Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

OnLive

Concept »

OnLive was a cloud gaming service offering video game streaming through a user's computer, smartphone, or TV.

OnLive Service and Micro-Console Review (December 2010)

Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Edited By Saieno

OnLive is a completely free games on demand service that allows you to play high-end  titles on low-end PCs and Macs. On December 2nd, OnLive started shipping the OnLive  Micro-Console to give customers with HDTVs a chance to play in their living rooms. 

Service

OnLive was created by Steve Perlman, who also created QuickTime, MSN TV, and MOVA. The service first launched to the public in June 2010, but was met with much skepticism in regards to ownership, the monthly fee, and other requirements at the time. If you tried out the service back in June, odds are you haven't checked in to see how its doing. In the last 6 months OnLive has recieved some major improvements and is definately worth checking out again. The monthly fee has since been dropped, more titles and a back catalog has been added, video clarity and performance has improved, and the micro-console has released. Download it, try it out, you'll be amazed if you stop for a moment and realize its not running on your computer at all. 

Features

The OnLive Micro-Console has support for 1080p video, 5.1 surround sound, stereoscopic 3D, four controllers, and four bluetooth headsets. At the time of this review the micro-console supports 1080p though the games are upscaled from 720p. 1080p gaming should be available by next year, along with voice chat. I was told that the 5.1 surround sound wasn't currently implemented, however when I connected my surround sound headset into the micro-console the surround sound worked perfectly.

OnLive Micro-Console
     OnLive Micro-Console

The Wireless Controller is probably the most impressive part of the hardware, sporting a very comfortable design, hefty balance, smart button layout, and convienent media bar along the bottom. The triggers have a very natural pressure to them, and the shoulder buttons are easy to get to without getting in the way. The D-Pad is very nicely designed, making it perfect for fighting games and exact movements. Overall the Wireless Controller is probably the best controller I've ever owned, and I can't wait until PC support is implemented for it. 

OnLive
     OnLive "Owl" Wireless Controller
      As for the OnLive Service itself, gaming on the service is very much community focused. You have the norms such as friends lists and messaging, but OnLive also has features like the Arena, Brag Clips, and Zero Latency Multiplayer. The Arena is a spectators sport, where you can watch other OnLive members play games in real time. While watching you can Cheer or Jeer them depending on how well they are doing. Brag Clips are another great feature that records the last 10 seconds of the game you are currently playing. You can find some really amazing clips out there, but my only complaint is the 15 clip limit.  

Multiplayer in OnLive is unique compared to other consoles. Unlike other games you play online where you can see players jittering around on the screen, people using hacks and exploits, and other latency related issues, OnLive is completely devoid of these things. OnLive is basically run like a giant LAN network, so when you're spectating someone or playing a multiplayer game with them, there is no latency/lag/pause/jitter. It is instantaneous. What they see is EXACTLY what you see.

Bandwidth

OnLive has a minimum requirement of 1.5Mb/s, though 3Mb/s is reccomended and 5Mb/s is preferred. The problem is when people hear these numbers, majority of the time they assume they don't meet the minimum requirements. You can give OnLive a try on your PC or Mac for free to see how it performs for you. What's great about the micro-console is it takes less bandwidth than your PC or Mac does. Depending on your TV size you'll require a different amount of bandwidth. 52" is 5Mb/s, 42" is 4Mb/s, 32" is 3Mb/s etc. So it's safe to assume that if you have a 22" TV that you'll need 2Mb/s, that's the idea anyway. 

Now what about bandwidth caps. Comcast for example has a 250GB bandwidth cap which would give you approximately 150 to 300 hours of gameplay a month, depending on what you're doing on the service. Some companies have limits as low as 60GB a month, and if this is similar to what you have then OnLive probably won't work out well for you with that ISP.

Lag

When talking about OnLive you have two forms of lag, internet performance and game performance. Internet performance can become an issue if your connection isn't stable and contains jitter, but unfortunately this is out of OnLives hands for the most part. OnLive has partnered with many ISPs to re-route your connection to give you the best experience possible, but if your connection is jittery or your ISP isn't giving you the connection you're paying for, then you might want to give them a call to check the lines.

