Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

One-Handed Gameplay

Concept »

Games that can be played with one hand, typically using only half of a standard controller or only the mouse/keyboard.

1 Handed Games

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I’ve been having some pretty bad wrist problems lately which makes holding a controller or using a mouse with my right hand very painful. As a result I need to give that wrist a good long rest (weeks or even months) to see if that aids in recovery. Can you think of any games (preferably that don’t suck) that I could potentially play with my left hand only? I was thinking Telltale games but some of those quick time events would be difficult.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By liquiddragon

If you haven't, Hitman and Lara Croft Go are my favorites on mobile!

I have wrist issues too so I really limit my k/m games. Controllers, for me, don't seem to cause problems. Anyway, do some wrist exercises and for sure lay off of it for like 2 weeks or more. It's a bit scary when it flares up.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: Good call on those 2 games. I guess this is my excuse to finally give them a try.

Funnily enough, controllers seem to cause me the worst pain, mouse to a lesser extent but that’s still not good.

Anyways, I’m waiting to see the doctor at this point after which I’m sure he’ll send me to PT and they’ll give me some exercises. I don’t want to do just any old wrist exercise though, that could potentially make things worse.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything turn based can be played mouse very easy.

I've spent a solid 50+ hours on rouge-likes (Catalcylsm Dark Days Ahead is good). Or stuff like slay the spire. You could also give a strategy game like Civilization 6 (or your preferred version) a go. Into the Breach can be played that way. Even something with active time pausing such as FTL or various rpgs (The shadowrun series is turned based combat say). X-com 1/2 (get the dlc for 2 for sure) is also a great game that can be totally driven with just the mouse.

Really, it depends on the genre you prefere. Your stuck not being able to play action games or things that require quick reflexes, but there are plenty of games that don't require those.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Brackstone

As someone getting toward the end of a 2 year long period of basically not being able to use my left hand, I can sympathize.

Turn based tactics is probably my favourite genre, so I can recommend lots of those, but I'll stick to ones that stand out in certain areas or are less well known.

The Banner Saga series is a fantastic narrative focused turn based tactics series. The third game even comes out next week, so it's got some current relevance. If you want a good balance of story and gameplay without getting into the really mechanically dense RPGs, this will be your best bet I think.

Into The Breach came out this year and is easily played with one hand. It's a great filler game, play a run, move on to something else. Good if you only have 10 minutes here or there.

If you want an classic-style first persion dungeon crawler with a fun twist, fantastic art and a bumping soundtrack, Paper Sorcerer is a great time.

Invisible Inc. is a great turn based stealth/espionage game, if you're in the mood for some sneaking.

If you want something a bit spooky, Hard West is a turn based tactics game set in a supernatural version of the wild west with demons and stuff. I had a great time with it. Similarly, if there's a game called Gorky 17 available on GoG that feels like a turn based tactics game mixed with a Resident Evil game. It's a little old and archaic, but I had fun with it. The ultimate spooky recommendation is Darkest Dungeon, a Lovecraftian dungeon crawler with Mike Mignola-esque art.

Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy is a game about climbing a mountain with a hammer. You only need a mouse, you don't even need to click or anything, so you might do fine with your left hand even if it feels awkward at first. It'd drive you crazy even if you had your dominant hand for it.

If you're looking for some lighthearted stuff, I'd recommend some adventure games like Botanicula or Chuchel, both from Amanita Design. Puzzle Agent, an early game from Telltale, is also fantastic, but the sequel is a step down. For some light hearted turn based tactics, Pit People is a load of fun, from the fine folks that brought you Castle Crashers.

Finally, I'm gonna back up the recommendation for Hitman Go. It's really good.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By haneybd87

@bladededge: Yeah I guess I’m going to have to learn to mouse southpaw. That will be an adjustment.

Edit: Hoo boy tried some left hand mousing with Into The Breach and clearly my muscular structure in that hand/arm is not at all used to using a mouse because my hand went numb after about 15 minutes. I was being very ergonomic about it and everything, I don’t understand. This will be harder than I expected.

SeriuzBiznus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Depending on what type of stories you find interesting, there may be a wealth of visual novels you'd enjoy. Steins:Gate, VA-11 Hall-A, Dream Daddy etc. There's a ton of variety/options within the genre.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seriuzbiznus: It’s hard to know which ones will work though, some do require some 2-handedness.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Never stop sneaking. It;s played with the lett stick on the Switch. ITS a really weird cool parody/homage to Metal Gear Solid.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Divekick.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Crypt of the Necrodancer

xwillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you have a switch, Mario Cart or Octopath

eddiephlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One Finger Death Punch two button rhythm-ish combat game with styyyyyle. Or basically anything turn based where you can take time between turns.

MobiusFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Puyo Puyo Tetris has a controller setup that only uses half of the controller so you can play it one-handed. That might be hard to play with your non-dominant hand though.

ascagnel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

If you’ve got a Steam Controller, there are some 1-hand layouts for point-and-click adventure games like ROM 2064.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

The PS1 and even up to the PS2 era had several third party one-handed controller made specifically for JRPGs. Most looked like rudimentary Wii nunchucks but a few looked like weird futuristic glove things.

ultron100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Visual novels are the ultimate one-handed games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.