Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

OnLive

Concept »

OnLive was a cloud gaming service offering video game streaming through a user's computer, smartphone, or TV.

Do You OnLive?

code_monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By code_monkey

If so then add your gamertag below and I will add you. While your at it why not share with everyone what you love and hate the most about the OnLive service or what games you are currently gaming. Have fun and I'll see you around.  

PS: Would you be interested if I posted all there is to know about OnLive? (ie. news, update, release, etc.)

OnLive Gamertag: code000monkey 

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

whats onlive?

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I tried it, but while the interface is really cool, the lag no matter how small just really got to me. That and it looks like I'm playing a youtube video.

Pretty decent option if that's all you got though I guess.

code_monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By code_monkey
    @Ahmad_Metallic: OnLive is a cloud gaming platform which means that all  the games are synchronized, rendered, and stored on remote servers and delivered via the Internet. So think of it as the Netflix of video games. If you are interested you can try it now for free and demo all the games they have on there for free.
    ckeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ckeats

I tried it, and I really liked it, but it used a ton of data, which is not good for low bandwidth caps.

I'll look into it again when I get better internet.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Afroman269

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

I tried it, but while the interface is really cool, the lag no matter how small just really got to me. That and it looks like I'm playing a youtube video.

Pretty decent option if that's all you got though I guess.

Very much this. I can kinda deal with the slight lag but I seriously hate the video quality.

code_monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By code_monkey
    @wolf_blitzer85 @kud12001 @Afroman269: Yeah, I know exactly what you mean but having been using it since alpha stage I can see the technology getting better. Recently the bandwidth requirements were lowered to just 2.5 Mbps compared to its initial requirement which was 20Mbps. So with that said, yeah that hiccups it has can be annoying but it is very impressive what it has accomplished in just a year.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

@code_monkey said:

@wolf_blitzer85: Yeah, I know exactly what you mean but having been using it since alpha stage I can see the technology getting better. Recently the bandwidth requirements were lowered to just 2.5 Mbps compared to its initial requirement which was 20Mbps. So with that said, yeah that hiccups it has can be annoying but it is very impressive what it has accomplished in just a year.

Oh yeah I still think the technology behind it is some cool stuff, and it's neat to hear that they are making some substantial headway. It'll at least (for me) be interesting to see what OnLive turns into five years from now.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By WickedCestus

I tried it back when I had a shitty PC, but now I have a good PC so I don't need it. It's one of those things that seems really cool but practically it's just kinda whatever.

sup909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By sup909

Pretty big user myself. I have been a member for several months now.  gamer tag on there is masupert.

sketch_sanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sketch_sanchez

I just joined onlive and I think it's definitely worth what they ask of you, which is nothing.  It's free to sign up and it's free to try out any game on their service for 30 minutes.  It was hard to say "no" to that.  As  Onlive just needs a bigger library, but what they do have is pretty awesome imo and it seems like they're always improving.  Just make sure your connection is solid.  I love that you they have 5 dollar fridays, that they're always having awesome sales.

Honestly what really helped me to make the full on plunge (after trying it) was the fact that I could get the micro console for free if I preordered something.  A 100 dollar device for the price of a game?  Sold.
    My tag on there is SketchSanchez

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TotalEklypse

I may give it a go, after I move and get better internet :D

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gargantuan

Does it work in Europe is is it USA only?

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DonPixel

@code_monkey said:

@Ahmad_Metallic: OnLive is a cloud gaming platform which means that all the games are synchronized, rendered, and stored on remote servers and delivered via the Internet. So think of it as the Netflix of video games. If you are interested you can try it now for free and demo all the games they have on there for free.

Welcome Onlive PR dude!! I might check your awessome service once we had the infraestructure to make Cloud gaming works (like in 20 years)

Until then I´m not paying to play youtube videos.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By I_smell

I tried it out and I would TOTALLY start buying games on onLive if it was out in Engalnd.