As far as game performance goes it is pretty much on par with other consoles. Very few games dip below 30 FPS, with majority of them performing at a solid 45 to 60 FPS. The only game I've had performance issues in is Just Cause 2, problem being the controls feel sluggish. I don't think this is a fault of OnLive, when I tried Just Cause 2 on my PC I had a similar issue.

Games

Jumping into a game and playing instantly couldn't be easier or more gratifying. For each game you have the option of playing a trial, renting for a few days, or purchasing the full title. The current game selection is around 35 titles right now, though they hope to have around 50 or 60 games by the end of the year. When the micro-console launched they launched the PlayPack Beta alongside it, giving early adopters of the micro-console access to 14 back-catalog games. Once the PlayPack service launches on January 14th, they expect to have around 40 titles. 

They also have another 100 titles, including Driver: San Francisco, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, FEAR 3, Duke Nukem Forever and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, currently in development for release in 2011, many of which are day-in-date with console releases. Still for a new console launch it has more games than Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 launched with. There are no exclusive titles yet of course, but given time I'm sure we'll see some interesting software come to OnLive.

Video Quality

There are two video streams that OnLive uses while a game is being played. One is the media stream, which is used when spectating someone or when a brag clip is taken. This stream is usually lower in quality, more akin to a YouTube video. The second stream is the gaming stream, which is used when you're actually playing a game. The gaming stream is optimized for playing the game and looks crisp and clear. Of course you may see some compression if you look for it or take a screenshot, but OnLive is made to look great in motion and not in a still frame. 

When I sat an uncomfortbale distance from my screen (about a foot or so) I could see compression, however when I sat back and relaxed to just enjoy the games (about three feet away) I didn't notice any compression at all. When playing on a PC or Mac with a resolution of 1920x1080 OnLive might not look as good, since the image is being scaled up and causes blurring. You're also sitting much closer to a monitor than you would a TV, so compression will be much more noticeable.

Pricing

The OnLive Service is free to use on the PC and Mac, while the Micro-Console costs $99. What do you get with this $99? As shown when I unboxed it, you get the micro-console itself (never has to be upgraded), an extremely high-quality wireless controller, HDMI Cable, Ethernet Cable, and a Promo Code good for any game on the service (e-mailed 24-48 hours after your order ships). With Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 currently priced between $299 and $399, if you're just looking to play games and enjoy them with your friends, $99 is a much smaller pill to swallow.

As far as prices for the games, everything seems fairly priced for what you're getting. New releases are usually $10-$20 below other console release prices, while other games are usually half the price that you'd find in stores. Some games are similarly priced when compared to stores, but these titles on OnLive contain extra addon content that don't come with the retail versions. Then there's the optional PlayPack Back-Catalog which gives you access to 40 games for $10 dollars a month. At what is esstentially 25cents a game this is an awesome deal, and gives gamers tons of great titles for a very small fee.

Pros

Travels with you - If you start a game on your Micro-Console and someone needs the TV, you can continue it on your PC. If your friend wants you to come hang out at their house, bring your Laptop and finish the game there.

Same Experience Across Devices - Whether you play OnLive on PC, Mac, or the Micro-Console, you're getting the same experience. If you have to spend some time at a relatives it doesn't matter if they have an E-Machine, you'll have your games, saves, and friends all there with you.

No Physical Media or Hardware - I personally loathe carrying around boxes of games I don't play anymore, or storing disks in binders. Then if I buy I game I need to make sure my computer meets the requirements. If I have a 360 or PS3, then I need to hope my system doesn't Red Ring or Yellow Light. OnLive puts the focus back on the games instead of the hardware.

Affordable - OnLive allows for all kinds of budgets, from trials and rentals to full playpasses and subscriptions. And for everything you get with the $99 Microconsole, its a steal.

Never Needs Upgrading - OnLive updates their hardware every 6 months, which means I never have to worry about upgrading again. When the next-gen consoles and games come out, OnLive will run them without any additional costs or requirements.

No Downloads or Installs - With OnLive I don't have to wait for downloads or installs, I just choose the game and go. For things like addon packs for games like Borderlands, you simply buy them and jump right back in to enjoy the content.

Instant Play - If you see something that interests you, just click play and you're there. Hopping between games is much like changing channels, and makes short play sessions a breeze. 

