Let's Talk About Oddworld

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Vaxadrin

I want to hear your thoughts, fellow Giant Bombers, on the Oddworld series.  What are your favorite games in the series and why?  Do you think the platforming in Much's Oddysee is better or worse than that in Abe's?  Isn't Stranger's Wrath fucking awesome?

Let's hear your thoughts on this series that everyone secretly loves but nobody really ever talks about.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rowr

I never owned or finished one of theses.

Though the first one was pretty popular, and i played a fair bit of it on other peoples computers.

I rented strangers wrath at a late stage, and it was decent enough, though i think i had a few problems with it. If it comes to xbox originals i will buy it.

so im going to say my memories of oddworld tend to be vague at best for some reason.

I vote to make abes oddysee on steam, the new "Lets Play", Though theres no way i can fit it in this week personally.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Otacon

Well I loved the first two. Munch's was great though I preferred the 2D games. I never actually played stranger which is odd as I'm a big fan of the series. I have to say that its a series where I prefer the mythology and symbolism over the gameplay sometimes. A 2D side scrolling Abe game on PSN would be something that I'd be all over.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Vaxadrin

Stranger is my personal favorite.  Not only does it have all the Oddworld wit, charm, & style, but it's also a top-tier FPS as well.  Quite impressive, especially considering they previously only made platformers.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By atejas

Persuading my parents to buy now......

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By weltal

I love Abe's Exodus, which I still have for the PS1. As for Stranger I never played it. I mean, maybe it's a great Oddworld game but I'm not certain I'd enjoy Oddworld as presented though a FPS. I guess I just like the old style more than this diversion from the originals I love.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By danielkempster

I used to own Abe's Exoddus and it was one of the greatest 2D platformers of its generation. I own Munch's Oddysee and Stranger's Wrath, although I've never played the latter. Munch was a solid game, but I didn't feel the freedom of the third dimension suited the traditional gameplay of the series particularly well. What kept me coming back to Oddworld was the brilliant sense of humour the games have, and the way everything feels like part of a cohesive universe (I know it's meant to be, but the fact the developers pull it off so successfully is very impressive).

I know we won't be seeing another Oddworld game since the company moved on to movies, but I'd kill for a new game in the style of Abe's Oddysee/Exoddus. Same gameplay, same sense of humour, but presented in 2.5D (3D characters and environments, but with movement limited to two dimensions, like SSBB). That would be sweet.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I love Oddworld. Its got to be one of my favourite series's ever. I really hope they manage to develop more. There has been the odd rumour about. I hope they come true. My favourite is Abe's Exodus, it expanded on the brilliance of Abe's Odyssey. Munch's Odyssey was a disappointment to me. The gameplay was nothing compared to the original two games, but it still had a great storyline so it was still a great gaming experience.

I've never played stranger's wrath. Unfortunately, I never had an Xbox, and it isn't supported by the 360's backward compatibility. I really want to play it, but unfortunately I cannot. I've been thinking about buying a cheap Xbox to play it. I could probably get an Xbox and the game for about the same price as the game was when it was first released. And then I can sell the xbox when I'm done with it. I dunno. It seems like alot of effort just to play one game. I'll probably do it at some point durnig next years summer gaming drought.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vaxadrin

What makes Stranger's Wrath so good is that you have the option to beat the entire game with very little actual killing.  For all the humanoid enemies, you can stun them and capture them to collect more bounty / ammo than if you straight up killed them.  What this does is creates some really good risk/reward gameplay (in addition to the solid shooting mechanics), and allows for a quasi-pacifist approach to the whole game.  It also very much keeps in line with the not-so-subtle environmentalist hippie message that the games tend to have.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Otacon

Lorne Lanning said that there is another Oddworld game in development. Supposedly along with that Oddworld movie that I've been looking forward to for years.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Vaxadrin

Yeah, it's called Citizen Seige.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Otacon

Oh I thought that was completely seperate from Oddworld and the Oddworld film would follow that.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Vaxadrin

I was under the impression that Citizen Seige is their new movie/game, and that both are in the Oddworld universe.  Perhaps I'm mistaken.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Otacon

Would be cool if that is the case, then there wouldn't be such a wait on our hands.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By godzilla_sushi
http://insider.ign.com/articles/888/888726p1.html

Give that a listen, if you can't watch the video.

Not only is it one of the better podcasts I have ever heard....but it's directly related to this very thread!

I actually emailed them about how great it was, I just enjoyed it so much.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vaxadrin
Godzilla_Sushi said:
"http://insider.ign.com/articles/888/888726p1.html

Give that a listen, if you can't watch the video.

Not only is it one of the better podcasts I have ever heard....but it's directly related to this very thread!

I actually emailed them about how great it was, I just enjoyed it so much."
I just listened to this the other night and....absolutely amazing.  It was really disappointing it ends so abruptly because Lanning is just a fascinating person to listen to.  So much charisma & so much to say.

Somehow it starts with E3 and ends with the FCC covering up reports so they can spoon feed us "news" from the Pentagon.  Wow.
TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

I loooove the Oddworld franchise.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vaxadrin
TheGTAvaccine said:
"I loooove the Oddworld franchise."
Give us some reasons why.  Which is your favorite game in the series?
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rowr
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By Disgaeamad

Abe's Exodus was an incredibly awesome game, it was really fun to play, and it had me laughing hard quite a lot of times.

"What if he gets to the boiler?"
"The boiler?"
"The boiler?"
"What are we going to do?"
"The boiler!"
"WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO?!"
"Yeeaaaah!"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.