Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

OnLive

Concept »

OnLive was a cloud gaming service offering video game streaming through a user's computer, smartphone, or TV.

Onlive works in Canada now! (also LAG!!!) Also free accounts

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Mcfart

So my inter webs is 7.5mbits, and today It tried onlive. In AC2 the lag wasn't super noticeable, but with Dirt 2, Borderlands, and UT3, the imput lag was ginormous. Also, compressed textures=ew.

Keyboard has a delay to imput, which isn't so bad, but MAN! Mouse control is simply aweful. I can't do anything with it, it's so laggy.

How is your experience Americans (Also, make a free account and try onlive out)

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deanoxd

i tried out some Borderlands a while back using onlive and i don't know if it was lag or weird monitor sync issue but it was the first time i ever felt motion sick playing a game.  So i played for 10 mins and knew it was not going to work for me. 

BTW my connection is 15 Mbps

limewizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By limewizard

I've just tried it over here in the UK, and it works weirdly well. There is input lag here and there, but after switching to a Wired connection, most of my issues were resolved.  

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By canucks23

Meh, the majority of Canadians are still held back from doing things like this because of our stupid bandwith caps.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By nintendoeats
    @canucks23 said:
    " Meh, the majority of Canadians are still held back from doing things like this because of our stupid bandwith caps. "
    Indeed, I have the client only because I didn't bother to uninstall after it told me that my connection sucks. Which I already knew.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @canucks23 said:
    " Meh, the majority of Canadians are still held back from doing things like this because of our stupid bandwith caps. "
    Amen brother. 

Playing SSF4 online is impossible.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Geno

Erm, could you point me to a press release that said this is officially supported in Canada? I have trouble finding one, plus it keeps giving me a poor network quality error even at 25Mbps. 

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Driadon
    @Geno:  I don't think there's been an official statement. I do know, however, that Canadian IPs can connect to the service ever since they went free. 
    I didn't have so much input lag, as I did graphical lag. Sam Fisher could react as fast a he wanted, I sure as hell didn't see what shot me until a good half second later.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Geno
    @Driadon: My problem with it at the moment is that it stutters and artifacts a lot, then it cites a "network problem" and disconnects me. I'm using 25Mpbs downstream at the moment so I don't know what the problem is. 
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pinworm45

Cool, ima give it a try.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Driadon
    @Geno said:
    " @Driadon: My problem with it at the moment is that it stutters and artifacts a lot, then it cites a "network problem" and disconnects me. I'm using 25Mpbs downstream at the moment so I don't know what the problem is.  "
    Where are you located? It could simply be a distance issue.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pinworm45

Alright, so I tried darksiders. It looked like total ass.  

There's definitely delay as well. Even in the menus. Moving the mouse between options, there's definitely delay. 

Basically it's about as shitty as I expected. But I understand it's new here and they may need time to fix things up, or open servers in Canada, deal with overload, etc. 

5mbps DSL connection in Ottawa. 

Edit/Disclaimer: I Noticed after I tried it I had a call to someone on skype I forgot about. That likely had an effect, I'll try it again later.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By benpicko

I know this is a major bump, but I have 50Mbps download, 3Mbps upload, 19ms ping and it STILL lags like crazy. They should set up a server in Vancouver or something.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.