Cons

No Physical Copy -  With OnLive everything is digital, so you won't have any physical copies of the game. Usually collectors worry about physical copies, since I'm not a collector it doesn't bother me much.

Dependant on Internet - If the internet goes down, so does your gaming. For many, relying on something so unreliable might not be worth investing in. 

Bandwidth Limitations - If you're on a connection with a bandwidth limitation, then you're going to hit the cap pretty quickly with OnLive.

I know there are more pros than cons in this list, but the cons are much more impacting on the service than the pros are. My apologies for not coming up with more, but I want to base the review on the service as it is currently and not what I think it should be.
    Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Saieno

OnLive is a completely free games on demand service that allows you to play high-end  titles on low-end PCs and Macs. On December 2nd, OnLive started shipping the OnLive  Micro-Console to give customers with HDTVs a chance to play in their living rooms. 

Service

OnLive was created by Steve Perlman, who also created QuickTime, MSN TV, and MOVA. The service first launched to the public in June 2010, but was met with much skepticism in regards to ownership, the monthly fee, and other requirements at the time. If you tried out the service back in June, odds are you haven't checked in to see how its doing. In the last 6 months OnLive has recieved some major improvements and is definately worth checking out again. The monthly fee has since been dropped, more titles and a back catalog has been added, video clarity and performance has improved, and the micro-console has released. Download it, try it out, you'll be amazed if you stop for a moment and realize its not running on your computer at all. 

Features

The OnLive Micro-Console has support for 1080p video, 5.1 surround sound, stereoscopic 3D, four controllers, and four bluetooth headsets. At the time of this review the micro-console supports 1080p though the games are upscaled from 720p. 1080p gaming should be available by next year, along with voice chat. I was told that the 5.1 surround sound wasn't currently implemented, however when I connected my surround sound headset into the micro-console the surround sound worked perfectly.

OnLive Micro-Console
     OnLive Micro-Console

The Wireless Controller is probably the most impressive part of the hardware, sporting a very comfortable design, hefty balance, smart button layout, and convienent media bar along the bottom. The triggers have a very natural pressure to them, and the shoulder buttons are easy to get to without getting in the way. The D-Pad is very nicely designed, making it perfect for fighting games and exact movements. Overall the Wireless Controller is probably the best controller I've ever owned, and I can't wait until PC support is implemented for it. 

OnLive
     OnLive "Owl" Wireless Controller
      As for the OnLive Service itself, gaming on the service is very much community focused. You have the norms such as friends lists and messaging, but OnLive also has features like the Arena, Brag Clips, and Zero Latency Multiplayer. The Arena is a spectators sport, where you can watch other OnLive members play games in real time. While watching you can Cheer or Jeer them depending on how well they are doing. Brag Clips are another great feature that records the last 10 seconds of the game you are currently playing. You can find some really amazing clips out there, but my only complaint is the 15 clip limit.  

Multiplayer in OnLive is unique compared to other consoles. Unlike other games you play online where you can see players jittering around on the screen, people using hacks and exploits, and other latency related issues, OnLive is completely devoid of these things. OnLive is basically run like a giant LAN network, so when you're spectating someone or playing a multiplayer game with them, there is no latency/lag/pause/jitter. It is instantaneous. What they see is EXACTLY what you see.

Bandwidth

OnLive has a minimum requirement of 1.5Mb/s, though 3Mb/s is reccomended and 5Mb/s is preferred. The problem is when people hear these numbers, majority of the time they assume they don't meet the minimum requirements. You can give OnLive a try on your PC or Mac for free to see how it performs for you. What's great about the micro-console is it takes less bandwidth than your PC or Mac does. Depending on your TV size you'll require a different amount of bandwidth. 52" is 5Mb/s, 42" is 4Mb/s, 32" is 3Mb/s etc. So it's safe to assume that if you have a 22" TV that you'll need 2Mb/s, that's the idea anyway. 

Now what about bandwidth caps. Comcast for example has a 250GB bandwidth cap which would give you approximately 150 to 300 hours of gameplay a month, depending on what you're doing on the service. Some companies have limits as low as 60GB a month, and if this is similar to what you have then OnLive probably won't work out well for you with that ISP.

