that I got around it was to play the DLC and NG+ simultaneously. I would recommend it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.