Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ōkami

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 18, 2006

Ōkami is an action-adventure game in which the goddess Amaterasu restores life and beauty to a world that has been taken over by malevolent beings through the power of celestial calligraphy techniques.

Have you played Okami? What did you play it on if so, and did you like it?

• 65 results
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I could have made a poll, but I decided not to. Back in 06 when it came out (I think it was in 2006 when I got it), my brother got me the game as a birthday present on PS2. I played a bunch of hours of it, at least from what I remember. That said, I didn't finish it; I don't remember how far I got now that I think about it. I thought I got to The Moon Cave, which I had originally thought was near the end, but now I'm reading it is only halfway through the game, and I am not sure if I even got that far.

Dang... Anyways, I just bought the game on PS4 two days ago and have put almost eight hours into it. I'm really liking it a lot again and I think it still holds up. I am glad to finally be going through it all. I think the story and even characters resonate with me more now though than it did in the past. For the first several hours, and I remember in the past not really caring for the combat, but the more moves you get, the more enjoyable it is.

I love the close resemblance to Zelda's formula, though it's unique in its own way. I was curious how many of you have played it and what you thought about it, and what system (or systems if you bought it more than once) you played it on. The game has been released so many times now that it should be easily accessible. I also ask because I read that the game didn't sell that well, but it'd be pretty cool to see a full-on sequel and what could be done with that. I was just reading that Hideki Kamiya wants to work with Capcom on making a sequel.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the wii version, and I really got into it(stupid waggle controls apart), though I'm pretty sure I never finished, it's pretty freaking long.

But yeah I really enjoyed it, the only reason I haven't gotten the PC version is because there's no ultrawide support unfortunately, might still get it if it's ever heavily discounted.

DemiGodRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it on ps2 when it came out and made it a to the North coast, played it on ps3 and made it to the underwater segment, and bought it on ps4 (physical) where I finally beat it. I think its a great game and I love the look and amount of care that went into everything, like the enemy design paintings. I think Issun sucks though and the back fifth of the game, around the tower with the twin bosses to the end, becomes a bit of a slog and it felt good to finally wrap it all up. I did the double wheel equip though, so I had one as a huge shield and the other as main offensive weapon, with the talent that having both equipped and gold dusted made them extremely powerful. I really did enjoy the game though and it is one of the few out that still felt like gaming had a sense of 'adventure' in its creativity, which faded a bit during the ps3 generation where the realities of business meant a lot of gaming felt really focus tested. That's leveled off a ton now, especially with the rise of indies, but that's a discussion for another time. I would love to see a truly big-budget Okami sequel, I'd even appreciate an up-res port of Okamiden if it came down to it, especially if they kept the price low.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nicksmi56

I played it on the PS3 after one of my college friends raved about it.

I absolutely loved it. The game was gorgeous, the world was vibrant and full of life, the soundtrack was awesome, the characters were a lot of fun (love a game that makes me laugh), the gameplay was great and unique, and the puzzles felt great to solve. The whole game had this great sense of wonder about it, and the atmosphere was palpable. I sat through the whole "feeding the animals" cutscene every time I did it just because of how peaceful it made me feel, and the story is one of the few game stories to make me tear up at its ending. And teaming up with my past self was freaking epic!!

My only real problem with it is its length. Sadly, it's one of those games that manages to feel long. Did we really have to fight Orochi 3 times??

So yeah, this game is an instant classic in my mind and one of my favorite Zelda-esque games I've played (beats Ocarina of Time for me).