Lag

When talking about OnLive you have two forms of lag, internet performance and game performance. Internet performance can become an issue if your connection isn't stable and contains jitter, but unfortunately this is out of OnLives hands for the most part. OnLive has partnered with many ISPs to re-route your connection to give you the best experience possible, but if your connection is jittery or your ISP isn't giving you the connection you're paying for, then you might want to give them a call to check the lines.

As far as game performance goes it is pretty much on par with other consoles. Very few games dip below 30 FPS, with majority of them performing at a solid 45 to 60 FPS. The only game I've had performance issues in is Just Cause 2, problem being the controls feel sluggish. I don't think this is a fault of OnLive, when I tried Just Cause 2 on my PC I had a similar issue.

Games

Jumping into a game and playing instantly couldn't be easier or more gratifying. For each game you have the option of playing a trial, renting for a few days, or purchasing the full title. The current game selection is around 35 titles right now, though they hope to have around 50 or 60 games by the end of the year. When the micro-console launched they launched the PlayPack Beta alongside it, giving early adopters of the micro-console access to 14 back-catalog games. Once the PlayPack service launches on January 14th, they expect to have around 40 titles. 

They also have another 100 titles, including Driver: San Francisco, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, FEAR 3, Duke Nukem Forever and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, currently in development for release in 2011, many of which are day-in-date with console releases. Still for a new console launch it has more games than Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 launched with. There are no exclusive titles yet of course, but given time I'm sure we'll see some interesting software come to OnLive.

Video Quality

There are two video streams that OnLive uses while a game is being played. One is the media stream, which is used when spectating someone or when a brag clip is taken. This stream is usually lower in quality, more akin to a YouTube video. The second stream is the gaming stream, which is used when you're actually playing a game. The gaming stream is optimized for playing the game and looks crisp and clear. Of course you may see some compression if you look for it or take a screenshot, but OnLive is made to look great in motion and not in a still frame. 

When I sat an uncomfortbale distance from my screen (about a foot or so) I could see compression, however when I sat back and relaxed to just enjoy the games (about three feet away) I didn't notice any compression at all. When playing on a PC or Mac with a resolution of 1920x1080 OnLive might not look as good, since the image is being scaled up and causes blurring. You're also sitting much closer to a monitor than you would a TV, so compression will be much more noticeable.

Pricing

The OnLive Service is free to use on the PC and Mac, while the Micro-Console costs $99. What do you get with this $99? As shown when I unboxed it, you get the micro-console itself (never has to be upgraded), an extremely high-quality wireless controller, HDMI Cable, Ethernet Cable, and a Promo Code good for any game on the service (e-mailed 24-48 hours after your order ships). With Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 currently priced between $299 and $399, if you're just looking to play games and enjoy them with your friends, $99 is a much smaller pill to swallow.

As far as prices for the games, everything seems fairly priced for what you're getting. New releases are usually $10-$20 below other console release prices, while other games are usually half the price that you'd find in stores. Some games are similarly priced when compared to stores, but these titles on OnLive contain extra addon content that don't come with the retail versions. Then there's the optional PlayPack Back-Catalog which gives you access to 40 games for $10 dollars a month. At what is esstentially 25cents a game this is an awesome deal, and gives gamers tons of great titles for a very small fee.

Pros

Travels with you - If you start a game on your Micro-Console and someone needs the TV, you can continue it on your PC. If your friend wants you to come hang out at their house, bring your Laptop and finish the game there.

Same Experience Across Devices - Whether you play OnLive on PC, Mac, or the Micro-Console, you're getting the same experience. If you have to spend some time at a relatives it doesn't matter if they have an E-Machine, you'll have your games, saves, and friends all there with you.

No Physical Media or Hardware - I personally loathe carrying around boxes of games I don't play anymore, or storing disks in binders. Then if I buy I game I need to make sure my computer meets the requirements. If I have a 360 or PS3, then I need to hope my system doesn't Red Ring or Yellow Light. OnLive puts the focus back on the games instead of the hardware.

Affordable - OnLive allows for all kinds of budgets, from trials and rentals to full playpasses and subscriptions. And for everything you get with the $99 Microconsole, its a steal.

Never Needs Upgrading - OnLive updates their hardware every 6 months, which means I never have to worry about upgrading again. When the next-gen consoles and games come out, OnLive will run them without any additional costs or requirements.

