This game is really buggy at the moment (PS4)

• 51 results
Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

This game baked for a long time in the early acces oven so I expected it to be nice and crispy, but it's raw as hell!

In my 11 hours of playtime it straight up crashed 8 or 9 times, it's almost impossible to do the daily - sometimes it crashes why loading it up, other times it lets me in even I have done the daily. And it spits up all kinds of crazy errors, in the PS4 system layer, from numeric codes to full on pages of what looks like a crash log (stuff like "collision error on object no. 34" etc.)

Also some minor stuff like the end-level portal appearing not on the last kill, but elswhere in the map.

I just had my best run so far, unlocked a new character and it crashed on me in the next level. I have the character unlocked, at least, but my stats screen didn't update so my furthest run log is off. No biggie there, but overall it makes Fallout 4 look like the most polished game in comparison so far.

Now the question is: are those bugs gonna be adressed? I didn't follow the game or developer before the release so I have no idea how have they been regarding updates and patches. But as you can see, I am not pleased so far!

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I've had some, shall we say, interesting issues with the game on PC. It once had pop ups telling me there was issues with certain variables (in the programming sense) and asked if I wanted to continue. It also, once started to crash and asked me if I wanted to debug it in Visual Studio. But yes, across 7 hours I've had probably 5 crashes or so, which is certainly frustrating.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Its vlambeer. they would hopefully get this shit figured out. right? I've not played this but have played a ton of Luftrausers and Ridiculous Fishing.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben_h: you could hack in some dope tables and radio buttons from studio

jackburtonme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jackburtonme

I bought the game around an update in the mid-60s (they're now on 96), the game used to be solid for the most part. I'd never had it crash before. Around update 94 or so, just a few weeks ago, they basically rewrote the code for a bunch of the under-the-hood stuff, I think to optimize it for the other platforms (especially vita). They have said that they underestimated the amount of work that would need to be done before PSX and the game wasn't where they hoped it would be for the official launch. They seem to be working pretty hard on getting bugs fixed right now. You can follow the progress on the steam discussion board (the pinned discussion "Update 97").

It's a bummer that it's in the shape it is right now, I've had quite a few crashes also, but Vlambeer seem like good guys and I think they will get it put back into the shape it was in a few months ago.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I know it's been in early access for awhile, but lets not be drama-queens about it.

I bought the game around an update in the mid-60s

novadth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@getz: Check Nuclear Throne's updates before calling people drama-queens, it really is in the 90+ updates.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Weird I've played probably 8 hours or so on PS4 and haven't had any problems like that, the only issue has been some error when trying to pull up leaderboards for the daily.

I do, however, think it is bullshit that when you pause the game it defaults to the "Menu" option so if you accidentally press X it dumps you back to the menu and you lose your progress for that run.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

@novadth said:

@getz: Check Nuclear Throne's updates before calling people drama-queens, it really is in the 90+ updates.

Check your sarcasm detector before... well what you just did.

Loading Video...

jackburtonme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@getz: Yep, I remember when they had to remove Kennedy as a playable character... it was a scary time for us all.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crashes just crazy in this game. Had a few "normal" crashes this evening, and then to cap it off, just had it go to a "fatal error" screen or something while I was fighting the throne! Super annoying!

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#12 rmanthorp  Moderator
Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to see the developer is actively working on the game at least!

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck this shit, I just lost my best run yet (I'm around 20 hours in) to another hard crash. I am done until they patch it. I am tired of this motherfucking mess.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was kinda surprised when they released this for PS4 so suddenly, since the last couple of PC updates were pretty broken. But then all of a sudden its out and still kinda broken. Honestly I've only had it hard crash on 7-3. This has happened twice ,the same way, immediately after I die. Also the dailies/weeklies are broken. But I gotta say, seeing the Game Maker Studio crash logs on a PS4 is pretty cool.

I think there's a patch that's going through Sony right now. I bet that they'll fix everything but I feel like it might take a while on PS4.

