What would it take for No Man's Sky to be a success to you?

• 77 results
darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By darkmoney52

Just curious as most of the discussion of this game seems to revolve around people's hopes and expectations for it and if it's feasible for the game to live up to those.

With that in mind, what are your hopes for the game? Personally, I've always wanted to get into games like Terraria and Starboard but have been put off by their art styles. I can already tell that I'll enjoy the game aesthetically, so I'm just hoping the base exploration of the game is enjoyable.

Boniti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have, like, no expectations for the game. As with most games (apart from maybe those of a series I already trust in, like Souls or XCOM or something), I have very little expectations going in and determine if it's for me based on GB's coverage and other opinions. So I'll see! I know some people think it'll be a lot, others think it'll be less, I'll either buy it or not buy it based on what ends up being in the game and how people respond to that.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It all depends on the games ability for me to just wander around without the developers trying to force me into a certain playstyle.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mirado
  1. Have a launch that isn't completely on fire.
  2. Let me shoot a cool robo dude or weird snake creature.
  3. Let me convert said robo dude or weird snake creature into materials or money to upgrade my shit.
  4. Make it so that doing the above is fun.
  5. It'd be nice if going from planet to planet was fun as well.
  6. Have a launch that isn't completely on fire.
  7. Some standard PC options would be nice.
  8. Have a launch that isn't completely on fire.

Any more, and I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

j-mack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I've been really excited for this game from the start, but I don't understand how the hype grew to where it is now. The trailers show some basic combat, exploration, etc. and I think that looks fun. As long as the final game is in line with the trailers, with enough variation in content to keep me invested for a few dozens hours, I'll be happy.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Teddie
  • Be fun to play

Kind of all it takes for me, but it does not look like something I could enjoy for more than a few hours. Still waiting to see how the final thing turns out, but I'm not very interested at this point.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I want it to make me feel as small as possible. I'm not sure what anyone else expects from this game, but all I really want is to feel like a speck in a vast universe that is mine to explore.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mirado

@j-mack said:

So I've been really excited for this game from the start, but I don't understand how the hype grew to where it is now.

A developer's admirable (but naive and perhaps misguided) desire to keep a bit of mystery surrounding the game rather than spelling out exactly what something is, plus charging MAXIMUM DOLLARS for something made by a small studio. So they'd say something vague ("Things get crazier as you get closer! You can gain and lose standings with factions!") and without effective communication and given the price tag, people begin to run absolutely wild ("The inner planets are going to break the laws of physics!" "I bet you can take territory for a faction and build your own space station!').

Unfortunate but not unheard of, although this is certainly one of the bigger cases of an indie game growing hype to monolithic proportions.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It needs to be a game that catches my attention and holds it for long enough to reach the center of the galaxy.

What I expect it to be is an exploration game with upgrades, space flight/combat and some general light-story telling in the form of game mechanics, alien encounters and etc. Audio Logs and cut scenes? No. Something that explains the robots that are galaxy wide planet protection police? Yes.

I don't expect any single element to be overly impressive when compared too a game which focuses on it. Minecraft has better crafting. There are better flight/space sims.10 hand crafted worlds are going to feel more epic then a trillion trillion trillion randomly generated. What I do expect is a game that takes a bunch of elements and makes them work decent together for a unique(baring some very niche stuff), fun experience.

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It needs to be fun to play, have a verity of things to do/see and. not be over in <20 hours.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a success if I never buy another game again after this.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

1. Be fun to move, fly, and aim
  2. Look pretty
  3. Have a lot of world/entity variety
  4. Have a lot of tech (gear, ships, what have you)
  5. Run well
Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really thought the only deal breaker is if the ship doesn't fly like a ship should. As in ls=pitch/roll

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mirado

@bladededge said:

There are better flight/space sims.10 hand crafted worlds are going to feel more epic then a trillion trillion trillion randomly generated.

Hate to disappoint you, but there's actually only 18 billion billion planets, not a trillion trillion trillion. So you may want to reduce your handcrafted to generated planets metric, as we don't have an undecillion places to go, but only a paltry 18 quintillion.

;D

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would have to be fun to play most of the time.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I just want the planets to be interesting to explore. So just really really really good procedural generation I guess.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

For the internet to not implode when they realize that this game is basically 3D Starbound and not some insane game that will forever be fun or interesting. Otherwise, even though I am excited to play it, I don't really have much actual expectation.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

My personal mark of a game's success is being at work, and not being able to stop thinking about playing the game again. That actually rarely happens for me, so it's pretty obvious when a game has won me over to that degree.

As far as the game itself goes, the primary concern is that we're talking generated content here. I'd say if I can play for 50 to 100 hours and still feel like I'm discovering an entire universe, I'll consider this a success. If after five or ten hours I often have a "been there, done that" feeling, I think the game probably will have been a disappointment.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it must have my child.

NexivSelecaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If the game isn't broken.

It's nice being easy to please.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

60+ hours of playing the game without getting bored... should hopefully not be to hard.