No Downloads or Installs - With OnLive I don't have to wait for downloads or installs, I just choose the game and go. For things like addon packs for games like Borderlands, you simply buy them and jump right back in to enjoy the content.

Instant Play - If you see something that interests you, just click play and you're there. Hopping between games is much like changing channels, and makes short play sessions a breeze. 

Cons

No Physical Copy -  With OnLive everything is digital, so you won't have any physical copies of the game. Usually collectors worry about physical copies, since I'm not a collector it doesn't bother me much.

Dependant on Internet - If the internet goes down, so does your gaming. For many, relying on something so unreliable might not be worth investing in. 

Bandwidth Limitations - If you're on a connection with a bandwidth limitation, then you're going to hit the cap pretty quickly with OnLive.

I know there are more pros than cons in this list, but the cons are much more impacting on the service than the pros are. My apologies for not coming up with more, but I want to base the review on the service as it is currently and not what I think it should be.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

The fact that OnLive is dependent on the internet is a turn off for me. During extreme weather conditions, my internet sometimes goes out for hours, possibly days depending on the severity. With my current consoles, I can play a singleplayer campaign without worrying about being disconnected. 

I currently rent most of my games and the fact that I already own 2 consoles doesn't really make OnLive's low price a factor. I also rent most of my games and haven't had any major issues with my current service. 

Edit: BTW, good blog.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By scarace360

ok you got me ill try it.

Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Saieno
    @Axxol said:

" The fact that OnLive is dependent on the internet is a turn off for me. During extreme weather conditions, my internet sometimes goes out for hours, possibly days depending on the severity. With my current consoles, I can play a singleplayer campaign without worrying about being disconnected.  I currently rent most of my games and the fact that I already own 2 consoles doesn't really make OnLive's low price a factor. I also rent most of my games and haven't had any major issues with my current service.  Edit: BTW, good blog. "

Thanks very much! Yeah, internet is a crutch for OnLive. However as internet gets faster and cheaper, OnLive should basically get better and better. I think thats why the PlayPack subscription is really important, because you get 40 titles to play whenever you want and there's no long-term commitment. 
    W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
    @Saieno: Gaikai actually works at my house and Onlive doesn't. I think Gaikai wins.
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By apathylad

OnLive is okay for me. Ideally, I would rather own the actual game, though. The library is pretty poor, and I occasionally get connection errors, but it's neat when it works. 

Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Saieno
    @W0lfbl1tzers said:
    " @Saieno: Gaikai actually works at my house and Onlive doesn't. I think Gaikai wins. "
    That's pretty crazy. I know someone 15 miles away from a Gaikai server and it wouldn't work for him at all, I tried as well (OnLive and Gaikai both have servers in Dallas) and I couldn't connect to Gaikai either. Only thing I kept getting was a message like this.
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By gamb1t

" The OnLive Micro-Console has support for 1080p video, 5.1 surround sound, stereoscopic 3D, four controllers, and four bluetooth headsets. At the time of this review the micro-console supports 1080p though the games are upscaled from 720p. 1080p gaming should be available by next year, along with voice chat. I was told that the 5.1 surround sound wasn't currently implemented, however when I connected my surround sound headset into the micro-console the surround sound worked perfectly. "

After reading that i dont see why anyone would take this thing seriously.

Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Saieno
    @gamb1t said:
    " After reading that i dont see why anyone would take this thing seriously. "
    Er...why is that? Not sure I follow what you're getting at.
    W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
    @Saieno said:
    " @W0lfbl1tzers said:
    " @Saieno: Gaikai actually works at my house and Onlive doesn't. I think Gaikai wins. "
    That's pretty crazy. I know someone 15 miles away from a Gaikai server and it wouldn't work for him at all, I tried as well (OnLive and Gaikai both have servers in Dallas) and I couldn't connect to Gaikai either. Only thing I kept getting was a message like this. "
    I'm pretty sure I am not anywhere near a server and I have terrible internet. I live in the desert in California. It's about an hour away from anywhere reasonable and it worked. I was shocked. It didn't run at a great resolution but it worked.
    Hypertreb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By Hypertreb

The fact that there's no original games for it makes me not want to buy it, but it does have potential.
    omghisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By omghisam

If nothing else the Arena feature is nifty. Sometimes I drop in and spectate someone's game when I want background activity going on when I'm doing chores or homework. Good job on the review!

BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By BlaineBlaine

I'd be lying if I said I was all that interested in the service. It's pretty much consoles for me and while I don't often sell games, there are times where I made a horrible mistake (Alan Wake) and it's nice to be able to walk away from the purchase.

All of that said, the technology is very interesting. Frankly for $99 it sounds like it'd make a pretty solid media center to be able to decode 1080p video. If a hacking community gets behind it, I might just jump ship from WDTV.

Avatar image for depressing_wizard
    Depressing_Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My PC is nowhere near powerful enough to play modern games. I'd buy this, but it seems like most of its games are also on console; which is much more reliable. I doubt the games on the PC I'm interested in are on OnLive. Is there a list of OnLive games? 

Also, does the Micro Console support mouse and keyboard? Will it? I'd play on my PC, but I only have a netbook. Great review.

Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Saieno
    @Depressing_Wizard said:
    " My PC is nowhere near powerful enough to play modern games. I'd buy this, but it seems like most of its games are also on console; which is much more reliable. I doubt the games on the PC I'm interested in are on OnLive. Is there a list of OnLive games?  Also, does the Micro Console support mouse and keyboard? Will it? I'd play on my PC, but I only have a netbook. Great review. "
    A full list of current games available on OnLive is located here. And the Micro-Console does support Keyboard and Mouse. And thanks for the comment =)
    Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

Great review dude! I wish there were a way to rent the micro-console, because I would love to try it out before I buy it. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a wired ethernet connection were my TV is, seeing as the modem is in my roommates bedroom.

Depressing_Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Saieno: Thanks!
    Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nekroskop

Congratulations on your new job as an On Live viral marketer, OP!

Depressing_Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ahaisthisourchance said:

" Congratulations on your new job as an On Live viral marketer, OP! "

You're right, in order to enjoy a product, you have to work at whichever company makes the product. But don't take my word for it; I'm the Assistant Regional Manager at OnLive's Vancouver branch.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#20  Edited By wefwefasdf
    Oh no. Not this again... 

Enjoyed the review, Saieno. It looks like OnLive is finally turning into the product I hoped it would be at launch. :)
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Diamond
    @Depressing_Wizard said:

You're right, in order to enjoy a product, you have to work at whichever company makes the product.
    It's the only thing the guy posts about on this forum...  and every forum... and on Youtube.  And he ALWAYS defends OnLive.  Everywhere.

If the dude wants to earn his paycheck and the GB mods will allow it, that's his right.  But let's not be stupid about this.  He'd be a lot less obvious if he made the occasional thread about a cool Xbox 360 or Wii game he just played...
    Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Saieno
    Reviews equal viral marketing now? Shit, I better go warn the reviewers at MaximumPC, Mac-Life, IGN, Joystiq, Destructoid, CNet, Slate, and all the other sites that did reviews.
    Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Nekroskop
    @Saieno said:
    " @ahaisthisourchance said:
    Reviews equal viral marketing now? Shit, I better go warn the reviewers at MaximumPC, Mac-Life, IGN, Joystiq, Destructoid, CNet, Slate, and all the other sites that did reviews. "
    Oh, so you have multiple viral-marketingjobs now? I have you now...
    Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Saieno

Oh, so you have multiple viral-marketingjobs now? I have you now... "

...what? o.O 

Look I aspire to write reviews, articles, and make video reviews for games and technology. It's what I like doing, and hopefully I'll get hired to write for a website one day. Just please enjoy the review, or don't.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iam3green

it sounds like it's a nice buy man. i don't know if i will buy it.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    @Saieno: How have sales been for OnLive so far? Also, how is the community? Are there plenty of people using the service?
    Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Saieno
    @SathingtonWaltz said:
    " @Saieno: How have sales been for OnLive so far? Also, how is the community? Are there plenty of people using the service? "
    I'm not sure to be honest. I do know that they sold-out of Micro-Consoles, supposedly they are getting more next week but a lot of my friends have to wait for theirs until then. The community is very friendly, they usually hang around OnLiveFans.com. As far as the number of people on the service, based on a recent article (I forget which one, my apologizes) it's somewhere around 350,000 concurrent users. 
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#28  Edited By the8bitNacho

OnLive is picking up a surprising amount of buzz with the Micro-Console release, which I suppose shouldn't have been such a surprise, but hey. What little I've used of the service seems especially great for Mac users who can't really plot a whole lot of the PC games out there. Since the games don't actually run on your hardware or OS, and are instead streamed, it's an excellent solution for that kind of thing.  

