Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

OnLive

Concept »

OnLive was a cloud gaming service offering video game streaming through a user's computer, smartphone, or TV.

Four games free to play this weekend.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By turboman

Attention to the few OnLive users on Giant Bomb:

The following games are going to be free to rent for three days over the halloween weekend:

• Orcs Must Die
    • Metro 2033
    • F3AR
    • Amnesia

Plus, a fifth game will be named on monday on OnLive's facebook page

OnLive is more awesome than people give credit for.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By gike987

May be me not living in the UK or US (although i live in Sweden which is close to the UK and my internet is 100mbps) but it felt like I was playing a YouTube video with heavy input lag. Uninstalled it after a couple of minutes even if it was free.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Dany

Yes. Onlive is really rad. I have a macbook and I was able to plug in my xbox wired controller and it totally worked. My internet on campus is really fantastic but it never goes over 890 kbps when using onlive. I can get up to 12 mbps when downloading quicklooks and other stuff. The video quality is really nice though but the compression is sometimes noticable but for osme stuff like Dirt 2 or Fear 3, it it noticeably better than what I would get on my xbox 360. Not a noticable lag, you just have to 'adjust; slightly the reaction a bit.

I think I am going to finish fear 3 using the playpass

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By turboman

@Dany: Is F3Ar worth playing? I might try and get in on a co-op game this weekend and play through it.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Venatio

@gike987 said:

May be me not living in the UK or US (although i live in Sweden which is close to the UK and my internet is 100mbps) but it felt like I was playing a YouTube video with heavy input lag. Uninstalled it after a couple of minutes even if it was free.

So you got it to work in Sweden? How?

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Dany said:

The video quality is really nice though but the compression is sometimes noticable.

What? really? it looks like a 720P Youtube video to me which I wouldn't call "really nice". : (

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By benpicko

@gike987 said:

I live in Canada and my internet is 50mpbs and I have like 15ms ping, but it's the same as what you said.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By turboman

@benpicko said:

@gike987 said:

I live in Canada and my internet is 50mpbs and I have like 15ms ping, but it's the same as what you said.

It's definitely location based. Even here in America, I know of people that have a hard time of getting OnLive to look good. I'm in a good area, so the service is great for me. I don't think they have a center in Canada yet, and I know it shouldn't work in Sweden.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Dany

@Cloudenvy said:

@Dany said:

The video quality is really nice though but the compression is sometimes noticable.

What? really? it looks like a 720P Youtube video to me which I wouldn't call "really nice". : (

I'd say the quality of the actual games graphics are really nice but layered through video compression

@TurboMan said:

@Dany: Is F3Ar worth playing? I might try and get in on a co-op game this weekend and play through it.

I like it so far, not scary though. Good shooter

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By gike987
    @Venatio said:

@gike987 said:

So you got it to work in Sweden? How?

I went to their site registered and installed it. They don't have any servers in Sweden but they still let me install it.
    Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Karl_Boss

@TurboMan said:

Not as good as 4orza

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Brunchies

I'm already ahead of you, been playing metro 2033 because I missed out on the THQ sale they had on steam a couple of weeks ago. I have the slowest connection you can possibly have while still having onlive work and while the compression is really noticeable, it doesnt bother me. I love the technology behind it and if the deals keep coming, I'll keep using onlive.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By huntad

I probably need to directly connect to my router, but the mouse lag is super annoying.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By benpicko

Everybody sh

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By benpicko

Wow. Could this mobile site get more annoying? Anyway, everyone should try Gaikai.com. No lag, and great picture quality. MUCH, much, much better than OnLive.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.