Oh, and the old man dance is one of my favorite random gaming moments ever. Think I did that at least 10 times.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onarum: I read earlier that that was a complaint in some reviews (reading that 'it was long for a single player game'), which is a weird complaint considering how long other games can be. It's supposed to be around 35 to 55 hours or so, which isn't really that long. I welcome that actually. It's kind of weird to me, at least right now, that the game actually has a new game plus. I like the game a lot, but I'm not sure it's a game I'll find myself going through again. I don't understand the reason behind a new game plus honestly. I don't know. It's a good thing I suppose.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Ah no, as far as I'm concerned is not a complaint, is just that by extension of it being long, for whatever reason or other things I was doing at the time, I never finished it.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Yeah I also played it back on PS2, beat it, and loved it, dare I say more so than I liked the polygonal Zelda games at the time. I will say one negative thing I distinctly remember about it was that the tutorial was literally 2 hours long with a lot of dialogue you couldn't skip before the game even opened up to any sort of overworld. Only other game that I recall with the intro being similarly long and hand-holdy is Persona 4 so I guess can't complain too much. I really liked the boss fights and was somewhat disappointed that you only fight like 3 or 4 major bosses before having the confrontation with Orochi (followed by the final final boss). At the time I think I wanted there to be a boss corresponding to each of Orochi's heads but now that I think about it the game was so long already up to that point that maybe it's good that they didn't go too crazy with the number of bosses. And as someone who knew very little about Japanese folklore I loved the flavor of the world as well as the styyyyyyle of the presentation. Not sure if I'd play it all over again these days as my backlog is starting to balloon but I still have a lot of fondness for the game.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By BoOzak

I played it on PS3. I had my eye on it for awhile, it eventually became a PS+ game back when that service wasnt a requirement to play online, so I figured i'd give it a shot and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's not as good as the Zelda games for me but it's up there. I dont remember it being as long as people say it is. (which I guess means I was having fun / didnt care)

My only critique is that the brush could be a bit finnicky which sucks since it's a pretty big part of the game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I played a bit of the PS3 version, but could not get past the horrible motion blur. I might play the PC version someday, where motion blur can be modded out.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

@nicksmi56: I certainly don't sit through each cutscene as you feed the animals, but yes the game is very much about bringing peace to the world. I mean, yes Zelda is about saving the princess and defeating the evil from the world, but Okami really feels like you're helping the flora and fauna first hand and it's just a happy/peaceful experience in that respect. It makes me feel good at least when things become more vibrant when you heal everything or feed animals. I also am really liking the characters. Something I love about Zelda is the quirky characters, but I feel like there's just not quite enough of it, and it's kind of making up for it in this.

It's really endearing in some cases and pretty funny. The soundtrack is really good, and though at first, I thought the game didn't use surround well enough with the jump to HD, I was sorely wrong about that when the music dynamically kicked in depending on the time of day and different instruments play in the rear compared to what's in the front. It's really great. That's something I wish more games did: use surround to enhance the music in some way. And (almost) lastly, though I never finished the game, I've always felt it was still perhaps the best non-Zelda Zelda game, at least my favorite anyway.

I guess my only complaint, and it's a very small one, is that the game doesn't run at 60fps. It seems like it's still at 30fps. It's not a big issue, but I wish it was 60fps because why not?

Edit - Never mind, just read that it was nearly impossible to implement 60fps. I kind of assumed that'd be the reason.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak: Oh, you probably just weren't good with the controls/brush. Ha ha, just kidding. I agree it can be finicky sometimes (and only frustratingly so once so far, and recently), but it's not that big of an issue.

@mezmero: I said I was about eight hours in, and I had just recently finished the first dungeon with the spider boss. So, it takes seven and a half hours to get to the first real dungeon, which is quite a long time compared to other games that are similar.

@justin258: Yeah, I went on some other forums once I posted this and saw a thread (with your comments in there too) about the motion blur. It doesn't bother me too much, but it is definitely in there. I thought something was off the first couple of times I jumped off a cliff in the game because there'd be a huge ink blur behind Amaterasu. I think it's actually fitting, but I suppose I can see why it's distracting.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm trying to decide if I want to start playing more Okami or try to go to bed (I don't know if I work today, or if I can just work tomorrow...)