Avatar image for tavistavistavis
tavistavistavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yea I don't complain much about crashes and such, but, this has been sooooo bad for me, every good run I have had it has totally freaked out with error codes or crashing to the xmb. It's a challenging game which is what makes the crashes so infuriating. I'm just gonna step away from this game for awhile. But when you put a game down there is always the danger that you'll never come back. I do like this game though.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By Yummylee

Haven't suffered any crashes I'm happy to say, though I do always get an error message when I'm in the midst of uploading my Daily Run to leaderboards. Also skins are broken too it seems, or at least Robot's B skin is as it never goes into effect when I select it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I've had the game crash on 7-1, 7-2, and just now on 7-3. On Vita.

It's infuriating because I like this game a lot.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So i take it its a bad idea for me to pick it up.

Avatar image for deactivated-60339640361ae
deactivated-60339640361ae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Every time when I get to the last levels the game crashes and gives a full screen worth of error messages when something explodes. This is terrible.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A month later and still no patch?? This is beyond fucked.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quipido said:

I believe one will be arriving tomorrow, though yes it's still a proper shitshow that this game's been left in this state for so long. Wanna play with me B skins already.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:
@quipido said:

I believe one will be arriving tomorrow, though yes it's still a proper shitshow that this game's been left in this state for so long. Wanna play with me B skins already.

Yes, I was trying to chill because of the Christmas and even people in cert deseve to take some time off, but this is just ridicilous at this point.

I have never svore as much as did in this thread, for that I am sorry, it just both bumms me out and pisses me off. It also makes me spend less money on games from now on, I will wait for sales on most of everything because you not only save money, but get a superior product if you wait six months or something. And looks like it really applies to both "AAA" and smaller games.

towolie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quipido: on top of getting a better working and more complete game, you can often buy it for half price after a couple of months!

i bought mad max on steam for 16 euro last sale ( 1 of the few games i'd argue that it was already amazing at launch )

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I emailed the developer and got a response that the patch is coming, but they want to take care of more issues in one go because the cert/submission process is not cheap. I get that, but unfortunately they already did take my money so why should I care? I am looking forward to playing the game at some point, but I am pissed at the same time.

Invo1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Invo1221

@quipido: Thanks for the update and for reaching out in the first place. I'm glad to hear that Vlambeer is responsive, too. It will be nice to be able to actually stream the console version for more than a couple of runs.

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have until this point in my life been lucky with bugs in games. Then I bought Nuclear Throne. I have had it crash on me every single time I fire it up to play. The daily challenges are impossible to complete, the game randomly crashes, it has been so frustrating. It's such a shame because when it works, I absolutely love it, but after last week when it crashed on me when I made it to the throne for only the second time, I AM DONE until this mess gets fixed.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am AMAZED by the complete lack of support at this point. Today it's exactly three months since release and despite the promisses, not a single update came on the PS4. What is up? Even if they wanted to take the time to cover all the issues in one go (which they said they wanted to), three months is a bit much!?!

Avatar image for bigprimenumbers
BigPrimeNumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BigPrimeNumbers

Is there a forum for this game that isn't Steam? We need to be able to post issues for PS4, PS3, and Vita. Weird audio glitches, and the directional pad not being supported (even on menus) is baffling.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I saw a tweet that said they just submitted a patch for Sony testing...over 6 months after release. I have my doubts based on their rotten track record but if the PS4 version isn't patched by next week then it never will be.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By Strife777

@mezmero: About damn time. I struggled through numerous hard crashes, but at some point it got me way too frustrated. It sucked, because it's a great game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezmero said:

I saw a tweet that said they just submitted a patch for Sony testing...over 6 months after release. I have my doubts based on their rotten track record but if the PS4 version isn't patched by next week then it never will be.

Ha, pretty weird coincidence since I tweeted only yesterday about how ridiculous it is that it still hasn't been patched.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pop in every week or two to do a quick run. And I figured they completely gave up on it, so this is good news.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mezmero

My hope is that Sony will be somewhat expedient to put this whole mess to rest. It makes them look bad when part of the PS4's intial messaging was about better tools for indie devs yet everything about Vlambeer's handling of the console version flies in the face of that. If getting basic fixes out for the PS4 version was such a problem for them then maybe that should be addressed to better help indie studios in the future instead of pretending that it hasn't been a total shit show. This thread should be saved for posterity, looking at the posts spanning several months is quite insane. So much false hope for such a long time.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh come the fuck on! I imagine it has something to do with 4th of July weekend for the SCEA end of this but still, talk about bad timing. Just to clarify I wouldn't always be taking Vlambeer to task like this if I didn't think Nuclear Throne was an amazing game. It's fantastic, and also broken as fuck on consoles. Console players got treated like second class citizens when it came to updates and that straight up sucks. I get that their staff is micoscopic compared to even most Indie studios but this has been the worst support for a digital release I've experienced on PS4.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36  Edited By stackboy

