Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Oddworld

Franchise »

Explore the perverse and beautiful alien planet of Oddworld, and its series of games starring the unlikeliest of heroes.

The Oddboxx: One of the worst port jobs...ever.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By metal_mills

What the fuck, man? What the FUCK? Years of waiting for the last two Oddworld games to be released on PC. Finally it happens! And it's a putrid pile of dog puke! Not only are people with beast of a PC's struggling to get a playable performance. Some can't even load it at all. On top of that the game has NO widescreen support, no configure options, and...get this. The controls for a PC back in the Doom era was arrow keys and space bar. These days we use WASD and the E key for actions because it's much easier. Guess what setup they use? Arrow keys and space bar. Yep. I...I just can't believe what an awful job they did. What were they THINKING?  Munch's even has the Xbox Dashboard icon on the main menu! And Stranger's Wrath's control setup page was drawn in MS paint. I shit you not. MS Paint!

God. I can brush off a bad port job. I can get over some bugs and issues but this bundle. My god, DO NOT BUY IT UNTIL THEY PATCH IT FULLY! (Which apparently they are doing right now)

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

Well they are direct PSone ports.  >.>

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By cornbredx

I still use arrow keys so that is not bad news for me, sorry
    The other stuff is sad but i know they'll patch it eventually so I'm not really as in a huff as some other people are. I can wait, the first 2 games still work fine and I am replaying those first anyway. They may take awhile so that will hold me over for now.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By metal_mills
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Well they are direct PSone ports.  >.> "
    The first 2 games were on PC too. They are just versions of that. I'm talking about the 2 original Xbox titles.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By FancySoapsMan

what the fuck guy arrow keys what the hell

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Baillie

Munch's Oddysee is the best game ever.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#7  Edited By KillyDarko
    @Metal_Mills: Ouch, that does sound really really bad... I was gonna buy it, but now I'm gonna wait. Definitely. Thanks for the heads up! ;)
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By benjaebe

They're working on a patch right now, so I'll hold judgement until they're done with that. I love the Oddworld series, so it was kind of a bummer that it launched like this.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Jack268
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By metal_mills
    @Jack268 said:

" http://www.oddworld.com/?p=327   I ain't even mad  "

I find " We had these games extensively tested and they both came back clean, so this has come as quite the shock to us. " really hard to believe when virtually the entire game is broken for everyone and even things like basic controls are buggered. "Came back clean" actually meant they could run it at a higher res than the original and at 30fps which is incredibly poor considering a game like this should be able to run at 1080p/60fps with utter ease.
    Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#11  Edited By Lazyaza

Yeah I bought it day 1 of the sale because it was dirt cheap and like many an oddworld fan was eagerly anticipating the release after so many years but wow, I've played some bad ports before but eesh.  
    Oddysee and Exodus are fine since they were fine in their original pc releases but Munch is utterly fucked.  Haven't played Stranger yet but from what I've read I shouldn't bother.  Can not wait for those patch's. 

It's especially depressing considering how much love I have for the studio and how much I respect Lorne Lanning, this release was a massive let down.  

Chippy180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Chippy180

Yeah, they really pushed the bundle out before it was fully finished. That being said, I paid half-price for a half-finished game, which is ensured several patches to bring it up to the "finished" mark, so I'm not too displeased at the moment, especially when they've taken notice of the blatant omissions (Frame-rate in S.R, non-functioning analog stick in M.O etc.) and have promised at least one fix which is already in the works. Until then, I'll stick to Abe's adventure through Rupture farm.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho

I think their tester was one guy and he must have been on a weeklong acid trip or something. Then lied about the game out of embarrassment.  
    Shit's clean, man. Cleaner than me. I love when developers are super coy and want to pretend there's a silent majority out there who's running this imagined "clean" game.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Azteck

I think the Resident Evil 4 port is worse. I mean.. it's a game where you shoot. And you aim with the arrow keys. I mean what the fuck!

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By bacongames

It's been known for the older versions of games to be uploaded to Steam.  That could explain the "shock" hoping that they do have a nice port job done, but somehow screwed up on release.

