Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Oddworld

Franchise »

Explore the perverse and beautiful alien planet of Oddworld, and its series of games starring the unlikeliest of heroes.

The Oddboxx is finally coming out!!!!!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Oddworld Inhabitants have just announced that the Oddboxx, the PC compilation of all 4 main oddworld games (two of which have never been released on PC previously) is coming out this holiday season via Steam. The Oddbox was announced last year, and very little has been heard about it since. Today, a new announcement has confirmed that the Oddboxx will be available this holiday season. The announcement said:

Oddworld Inhabitants is pleased to announce that its critically-acclaimed, award-winning classics, Abe’s Oddysee, Abe’s Exoddus, Munch’s Oddysee and Stranger’s Wrath will be available for PC owners, through Steam in one generous downloadable package, this 2010 Holiday season.

Spanning thirteen years of one-of-a-kind gaming experiences, this package aims to give fans old and new an affordable and convenient way to enjoy these games once again, with a few new additions and enhancements, to be announced in the run-up to its release date.

The games featured in the Oddboxx are as follows:

Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee, 1997 – The first Oddworld Inhabitants release that introduced loveable Mudokon factory-slave Abe to the world. Abe, an exploited factory worker, discovers a dark secret about his missing co-workers and learns that he must overturn his greedy corporate captors, to save his enslaved brothers and himself. This platform puzzle game classic introduced the much-lauded gamespeak innovation and unparalleled CG quality visuals that helped it achieve an 85% metacritic rating.

Oddworld: Abe’s Exoddus, 1998 – The bonus sequel to Abe’s Oddysee that was not part of the Quintology, but gave Oddworld Inhabitants an opportunity to improve on the gameplay of Oddysee, while also adding depth to Abe’s tale within Oddworld. The critics agreed that OI had succeeded in its aims, evident by its 88% metacritic rating.

And released to PC platforms for the FIRST TIME…

Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee, 2001 – The second game in the Oddworld Quintology was also the first Oddworld game in full 3D. Munch is one of last ‘Gabbits’; a race endangered by the activities of the nefarious Vykkers Laboratory. With the help of Abe, hero of the previous Exoddus and Oddysee games, Munch leads the quest save to his kind from extinction, in this mix of adventure, strategy, puzzle and platform gameplay. The game achieved a Metacritic average of 80%.

Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath, 2005 – The fourth game from Oddworld Inhabitants, is also considered by many as one of the best Xbox games of all time. Stranger’s Wrath, tells the tale of a bounty hunter, who while catching criminals for moolah, is attempting to conceal a secret that if revealed, could endanger his life. The first full-on action title in the series, mixing 3 and 1 person combat / shooter gameplay, the game was set in the Wild West of Oddworld, far from the industrial lands that housed Abe and Munch’s tales. The game adapted Oddworld’s unique Gamespeak feature, using it more as a soft hint system to give the game wide player accessibility without ‘dumbing the game down’. The game also debuted a ‘live ammo’ concept where the ammunition was made of living creatures, and had to be caught for the player to use. The game was globally very well-received, achieving a Metacritic of 88%.

More details and partners will be announced in the running up to the Oddboxx’s release. Stay tuned…

Link

As someone who was a HUGE fan of the first two oddworld games, but never owned an original Xbox and thus never got to play the latter two - I'm extremely excited for this. I've wanted to play Munch's Oddysee and Stranger's Wrath for years, and have been unable to do so. Finally I'll be able to play the games!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!! 

Update: 

The Oddboxx is now for sale on steam!!!!
    mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mylifeforAiur

"Hell, it's about time"^^

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By KaosAngel

I'll pick it up for a five bucks during the Holiday Sale.  

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#4  Edited By jaqen_hghar

Sold! 
    I haven't been able to play the last two games, but as soon as the first ones entered the GoG.com store I bought them. Buying those two again in order to get the two I have missed is no problem. Man, I am stoked! Looking more forward to this than anything else this Holiday.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder
    @MattyFTM said:
    As someone who was a HUGE fan of the first two oddworld games, but never owned an original Xbox and thus never got to play the latter two - I'm extremely excited for this. I've wanted to play Munch's Oddysee and Stranger's Wrath for years, and have been unable to do so. Finally I'll be able to play the games!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!! "
    This. Also, ^___^
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake

Bingo! I've always wanted to play Stranger's Wrath so this is a great time to pick it up.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By owl_of_minerva

This post is relevant to my interests. Glad to see a great and unique series being made more widely available.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Skald

I have never played any of these games ever. Is this something I should be interested in?

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Vinchenzo

I love Stranger's Wrath, but never played the others. I can just buy Stranger's Wrath by itself, hopefully, right? :(

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I'm all over this, just hope it's priced reasonably.

ShadowVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By ShadowVirus

I only ever played the first game when I was young and absolutely loved it, will definitely get this!

SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By SlowHands

Munch's Oddysee probably doesn't hold up, and I think I have Abe's Oddysee and Exodus on Steam already.  But whatever, I want more Oddworld, and this is the best we can do this Christmas.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ch13696

I'll definitely be buying those games. I only played a little bit off Munch's Odyssey. 

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By cornbredx

That's totally awesome. I have the original two alrdy (one is the original release for PC and the other is the original PS1 release).

I'll totally get this.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @SlowHands said:
    " Munch's Oddysee probably doesn't hold up "
    I can imagine the gameplay mechanics being somewhat dated, but the main thing I love about Oddworld is the storyline and the weird & wonderful universe. And I'm sure that side of things will hold up fine.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Awesome! I have the first one on PC, but it's so damn old I can't even play it anymore on my current rig.

Add in some online leaderboards or something like that and I'll be ready to go.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Scooper

I'll be picking this up no doubt. I've only played the first 2 but I love them.

"Follow me!"
    "Ok!" *Falls down hole* "NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo...."
    *Shrugs* "Oops"

*fart* "He-he-he".

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By Timing

Well, I already own all 4 and don't like playing 3D games on the PC at all, so I probably won't get this. Still, it's great that more people get to play these awesome games now. And there's also Stranger HD next year!

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#20  Edited By jacksukeru

I downloaded (from PSN) and played through the first of those games a while ago, it still rocks.

Moth_Pope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Moth_Pope

It's coming out Monday 20th December on Steam according to the latest press release on the Oddworld Inhabitants website, and at 50% off as a part of the Christmas sales. :D

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By metal_mills

Just so you know the PS3 updated version will be updated in later on. The CEO said it was "HIGHLY likely" and it was only left out because the PS3 HD version isn't done yet.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Cincaid
    @MattyFTM: 
    Yep, the Oddboxx is now on sale on Steam: Linky!

Tempted to pick it up, it's only 12,49 Euro for 4 games.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @CrazyChris: Yeah, great news. I'll have to wait until Friday to buy it though.
    KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#25  Edited By KillyDarko

Amen to that! Definitely gonna buy :D

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ProfessorEss

I would put Munch's Oddysee up there with the most under-rated and under played games of all time.
    I would also put the franchise and Abe in their respective "best franchise" and "best character" lists of all time as well.
    Oh, I liked Stranger's Wrath as well, just not to the level of the Abe related material.

Anything that leads to anyone playing any of these games is pure, unadulterated awesomeness in my books.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By EVO

Why'd they call it Oddboxx if there's no actual box, I.E. physical release?

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#28  Edited By abdo
    @MattyFTM: Just saw that this was finally out on Steam today as well, and I realized that someone has deleted the Oddbox page here on GB. Is there any reason for that?
    Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#29  Edited By Axersia
    @abdo said:
    " @MattyFTM: Just saw that this was finally out on Steam today as well, and I realized that someone has deleted the Oddbox page here on GB. Is there any reason for that? "
    It's just a glorified Steam bundle. You don't see pages for all those other Steam bundles either (GTA Classics, Complete PopCap Collection, THQ Complete Pack, etc.). The Orange Box, on the other hand, was an actual physical box, so it warrants a page (also, double standards).

Anyway, I'm tempted to pick up Stranger's Wrath (already own the first 2 games, not all that interested in Munch's Odyssey), but I think I'll hold out for the PSN HD update instead.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @abdo: It's a compilation of games that are available separately, so it doesn't need it's own page. It can be documented on the individual pages and the franchise page. 

@Axersia

said: 

@abdo said: 

@MattyFTM: Just saw that this was finally out on Steam today as well, and I realized that someone has deleted the Oddbox page here on GB. Is there any reason for that? "

It's just a glorified Steam bundle. You don't see pages for all those other Steam bundles either (GTA Classics, Complete PopCap Collection, THQ Complete Pack, etc.). The Orange Box, on the other hand, was an actual physical box, so it warrants a page (also, double standards).  "
    Actually, the orange box is a special case - it get's a page because on Xbox 360 and PS3 (and on PC when it first came out) it is the only way those games are available. If the games were available separately on all platforms and were available in that form on the release day of the Orange Box, it wouldn't warrant a page, regardless of whether it came in a box or was a digital release. 

That isn't the case with the Oddboxx. The Oddboxx is a compilation of games that can be purchased separately, and thus no individual page is needed.  
    Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@MattyFTM: Glad you finally have something you can play the games on!
    Fearsome121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#32  Edited By Fearsome121

Urgh the last two games are horribly ported and buggy, especially Stranger's Wrath. Very disappointing after such anticipation,. Here's to hoping they patch it!

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By 02sfraser

I loved the first 2 games and played a wee bit of strangers wrath. I am VERY excited for this!

EDIT: Just checked Steam.... It's not on mac. Might just cry.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By tebbit

Finally! My life dream has been realised.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#35  Edited By abdo
    @MattyFTM: Yeah that makes sense. I guess for some reason I thought they were eventually gonna make an actual box for it, but I think they said it would be download only.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.