Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Odin Sphere

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 22, 2007

A 2D fantasy action RPG which makes use of gorgeous sprite-based artwork. Odin Sphere was developed by Vanillaware and released for the PlayStation 2 by Atlus in 2007.

So Yeah Odin Sphere (Cause of the New Topic board)

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Gunraidan

I remember I barely knew anything before buying the game. When I started playing it I immediately fell in love as my jaw dropped over the gorgeous graphics and art-style. Not long after playing it I realized that it was more then just pretty graphics. See originally I was kind of skidish about the limited of attacks, but then I realized that it was a Street Fighter II of some sorts.  Basically the game revolved around using the limited attacks you have and trying to come up with tactics of your own to defeat enemies in the safest and quickest manner. This especially impressed me during the boss fights. I also loved the alchemy system which wasn't the deepest but I definately wouldn't put it towards useless.

Overall I found this to be an awesome game. While I know many others enjoyed it as well, it seems that the game has suffered what I call the "Twilight Princess Effect". Basically the majority enjoyed it (according to user scores anyway) but those that didn't are VERY vocal about it. Though I can understand the complaints of slowdown and mish-mash inventory others I can sorta agree with but not fully. Yes the game was repetitive, but it's like any other strategic like RPG game in terms of being reptitive (Grandia or Disgaea anyone?). Yes they reused sets and I admit this as the games fault, but it was its way of story telling and it was suppose to resemble a play (which reuse tons of sets). And I could understand that the game was very long but the game was targeted towards the core RPG audience (like all Atlus games this goes a little beyound the welcome time for most).

But these are just my opinions.

So as the first topic of this board, what are your opinions on this game?

RWHC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RWHC

I really loved this game.  I actually thought the slowdowns were helpful in some of the more hectic fights as they really helped me plan out my next move.  I think the best example of this was in Cornelius' epilogue with all of those wizards and green blobs and all sorts of other flying things filling up the screen.  To be honest, I didn't really think about the Twilight Princess Syndrome, as you call it, but now that you point it out, I can see where you're coming from.

Regarding the other complaints, I think the best way to reeeally enjoy this game that I've discovered is to play it in episodes.  I think the fact that they split it up into books allows for the "book per weekend" type of gameplay that will keep the experience fresh.  I especially think that the fact the characters play differently supports my theory that it was designed for episodic sessions, rather than the full-on marathons I've seen people do.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Gunraidan

I did full on marathons and still loved it. Regardless I think a big reason is that this game suffers to what games like Metal Gear Solid or Splinter Cell or Toe Jam and Earl  or Poke'mon suffer from. Basically you have to play the game the right way to really enjoy it and its very possible to play it wrong. With Metal Gear Solid the point of it is to manipulate your enemies to kill them anyway you want, of course you can just try and run through the game killing enemies, but that isn't the point. Splinter Cell is similar to Metal Gear but instead it revolves around the player taking down the enemy in the most stealthiest and risky manner, sure you could just kill all the enemies you see but that isn't the point. Toe Jam and Earl is a game where you just relax and have fun exploring to find items, it's much more of a vacation type game, but if you play the game to solely find the parts then it pales. Poke'mon's point is to catch 'em all, if you play it like a regular JRPG then it will seem bare bones. This is similar to Odin Sphere. If you just simply fight enemies by just taping square and just level grinding then you're missing the point as the point of the game is to take down the enemies as efficently as possible by using your mind.

and333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By and333

Game is very awesome. I hate how the game really slows down but the great 2d art cool story and great gameplay even it out for me. Still haven't finished it and I kinda don't wanna cause I don't want it to end!

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gunraidan

I can't wait for the spiritual sequel to be released on Wii though.

and333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By and333
    Gunraidan said:
    "I can't wait for the spiritual sequel to be released on Wii though.
    "
    whats games that?
    Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gunraidan

Oboro Muramasa Youtoden

caption
    caption
    caption
    caption

It was revealed last year and nothing has been said since. But the publisher said that they'll reveal tons more THIS TGS!
    and333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By and333
    Gunraidan said:
    "Oboro Muramasa Youtoden

caption
    caption
    caption
    caption

It was revealed last year and nothing has been said since. But the publisher said that they'll reveal tons more THIS TGS!
    "
    holy crap it looks beautiful and awesome!
    Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gunraidan

Yep. I can't wait 'til I hear more details on it.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks

I bought a brand new copy of the game earlier today, on the back of Muramasa!, I cannot wait to get stuck in but I am playing some other new games right now :P  From the little I have played it looks awesome, and to think the new Wii game is "graphically  improved" :P

caption
    caption

iGaboru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#11  Edited By iGaboru

I'm also looking forward to have an English PAL copy, cause unfortunately in the Spanish version all the incredible comic style ballons where removed and replaced by normal subtitles... 

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By zitosilva
    iGaboru said:
    "I'm also looking forward to have an English PAL copy, cause unfortunately in the Spanish version all the incredible comic style ballons where removed and replaced by normal subtitles... "
    Really? That's weird, why would they do that?

I think I'm almost finished with it, I'm at Violet's chapter, which I suppose is the last. But since the menu has 7 stars and not 5 I'm not really sure.
    The game sure has its shares of issues, being the worst the frequent frame rate drops, but it's still very very good.
    I'm just disappointed that Oswald was terrible to pla with...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.