Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

No Jumping

Concept »

Games that are in genres where the ability to jump is expected, but do not allow the player character to jump on command.

Is it reasonable to expect to jump in hockey games?

bundle85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

#1  Edited By bundle85

I ask that because someone added this concept to a bunch of hockey games. i want to delete them, but i figured i'd post to see if jumping is something normally in hockey games

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By NickL

According to the page it's about what is possible, not reasonable. And it certainly is possible to jump in hockey... so... I guess its fine?

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

I don't think so?

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By inkerman

The point is can you jump in those hockey games. Irrelevant of whether or not it makes sense, so you might have to find someone who has played those games.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By kmdrkul

There is definitely no dedicated "jump" button in... just about every hockey game I can remember.

liquidfox00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By liquidfox00

The only jump you can do in NHL 12 is a jump with puck flick that while on paper could be useful for getting over sprawling opponents or sticks blocking skating lanes really doesn't do a damn thing during gameplay and half the time doesn't work anyway if you don't have the analog stick angle correct and timed exactly with the button press. I could see it being possibly implemented in order to deliver huge hits but really there would be no point because leaving your feet to deliver a hit is a penalty anyway.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By laserbolts

Maybe in some crazy arcade game there is a jump button but in the EA games and in the 2k games there was no jumping.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#8  Edited By LordAndrew

I don't watch a lot of hockey, but from what I've seen the players don't normally jump.

Therefore I do not expect jumping from a hockey video game either. If it was basketball, sure.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By xymox

@kmdrkul said:

There is definitely no dedicated "jump" button in... just about every hockey game I can remember.

This. I don't think I've seen a single hockey game where you can "jump". The character might jump in replays in some, but I wouldn't remember. I've only played EA hockey games though, I think. And that NES game.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zella

@liquidfox00 said:

The only jump you can do in NHL 12 is a jump with puck flick that while on paper could be useful for getting over sprawling opponents or sticks blocking skating lanes really doesn't do a damn thing during gameplay and half the time doesn't work anyway if you don't have the analog stick angle correct and timed exactly with the button press. I could see it being possibly implemented in order to deliver huge hits but really there would be no point because leaving your feet to deliver a hit is a penalty anyway.

It also works as one of the best humiliating moves to score with in a shoot out.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel

Jumping is not an activity I normally associate with hockey.

I take the No Jumping concept page to mean games in genres where jumping is considered a norm (platformers, action games, etc.) but is conspicuously absent.

liquidfox00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By liquidfox00

My iPads not letting me quote but I completely agree with using the jump move as a humiliating shoot out move, especially against friends.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Vonocourt

"No jumping has appeared in alot of games."

There's gotta be a better way to phrase this right.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LordAndrew

I looked through and saw Final Fantasy, Pokémon and Mass Effect on the list as well. Do we expect jumping in RPGs?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Hockey players jump all the time. To clear sprawling sticks and players, and (illegally) to increase the kinetic force of body checks. I don't know if the new NHL games have added these kind of incidental jumps into the animation routine, it's possible.

There's some good videos on YouTube showing a younger, lighter Sidney Crosby using short jumps to create space and evade stick checks. Specifically a great goal against the Rangers, and an incredible 1-on-4 jumping goal against the Canadiens.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Hailinel
    @LordAndrew

I looked through and saw Final Fantasy, Pokémon and Mass Effect on the list as well. Do we expect jumping in RPGs?

Some have it, but it's far from the norm.
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By beargirl1

jumping in actual hockey isn't rare, but i never see it as like, a function in the games.

speaking of that, when i was younger i always wanted a Blitz: The League kind of hockey game where you, like killed people on the ice by like, drop kicking them while wearing your skates and smashing their faces in with the hockey sticks. it also doubled as a first-person shooter where you were a street thug in your free time gunning down rival gangs.

when i think about it, it sounds like an absolutely terrible idea.

bundle85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#18  Edited By bundle85

Alright, the consensus seems to be that jumping happens in actual hockey, not in video game hockey. Also, JRPGs have no expectations of jumping inherent to them, so I will delete them.

The games I have deleted are :

Final Fantasy Dimensions

Street Cleaning Simulator (Whaaa? This exists?)

Final Fantasy 1

Final Fantasy 2

Final Fantasy 3

Final Fantasy 5

Final Fantasy 6

Suikoden

Final Fantasy Tactics

NHL 98

Pokemon Red/Blue

Final Fantasy 8

Pokemon Yellow

Final Fantasy 9

Pokemon Gold/Silver

Pokemon Crystal

Final Fantasy 10

Suikoden 3

Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire

NHL 2005

Final Fantasy 10 2

Dragon Quest 8

Suikoden 4

NHL 06

NHL 2K6

NHL 07

NHL 2K7

Final Fantasy 12

Sega Genesis Collection (It has Sonic 2 in it, that counts as jumping)

Pokemon Ranger

NHL 08

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

Pokemon Platinum

I kept Mass Effect, Ys 7, Playstation Home, and Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core because they have similarities to third person action games and MMOs. Feel free to make changes as you see fit.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By mosespippy

@Bundle85: Should Final Fantasy 13 be added to the list? It has jumping but no jump button. Instead you move onto a icon on the ground and the character auto jumps.

@NickL said:

According to the page it's about what is possible, not reasonable. And it certainly is possible to jump in hockey... so... I guess its fine?

Then I think the page should be changed to say what is reasonable instead of what is possible. It is possible to have jumping in any game that has a person as the player controlled object so the wording of possible is too broad.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LordAndrew

@mosespippy: I gave the blurb a minor copyedit. Better? Worse?

The article itself is also in need of a rewrite.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By Dagbiker

In real hockey you do jump, usually over peoples sticks, or over the puck. You also jump to face the other direction.

I have never played a Video game version of Hockey, and so I don't know if it belongs in the wiki. But It is something you do in Ice Hockey.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.