Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Obduction

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 24, 2016

A first-person adventure game by Cyan Worlds, in the vein of Myst.

The brilliant Russian box puzzle! (Spoiler)

Aethelred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The puzzles in this game weren't too hard until I came to the Russian box puzzle. (Players who have reached it know what I am talking about.) It is connected to a mechanical stairway, so it is obviously important. I pushed all the switches, turned all the knobs, carefully watching the patterns, and typed numbers into the keypad to watch what happens. I studied the Russian writing, looking for clues.

I finally found the solution, and it is genius: There is no puzzle. The box is just a counterweight to the stairway! I burst out laughing at how clever it is.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I put the Russian writing into Google Translate using my phone and got back "boondoggle" which, combined with the fact that there are just so many buttons and switches on the thing, tipped me off that it was a red herring. It definitely got a smile out of me, too. There is an achievement in the game related to the box, so it's not technically completely useless, at least.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ajamafalous

I put the Russian writing into Google Translate using my phone and got back "boondoggle" which, combined with the fact that there are just so many buttons and switches on the thing, tipped me off that it was a red herring. It definitely got a smile out of me, too. There is an achievement in the game related to the box, so it's not technically completely useless, at least.

There are actually two achievements! Also, after reading the subreddit post-completion, somebody else had translated the text as something like 'senseless endeavor,' which is equally hilarious.

As far as my playthrough: I just messed with it for a minute or two seeing what each knob/button did, noticed I could never get the 5 light to turn on, figured 'I probably need something from somewhere else so I'll just come back later,' and obviously never needed to come back before the end of the game.

takanu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@ajamafalous:That's what I thought too.

It is actually used though for some of the super-backers, to unlock very specific easter eggs, but you first have to make the machine fall off the lever, then input this code (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab8GtuPdrUQ), then guess one of around 65, 20-digit codes. If the lights turn green, you've entered a correct code. Return to Farley's house and turn on the projector to see the easter egg. The only code that's been made public is 34729-20764-58390-20234

These easter eggs seem more like a personal note rather than something anyone else could find cool, but theres a great Steam guides page that detailed this (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=752129037)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.