Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nuclear Throne

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 11, 2013

A procedurally generated roguelike action game developed by Vlambeer. After creating a prototype called Wasteland Kings for Mojam 2, Vlambeer took the prototype and renamed it Nuclear Throne.

This game is out for real now.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

Somewhere in all the Playstation Experience hullabaloo, this was announced for PS4 and Vita, put up on the PSN store, and the Steam version has come out of Early Access. Just in time to miss most people's GOTY deliberations! Oh well, I expect the Vlambeer guys give zero fucks about all that.

So, yeah this game's actually out, go for it!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Cool, I checked the second they announced it. I'll take another look!

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I got the game today for the Playstation platforms after I found out it was "No, seriously guys we did officially stealth release that game today and it's not in Early Access anymore". Seems pretty fun!

postalrage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

Even the humble store does not know htat he games is out of early access

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

I just double dipped on this. Bought the game in early access on PC about 14 months ago (I rarely buy games in early access) and have loved it. Nice to have it on my PS4 and VITA too.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

crap i'd like to have this on vita

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game's super fun and tough to put down, but fairly straightforward. The Vita sticks have never felt great for these sorts of shooters so I've been sticking to the PS4.

Put well over a dozen hours into Luftrausers, so hopefully this one sticks with me, too. Vlambeer does what they do so well.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

How does it feel using the dualshock? I'm considering picking up the ps4 version but I wanna be sure I'll actually play it there first.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claybrez: It plays fine! I think mashing the trigger to fire as fast as possible isn't as comfortable or easy as rapid clicking. But that's most of a forced habit for me(also only really useful with the pistol which gets replaced almost immediately).I got by perfectly fine, after I turned autoaim to 20% instead of 0.

I did run into a crash on one run and the official Vlambeer twitter said that there are some other issues. I trust that they'll get to them since they're pretty on top of that stuff. But man what a great announcement to come home to. This is my favorite Vlambeer game by far.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Ahh, I remember watching this get made...

I enjoyed the original (back when it was Wasteland Kings) a reasonable amount, but I'm not sure if I should pick up the full version or not. How much has the game improved since then?

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The music from this game always agitated me.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got a little bit further, and things can weird. Really cool stuff.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By The_Nubster

I was so excited to see this! I've been keeping an eye on it since i entered Early Access, and I never bothered to buy it since I didn't want to burn out on it before it was finished. Playing on PC, by the way.

It's a lot of fun. My very first run was awesome, and it's been hit or miss since then. I've been trying to play lots as Melting, since I like that risk/reward playstyle a lot, and getting a good chain of exploding corpses feels so nice. I haven't gotten very far, though. My go-to guy is Robot. Overall, though, I definitely don't use the special abilities as much as I should. It feels like there's a lot of room for improvement on my end, which is fantastic quality for a roguelike to have.

I can't seem to get my DS4 working properly, though. I use DS4Windows, and I can navigate the menus up until character selection, but then I have no way to advance. I can scroll through the list, but I can't select a character. I also tried to use my mouse to select a character and then play, but the game doesn't read the analogue sticks or D-Pad once I'm in-game. Has anyone else run into this issue?

EDIT: "G" on the keyboard enables gamepad support beyond the Menus. Bizarre! I think I like the mouse better, anyway.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, this game is addicting as all hell. I also changed the buttons around a bit to feel more comfortable to me. Shooting with r1 is way faster and there are few enough buttons to have everything binded to the shoulder buttons so I dont have to take my fingers off the sticks.

This game is waaaay better than I actually even expected, it just feels right. Kinda in the same way as hotline miami felt right to play.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By gundogan

Phew, a game I can add to my GOTY list. Didn't think I would actually get to ten this year. :x

@beachthunder said:

Ahh, I remember watching this get made...

I enjoyed the original (back when it was Wasteland Kings) a reasonable amount, but I'm not sure if I should pick up the full version or not. How much has the game improved since then?

I checked the UPF from 2013 recently where they played it and it looks much more polished now. Same basics, but much prettier and with the feel of a finished game.

I still have a free copy to give away now that I remember. So if anyone wants it on Steam.... PM me your Steam or email I guess? Given away!

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone tell me how it controls on a controller? I am thinking about buying the game on PS4. I From the videos I can see a targeting reticule on the screen - is that just free floating on the screen or is it tethered to the player, or is it a traditional dual-stick type when it's at a set distance from the player? And how does it play? I had no problem playing Hotline Miami on Playstation, how is this in comparison?

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i cannot recommend the PC version it doesn't go fullscreen they use a weird overlay, also rebinding keys doesn't work properly.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quipido: I've played it with controller on PC.

It plays like a traditional twin stick shooter although the targeting reticule slowly snaps back to your character when you're not aiming.

If you had no problems with Hotline Miami on controller then you'll have no problems here. It plays fantastically.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I understand the retro aesthetic but there is something to be said about wasting a ton of screen real estate for the sake of a 4:3 throwback.

