Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Oculus Rift

Accessory »

The Oculus Rift is a virtual reality headset for the PC released in March 2016.

Oculus Unveils Final Model of the Rift, Due Early 2016

• 127 results
    MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@icf_19xx said:

@polkaduke said:

I, for one, do not know what'll after that.

I'm sorry. What?

You want him to do you so much you could do anything.

Zagor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frythefly: No-one lit a cigarette after... obviously, it doesn't work ;)

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

wait a minute.... insomniac games making a lovecraft horror game.... wow! wow! FIRST REACTION is just these current horror FPS games, but with Insomniac Games color, style and Characters....... REANIMATOR.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomba_be: VR games, if designed as sit-down experiences, still need some type of control for turning, if not looking, so a right stick is a good thing to have. In the HL2 control scheme I liked to use with the original Rift DK, the gamepad controls were kept intact, removing the ability to look up and down on the right stick, while the Rift only controlled head-movement, as opposed to the direction of the "body", and aiming.

I hope there are smoother interface designs coming, and I'm sure there's an intelligent physical analog for lifting your thumb off the left stick to press a button. You need to stop moving to tie your shoelaces?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

:o

That Edge of Nowhere thing! I must see more!

ep_driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Now that I'm blessed to work at a videogame developer, I'm finally around people that have an Oculus. Tried it for my first time tonight and that shit is mind blowing. I now understand more than ever the selling power it would have by getting it into people's hands to try. I rarely, if ever, feel immersed in a videogame world (sadly), but using the Oculus changed that for me. So pumped for this.

colinjw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I am surprised about the Microsoft addition. I get what both Oculus and Microsoft are trying to do but I am not so sure that it will work. Got to wonder how much the controllers will add to the price.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#108  Edited By Bollard

Two of the three games they announced to launch their VR experience are third person. What.

Also how the hell are you mean to hold those controllers?

EDIT: Also it is long past time they announce actual specs, instead of saying "higher resolution." Valve and HTC came out and spilled everything immediately with the Vive or whatever it's called, and Oculus still wont say how many pixels are in their damn consumer model.

From having used DK1 and DK2, resolution is still a huge sticking point. 1080p is nowhere near high enough. 4k might be.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#109  Edited By GunstarRed

The last thing I want to do is strap shit to my face when playing games. I don't care how immersive it is. I'm still not convinced anyone else is going to want to do this either beyond the initial and inevitable "Hey look how cool this shit is" promotion that will be all over mainstream TV.

Klyith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is weird. Can't wait for Star Citizen on this thing.

You mean on the Oculus Rift 2 right?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also are you kidding me? They STILL haven't put padding on the part that rests on your nose? Literally unbelievable.

Helter_Skelter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard said:

Also how the hell are you mean to hold those controllers?

EDIT: Also it is long past time they announce actual specs, instead of saying "higher resolution." Valve and HTC came out and spilled everything immediately with the Vive or whatever it's called, and Oculus still wont say how many pixels are in their damn consumer model.

From having used DK1 and DK2, resolution is still a huge sticking point. 1080p is nowhere near high enough. 4k might be.

1. In your hands, I suspect (the view in that picture is from the front).

2. They've previously revealed that the consumer Rift will be use two 1080x1200 screens, same as the Vive.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Icaria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone wake me when the reviews are out and I know whether to begrudgingly give my money to Facebook or to begrudgingly give my money to Valve. I'm guessing the OR will have a slightly better quality screen due to years of R&D on latency and optics and the Vive will only work with Steam games or something stupid like that.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#116  Edited By extintor

ok ok... minor props on making the Xbone controller the standard input, but Microsoft , don't call us again until you've actually got something novel/interesting to talk about.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who know what'll after that indeed.

nok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@bollard: Go listen to the recent tested podcast as they discuss in great length how it rests on your head and what they have done to make it comfortable.

Benmo316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrm: I'm allowed to dream, aren't I?

yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

What is life? :s Good article!

UracilHokeNut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjinm: god damn it, the dream is real

Skittlenizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think this is going to be for Me. I got motion sickness the last time I tried one of these things. :(

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nok said:

@bollard: Go listen to the recent tested podcast as they discuss in great length how it rests on your head and what they have done to make it comfortable.

I'll go check it out. I know that the DK1 and DK2 aren't meant to rest on your nose, but trust me, when you put it on, even with the overhead strap it slips down and eventually starts cutting into it. Hopefully it's a bit more sophisticated then, but I really don't see why they wouldn't just put a bit of padding on the nose just in case. It's all around the rest of the unit, just extend it down damnit!

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#126  Edited By avantegardener

Have seen nothing yet that has me remotely interested in VR.

Disclaimer: I have not tried VR.

I'm pretty sure this will be a flash in the pan and we'll be joking about it in less than 5 years. It's too complicated (and expensive) for th average consumer. The reason the Wii was a stroke of genius was it was simplistic and cheap.

The acid test will be will Granny and Grandad pop on a headset at Christmas?

Mine are dead, so that would be super creepy.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Well, I guess that answer how MS gets into this ecosystem with nothing developed.

I think the big issue is YOU DON'T WANT THIS technology now. You don't want 2016 Oculus and you don't want 2016 Sony Morpheus either. There are a few technologies based around solving the resolution, latency, and tracking that will need to happen and that will happen with the updated hardware you might see in 2017/18.

Oh course, we want 'some people' to buy this stuff, so it doesn't flop. Yet, realistically I think most duders here should be mentally preparing themselves for the "desire" to want to jump on VR, but having the sense to wait for the second models from Oculus, Sony. and the other companies. As depressing as this may sound, if you are going to dump $250 into something it should have more viability for use than these first units will have.

NoodleUnit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those built in headphones look cheap as shit. I hope they're removable.

amwbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smart move by Microsoft. Puts an added pressure on Sony to deliver with the Morpheus. I think VR can absolutely become a popular thing in gaming, it all depends on the price.

Not really. This MS isn't actual VR...its just a flat screen in a virtual room. Which is worthless. Morpheus is actual, legit, VR.

Isslander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amwbox: Is that really all they are doing with it? That's... crazy

amwbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isslander: As far as I can tell. Its just a streaming Xbox game running on a flat virtual screen. The xbox doesn't have the hardware to do actual VR. So, we won't be playing any VR Forza anytime soon. Morpheus will be a pretty low end experience, compared to oculus, as it will be using the actual PS4 hardware for VR.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amwbox said:
    @isslander said:

Smart move by Microsoft. Puts an added pressure on Sony to deliver with the Morpheus. I think VR can absolutely become a popular thing in gaming, it all depends on the price.

Not really. This MS isn't actual VR...its just a flat screen in a virtual room. Which is worthless. Morpheus is actual, legit, VR.

I doubt Sony can beat Oculus and Valve at VR, the other two companies have more money and at least one of them (Valve) seems like a much smarter company. I'm probably getting a Rift, I'd rather the illumiroom be my second piece of extra tech than another VR headset. However, I doubt MS is doing their glasses and the illumiroom though, since that would be redundant.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.