Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nioh

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Feb 07, 2017

A historical action game loosely based on the story of English samurai William Adams, as he helps slay the yokai that infest Sengoku-era Japan while hunting down a malicious alchemist.

Let's talk Twilight Missions

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Since they are daily's and they can be pretty interesting, it would be good to have a place to talk about them.

There are two Twilight Missions each day. They appear to be somewhat random. You need to have beaten the regular boss of a mission in order to be able to do the Twilight Mission when it comes up in rotation. Doing them yields loot, often of exotic rarity. That's useful, because it enables you to forge perfect gear.

It seems that in Twilight Missions, Revenants automatically spawn randomly when you get close to their graves. I really like it.

As for today's, I was able to do the Level 20 one. The 145 one is still locked for me.

I was actually able to craft awesome dual swords that fit near-perfectly with my style. I like to deal Ki damage and then finish up with a grapple and a combo. I got fire damage, health steal on quick hit, reduced Ki consumption for quick attacks, increased damage on quick attacks, increased grapple damage and a familiarity damage bonus. Sweetness.

Talking about elemental damage, what is your favorite? Mine is probably Poison and Water. Wind is pretty incredible too, but it doesn't fit my current playstyle. Earth sounds like it would be awesome when that PvP gets here.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By LawGamer

@zevvion said:

Since they are daily's and they can be pretty interesting, it would be good to have a place to talk about them.

There are two Twilight Missions each day. They appear to be somewhat random. You need to have beaten the regular boss of a mission in order to be able to do the Twilight Mission when it comes up in rotation. Doing them yields loot, often of exotic rarity. That's useful, because it enables you to forge perfect gear.

It seems that in Twilight Missions, Revenants automatically spawn randomly when you get close to their graves. I really like it.

As for today's, I was able to do the Level 20 one. The 145 one is still locked for me.

I was actually able to craft awesome dual swords that fit near-perfectly with my style. I like to deal Ki damage and then finish up with a grapple and a combo. I got fire damage, health steal on quick hit, reduced Ki consumption for quick attacks, increased damage on quick attacks, increased grapple damage and a familiarity damage bonus. Sweetness.

Talking about elemental damage, what is your favorite? Mine is probably Poison and Water. Wind is pretty incredible too, but it doesn't fit my current playstyle. Earth sounds like it would be awesome when that PvP gets here.

I haven't done a Twilight Mission yet, but is that Twilight specific or is there one of those guitar monks hidden somewhere doing the summoning?

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I haven't had a chance to do one yet but I probably should once I finish this mission I'm on. May try out the co-op to see if that's any fun.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawgamer: Do those guitar monks do that? Hm, I haven't seen them do it before (apart from the demons they summon), but I suppose it's possible. There were more of them around for sure.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By BoOzak

Nice, I'm in need of some good dual swords, i've been quite unlucky with weapon drops as of late. I did a twilight mission the other day so I could craft a piece of armour. I thought it was cool how the sky turns red although I didnt like having to fight the succubus again. It does kind of suck how expensive it is to keep equipment up to your level though.

As for elemental damage I would have to go with fire, it's a bit boring but it works against a majority of enemies and deals decent damage over time.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't tried one yet as they seem to be way over my level.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

@lawgamer: Do those guitar monks do that? Hm, I haven't seen them do it before (apart from the demons they summon), but I suppose it's possible. There were more of them around for sure.

Yeah that's just one of their normal abilities. I can never decide if its a mechanic I love or hate because they get really clever in hiding those bastards in some levels.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I've done one so far and it was really easy with some lackluster rewards but it was one of the lower level ones. I'm anxious to try one closer to my current level.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Same. It seems odd the levels don't scale or something though. Imagine a two weeks from now when you have finished the game for a while already and the daily's are a Level 15 and Level 20 mission. Or the day after it released, there was a Level 120 mission in there.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#10  Edited By sammo21

@zevvion: Guitar monks indeed do that. The first time you will run across one doing that in a heinous way is the remix of the second level. The guitar monk endlessly summons Yokai and revenants if you don't go up and kill him. The first one near the hot spring did that and at first I thought it was an invasion of some sort.

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
    SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

monks can indeed summon revenants.

In twilight missions it seems like there are multiple types of revenant spawns.

Some spawn when you get close, some only spawn if a yokai realm covers the gravestone, monks can spawn them, some only spawn while you are in combat near them, and others tend to spawn during mission fights like the sidequest in the first cave level.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: When the alpha was running I did the Twilight version there and it was just the right amount of difficult. I was able to farm out a cool armor set and weapon, overall fun time. Didn't realize it would be this weird rotation in the full game.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Found one today at level 20, was pretty fun actually but i didn't get much out of it (maybe do to the low level of it).

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as I can tell the only purpose of the Twilight missions is to give you an easy way to grind the rare demon reagents for crafting. With that in mind has anyone gotten to any sort of "end-game" state yet ? where doing that stuff would actually matter.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42: If you want perfect gear, you will have to engage with the blacksmith on multiple levels. If not for straight up Forging, then for Soul Matching and Reforging. Weapons and armor can get different types of stats on them as you know, so the idea is probably that you would forge, forge, forge and forge your favorite weapon and armor to get something half decent, then reforge from there until you get something that compliments your playstyle exactly. That might take a bit, since there will always be certain stats that aren't as good for your playstyle.