That said, I'm not sold. I'll blame that in huge part to my dedicated case-collecting. I'm just not willing to go all-digital yet. I probably never will be, which sucks because I know it's coming.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#29  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @Diamond said:
    " @Depressing_Wizard said:

You're right, in order to enjoy a product, you have to work at whichever company makes the product.
    It's the only thing the guy posts about on this forum...  and every forum... and on Youtube.  And he ALWAYS defends OnLive.  Everywhere.  If the dude wants to earn his paycheck and the GB mods will allow it, that's his right.  But let's not be stupid about this.  He'd be a lot less obvious if he made the occasional thread about a cool Xbox 360 or Wii game he just played... "
    Everything has to be a motherfucking conspiracy theory, fanboy propaganda, or whatever else causes nerd rage when it comes to these boards, eh?
    Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Saieno
    @Kombat said:

That said, I'm not sold. I'll blame that in huge part to my dedicated case-collecting. I'm just not willing to go all-digital yet. I probably never will be, which sucks because I know it's coming. "

I know what ya mean Kombat. I used to be a collector as well until I lost everything from the Atari 2600 to the PS2 after Hurricane Katrina. Was only able to save my PC, Xbox 360, GameCube, and Dreamcast. After something like that you just don't want to collect things anymore. 

@Diamond said: 

He'd be a lot less obvious if he made the occasional thread about a cool Xbox 360 or Wii game he just played... "

And that would be the problem. First I don't have a 360 anymore, as I was tired of dealing with it after the fourth red ring. I used to have a Wii, but the thing was collecting dust so I got rid of it especially since the Dolphin emulator plays Wii games in 720p. And my PS3s I sold and gave away because I wasn't playing them either. I'm more of an MMO gamer. I play on OnLive because thats the console I have, and I'm sorry if thats hard to understand. Like I asked the moderator, if I discuss a multi-platform game and mention I bought it on OnLive am I adding to the discussion or shilling?    
    face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By face15

When's this OnLive business coming to Australia?

Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Saieno
    @face15 said:
    " When's this OnLive business coming to Australia? "
    I have no idea. I think they are focusing on UK at the moment.
    Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Meltac

Ok ok, you convinced me to give it a try. 

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Cameron

I gave it a try last night. I played some Dirt 2 and there is noticeable input lag. It's not terrible, it's just not as good as playing on a local machine. It wouldn't be a problem in a slower game, but I can't imagine it would work well for shooters and other fast paced games, as it was certainly noticeable in Dirt 2.

Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Saieno
    @Cameron said:
    " I gave it a try last night. I played some Dirt 2 and there is noticeable input lag. It's not terrible, it's just not as good as playing on a local machine. It wouldn't be a problem in a slower game, but I can't imagine it would work well for shooters and other fast paced games, as it was certainly noticeable in Dirt 2. "
    There is some input lag that you adjust to, but once I got the Micro-Console my timing for Dirt 2 was all off. Apparently the controller on the micro-console has lower latency than an Xbox 360 controller on PC client, I think they said the wireless controller is measured in mirco-seconds instead of milliseconds. Dirt and the Colin McRae Rally Series are probably some of my favorite games, and every time I play I always get a bunch of spectators haha. I just wish they would make Dirt 2 available for purchase, because I think how they handle resources differs between buying and trying a game. Basically a bunch of my friends and I were playing the UT3 demo for a couple days before we all just decided to buy it. When we did, we noticed a very obvious jump in clarity, smoothness, and overall performance. I didn't include it in the review because I can't really confirm it, but when you and six other friends all experience the same difference its not a bad assumption.
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    @Saieno:
    Thats interesting, are you saying that the free trials generally run worse than when you actually own the game?
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jack268

The pricing is my biggest complaint. Console games usually cost 600 SEK, PC games usually around 400-500 and when I looked through the catalogue last week pretty much everything worthwhile on Onlive was 500 or higher. If I'm going to pay a higher price for a game, I want to be able to enjoy every aspect of it, which includes cranking up the graphics and pimping the game out with mods, so I'm staying away from OnLive for the time being.  