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By odinsmana

I originally played the game on the PS2, but I replayed it when it was remastered on PS3. I absolutely love Okami. It`s my favorite Zelda style game. The visual style and music are both incredible. The gameplay is a lot of fun though the combat is way too easy and I found the characters and story to be really charming and funny and the game actually made me tear up a couple of times. Something I rarely do while reading/watching/playing stuff.

@ntm said:

@onarum: I read earlier that that was a complaint in some reviews (reading that 'it was long for a single player game'), which is a weird complaint considering how long other games can be. It's supposed to be around 35 to 55 hours or so, which isn't really that long.

I think the complaints about length are less about the fact that it`s long and more that it starts to drag a bit near the end. While there are still some great moments there and the ending is amazing the last fifth (or something like that) of the game does start to drag a bit compared to the rest of the game.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By odinsmana

@ntm said:

I also ask because I read that the game didn't sell that well, but it'd be pretty cool to see a full-on sequel and what could be done with that. I was just reading that Hideki Kamiya wants to work with Capcom on making a sequel.

While probably not the full on sequel you want they did make a sequel to Okami. It`s a DS game called Okamiden. While it`s not as great as Okami I do think it`s pretty good and if you like Okami a lot I think it`s worth checking out if you have the opportunity.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Ps2 . Played through it twice , and adored it .

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@odinsmana: I know, it's not something I'd play. Hmm... I'm just wondering if my brother bought it. I'll have to check. I don't know why he would, but he bought a lot of DS games. And I understand about the game dragging a bit. I hate when games do that; I hope I'm still enthusiastic about it as I go through it all. Sometimes, at least for me, that can really tarnish the overall experience and make me look back on a game with not-too-fond of memories.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

• I played it on PS2 when it came out, and completed it...
    • I played it on the PS3 when the HD remake came out, and completed it...
    • I am currently playing it on PC...

Needless to say, I really liked it.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played when it was released on ps2 finished it, 40 or so hours. Played a little bit on Wii. Played through to completion of HD version on ps3. Fucking love Okami. In my top 10 games ever.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I gave it probably 20 hours when it first came out on PS2. I quit because Issun wouldn't shut up. Hated him about a million times more than Navi.

kuku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it on PC 2 or 3 years ago. I really liked it despite not being fan of Zelda games. I don't why this one grabbed me. I think I just liked fighting system in Okami more than really basic ones in Zelda series.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it on Wii and really enjoyed it. I thought the controls were perfect and can’t really imagine drawing with a control stick.

Unfortunately, I never finished the game because I felt it was too long and fake ended too many times. Looking up the ending it seems like I was only an hour or so from beating it though which is kind of annoying. There’s no way I could go back to it now though as it’s been many years since I stopped playing.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved just about everything about Okami. I agree with all the praises that have already been said. I also played it on the Wii where I really enjoyed the motion controls. It felt like writing calligraphy at times.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played it on PS2 and beat it. Playing it on PC now and I'm about 10 hours in.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it on the PS2, then on the Wii, then on the PS3. I'll probably end up picking up the PS4 version someday too.

It's the only game I have ever repurchased that much, because it's just that good. I definitely prefer the playstation controls to the Wii though.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a bit of the ps2 version on PC(ps2 broke) in like 2011 ish. I think i remember it having inverted controls which just stopped me from playing.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
    Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I really wanted to play Okami in 2006 but I didn't have a PS2 at the time so my first experience with the game was the Wii version in 2008 (got the release with the IGN watermark and everything). Didn't finish the game but I loved the way it looked and the Zelda-style structure. However, the Wii version had really bad motion controls I had to suffer through and I wasn't a fan of how talky all the characters were. Never ended up finishing the game, got to the part where you meet Princess Kaguya I think.

Ketta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have tried to get into Okami a few times over the years but I just find the starting hours to be incredibly tedious. I bought the new release and am at the point where I broke down the boulder and as usual just fizzled out. How far after that do I have to make it before I see where the game shines?

