Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

No One Lives Forever

Franchise »

No One Lives Forever is a first-person shooter series set in the '60s starring female super spy Cate Archer. The games are known for their humorous tone.

The Indomitable Cate Archer

morecowbell24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 37

Edited By morecowbell24

The budding operative, Cate Archer, is one of the most endearing and relevant video game protagonists ever written. It’s a shame she came in 2000 and was gone by 2002, and an even more of a shame that Warner Bros. seems keen on letting her story rot away under their lock and key.

The Operative: No One Lives Forever (also known as “NOLF”) is among the finest first person shooter experiences ever made. Its problem? It’s no longer available. Similar to what they did with other games in limbo such as System Shock 2, Night Dive Studios was closing in on the rights to rerelease the NOLF series to the masses via popular gaming services such as Steam and GOG, until they were stopped dead in their tracks by an unwilling to cooperate Warner Bros. Interactive. And so it remains that the only practical ways to play the NOLF series is by way of used copies purchased through Amazon or Ebay or via that illegal piracy.

For many years I’ve wanted to play NOLF, holding out hope that it might be rereleased. I still hope for that day, because I paid the same sixty dollar price someone would pay for a new game, for a used copy of a game that is fifteen years old, and it’s the best sixty dollars I’ve spent this year.

It’s certainly not as pretty as games today, but it holds up well in every other regard. The levels are a widely varied love letter to James Bond and spy cinema. The exceptional shooting is well accented by its stealth options and gadgets. The writing is what really sets NOLF apart though. It is silly, clever and often funny. By some, NOLF is written off as a James Bond parody starring a lady James Bond, but that would suggest the gender swap was empty.

It’s actually painful how relevant this game that came out fifteen years ago remains. The video game industry is widely viewed as male dominated, and for better or for worse, the mere concept of female protagonists gets people going. Set in the late 60s, Cate Archer is in a spy in a male dominated field. Whenever a mission takes a turn for the worse, it is claimed to be a result of her incompetence due to her being a woman.

“Because you’re a woman…”

“I wasn’t expecting a woman.”

“Never send a woman to do a man’s work.”

“Why her? It’s way too dangerous for a woman.”

“Wolloped by a girl?!”

Miss Archer is constantly underestimated by her peers and enemies. Mr. Smith is the mission coordinator of UNITY, the spy organization Archer works for, and he is particularly cold towards Archer's progress on the basis of her gender. Fellow agent Tom Goodman also shares similar sentiments when things go wrong. Cate shows resolve quickly putting such chauvinistic remarks to rest with her sharp tongue, but what rests is sure to come back again.

Archer isn’t completely disregarded as NOLF provides a pretty good representation of many viewpoints and stances on gender roles with its characters. The head of UNITY, Mr. Jones, is always willing to give Archer the benefit of the doubt, while he remains diplomatic to the others’ sexist remarks, and only once the mission is over does he call Mr. Smith out on it. Bruno is a friend of Archer and offers her his full support. Magnus Armstrong is a Scottish brute with a soft side, who becomes embarrassed when Archer bests him. Dmitri Volkov views Archer as a more intriguing nemesis, because of her gender, and Baron Dumas is the kind of oaf to flirt with any girl that gives him a second glance.

All of these characters offer some interesting insight on the idea of women doing what they want and what they might encounter in their pursuit. No One Lives Forever would be an excellent game without the gender swap, but it has left a mark such that if that weren’t the case, it would feel as if it were missing something. With the swap, it feels whole, and transcends the limits of first person shooting in the early 00s.

It’s a shame that such a relevant and charming story is likely lost to litigation and inaction. Who knows, maybe the silly executives at companies like Warner Bros. will allow us to line their pockets someday. Regardless of how you feel about the whole issue, the mere observation of female characters not getting their due in video games is an intriguing one. To me, the prospect of female leads done as well as Monolith could manage fifteen years ago would be a welcome additional perspective to the games of today and tomorrow.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

MAN NOLF IS SO GOOD FUCK

morecowbell24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

awesome game!

Macka1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Man, I missed this back in the day and would love to give it a shot, dated graphics and such aside. A straight-up re-release that simply functioned on modern PCs would be enough for me. As you well pointed out, @morecowbell24, despite being 15 years old, the social commentary regarding gender discrimination is still disappointingly apt. While there are certainly more games now that buck the male-centric trend, the fact that it is still a sticking and talking point reflects the prejudice our industry--and society--still carries.

Also, there just aren't enough proper spy games these days. I like me some stealth, and the shoehorned options that appear in a lot of modern games just don't do it for me.

Bring back Cate Archer!

morecowbell24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@macka1080: I can't recommend it enough. I agree on the lack of spy games too, so I'm pulling for Rockstar to go back to Agent instead of another GTA or Red Dead.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I played NOLF for the first time in 2010 and it's one of my favorite games of all time. They handle the gender role stuff really well, and its a genuinely funny video game, something that I can say about precious few of them. I'm similarly bummed about the fact that the Night Dive project went sideways.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By ch3burashka

What's the best way to play NOLF on PC? I have a copy on PS2 somewhere, but I can't handle the Goldeneye controls (at least that's how I remember my 5 minutes with it).

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

What's the best way to play NOLF on PC? I have a copy on PS2 somewhere, but I can't handle the Goldeneye controls (at least that's how I remember my 5 minutes with it).

The only way I know of to legitimately play NOLF on PC right now is to buy one of the original physical copies. It isn't for sale digitally and may not ever be, which is too bad because I think these are the two funniest games ever made.

http://kotaku.com/the-sad-story-behind-a-dead-pc-game-that-cant-come-back-1688358811

morecowbell24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka: As has been stated by Mike, the only legal way is a physical copy and if you do end up getting a physical copy, I've heard the goty version works fine on 64 bit operating systems, but the original version does not, I used BuckoA51's installer from this forum to get my original copy to work.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Still really bums me out that I missed these games and now it seems like I may never get to play it.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Still got physical copes of both games kicking around, should finally get back to them. Been over ten years since I played both...

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

man this thread really made me want to play it and i thought NOLF was on GOG but it isn't i might never play it again :'(

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I've been dying to play this game again. The original is one of my favorite games of all time. I still own the PS2 version but I can't be bothered to hook all that crap up again. I was really pulling for them to be released on Steam, especially since I've never played the second one, but it seems like WB are being a bunch of stubborn assholes for absolutely no reason. What the hell are they going to do with these games?

I would kill for a NOLF 3 someday. I have a hard time seeing Monolith being able to do anything creative or original in the near future, though.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Let's all hope that Monolith will no longer have to make shitty tie-ins to The Lord of the Rings or other famous franchises and will be allowed to freely make their own games from now on.

If only I did not know better how this industry worked...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.