Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

OnLive

Concept »

OnLive was a cloud gaming service offering video game streaming through a user's computer, smartphone, or TV.

Onlive gaming system

Avatar image for wrestlingunplugged
    WrestlingUnplugged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

i have been thinking about buying a onlive gaming system but dont know that much about it.....if anyone has a onlive game system what do you think about it

Stimpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Stimpack

With Onlive having been on the decline, selling the company, and Gaikai being picked up by Sony... I can't say it would really be a sound investment. I don't own their console, and I don't know what the specs are. My suggestion, though, is to be wary. Have you tried streaming their service via your pc/tablet/phone yet?

*edit* also, if you plan on getting the console you should prepare to not only pay a premium for the games, but realize that if their company goes under and their services go down.... I believe any access you have to those games will follow. My point is that the relatively low cost of the "console" itself is offset by the price of their games.

ShatterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ShatterShock

You should probably try downloading the client from their website and trying it out before you get the console. I personally found that the muddy image quality and increased lag made the service into a non-starter for me.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By buft

@WrestlingUnplugged said:

i have been thinking about buying a onlive gaming system but dont know that much about it.....if anyone has a onlive game system what do you think about it

I downloaded the client and played a few of the available demos for games that i already owned and played on a year old fairly cheap PC, while lag wasn't an issue most of the time it did have some issues from time to time and dont expect any graphical finesse, the games seem to be played on the lowest settings as far as PC games go, video is 720p and compression artifacting is heavy.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Marz

yeah, try the demos and stuff first.....   but i wouldn't reccomend getting it unless you have very good internet and low latency.

manicraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By manicraider

I remember the closer it came to being released, the less I heard about it. I can't believe it's not defunct now.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Funkydupe

@manicraider: Yep, it sounded really cool to me; the loss of visual quality though I guess didn't sit right with most gamers.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

I have an incredibly fast internet connection with the lowest latency and when i tried it out the input lag was really bad, that and the fact that the company is basically fucked means that you should not go with Onlive.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.