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depth

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It certainly looks the part. But other than that i would just say that i needs to play well, and be engaging. Personally i don't care about the length of the game, i just want it to be fun while im playing it.

Mowgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mowgers

Fly around, explore planets, find alien that looks like a willy, name it something vulgar. A+ 5 stars.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cure cancer.

GStats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It needs to

-feel like there's genuinely a variety of different and interesting environments.
-have lots of reasons to actually explore each planet, rather than just landing and taking off again 10 minutes later.
-have a genuine sense of progression
-have a good final explanation behind the journey

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Races to choose from, character customization, proper co-op or multiplayer, space stuff.

Basically be Starbound only 3D.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game sounds cool as it is! Aside from minor tweaks to game balance, difficulty, and whatever technical stuff could be improved, I'd like 'real' co-op in the game.

Yesiamaduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A game I can play whilst listening to a podcast/album and be able to rely on it as a podcast game for a month or two would be good. That's all I want

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I have had zero hype about the game and wouldn't get it right away.

If it's half as fun and easy to zone out in to and sink time in like Stardew Valley was, that would be alright, but then I'll just keep playing Stardew Valley (I know they're entirely different games, but I feel like they scratch a similar itch)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 15

If it made Mankind Divided come out two weeks early I would be super psyched about No Mans Sky.

Right now I'm just curious, although as the days tick by it has been slowly transforming into the morbid curiosity variation.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

It needs to be perfect, the best game ever made. If it isn't then my entire world will crumble, I'll cry myself to sleep nightly for the rest of my life until the sweet embrace of death finally soothes my horrific disappointment.

lKennedyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i hope it's pretty chill

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

unique loot that are placed in random locations on random planets, but there are only a few of in the universe. They'll probably never be found by anyone, but that would make the hunt so much more fun for me. Without something like that, the game will end once I min-max the stats on all my gear stuff.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ungodly

Have a story... With characters.

kreeztoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kreeztoff

Honestly as long as the game is how it's been presented I'll be more than happy. I'm not expecting some grand MMO, intense combat, or some epic story. I'm looking forward to a leisurely trek across the stars, cataloguing flora and fauna, gathering materials, crafting upgrades, and exploring new worlds. I'm not expecting it to be "the last game I ever buy!" nor do I want it to be.

dudeglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@mirado said:
  1. Have a launch that isn't completely on fire.
  2. Have a launch that isn't completely on fire.
  3. Have a launch that isn't completely on fire.

But what if you could set other people('s planets) on fire?

blueneurosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can I successfully Turn And Burn in space combat? Nothing is more satisfying than using physics to whip around and smoke fools.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

If I enjoy it.

matthewgm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think I'm going to enjoy playing this game long term. But I will still consider it a success if the stories from the emergent gameplay are fun to tell and hear. I need the space equivalent of the Minecraft house burning down video.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm basically just expecting a Minecraft-like experience with a few fresh ideas. Nothing more.

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BelowStupid

For me I've had my fill of exploring worlds purely for the sake of exploring them, after playing a ludicrous amount of Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, and Minecraft.

flakmunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HOTAS support on PC that can easily transition to KBM or controller when on foot.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Space whales.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Budwyzer

Make it free 2 play

sauseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, to be a personal success? Its going to have to keep my interest for months and months. Its going to need to keep me interested enough to want to keep coming back to it.

But as a financial or wide success beyond just me? Its going to need to win many awards, be critically acclaimed, and it needs to be heavily supported and updated by the devs for a while after release.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it needs to excel in space combat as well as ground combat. If the weapons feel and sound powerful and the things I'm shooting out react from getting hit in an interesting way then I think this could be fun at least just flying around and looking for trouble.

Ultimately, I also feel like this game needs to just awe me with its exploration and discovering new things to the point where each planet I visit should feel unique with its landscape and creatures.That seems to be the point of the game, but with procedural generation, I feel like it could go either way with planets and creatures looking too random and not making any logical sense or just looking too plain and boring. I think for this it also should make astronomical sense. A planet near its star should be inhabitable and not a tropical paradise with life abundantly everywhere. Also, one of my hopes is that they have interesting systems like binary star systems.

While getting to the center of the galaxy seems to be the main goal here, I think there needs to be some other end game after that where we can use our best crafted gear to do something else with it. Not sure if this game is getting anything post launch besides maintenance, but honestly if they added another galaxy like Andromeda to go explore with even more bizarre planets, lore, new alien civilizations to talk with, that would be pretty awesome.

It would also be nice if the game ran well.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

- Fantastical creatures on the populated planets that interact with each other and you in interesting ways.
- Visually impressive landscapes on the desolate planets. Weather effects could go a long way.
- Shooting that's tolerable enough to keep things interesting.
- Good soundtrack that complements the exploration.
- Not reliant on the typical survival/crafting b.s.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FrodoBaggins

Actually have something the size of the universe to explore. Which, of course, isn't going to happen.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I guess,

• Have a tight, fun and interesting gameplay loop
  • Make good on the promise of exploring a vast array of planets with unique visuals and things to see.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.