Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nioh

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Feb 07, 2017

A historical action game loosely based on the story of English samurai William Adams, as he helps slay the yokai that infest Sengoku-era Japan while hunting down a malicious alchemist.

Why is everyone so quiet about this game?

SquidKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Didn't hear even a peep about this during all of E3. The only news I got on it was from the Nioh official Facebook. Hell, I think the only mention of this game by anyone was Brad, and offhandedly. Do the Bombers not like Koei or something? We know most of them like Souls-likes.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I can recall, there was Alpha/Beta demo thing released some time ago and it was apparently pretty mediocre.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's probably because Koei don't have that big of a presence at E3. There are hundreds of games at the show - you can't comment on all of them.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I wish they made that new Berserk game in the Nioh engine.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 2

The GBE team did a video in which Austin played the demo. They seemed to think it had potential, but they didn't go crazy for it right off the bat. Since then, they probably just haven't had any reason to talk about it. They'll cover it when it's out, no doubt.

It definitely has nothing to do with them liking or not liking KOEI.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GB isn't covering it much but in general there's a fair amount of hype for the game, it is the next Souls-like to be released after all.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OurSin_360
    Loading Video...

Not sure if this is premium or not?

too bad the server was broken during this stream though. After playing the demo i didn't care for it much, granted it was alpha but the graphics and framerate just weren't good enough for me. The world didn't really feel interesting either

Avatar image for makeyourself270
    makeyourself270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

When I played the alpha demo I really liked what was there in terms of combat and exploration. I also definitely got the sense that I had only scratched the surface of the mechanics as I mostly stayed on one stance on one weapon. But factor in that there's 3 stances for each of the several weapons and there's definitely some depth. I'll be excited to see what the 2nd demo is like that they announced.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

After watching the GBE Nioh video, I feel like I'm ok never hearing about that game again.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By John1912

I actually liked the demo. But the controls were fucking awful, and the combat wasnt great. I cant see it getting more then a 6. Which is sad, I could have really gotten into the game. Its like Dark Souls, with Diablo loot, meets Onimusha. Which is kinda fucking awesome!

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mirado

GBE played it and it was totally fucking broken, and whenever it wasn't broken, it looked mediocre.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

My own personal peeves here is I don't want to play a blonde-haired, blue-eyed samurai and if it's even remotely Souls-like I need to be able to create my own character. Tweaking sliders for hours and hours, now that's fun!

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LeStephan

I loved everything about the alpha. The controls were awesome and even the lock-on was fine if different (I'd go as far as saying it worked great for samurai movie style hit and run action). I had an amazing time with the alpha once I stopped trying to play it it like a dark souls or dmc. The game plays so uniquely samurai movie esque, its great! I cant wait for the 'beta' on the 27th of august though im kinda weary of all the 'fixes' they said they'd implement after receiving feedback about the alpha demo. Guess we'll see.

Was it even playable at e3 this year btw?

bmehlers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the alpha. I was compelled to finish it and really enjoyed the combat by the end.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Didn't play it, but I've heard a lot of good things from people who really dived in.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved alpha, waiting to hear more, guess they didn't see or touch it(if it was there).

SquidKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SquidKing

There are three attitudes in this thread: 1. People who played and liked the Alpha. 2. People who played and didn't especially like the Alpha. 3. A disguisingly high number of people with an opinion on a game they didn't play, and got their opinion from a video that wouldn't start.

ikramit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ikramit

from the videos I've seen of the game and the way it plays I'm very interested in how the game turns out.

As for people jumping the gun the game doesn't show well when the people playing it aren't aware of the systems in the game .

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BoOzak

I'm personally hyped for it but a lot of peope here dismissed it because of that GBeast stream. Also the targeting system doesnt orientate your character around the enemy unless you're blocking and apparently that's bad...

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GB deity, Navarro, needs to store his energy for release.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Way too early to have an opinion about where a game is going, will go or can go when so little is known. The demo was a tiny slice of a game that was not even working with full all of its game and story parts implemented...to be exited seems just as premature as being dismissive.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By John1912

Im actually REALLY surprised at the amount of people saying the combat, and controls were good. IDK, they felt REALLY loose to me, it felt like a ps2 game. And the controls never get changed from early release. They might tweak the cam, but thats prob about it. IDK as I said I actually got into the demo, but the controls were pretty awful. From what I read the game has been stuck in production for FAR TOO LONG. What 10 years? And it plays like it has been sitting for too long. I really wish the game the best, and hope that going from Alpha to 1.0 shit gets fixed. But NEVER seen it happen. Double sad as this is a Team Ninja game. Ninja Gaiden was one of my all time favs.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Onemanarmyy

People are quiet because it was E3 week and Nioh didn't show anything during E3 as far as i know.

I still think that demo showed us a cool Souls-like that actually dares to implement it's own ideas within that framework.

It's not the most polished game, but it could be great if they work out the kinks a bit more.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Loading Video...

Not sure if this is premium or not?

too bad the server was broken during this stream though. After playing the demo i didn't care for it much, granted it was alpha but the graphics and framerate just weren't good enough for me. The world didn't really feel interesting either

That has the perfect preview image of everyone just looking completely disappointed at what isn't happening on their screen.

SquidKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ivdamke

None of them are overly huge into Souls games, barely any of them have actually even finished one. It always comes across as a passing fancy I think. Nioh is initially a lot harder and has a much more in-depth combat system than the Souls games so I wouldn't be surprised if all we see of it is a QL and then never hear from them again about it.

I personally got more enjoyment out of the Nioh Alpha than I did DS3, it felt fresh but within a known framework. The combat changes brought it back to what Souls lost after Dark Souls 1 in that I had to actually pay attention to the enemies and take my time. Souls became a slow hack and slash game by the time Souls 2 came out because the enemies all worked the same and could generally be approached with the same strategies. Nioh made enemies feel lethal again, it made the environs foreign again, I didn't know what would come next and that does wonders for my enjoyment.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By vortextk

Hard to paste all the links on phone, but there were some updates out of e3. Dual wielding swords will be a new weapon option, no more weapon durability, they know and are working on camera and controls, talked about another summon option. They were happy that most people seemed good with it being "hard" and a little surprised. Supposed to be another demo coming in August? It'll be nice to see updates.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.