Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nuclear Throne

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 11, 2013

A procedurally generated roguelike action game developed by Vlambeer. After creating a prototype called Wasteland Kings for Mojam 2, Vlambeer took the prototype and renamed it Nuclear Throne.

Favorite weapons?

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

It's been awhile since I've played the Early Access version, but even then the game had a ton of weapons. The final release seems like it has more than double the amount it did since I've last played (although I admittedly never made it past the junkyard in the old versions).

So what are everyone's favorite weapons they've come across so far? There is a staggering amount, and I keep seeing new ones here and there even though I've played the game a ton at this point. I find the lightning pistol or rifle to be absolutely devastating, especially with the bonus energy weapon damage and flying corpses mutations. It's incredibly useful in the later stages with legions of enemies, where it can arc between them. I found the grenade shotgun today, too, which is also indispensable, provided you don't blow yourself up with it.

Melee weapons seem okay at first, but I feel like they'd be totally useless in the late stages. Too risky. Not really feeling the plasma and laser cannons, and the toxic crossbow. They're powerful and useful in specific situations but way too slow and not worth holding on to for long.

jackburtonme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

My favorite weapon is probably the double flame shotgun, I don't know why but using it just feels like a big middle finger to everybody. The energy melee weapons are definitely viable late game if you have long arms, but it's a little rare that you get that combination. The hyper rifle and assault slugger are also really good if you can keep them fed.

Avatar image for chilipeppersman
    chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By chilipeppersman

@jackburtonme: that and the toxic thrower are my go to weapons. so much carnage!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c295850623f7
    deactivated-5c295850623f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Shovel.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm happy with something that's full auto (machine gun or SMG), and something tossing out explosive or toxic damage. Now I am truthfully terrible at the game, and have only gotten past 3-1 a handful of times, but can kind of see what weapons I like.

The triple mini-gun was pretty sweet the 5 minutes or so that I used it...

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like using the heavy crossbow with the perk that makes corpses fly farther and hurt more. Suddenly a room full of enemies becomes a dance party where everyone's on the floor.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Sdoots

Super Bazooka or something like that. Fires 5 rockets at once in a spread. I've made a level a complete blank slate with it and it was glorious.

My ideal loadout, if I can get so lucky, is a Flak Cannon and a Hyper Rifle.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Shotgun grenade (although range is a bit shorter than I'd like), automatic shotgun, laser minigun (although it chews through your energy pretty fast if you don't have the perks built around it)

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thomasnash

Of the ones that I come across a lot, I really like using the super-crossbow and variants, particularly in conjuction with that auto-aiming perk.

I enjoy using things like the grenade-shotgun, but you seem to mostly get them at a point when there are a lot of corridors and that makes it tricky to use, imo.

I also quite like some of the more precise weapons like the plasma pistol. There's a good shotgun alternative called the Eraser that can be fun to use.

But by far the most devestating thing I've found is the super flak cannon. Combine it with shotgun shoulders and it just blows the last half of the game away. It is a ridiculous gun.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
    citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Assault slugger is nice, I like the laser pistol and rifle, flak cannon can get crazy too. I like to have something for crowd control or high damage and something like a standard machine gun or assault rifle. Mind you I haven't even made it to the throne yet so I haven't seen the crazier stuff.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Shotgun grenade (although range is a bit shorter than I'd like)

YES. I came across the shotgun grenade launcher the other day, and have found it one or two times since, and that thing just lays waste to everything in my path. Glorious gun, as long as you're careful with it.

I also found a lightning shotgun once, and it's similar to the other lightning weapons except that it's spread is obviously wider so i arcs to more dudes at once. Also very deadly, but I didn't get to use it long.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The Super Flak Canon is pretty hilarious. I also have a soft spot for the nuke laucher, though its basically suicide 99% of the time. But that 1% of the time its great. Y.V. with his upgrade amplifies both of these guns.

My acutal answer is probably the Auto Crossbow. Its like a regular crossbow except it just keeps firing. And when you get homing bolts, its just devastating.

captainjudaism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By captainjudaism

The Minigun is my favorite weapon to use. I love how much lead it shoots downstream and how quickly everything dies plus how much it makes the screen shake is amusing. My best run so far has been two loops with Steroids using dual Miniguns, and eventually upgrading to Double miniguns. With Recycle Gland, Throne Butt, and Lucky Shot I basically never let go of my two mouse buttons until everything was dead on every stage.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Auto shotgun gets things done.

Shovel is good early on, and I have a soft spot for mass explosions, but the auto shotgun is so good that it occasionally crashes the game.

dusker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably the gold wrench. That little guy gets me all the way to 5-1 every time.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got the Lightning pistol earlier that was rad

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.