I played DiRT 2 for a while. I don't even know what a graphics card looks like and I can't play Portal with a framerate higher than like 7fps, but this was GREAT! I had to get the game on 360 and yknow what it just doesn't look as good.

The sand n water n everything just looks like panels of bitmaps flyin around :/

I get why PC people are such assholes now, games do totally look a good deal better, and with onLive I don't have to buy a thousand-dollars worth of equipment to get it.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By aurahack

I tried it out today and was pretty amazed at how well it worked. The video quality wasn't dogshit (and ran at 60fps), I had no lag whatsoever (on a wi-fi connection, too) and it's starts, runs and boots a game really quickly. That said, I don't think I'd actually buy full games on there. I can deal with Steam because those files are on my hard drive somewhere but just paying $60 and getting nothing but video in return... ehhhhhh... 

I'd certainly consider renting stuff on there, though. I'd like to be able to play through Metro 2033 at SOME point. 

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Brendan

Just downloaded the free trial after seeing this thread. I got connection errors every 30 seconds or so. My connection status says that I'm at about 4 bars consistently so I think I'm just going to slowly back away from Onlive.

sketch_sanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sketch_sanchez

After a few more days with it, I think I'm realizing why I like it so much and it's the free trials and the ability to rent stuff. Even if the service was average with crappy lag (which it thankfully hasnt, so far. Still get occasional network errors) I'd still use it to try shit out to see if it's worth buying somewhere else. I think they're smart to have that free, and hopefully it'll never change.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deanoxd

i tried it out but for the first time since i started playing games i was getting motion sick from playing on onlive, and i think it was just a weird frame rate, steaming perception but i couldn't get passed it. so i uninstalled it and haven't went back.

memo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By memo

I have the console my wife got it for for christmas. Its cool for fps on the console kinda suck, other than that the other games play pretty good.

Avatar image for deactivated-59601bf090f91
    deactivated-59601bf090f91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to move around a lot for work so I frequent the OnLives — 'Roundlay'.

greyhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By greyhawk

i have been using this service 3 months now, and love it. it is now my primary gaming device. the service has great weekly sales on on aaa tittles. spectating other players is like getting live walkthrus for games. 

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By kingzetta

it's good if you want to play the witcher 1 on a crap computer but it's not good for anything else.

sketch_sanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sketch_sanchez

Because of Onlive I'm finally a keyboard and mouse person. Being a console gamer my whole life, i HATED the idea of kb/m and always thought it was uncomfortable, but now that i've gotten the hang of it, I love it. Dont think i'll be a snob and act like I can't use both though.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Meowayne
    Loved to have it on my netbook, and would long have given them my moneys, until they decided to block my country from their servers. -.- Will definitely go back to using the service when, or if, they ever come back.
    code_monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By code_monkey

Well it is good to see at the comments going on here and able to see what you guys think about OnLive, but just to make it clear, I am NOT part of OnLive's staff and that includes public relations. It is true that I am a game developer and I am dealing with OnLive but when I am on here and posting on the forum I come a fellow gamer and nothing more. With that said a couple extra pointers for those who tried out OnLive:

• OnLive have some epic deals on the marketplace on a by-weekly basis. I'm not just talking about 30% off on a game I'm talking about buy one get one free or a selected title being $5 every Friday.
    • Also as someone already noted, FPS are on the short list within their catalogue but that is being fixed over time.
    • Furthermore, seeing that OnLive is just one years old as a game console its progress is effect by how many gamers are using it. So the more people on there the better the service becomes and the more games end up on there.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By onarum

I definitely would if I could, but as of now i't's impossible for me to use it since I don't live in the US.

I have a 10Mb connection (only 1Mb upload though), but the latency just cuts me right out, can't even launch the app.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By zaglis

@onarum said:

I definitely would if I could, but as of now i't's impossible for me to use it since I don't live in the US. I have a 10Mb connection (only 1Mb upload though), but the latency just cuts me right out, can't even launch the app.