I feel like I had this same problem with Darksiders. Yet I somehow got through the openings of Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword without trouble, I suppose just because I'm very invested in the Zelda lore..

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played it on Wii, preferred it over Zelda games at the time. As other people have said though, it's a long game: I quit near the end and never actually went back.

Milijango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I've only played it on the PS2 and it was... fair, I thought. I came away feeling as if it had stretched itself too thin. I don't have a problem with long games, but I remember it being an effort to finish this because there really wasn't that much going on.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I played it on Playstation 2, around 2010 I think, when I first got one. That game talks too much. I have about 10 more hours in it than I should have, because I started it an hour before I went to school and had no opportunity to save during that time, so I just left it on. I also remember it was the first game I played where talking to an NPC again immediately after finishing talking to them would open up new dialogue, so an early quest took a looong time because I kept looking for the answer when the answer was to just talk to the same person again.

It looks really beautiful, though I think the draw-in distance is a bit bonkers. I'd run along, and attack part of the air, and then urns and other objects I could smash would load in after that and have to be smashed. I remember they reused the wolf model/moveset as a miniboss/boss like seven freaking times, presumably because they already did that work on Ammy. The dungeons were all pathetic, devoid of combat, and had very simple puzzles. Meanwhile, the plot had you defeat the ancient evil at the end of the first arc and do like, two more seasons. The last villain looks weird, but there's hardly anything to him, personality wise. The combat is very easy and simple.

So I don't think it's a perfect game, or even a great Zelda-like game. But the graphical style is awesome, the controls are largely good, the setting felt fresh, the actual boss fights are quite cool and the characters get a lot of time to become likeable(especialy Issun, who had me almost in tears during the final battle). I mostly remember the parts that were bad, it's sad, but frustrations just stick clearer in my mind than the fun bits. But I also remember funny parts, like the doofus human hero you help out, Sakuya's butt/peach-cut-out dress, Kaguya who returns to the moon in a rocket and so on. I remember liking it a lot. In the end I cared a lot about the characters and world of Okami, and largely enjoyed playing it, too, though it can be a bit padded and not know when to shut up with the dialogue.

I've been thinking of replaying it. Both it and Shadow of the Colossus were some of the games I liked the most on PS2, and it's nice to see both come to the ps4, though Shadow is getting a lot more work done on it.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I loved the PS2 version and will likely replay this refreshed one at some point.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's my favorite game, got it again on PS4 and I'm going to get into it again (started it already) but I can't really justify spending 30+ on a game I've beaten like 3 times with such a backlog and Other Things I really should be doing anyway.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ketta: I'm not sure what part you're referring to. I think you just have to be interested enough to get past the opening hours I guess. I think this game is better than the first Darksiders though I did finally get through that game last year with the PS4 remaster (I couldn't finish Darksiders 2 despite thinking it was well-designed). I wasn't bothered by it much, but agree that it takes awhile to get going if you just want to do a dungeon or what have you. I don't think tedious is the right word for it, it's just that you're not really getting new movesets or new items that change up how to interact with the world that early on.

@redhotchilimist: The draw distance I noticed is there so you can hit pots again for new items; that part is intentional, but yeah some trees can come back I think. It's definitely noticeable, but not much of an issue to me.

@oursin_360: Yeah, I don't remember if that could have been fixed in the PS2 version, but you can fix it on PS4. Unfortunately, it being inverted is set as default, but all you have to do is go to the options menu and have it invert both the Y and X and it's good. It feels great to play.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played it on the PS2. The HD version allows you to skip the 12 minute intro but ... well, whatever.

JoeDangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the PS3 version. Game is beautiful, plays well, and is fun overall, but I was done after the first "roll credits". I don't know how to phrase this well, but I heard the game had several points you thought the game would end at, where I hit the first one, and just didn't want to go through the other 4ish.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
    deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS2 and PS3. I think it's a great game with lots of cute things. It took me a while to get into it at first as I was not used to console rpg's back then. But once it did get its hooks in me I loved it. The PS3 version was on a sale when I got it and I couldn't resist. I'm pretty sure I played through the whole thing on PS2 but I didn't on PS3. The latest remaster does not do enough to warrant another purchase though.

mcbisquick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played and beat it back on the PS2. Honestly, I had a few significant gripes with it. I thought it dragged out way too long, the combat was pretty mindless, and some of the character voices are really damn irritating. But the game is gorgeous, and there's something about the style and story that just makes the world pleasant in spite of some of those annoyances. Okami is a weird game which I'm really glad I played from a stylistic standpoint, but the gameplay issues I had as well as other nitpicks always turn me off the idea of replaying it.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS2. It was good. Just good.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just got to about the 21-hour mark. Yep, I did get only as far as I thought I had when I played it on PS2, which is to say much less far into the game than I had thought I originally did back when I quit playing it in 06 or so. That said, in the journey there, I don't remember much of it which means I probably didn't do a lot of the side stuff or my memory just isn't that good. I've gotten past The Moon Cave so now I'm where I've never been I think. The game is really great. There isn't really anything I dislike so far. I am really disappointed though that I quit where I did more than ten years ago. I thought I was actually near the end of the game, and it so happens that I'm only about halfway. I told myself in the past that I was fine where I left it, but that's not true.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played the PS2 version, emulated at higher res. It was okay, I remember getting kind of bored towards the end but I pushed through. Good game, kind of overstays its welcome.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing it now for the first time. Missed the original release, bought the PS3 version but never played it, and now I'm on PS4.

And I kind of love it after 5 hours. My 3D Zelda experience is Wind Waker HD, Breath of the Wild, and Darksiders, and I'm enjoying this one just as much as those. The game plays well, the combat has just enough depth, the music's fantastic, the art is still a standout, the humor is fun, and it feels like I've already done a ton of different stuff after only a few hours. I might take a break after that it's-the-end-but-not-even-close section to make room for Monster Hunter, but I have very little to complain about with it so far. Best of all, the mechanic of clearing out corrupted areas is gonna lead me back to Prince of Persioa '08 again.

I was the text in the long dialogue scenes was 100% faster, though!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished the game. It took 47 and a half hours. There's honestly not much I can complain about. It was really great. Hmm. I'm trying to think of something I didn't like. I mean, it wasn't perfect and I wouldn't say it was the most enjoyable game to play, but anything that's worth mentioning is negligible. It is interesting that Okami came out the same year as Twilight Princess; both games were 40 plus hours (which for the time, and perhaps still is pretty long for the type of game), both had wolves, and both were incredibly easy. I didn't die in either of them.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#45  Edited By spiceninja

Played it on PS2 and Wii but didn't actually finish it until the PS3 release. It's an incredible game but it's a little too long for me in terms of replayability.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: I'm at the Moon Cave at 10 hours in. You mentioned it's halfway, but the game took you 47 hours??

I'm just curious how far I have to go. I'm not messing around too much, and while I'm enjoying it a WHOLE lot, I don't wanna burn out. 25 to 30 hours is usually my max before I start to die a little so is there just a ton of side content that brought up your hour count?

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanted to like it, I really did, but never could. Maybe when I get around to trying the PC version I will.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By odinsmana

@csl316: Moon Cave is the end of Act 1 (of 3) and I think the acts are somewhat similar in length, so it's probably closer a third of the way through. There is a decent amount of side stuff, so if you skip that you can probably shorten the play time by a decent amount.

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By tatsuyarr

Played it on Gamecube a long time ago. I liked it at first but got bored after 25 hours and never finished it.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tatsuyarr: Okami wasn't on Gamecube. Ps2, then later the Wii.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.