Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

OnLive

Concept »

OnLive was a cloud gaming service offering video game streaming through a user's computer, smartphone, or TV.

Did OnLive Fail?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Hizang

So I heard a ton of stuff about it up until its release, it was really hyped up to be the future of gaming, now I've reliased I have heard NOTHING about it since its been out, so is it dead? 

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Mcfart

It got Homefront dayndate, and getting Brotherhood too. They are apparently hiring people for marketing but let me say this:

It is impossible to stream games over the Internet without Input lag. Onlive ain't for people with good PCS. It's for people with integrated graphics that cannot run games.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Vodun

It's also a pretty good platform for testing out games. Due to the way they distribute their content, they're able to let you play the game for 30 minutes free as a demo. Since demo's seem to be declining in use, I find it a good source for testing unknown entities.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By UnrealDP

I thought about giving it a go, but heard nothing about it which is never good so i guess its dead? 
    mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mrfizzy

Im all for it except for the fact that my internet wouldnt be able to handle it. 

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By keyhunter

The internet we get up north in the work camps wouldn't be able to handle this.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By FesteringNeon

Interesting idea, and I hope they keep pioneering in that area. I just don't know if we're quite there yet. Same with 3D in my opinion. They're both admirable attempts though.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By StaticFalconar

Seeing as how I get lag when all the processing power is right here, I can only assume it gets worst when its offset to a different machine hundreds of miles away. 

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vodun
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " Seeing as how I get lag when all the processing power is right here, I can only assume it gets worst when its offset to a different machine hundreds of miles away.  "
    That's the thing, you don't have to do any processing on your end. All your computer does is display a video stream. The only lag experienced is from the delay of streaming that video, their servers have no problem running the games at top settings. 

It's actually not that bad, but it will never with current tech equal having a good computer yourself.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Meowayne

OnLive have recently acquired a lot of publisher support and are shovelling out updates as we speak. EU launch is this year. Blog is very active, and they are worth millions by now, with new investors coming in regularly.  They were quite big and present at GDC. They have signed deals with HTC and Vizio to incorporate Onlive into different phones and TVs. A week ago, they launched the PC version of AC: Brotherhood.

Maybe do some research before making a thread like this. Onlive is very much alive and is getting bigger every month.

Why don't you try it? The client is freely available for everyone.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Meowayne
    @UnrealDP said:

" I thought about giving it a go, but heard nothing about it which is never good so i guess its dead?  "

1. Go to  http://www.onlive.com/
    2. Sign up
    3. Install client
    4. Try some demos
    5. Profit?
    Gumby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gumby

That controller looks really uncomfortable.  Like it's too wide or something.
    DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DougQuaid

They seem to have a lot of deals/sales to try and promote their service. Recently, if you pre ordered Homefront from them they sent you a free micro console.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Vodun said:
    " @StaticFalconar said:
    " Seeing as how I get lag when all the processing power is right here, I can only assume it gets worst when its offset to a different machine hundreds of miles away.  "
    That's the thing, you don't have to do any processing on your end. All your computer does is display a video stream. The only lag experienced is from the delay of streaming that video, their servers have no problem running the games at top settings.  It's actually not that bad, but it will never with current tech equal having a good computer yourself. "
    you really didn't get what I wrote did you? A gaming machine that runs games at 120 fps offline, still lags when the only thing being exchanged is the other person's clicks. What chance is there when there is an entire video to stream?
    cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By cinemandrew

I tested it out a few months ago, but I still get pretty regular emails from them about new games/promotions. In fact, I got one today. They're still around, they just haven't done a very good job of marketing their product.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vodun
    @StaticFalconar Nah, I think you're a bit confused as to the way this works. Either way, it's not like it's string theory. You can actually try it out, no need to think up uninformed theories.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Vodun: lololololololo, NAH!!!!!!
    FordFairlane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By FordFairlane

This seemed like a better idea when ISP's weren't throttling and capping everyone's data plans.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By penguindust

It might be the wave of the future, but the US internet infrastructure isn't ready for it yet.  Between bandwidth caps, throttling, peek hour lag, and varied speeds across the country the system isn't attuned to its requirements.  Ten years done the road, if they're still around then maybe, but I can't see the limitations being acceptable to the target gamer demographic.  

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By lazyturtle

I think they're doing fine..both in terms of games and marketing. I've been seeing onlive ads in various places recently. They've also had some killer sales recently.

This is the perfect service for me right now. I have an older computer and a good internet connection. I don't have any intention of putting enough $ into a gaming computer to play the newer games (my current computer can't even run Borderlands)..but I can play them with Onlive. As far as lag..99% of the time I don't notice any playing games like Borderlands or Assassin's Creed. About once an hour or so there is a 2-3 second glitch..but its never been a big deal.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Claude

If cloud computing is good enough for Whiskey Media, maybe cloud gaming is good enough for video games. Is it cloud gaming or stream gaming, oh well.

I haven't tried the service, but I've heard some pretty good things about it. Turboman from this site uses it and kind of likes it.

mavrik1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mavrik1984

I signed up for it this past Friday, I bought dark void for 5 dollars on 5 dollar Fridays, preordered red faction armageddon to get a free micro console and a free gamepass for guerrilla, plus signed up for a free month of the playpack bundle and honestly, I am enjoying the service. I experienced a little lag, a couple crashes but honestly those few problems are small things I experience on my computer or my console games. Not really much difference, I can see OnLive having a good future if it keeps putting out good games and get more publishers on board

Avatar image for deactivated-59601bf090f91
    deactivated-59601bf090f91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Despite living in Japan where bandwidth capping is nonexistent, I've been very impressed with the service. Even with an up to date MBP it's still incredibly hard to justify purchasing a new TV w/ an XBOX or a PS3—the latency tradeoff here (up to 125ms) far outweighs the barrier of entry regarding console gaming. Come to Japan, Take My Money™, etc.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Hizang

I haven't seen any in shops

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @PenguinDust said:
    It might be the wave of the future, but the US internet infrastructure isn't ready for it yet.  Between bandwidth caps, throttling, peek hour lag, and varied speeds across the country the system isn't attuned to its requirements.  Ten years done the road, if they're still around then maybe, but I can't see the limitations being acceptable to the target gamer demographic.  
    Yeah....

If my speed can't run it comfortably...like what hope does this service have? Granted maybe my standards are a little higher when it comes to input lag. But it actually got me kinda sick to my stomach when I played around with Batman and Assassin's Creed 2.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NTM

Ever since I got a computer to run the first Crysis, I then knew how dumb it would be to get Onlive. Buying or building new and improved PC's, for me at least, is far more interesting and simply better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.