If this is the port job then shame on them.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @Metal_Mills said:
    " @Jack268 said:

I find " We had these games extensively tested and they both came back clean, so this has come as quite the shock to us. " really hard to believe when virtually the entire game is broken for everyone and even things like basic controls are buggered. "Came back clean" actually meant they could run it at a higher res than the original and at 30fps which is incredibly poor considering a game like this should be able to run at 1080p/60fps with utter ease. "
    It has been known for PC games to undergo relatively extensive testing, and for them to still have major issues when they are released into the wild. PC development is notoriously difficult, because you just don't know what other people's hardware is like, and what software they could be running that could interfere with the game. 

Having said that though, I don't think that's what happened in this case. The whole vague "holiday 2010" release window, only announcing the actual release date days before it hit screams of a rushed testing process to get the game out before Christmas. But I am purely speculating, of course. 
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Driadon

Just played Stranger's and, well, it WORKED. No FPS drops or anything, though not being able to directly give a resolution over "High" or "Ultra" really made it difficult to get anything that looked half decent on my 1440 x 900 monitor.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I'm mostly wondering if they updated the first two oddworld games to work under windows 7 as the requirements just say windows 2000/XP only, and if it's anything like Beyond good and Evil (XP only as well) then I'm worried if it will just be a glitchy mess without having to do some compatability configuration.

Is this the case, or did they indeed update to where those older ports will work just fine (for the most part) under windows 7?

This just seems like something I might want to wait for anyway with all the problems going on which is kind of a bummer.

Skwire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Skwire
    @wolf_blitzer85:  You can try the demo for the first 2. I have a windows 7 as well and it works, so it might work for you as well.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ch13696

I'll patiently wait for a patch. I won't bitch and complain since these people know how to make some great games.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ch13696
    @Jack268 said:
    I just read all the comments. And GOD DAMN!!! I know it has nothing to do with the games, but I think it's time for most of those people to update their computer. Some of the specs show... 

-nVidia 6800 GT 
    -Intel Celeron processor 
    -Intel Pentium 4 
    -nVidia 9500 GT 

If that's what they like to use, that's great, but don't expect to play most games that are on Steam.
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Cincaid
    @CornBREDX said:
    "I still use arrow keys so that is not bad news for me, sorry"

Just curious, but do you use your left hand on arrow keys and right hand on mouse? If so, what more buttons do you have to use items, switch weapons, and everything else in a PC game? I don't mean to come off as rude, I'm just baffled that someone in 2010 is still playing with arrow keys, when I myself haven't done so since I played Duke Nukem 3D.
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By metal_mills
    @ch13696 said:
    " I'll patiently wait for a patch. I won't bitch and complain since these people know how to make some great games. "
    It was made by Just Add Water and a cheap Indian developer. The original developers didn't port it.
    mcpunchface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mcpunchface
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By vidiot

I came very close to purchasing this the other day. Everything I've heard regarding the odd-box's quality has terrified me. There are people on the Steam forums honestly asking for their money back, and from what I can tell the complaints seem pretty darn justified.

Apparently the PC port of Munch still has a bunch of original assets from the Xbox version. 
    Case in point: A steam user named SpAM_CAN went digging ( Give credit where credit's due), and apparently not only are all the menu's in nice TGA format (Not surprising) but there's also unused menu's for the Xbox version. 

Yup! That's an unused multiplayer mode for Munch's Odyssey!  :P

So yeah, stay clear away from this thing for the time being. 
    There's no real stable way of giving yourself a custom resolution, nothing seems optimized, it's apparently unplayable at this point. It makes me wonder how the upcoming PS3 versions are going to handle, so far it's been a big train-wreck.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ryanwho

Seems like the coyness of that press release really grinded some gears and now people are looking for things to shit on even harder.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By superfriend

There was supposed to be a remake of Strangers Wrath for PS3, so I figured the PC version would feature at least some of the enhancements... well judging from these comments and the screenshots on steam, I´m gonna wait for the PS3 version.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bones8677

I'm right handed so I use the arrow keys. >_>

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Tennmuerti

I now believe in a higher power. 

Having never read any of the complaints (until now) I was about to purchase the game pack since I fondly remember the having tried (but not fully played) very first Odd-world games, but something stayed my hand and said "naaah" in my mind. So I skipped the purchase and now am reading this thread.

Divine intervention, brah!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.