I read somewhere that it can give you pretty good quality graphics with low end rigs as long as you have an internet connection to support it, is this right? Because that'd be kinda nice if you had a bad PC.  

But 99 for a PC running games at 720p is pretty good, and the lag-free multiplayer is a pretty good selling point. But what happens if this service doesn't catch on and they go out of business? Do people who have spent their money to "own" their games just lose them?  

I still prefer Steam, because it's not going away within a foreseeable future, and having the games on my own PC makes it feel more as if they are mine. 

I can see OnLive becoming a thing in the future as more people get high-speed internet though.

Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Saieno
    @SathingtonWaltz said:
    " @Saieno: Thats interesting, are you saying that the free trials generally run worse than when you actually own the game? "
    That's what I've noticed. Usually free trials are a bit more choppy and blurry, with input lag more apparent as well. When you buy a play pass, be it a rental or a full, I and my friends at least noticed a difference in how it looked and performed. Its a slight difference, like you can see its clearer and feel that its quicker, smoother, and your input is more exact.  

@Jack268 said:
    "But what happens if this service doesn't catch on and they go out of business? Do people who have spent their money to "own" their games just lose them?"
    That's a very valid worry, and I honestly can't answer it. If its something you're worried about, then I would just play demos and rent until you feel the service gets to a point where you're comfortable with it. From June to the end of October they had 2,000,000 logins, which averages to about 14,000 concurrent users. With such meager numbers they were able to drop the proposed monthly fee, give away free games and micro-consoles to founding members, and launch the PlayPack service as well. From the announcement of the Micro-Console on November 17th to December 1st, there were 5,000,000 logins, which equates to a little more than 350,000 concurrent users. OnLive sold out of initial Micro-Consoles, and many have to wait until next weak for more to be shipped. 

Needless to say, I'm not really worried.
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    @Saieno: Yeah, I hope that OnLive continues being successful and pushes the industry forward. I feel like I am rooting for the underdog, since practically everyone on this site assumed it would be a miserable failure. Hell, I'm still hesitant to throw down and go for the micro-console.
    Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Saieno
    @SathingtonWaltz said:
    " @Saieno: Yeah, I hope that OnLive continues being successful and pushes the industry forward. I feel like I am rooting for the underdog, since practically everyone on this site assumed it would be a miserable failure. Hell, I'm still hesitant to throw down and go for the micro-console. "
    I was playing some Unreal Tournament 3 today and thought I would do a latency test of sorts. I have my hand and the game being recorded at the same time, then I spectate two of my friends that are playing Unreal Tournament 3 as well. You can really see how low the latency is and it also demonstrates the zero latency multiplayer. 

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By Animasta
    @Diamond said:
    " @Depressing_Wizard said:

It's the only thing the guy posts about on this forum...  and every forum... and on Youtube.  And he ALWAYS defends OnLive.  Everywhere.  If the dude wants to earn his paycheck and the GB mods will allow it, that's his right.  But let's not be stupid about this.  He'd be a lot less obvious if he made the occasional thread about a cool Xbox 360 or Wii game he just played... "
    I remember a previous topic where he gushed about the online service.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By Afroman269

Was curious, tried it, thought it was ok, but this will never turn me away from my consoles and PC. That's cool if your gaming is dedicated completely to OnLive. Also not surprised at the people calling you a shill, because that's the vibe I get from most of your blogs. Oh well, who cares? Power to you.

Saieno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Saieno
    @Afroman269 said:

" Also not surprised at the people calling you a shill, because that's the vibe I get from most of your blogs. Oh well, who cares? Power to you. "

I write about OnLive a lot because its what I'm into and its not really given a lot of attention in the media, maybe because people have no interest. I could write a blog post about the new Tomb Raider stuff, but majority of it is already covered and it'd be pretty pointless to expect people to read it. I just try to post things people might not know about, though I could just post my opinion about things though again I don't think people would be interested in reading it. I really like doing videos and such, but I'll figure out something to diversify my blog and posts.
    memo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By memo

Awesome review. Very informative and i think cover everything on it very well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.