Anyone playing this? It's good. I'm about 13 hours in or so and I cannot put it down. Reviews seem to be slightly disappointed that it's too close to the first one, but I never played it, so that doesn't bother me. Random thoughts...
- The music is amazing.
- The writing is generally strong and is fairly good at avoiding JRPG cliches, although a few make it in (ahem amnesia). I especially like the smaller scale and more realistic feel - no one is saving the world (at least not yet.)
- So far the stories are pretty separate, but apparently there are sidequests that combine two characters at a time. I have not seen this yet, but it would be very welcome.
- I *really* like the nonlinearity. Yes, within chapters there's not much freedom, but there seems to be plentiful sidequests, and the ability to choose which chapter to do next makes it seem so much more open.
- Really enjoy the characters' unique abilities outside of combat. There's so much to do - every NPC has a background that you can learn, and sometimes it's surprising. Mildly disappointing that some of the characters' abilities seem to be more-or-less repeated.
- The combat is pretty fun and fast. Nothing too remarkable. I do wish you could avoid the random encounters when you want to.
- I enjoy the HD-2D style, but I wish the characters' pixel art was *slightly* more high-res / detailed.
Hard to pick a favorite character, but I just completed Osvald's Chapters 1-2 and it's pretty intriguing so far.