Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Observation

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 21, 2019

A Sci-Fi Thriller seen through the eyes of a Space Station AI.

Just spent a few hours with this...

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I have to say I am MAJORLY impressed by this games vibe, as someone that watches 2001, Interstellar, Moon, Sunshine, and Alien just about annually, lonely sci-fi has always captivated me. The idea of hacking, camera-ing, and flying around this near-derelict space station is so friggin cool to me, but I think I might hate it. Theres something about getting lost 3 or 4 times within the span of an hour that really puts me off. Maybe I'm stupid, maybe the reviews seem a little high? For me it was a great vibes, lost between boring mini-games simulator.

SilenceUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Don’t know if you got this far but I’m stuck. So without saying too much my current objective is to check my station alerts in regard to module un3.

But the station alerts are blank and I have the coolant network hub schematic (well a slightly corrupted one) but now I’m at an impasse ? Did you get past this point ?

Bobulus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bobulus

Silence, I got past that part tonight. Here's what I did, hope this helps:

- Move to system alerts tab in SamOS.

- Displayed several red, white, and green boxes. Clicking each of these brings up an alert, with white being priority.

- You need to report the alert to Emma, one at a time.

- Once I reported the coolant leak, she told me to take a look.

- In the coolant area, I found two halves of a coolant schematic, one in the computer, one on a paper on the wall.

- Aquiring both led to a new System Memory prompt to assemble the two together.

- The three coolant nodes could then be fixed by getting the number off the side, and inputting the correct schematic pattern.

- Then you use the hub to reboot the system and you're good to go.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought this on friday and finished it yesterday, think it took me 3-4 hours? Technically it looks great, but like seemingly every Unity game on PS4, it doesn't run amazingly and at times gets really choppy with it's framerate. Luckily it's a slow-paced game and doesn't require precision, so tech hiccups don't get in the way of progressing.

Using the controller is also clunky at times and with some of the puzzles Abby mentioned in the QL, it can be extra frustrating to manage, but I do think it's more fun to get feedback with than a keyboard and a mouse would be.

All that aside, both the presentation and story were great! It didn't feel like it dragged on at any point and was told effectively.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Finished it yesterday and I was extremely disappointed with it. Don’t get me wrong, the aesthetics is top notch and the story is fun pulp, but the design is so bad. Getting lost and not knowing what to do is never fun unless it’s kind of the point. I was also pretty annoyed that they subvert their concept almost right away by giving you access to a physical body, especially that the parts where you’re forced to use the cameras over the flying sphere are better in my opinion.

I suspect I would’ve liked it a lot more if the gameplay was just perfunctory and I never got stuck, but it’s not the case.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@fear_the_booboo: Glad to see I'm not alone in my thinking, such cool vibes but a terribly wasted opportunity. The drone body made everything so much worse, remaining the mind behind the AI voice would have been way more engaging in this context.

motivotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bobulus: Thanks so much for this explanation! I was so lost

IEEE_GB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sahalarious: Ya I find myself just annoyed more than anything playing this so I may only continue using a walk through to not waste time

Avatar image for schismnavigator
    SchismNavigator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finished this game a few days ago. It isn't for everyone but personally I found it to be a pretty tight hard sci-fi movie like experience. For the sake of others I will not discuss the plot at all, I recommend experiencing it yourself.

However, as far as gameplay goes I was a little frustrated at the penultimate puzzle with some pixel hunting going on.

Played it on EGS with KB+Mouse and found the controls acceptable.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By The_Nubster

Just finished it myself.

I really, really liked the premise and a lot of the exploratory parts of it. ultimately my disappointment comes from it wanting to be both pressingly urgent and also making concessions to being what amounts to an extremely well-made point and click adventure game. I don't regret my time with it at all and it's the first game we've had that even approaches what 2001 or Moon accomplished, but in the end I came away from it feeling as if it was vague for lack of a better way to communicate its message as opposed to being vague for the sake of that message, if that makes sense.

Regardless, I do really highly recommend it. The performances in the game, especially of Emma and of SAM himself, are excellent. As well, it represents a really fascinating half-step in the adventure game genre and mostly does a good job of translating that style of gameplay to a really complex and unusual 3D environment. And it lands itself on a short list of modern games (along with Prey, Dead Space 2 & 3) that dares to explore semi-realistic movement in a zero-G environment in a way that almost entirely relies on players figuring the space out themselves.

Howardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish products like this had a tag in the title that said "no gameplay" so that those who seek gameplay in their games can quickly move along instead of having to click and watch and seek through videos before they realize the type of product it is.

Falk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Just finished it and loved it. Shot up to the top of my GOTY list for now. I recently finished Sekiro, and this was such a great surprise of a game, compared to Sekiro which I am actually pretty disappointed with.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I guess I'm a year late but I just played through all of this in chunks over the course of my Sunday and I'm pretty happy with it.

It's on Game Pass so I gave it a whirl and I really liked the retro interfaces. It's basically a collection of mini-games wrapped around a sci-fi story. I do think it's probably better experienced using a mouse and keyboard as moving the cameras around and such can often feel a bit clunky. Some parts could use a bit more clarity but once you learn what the game expects of you it becomes easier to parse the visual clutter and see the important bits.

Typically not a fan of these ambiguous "what does it mean you decide" type of endings but it was a fun trip nonetheless. After The Last of Us 2 this was a much welcome respite in being able to sit down and just blow through a story in a day.

If you like wacky sci-fi stuff with some interesting design choices then I recommend it. I think it manages to nail down what Tacoma was trying to do but with a lot more style and more engaging player-presence in the game world.

LucidDreams117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LucidDreams117

I just discovered this game the other day too! Okay, maybe not discovered. I knew about it when it was released last year on PS4 and didn't play it till it showed up this year on Game Pass and it is sooooooo good. The vibes, the late credits sequence, the "Bring Her" writing and everything else that comes with that style is incredible. Truely one of the better games I've played in recent years.

It's also short so it doesn't feel like it outstays its welcome. Great visuals too. Perfect example of a narrative driven game that knows what story it wants to tell, tells it perfectly and finishes. Much like Portal.

I will admit though that it doesn't hold your hand and put a waypoint where to go next so it can be a little like fumbling in the dark but I never got frustrated with it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@luciddreams117: I discovered entirely too late that you can place your own waypoints.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.