I'm guessing it will take a while before you have all-exotic gear with all beneficial stats and all leveled up to your level.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OurSin_360

@zevvion: so i guess you get high quality blueprints of some kind? Forging seems like a waste to me right now as the percentage chance for blue and pink are single digit. I only reforge if i want to inherit a better stat(so far), i even kinda ruined a piece of gear at first since the wording made it seem like it raises the stat level not re rolls it. Still early game though.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: Ye, what I'm saying is that so far from what I've seen doing all that is sorta pointless since you then play for 5 hours and then all that gear has become obsolete. I'm wondering if there's actually a point in the game where levelling completely stops (or becomes slow enough) so that maximizing gear becomes a more relevant method of progressing your character.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only done the Cavernous Cave one and was kinda surprised the boss wasn't changed a little. Still had me on the seat of my pants between shrines but I'm level 40 now and crushed it. Pity they've structured it like this and I imagine they might be tied to your system clock. I'm running them just to beat them but if new gear comes in that's useful, that's grand.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zevvion

@ares42: Soul Matching raises the level of your gear. It doesn't ever become obsolete in that sense. I have dual swords now that I've already Soul Matched upwards of 30 levels higher and it is still by far the best weapon I have. I doubt you ever have to get perfect gear per se, it's just something you can do if you want to play more Nioh I think.

@oursin_360 Your chances of certain rarity when forging depends on the quality of materials you use. If you use exotic quality materials for every single slot, you have 35% chance to get an exotic. It is how I got my weapon that I'm using now (it took a bunch of tries though). It's useful if you want a specific weapon. I needed this one because I was only finding dual swords that scaled with Skill and Strength. But I needed Skill and Heart. I got a crap exotic roll after a few tries and then after a while I got a pretty decent one with life steal and fire damage. Then, I reforged a bunch of the perks and ultimately added an inherited perk. It's super badass now. But that's only one weapon. I can do the same for a Spear which is my secondary and all the armor.

grapesoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I did the vampire lady twilight mission last night and thought it was a cool twist on the regular mission. Also it seemed like the boss had an extra attack on her umbrella combo but I'm not sure if she just didn't do that my first time fighting her.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By OurSin_360

@zevvion: i did not know you could change materials, i guess i didnt have any exotics when I tried. I figured they would be used when i got new blueprints later in the game, this is good to know.

T_Wah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah, it seems as though they just remix both the enemy placement and enemy type to try to force players to adapt and try new strategies. I'm actually really enjoying them. Also I think you are right about the bosses having extra abilities (and probably more health/stats too): Onryoki gets an extra fast (much less animation wind-up) ball-chain throw during his second state in the twilight level.

I did the vampire lady twilight mission last night and thought it was a cool twist on the regular mission. Also it seemed like the boss had an extra attack on her umbrella combo but I'm not sure if she just didn't do that my first time fighting her.

It's funny how I kinda already knew all that, but for some reason didn't want to do any of it until you've just spelt it out. I think I will go back later and try to craft a katana that suits my play style =) I imagine it gets super expensive at some point? I realized that prices go up disproportionately when you soul match high level coloured loot. Do you generally stick with coloured loot or just plain normal ones, and reforge those? Also I'm guessing you would always want a weapon with the highest familiarity potential.

@zevvion said:

@ares42: Soul Matching raises the level of your gear. It doesn't ever become obsolete in that sense. I have dual swords now that I've already Soul Matched upwards of 30 levels higher and it is still by far the best weapon I have. I doubt you ever have to get perfect gear per se, it's just something you can do if you want to play more Nioh I think.

@oursin_360 Your chances of certain rarity when forging depends on the quality of materials you use. If you use exotic quality materials for every single slot, you have 35% chance to get an exotic. It is how I got my weapon that I'm using now (it took a bunch of tries though). It's useful if you want a specific weapon. I needed this one because I was only finding dual swords that scaled with Skill and Strength. But I needed Skill and Heart. I got a crap exotic roll after a few tries and then after a while I got a pretty decent one with life steal and fire damage. Then, I reforged a bunch of the perks and ultimately added an inherited perk. It's super badass now. But that's only one weapon. I can do the same for a Spear which is my secondary and all the armor.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Zevvion

@t_wah: The higher the rarity of the weapon, the more familiarity you can gain with it. Which means straight up more raw damage in the end. So yeah, you should go for exotics (purple). They also have more skill slots. It does indeed get very expensive in terms of gold to keep it leveled, but as I said, it is by far the best weapon I have when I do.

@oursin_360 You can also craft the higher quality materials using the lower quality ones at the blacksmith.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Soul matching just literally takes a piece of gear and makes it the level of another piece of gear, right? So If I have a level 9 ax I like and I put a level 30 piece of trash into it, it raises the ax to level 30 and all the stats along with it?