I got the warning too but the app launched...and wow.

I was honestly blown away how good it worked. More amazed since I was like an ocean or two away from their servers. (Northern Europe)

Mouse controls, as expected, were garbage, HOWEVER, playing a game with a controller feels exactly like playing on a console latency wise. The delay between a button press on Onlive is the same exact as with any 360 controller. That blew me away so hard I had to sit back and rebuild my mind. But again, I have no clue if the mouse controls would have sucked less if the latency would have been acceptable

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By SSully

I tried a few demos on it. It seems like a cool service. The trails are great, and the idea of renting games is cool, but I rather just buy the games and play them on my rig since I am capable of running newer games. I could see using it if I had a crappier computer.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By onarum
    @zaglis: for me it just won't let me proceed at all, it's perfectly possible that they simply blocked my entire country off.
    GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GuyIncognito

Haha. Cloud.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I heard the lag made a lot of games unplayable and the selection was less then stellar. 

obinice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By obinice

OnLive will be coming out in the UK on the 22nd of September I beleive, looking forward to that! I'll certainly be giving it a go.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@AhmadMetallic said:

whats onlive?

Couldn't you just take two seconds to Google it?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35  Edited By crusader8463

No.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By zaglis

@onarum said:

@zaglis: for me it just won't let me proceed at all, it's perfectly possible that they simply blocked my entire country off.

Can't be. I wasn't probably supposed to get in either

However, I got in trough gamespot (Try Borderlands). Perhaps thats why onlive let it slide.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By onarum
    @zaglis: nah, it just loads the app and I get the same high latency message with the only option being to exit the app.

I guess that as long as there are no south american servers (Brazilian ones to be more precise) I won't be able to use it, and that doesn't seem that will be happening soon, if it ever happens at all.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@wewantsthering said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

whats onlive?

Couldn't you just take two seconds to Google it?

I could.. so what's your point? Just because I can look it up doesn't mean I can't ask about it. If you don't like answering a question that can be looked up, you don't have to answer it, but there are others who don't mind answering them, such as myself. I actually enjoy sparing people the trouble of googling and reading.

So, what's OnLive?

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By EuanDewar
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@rebgav said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

So, what's OnLive?

It's like watching a low-bitrate Let's Play video, but you're the one playing. Imagine you took a standard PC game and added lashings of controller lag and video compression.

where can i buy that shit!!!

code_monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By code_monkey

@AhmadMetallic: Try the client which is free. If you want the console it's $100 at onlive.com but be smart and get it for free through one of their specials.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By benpicko

I'd enjoy it much, much more if it didn't lag so much in Canada.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43  Edited By Marz

my connection is too shit for it.   always telling me my latency is too high.   So i don't bother playing any games on it.

obinice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By obinice

I look forward to trying it here in the UK soon! I'll be curious to see what the latency and quality is like. I believe there will be a server around the netherlands for us. So not right next door, a good test.

Might post a quick look even, we'll see...

sup909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#45  Edited By sup909

@Gargantuan said:

Does it work in Europe is is it USA only?

@I_smell said:

I tried it out and I would TOTALLY start buying games on onLive if it was out in Engalnd.

I played DiRT 2 for a while. I don't even know what a graphics card looks like and I can't play Portal with a framerate higher than like 7fps, but this was GREAT! I had to get the game on 360 and yknow what it just doesn't look as good.

The sand n water n everything just looks like panels of bitmaps flyin around :/

I get why PC people are such assholes now, games do totally look a good deal better, and with onLive I don't have to buy a thousand-dollars worth of equipment to get it.

Launching in the UK on September 22nd.

http://www.onlive.co.uk/

http://onliveinformer.com/2011/09/20/preparing-for-the-uk-everything-you-need-to-know-about-onlive-cloud-gaming/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.