This is a game I always wanted to like, but the level design looks so simplified. Yellow floor, blue floor, green floor.. I haven't played it so who knows but apart from the character design everything else has always looked so boring in this game.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#20  Edited By mike

3,973 positive user reviews for the Steam version and only 88 negative reviews. I don't think I have ever seen a percentage so high, and it's well deserved. There is so much depth and variety here I think almost everyone can find multiple characters and weapon combinations that they enjoy. And it's only $11.99 on Steam at full price. At that price it's worth it just for the music, which is also phenomenal.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mirado

"I don't need no friends, I don't need no phone, just a bag of severed head and my Nuclear Throne."

Nuclear Throne is a ton of fun, like a faster Binding of Isaac (but as a true dual joystick shooter). It's also hard as nails, as I defeat the throne perhaps once out of every five runs, and forget anything after that.

The music is also fantastic, and while almost all of them are instrumentals, I have to highlight my favorite:

Loading Video...

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I bought it on PS4 and I have to confirm it controlls really well indeed. Tons of fun, this one.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

Plays like a dream on the Vita, too. I have very minute tremors in my hands so I did notice that my crosshair was wobbly, and I missed some precise shots I wouldn't have on the PC or PS4 versions, but I made it as far as I typically do on either of those on my first run regardless.

It doesn't seem to have cross-save, which is a bit of a bummer. Some of the characters are a pain to unlock.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sdoots said:

Plays like a dream on the Vita, too. I have very minute tremors in my hands so I did notice that my crosshair was wobbly, and I missed some precise shots I wouldn't have on the PC or PS4 versions, but I made it as far as I typically do on either of those on my first run regardless.

It doesn't seem to have cross-save, which is a bit of a bummer. Some of the characters are a pain to unlock.

Funny, on my very first run I made it to 5-3, not playing the game ever before on other platforms. I unlocked three more characters on that run as well. After two more hours of playtime I only made it to 5-3 one more time and died there again! Bummer about the cross-save tho, I could see this being awesome on Vita.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I look forward to buying this for a quarter at some point and giving it a whirl.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this cross buy on PlayStation?

jackburtonme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone tried the co-op? I can't get it to work. I have a Xbone controller, but the game works only on one device (keyboard or controller, never both).

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any tips for new players?

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I've had this on Steam Early Access shortly after it was available and played it for many hours in its various incarnations, never managing to get past the second boss. Bought it again on PS4, and not only have I been able to beat that boss multiple times, but I've even made it to the throne once! Didn't kill it, though. Yeah, the game is still tough as nails, and I think some of it is still super cheap and unbalanced in spots, but damn if it isn't fun.

Those purple assassin guys, though. Fuck those things with a street cone.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mrfluke

Its been a long time since ive gotten this addicted to a gameplay focused game, Those Vlambeer guys just nailed the gameplay so damn well, that this game has that "just one more try" feeling to it

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
    citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daaamn I've RPG'd Isaac but this game is kicking my ass, it's just so much faster and hectic. Really fun though. I think 5-2 is the farthest I've made it so far. If anyone has any basic tips I'd love to hear them.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm, I think this game is for me, but I can't seem to find it on PSN. Is it not out for EU yet?

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dussck: it is, but it's not promoted, I had to search for it in the alphabetical thingy up top

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quipido: I searched on the Playstation Store site for 'Throne', but all that came up was Game of Thrones.. I'll search on the PS4 store.

IanSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ballsleon:

When you're first starting out, take it slow. Its easy to be overwhelmed by enemies, so play it safe to begin with.

Each world has its own feel to it -- different enemies, hazards, shape, size, etc. When you first make it to a new one, experiment with tactics and guns there. There's a LOT to be discovered.

You will die. A lot. It's okay, I'm a good 10 hours in and I still occasionally eat it on 1-3. This game doesn't pull any punches, but before long, you'll start to get the hang of things, look back and realize how easy your old trials feel now.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: That's the US store, but I now found it at EU as well!

Have to support my fellow Dutchies.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man the art is sooooo good, I'll buy it just because of that!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BisonHero

Years later, I still really love the music track on the title screen. The way it starts off with the acoustic guitar and vocalizations, and then when you go to the character select screen it slams into the electric guitar part. It's so good.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So should I go ahead and get this on PS4 or PC?

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@bisonhero: Don't listen to this if you want to discover the song for yourself in the game, but I suggest you listen to it.

Loading Video...

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So after really sinking my teeth into the Vita port, I've found it does have some real frame rate issues when a lot of stuff is blowing up at once. Since that can happen somewhat frequently in the late game, you might find that off putting. Honestly, I've found it sort of charming.

There's something amusing about watching the entire screen fill with explosions and start shaking wildly as the framerate drops to a slideshow for a few seconds.

PS4 doesn't have this issue, as you'd expect.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sdoots said:

So after really sinking my teeth into the Vita port, I've found it does have some real frame rate issues when a lot of stuff is blowing up at once.

Not to be overly negative, but I feel like this is the story of like, over 50% of all Vita ports ever. Games designed for the Vita from the ground up seem fine, but the ports seem like they've had a rough go of it for whatever reason.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.