Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

No Man's Sky

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Aug 09, 2016

A procedurally generated space exploration game from Hello Games, the creators of Joe Danger.

How best to restart?

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BoFooQ

I downloaded next patch today but haven't gotten around to play it yet. I'm not sure how best to start. I want to continue my first game cause I had nice ship biggest tool, freighter and lots of cash. I never actually went to center of universe and still don't really care. At some point after one of the last patches I went back and went through about half base building quests. At some point I got stuck and couldn't progress anymore so I stopped. I still think continuing with my original game is best idea, but I was looking for some tips on what people have been doing first? What's the new best material?

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If you haven't played in a while like me, you're gonna want to restart. They didn't only just add stuff, they rebalanced everything. New elements, changed requirements, changed planet biomes, there's a lot different that you might struggle with trying to learn while also relearning and forgetting everything you remember from the last time you played.

I started over when the Atlas update dropped and I did it again this time around. Sure, I miss my fully upgraded exosuit, but I'm loving the opportunity to start things fresh and on an even field again. I remember a bunch from my first two attempts at the game, but there's too much that's different for me to jump in on a "late game" state.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

yeah man its time to delete the old file and launch the "new" game. so far its a lot better but still NMS for better or worse. Glad i gave it a try though.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Loading old saves can be a little buggy, I've found. Couldn't fly my ship out of the station it placed me on, so tried to desperately get the money together to buy a new one and that fixed it, but cleared my wallet and most of my items to do so. :/

That said, new stuff has been really cool so far.

Might be worth starting new to poke at the new stuff and keep the old one to give it a crapshoot.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I was only 18hrs in and last played (properly) about 3 months ago - as you can have multiple saves I started a new one to see how the opening/tutorial changed. After that I now don't think I'll go back to the old save, there's enough HUD and inventory changes I just think it isn't worth getting my head around what I now do and don't have functioning in the old base. I had only gotten an ever so slightly better ship on the old save though, so I feel I am losing much less that some people.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've decided to continue my old save. Its hard to walk away from 10 million units. The quest system does seem to be better at actually listing and following step by step for most quests. Since I had a frieghter I built command post and learned how to send ship out on quests. I'm not sure were ship came from but I can send it out on missions like AC brotherhood. It came back with 70,000 units and a few resources. I've built a processor, (not sure of name) the thing that converts material to other material. I bought a new faster little ship for a million units just to add to my fleet. I'm unsure if this will just add to the list of ships I can send on missions or not but I'll see. My main goal now is just getting has many blueprints has possible. Everything needs upgrading but I don't know where to start. I also just landed on planet that is mostly empty but full of sentenals, so should help me get nano thingie to buy blueprints.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

If you have a decent amount of stuff, a big ship, a big backpack, and 'tens of millions' of credits. I would spend your first five hours back just acquainting yourself with even the simplest of things

- Mine for basic ores
    - Create some basic "refill" comediaties for air, radiation, mining/ballistic laser, ships fuel, etc. (Much of the technology for ship, suit, and lgun are ALL different! So spend several hours mining, creating, and remaking lost tech; spending some constarted time acquainting yourself again)
    - A sizable chunk of your money might go into new blueprints because, as I said above, the tech is ALL new. What elements you need to create refill packs for various technologies are ALL new, so none assume what you used to own still works - it won't be in some cases.

I was only 18hrs in and last played (properly) about 3 months ago - as you can have multiple saves I started a new one to see how the opening/tutorial changed. After that I now don't think I'll go back to the old save, there's enough HUD and inventory changes I just think it isn't worth getting my head around what I now do and don't have functioning in the old base. I had only gotten an ever so slightly better ship on the old save though, so I feel I am losing much less that some people.

Yes, in your case you are better off starting fresh with the new tutorial help.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was listening to bombcast this week and Alex was talking about restarting his game and Dan said he did first five hours muplite times. This seems like a terrible idea, unless you're switching platforms. The thought of I haven't played in long time let me start over to relearn what is going on is wrong. The game never tells you what's going on. The quest system is much better, but there are no great tutorials in game. You are better off looking up wiki online if you need help, I would suggest it. Instead of trying to fix your tool and ship the best thing to do is too scrap has much of it has possible and than trade for one that isn't broken. At some point you need more slots why go back to beginning just to grind. You need to acquire blueprints, don't start over do everything you can to acquire every blueprint, buy them, do quests, and fix capsules. If you've spent almost any time with game I would recommend continuing your game cause has you relearn what's going on you can be moving forward at same time.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You've seem to have found your answer OP, but I'm gonna post a replay anyway since I've got nothing better to do:

In general, if I don't touch a game for time that can be measured in months, I just start over from scratch unless redoing certain objectives would be exceptionally difficult to re-accomplish. As for No Man's Sky specifically, I feel like I got a better procedurally generated dice roll on what landmarks, ships and multi-tools I was coming across compared to previous save files on previous major updates, granted that, up until NEXT, I was mainly bitching about how broken the game's v-sync is for mid-range GPUs like the 1060 that can clearly play the game at 60 frames but drop down to 30 which is extremely fucking annoying, but at least locking it to 30 frames is a smooth "I'm a game built for 30 frames" 30 as opposed to a "I'm running at half of the intended frame rate" 30, but I digress as the last 43 hours out of the total 49 hours I've spent playing the game was looting planets which eventually got me enough money to buy a pretty spacious fighter class ship of which I unofficially call the USSBallerSwag.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.