I'd really like to play this on PS4 but not going back until it's 100% fixed.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to apologize for possibly getting anyone's hopes up that any sort of patch is on the way. Seems like there really is no intent to fix this thing. I imagine all console players' money is being spent to fund Rami's travels to developer conferences and game jams to give his masturbatory talks to anyone who will listen. I struggle to even call Vlambeer a "developer" anymore. They certainly create games but rarely actually finish them unless they're on mobile or PC.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

@mezmero said:

I'd like to apologize for possibly getting anyone's hopes up that any sort of patch is on the way. Seems like there really is no intent to fix this thing. I imagine all console players' money is being spent to fund Rami's travels to developer conferences and game jams to give his masturbatory talks to anyone who will listen. I struggle to even call Vlambeer a "developer" anymore. They certainly create games but rarely actually finish them unless they're on mobile or PC.

Making games is fucking hard.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe it's now 8 months and counting without a single patch for PS4/Vita. Vlambeer seem like they're getting ready to announce some new project soon so there's that. No matter what it is I refuse to support it because of how poorly they handled Nuclear Throne's console release. I would strongly encourage others to not support them as well. Just sell that studio to a publisher that gives a damn about quality control.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Really fucking disappointed with the state this thing was released in. I actually trusted them and bought it, and now I wish I hadn't. A shame really, I like their work.

I had a feeling Gamemaker's PS4 export was garbo, guess this kinda confirms it.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the concept of Nuclear Throne, but it crashes out way too often to enjoy.

Did us raw Vlambeer.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For what it's worth they posted something on Monday saying that they still plan to issue a patch.

I'm not sure it's worth much but the game still might get fixed.

I say this as someone who bought the game but never even played it because of all the talk about bugs and crashes.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 15

For what it's worth they posted something on Monday saying that they still plan to issue a patch.

I'm not sure it's worth much but the game still might get fixed.

I say this as someone who bought the game but never even played it because of all the talk about bugs and crashes.

Ironically Rami from Vlambeer did just make that huge blog about day one patches recently. I guess in light of day one patches or no patches at all, the day one version is a better alternative. Clever way of proving that point!

But hey, making games is hard, unlike making money to buy games which just happens magically when you sleep.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well the good news, is that the patch is still coming. There was a blog post talking about their anniversary book. It alludes to the fact that their engine, Game Maker, wasn't really made for consoles so it took extra long, having to going through cert and the company that made Game Maker. They're also updating almost all of their other games, while they're at it. I remember Luftrausres crashing on leaderboards on PS3. So hey, patches for everyone!

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

But hey, making games is hard, unlike making money to buy games which just happens magically when you sleep.

I think this is one of my most favourite things I've ever read on the internet.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, not this time guys. But you know, 9th month's a charm...

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Patch this morning, and no crash after daily! Hurray!

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Mezmero

Yup it's out on PS4 at least, can't speak to Vita version. I gotta be honest I had my doubts that this would ever come out but hey they finally did it the beautiful bastards. Some things I can confirm on some test runs:

- B-skins, crowns, and golden weapon select work.

- Daily leaderboards are functional.

- Pause screen defaults to "continue" instead of "menu"

- No weird hitchy freeze when you restart or jump out to the main menu. The transition is nearly instantaneous.

I have a couple other things to test later but so far everything seems to be working okay. One problem is that I unlocked the B-skin for Plant pre-patch and the trophy does not unlock automatically post patch. I'll have to make another attempt at the "Blood Blood Blood!" Trophy once more to confirm if it works. This is the one I'm most worried about because Luftrausers had a notorious bug where a certain trophy was unattainable that never got patched.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Hope the EU build goes through soon, would be nice to play this again on PS4.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 15

Did it really take them 9 months to gin up this patch? I know cert is difficult, I read the blog, but holy shit 9 months?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.