Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Okamiden

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 15, 2011

This sequel to the critically acclaimed Okami returns players to the land of Nippon as the adorably pint-sized, yet still powerful Chibiterasu on a quest to save the land from certain doom at the hands of demons.

What Sex Do You Think Okamiden's Chibiterasu Is?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Linkyshinks

Here's a pic: 

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By demonbear

Does it matter?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By AgentJ

Its a guy for sure

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By NinjaHunter

Is that the official name for the character? Because that's terrible. 

But I'm gonna say female since it was a female in okami.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Axersia

Well, considering both Shiranui and her reincarnation Amaterasu were female, I'm gonna say Chibiterasu will be female as well.

But the wolf in the pic could go either way, really.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bicycleham

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%8Ckamiden:_Ch%C4%ABsaki_Taiy%C5%8D

It's a he.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#8  Edited By jacksukeru

It's genderless, isn't it? It's only refered to as a "she" in english for convinience. And yeah I think it's the same ammy as in the last game, in a slightly different body.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Xolare said:

"  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%8Ckamiden:_Ch%C4%ABsaki_Taiy%C5%8D  It's a he. "

"It is speculated that Chibiterasu is Amaterasu's son, but Motohide Eshiro, the game's producer, said that this will remain a secret for now. He added that he is a "young form of existence"    

You cannot go on this until there is confirmation from Capcom. I doubt Motohide Eshiro said "he" as it's not quotations, it could simply be the writer using it for convenience. 

Perhaps it is though. I was thinking maybe they're using a the mix of a young girl and male wolf cub for balance, I mean, it would be a little unique to have two female leads. Issun was after all a male balance to Ammy's femininity in Okami.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @NinjaHunter said:
    " Is that the official name for the character? Because that's terrible.  But I'm gonna say female since it was a female in okami. "

How is it terrible, there's very litte difference between this name and Amaterasu. Chibi means small in Japanese, hence why they've called he or she Chibiterasu. 

Back on topic, Shinto gods take on both male and female forms, so this is not another case of Capcom taking liberties with Clover and Kamiya's work again. In fact I would not be surprised in Kamiya was in fact consulted beforehand. 
    NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NinjaHunter
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @NinjaHunter said:
    " Is that the official name for the character? Because that's terrible.  But I'm gonna say female since it was a female in okami. "
     How is it terrible, there's very litte difference between this name and Amaterasu. Chibi means small in Japanese, hence why they've called he or she Chibiterasu.  Back on topic, Shinto gods take on both male and female forms, so this is not another case of Capcom taking liberties with Clover and Kamiya's work again. In fact I would not be surprised in Kamiya was in fact consulted beforehand.  "
    I know what chibi means and that's why I don't like. I just have an image in my head of one of the developers going "GET IT?! CHIBI-terasu? it's like Amaterasu but chibi form. HA! HA!"
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Steve_C

I think Chibiterasu is pretty crap.

A lot of the names and whatnot in Okami were taken from religion, history and old tales etc. like Amaterasu and Issun. It was so focused, having the art style, music, names, and everything. It was tapping into all this stuff to really evoke the sense of old Japan and folklore.

To have a different character to Ammy, but for some reason is a wolf too, and then call it Chibiterasu seems silly, and I feel as though it's not really respecting the prevous game.

As for the question, Amaterasu was female since she was a godess. I really have no idea story-wise what Chibiterasu is, and how it's existence can be justified only a few months after the end of the first game.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Linkyshinks

To have a different character to Ammy, but for some reason is a wolf too, and then call it Chibiterasu seems silly.

You have to remember Buddhists believe in reincarnation, this could be Ammy's son, and Amaterasu incarnated within her son.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By c1337us

I don't know, the picture doesn't lend itself one way or the other. I think I can be patient and wait to find out though.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Technically if its a god, it might be both....

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Steve_C

I understand about reincarnation, but i don't know why that would happen in the first place. Ammy went of with Waka all happy to the celestial plain.The land had been saved. Issun was holding it down and everyone believed in the gods. I can't see Ammy both dying and ressurecting, and demons returning to the land once again within a few months. In the case of reincarnation, I don't understand why her whole name would change, though that could be a little nickname from one of the characters I suppose. Okami was narrated by an old Issun, and by that timeframe all the events of this new game should have happened by then. EDIT: Looking at the ending again, he does say there's more story to tell actually.

Shiranui to Amaterasu was a nice traditional 100-year cycle, and she only returned after she was needed and called upon. Even then it was in proper form, not like a baby version. I wouldn't imagine that a weird young version ever existed. If by some chance Ammy had a son, that would be a different god entirely, with different powers and appearance I imagine.

I guess i'm thinking about it too much, and there's more information to be revealed for sure, but it just doesn't seem right to me thus far. They can come up with some explanation for all this, but I doubt that it'll be satisying.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#17  Edited By Icemael
    @demonbear said:
    " Does it matter? "
    This. Ammy's gender didn't have any efferts on story, gameplay, or even appearance. I don't see why Chibiterasu's gender would matter.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By demonbear

If this matters to you, you need to consult a psychiatrist now.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PureRok
    @demonbear said:
    " If this matters to you, you need to consult a psychiatrist now. "
    Why?
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By demonbear

Just go, the doctor will explain everything and the medication should help.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PureRok
    @demonbear said:
    " Just go, the doctor will explain everything and the medication should help. "
    So, you're just trolling, and don't even have an answer as to why because there isn't one.
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Bigandtasty

Either way: aaaaawwwww.

Avatar image for okami_generations
    Okami_Generations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

everyone who is saying that Chibiterasu is a female! Your wrong! Just because Okami Amaterasu was female does not mean her pup will be the same gender! Chibiterasu is MALE! NOT FEMALE! Youtube the walkthrough for Okamiden and it will say that Chibiterasu is male! DUR!!! >:/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.