Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Oculus Rift

Accessory »

The Oculus Rift is a virtual reality headset for the PC released in March 2016.

Oculus Rift Pre-Orders Now Available, Package is Priced at $599

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

ItsTyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Yeah, I'm looking into something like that. I just don't know how to figure out which one will work with the rest of my computer/case. As much as I'm competent with software and stuff, the most I've ever done hardware wise is swap out / add graphics cards / hard drives... not sure if this will be too difficult for me xD

Although I'm sure Google can help some. I just don't want to break anything...

Substance_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#453  Edited By Substance_D

Uhh, how is replacing your motherboard to get more USB 3.0 ports easier than upgrading your video card? I realize there are probably other ways to get more ports.

Anyone with less than those required specs hasn't been high end gaming for a long time anyway. Quit moaning and start upgrading if you want to use the Oculus.

@joshthevaliant: Go big or go home with video cards. You done messed up.

@thefriend said:

Too much but pre-ordered. (Because I'm a mad man)

Same, I don't know if I'll have $600 when they charge me, but I'm sure as hell gonna try.

@gulinotm said:

It's about what i figured, if you expected 200-400 you were dreaming.

Or just a typical entitled, whiny kid.

How can VR ever be mainstream if you can only order it from the US?

There's a world outside of the US you know...

An American company is not obligated to ship things worldwide. If you want it, you'll have to do the leg work. Welcome to the real world.

amirite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sean_npr: Easy dude - pick your battles. It's a journalistic thing, very common. It's the price the vendor specified. Yes it's marketing but technically it is $599.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Interview with Palmer Luckey at CES from Giant Bomb sister site Tested.com:

Loading Video...

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: I just sort of skimmed through that but it's really odd to me that during the entire interview they don't once show footage of the thing in use, of the kind of experiences you can expect with it or anything other than the device sitting in a very expensive, premium looking box.

Maybe that's a problem on Tested end or maybe Oculus didn't give them any B-roll to run alongside the interview but for something that's so hard to sell in the first place, not showing the experiences that come along with it seems odd.

Aethelred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: The video could use some footage from Lawnmower Man edited into it!

Just talking about VR is like "dancing about architecture."

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#460  Edited By hassun

@jesus_phish: I think that's just Tested. They aren't trying to explain to people what an Oculus Rift or VR headset is. It's aimed at people who know quite well what those things are and want to see Mr Luckey being interviewed about the price and consumer release of the Oculus Rift.

(Also this being shot at CES probably doesn't allow them a lot of time and opportunities to edit the footage.)

Gotta love that double thumbs up at the end there though.

dovah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#461  Edited By dovah

Somehow I feel that enough people who want the newest toys will buy these. Maybe moost gamers can't afford it for various reasons, but a lot of people have money to spend.

I'm really curios as to how many they expect to sell, need to sell and how many they have sold. I wonder when those numbers will be released.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#463  Edited By NTM

Wow, and I was just talking to my brother earlier about virtual reality. I was telling him that as cool as it may be to experience, the price is way too high and the things you need with it isn't worth it. I thought it would be around 200 hundred (which is already too much for something you put on your head), but at that price? Not even close to worth it. Maybe 100 and everything just works; otherwise it's not happening for me. I'd love to experience gaming VR, but not at the cost... Not soon anyways. I'd have to get an all new PC, and then after that, if I even wanted to by then (as I assume I'd be content with a new PC then), I'd have to look into getting one. Right now it's not something I can even consider, or care to. My biggest interest would be to play sci-fi games, and horror games.

dovah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@couldberolf: Completely agree with the price of new tech often being high. Also agree that games aren't going to be the main drive behind VR innovative uses.

I understand people may be disappointed because they can't afford it. Still I'm so excited to see and use this technology.

ptshooter619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dovah said:

Somehow I feel that enough people who want the newest toys will buy these. Maybe moost gamers can't afford it for various reasons, but a lot of people have money to spend.

I'm really curios as to how many they expect to sell, need to sell and how many they have sold. I wonder when those numbers will be released.

If I had money to spare I'd buy it for sure. VR is going to be awesome to use. 600 bucks is just too expensive for most people including myself.

gren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I guess VR is still a few years out for me then. I'm sure as hell not gonna take out a loan to get in on it right now lol.

misfittoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Damn, those specs though. If I didn't JUST upgrade my system to accommodate a 970 I wouldn't have a chance. Still scary to think I'm running the minimum specs. Guess I have license to spend $600 now. The big question, of course, is what games will be there when this thing launches and is this just version 1.0 and I'll be spending another $600 in 18 months or so for the REAL version.

DareMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder for that money how long players will get to play games before VR sickness kicks in.

Aethelred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dareman: It would indeed be a shame if someone spent all that money for an Oculus Rift and for upgrading their rig just to discover that it makes them nauseous. "Hmm. Maybe a bit more money for Dramamine might make it playable."

Also, I just learned that Wikipedia has a page on virtual reality sickness.

DareMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aethelred: I sure hope this time VR will work and no meds are needed. That would be a first - pop some Dramamine and it gets instantly fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.