I know there is some stuff about inheritable traits. Does only the inheritable trait go forward, and everything else is random? Or does everything just get better?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Twilight missions are fun, the color palette swap doesn't work so great. They're even better on NG+ where the difficulty for twilight gets kind of absurd.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Prior region I was in, which was the 2nd? I couldnt even do them for the levels involved being like 90 and 120...Or maybe should say didnt even bother trying as I was in 45-52 or something. 3rd region I had one at level 20. So not sure how they work far as levels. But man, got a lot of nice gear off the first one I did fighting revenants which are usually easy. Still using most of it, and soul matching it.

Soul matching just literally takes a piece of gear and makes it the level of another piece of gear, right? So If I have a level 9 ax I like and I put a level 30 piece of trash into it, it raises the ax to level 30 and all the stats along with it?

I know there is some stuff about inheritable traits. Does only the inheritable trait go forward, and everything else is random? Or does everything just get better?

Far as I can tell its just the level. I dont think your main item changes anything but the main damage/its level. Gets fucking pricey down the line. Which had me confused I didnt see for a while that it was costing gold. Thought I couldnt match certain items.

T_Wah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By T_Wah

@bkbroiler: Yes: soul matching raises the selected weapon up to the "fodder" weapon's level. If the fodder weapon has an inherited trait, then it will pass onto the selected weapon IFF the fodder weapon's familiarity level is maxed (as in you fill in whatever max familiarity level it has, not the overall familiarity capacity itself). Of course there are occasionally some exceptions to this. Thankfully familiarity goes up for a weapon even if it is not used, but as long as it is in the secondary slot. This familiarity build-up applies to all weapons: melee or ranged, as long as it is in weapon slot 1/2 or ranged slot 1/2.

T_Wah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By T_Wah
    @zevvion said:

@t_wah: The higher the rarity of the weapon, the more familiarity you can gain with it. Which means straight up more raw damage in the end. So yeah, you should go for exotics (purple). They also have more skill slots. It does indeed get very expensive in terms of gold to keep it leveled, but as I said, it is by far the best weapon I have when I do.

Aah, I see. I think the fact that higher rarity = higher max familiarity and stat slots are the main thing I wasn't getting (I have often got purple drops that have only 2 familiarity slots and/or 2 skills). Will definitely give this a try the next time I boot up Nioh! =D Thanks.

Dispossession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dispossession

@zevvion: Expect a party chat next time I see you online haha.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@t_wah: @john1912: Great, thanks guys! I had inheritable traits backwards. So now I just need to look for a good inheritable trait in a high level weapon and equip it in my secondary slot! Cool.

TJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@t_wah said:

@bkbroiler: Yes: soul matching raises the selected weapon up to the "fodder" weapon's level. If the fodder weapon has an inherited trait, then it will pass onto the selected weapon IFF the fodder weapon's familiarity level is maxed (as in you fill in whatever max familiarity level it has, not the overall familiarity capacity itself). Of course there are occasionally some exceptions to this. Thankfully familiarity goes up for a weapon even if it is not used, but as long as it is in the secondary slot. This familiarity build-up applies to all weapons: melee or ranged, as long as it is in weapon slot 1/2 or ranged slot 1/2.

I tried this yesterday and it was not passing on the trait even though my familiarity was at capacity... Maybe its because my fodder weapon was lower level then my base weapon? hmmmm

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@tjk said:
    @t_wah said:

I tried this yesterday and it was not passing on the trait even though my familiarity was at capacity... Maybe its because my fodder weapon was lower level then my base weapon? hmmmm

It probably isn't passing on the trait because you've got abilities from the same "pool" on that weapon already. For example, you can't have multiple types of elemental damage on the same weapon because those traits all come from the same "pool" of abilities.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Humanity

@lawgamer said:
    @tjk said:
    @t_wah said:

It probably isn't passing on the trait because you've got abilities from the same "pool" on that weapon already. For example, you can't have multiple types of elemental damage on the same weapon because those traits all come from the same "pool" of abilities.

Also it has to be the same rarity. So a blue sword will pass on it's traits to another blue sword but not to a purple. As far as I know anyway - this game has really great tutorials for some things but other stuff is left pretty vague.

Anyway I did that level 30 Twilight mission, the three gods one where you gotta fight the three 'roided up Lickitungs. I dunno, I mean I was kinda way overleveled being level 54 at the time, but I just didn't see the point of it apart from the rarer materials. I suppose if I really get into crafting down the road it's a good farming method but so far drops and occasional re-forging has been working just fine.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By OurSin_360

@humanity: im not sure how much level matters, i think they all scale to whatever your level is but i could be wrong. I just did it and found it challenging, i am level 50 something too.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: I found it decently challenging, it was actually kinda more exciting fighting all these Yokai as opposed to the typical fodder you encounter at a rather slower pace in the normal levels, I just didn't think it was worth the extra effort.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was expecting an easier time of today's mission but those birds are murder.

ph00p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to dig up an old thread, but fuck these things, I have ONE of them left to get the all missions trophy and now they're rotating in fucking DLC even if you DON'T OWN IT, barring you from the entire experience for an entire day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.