Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Open World

Concept »

Non-linear level design where the player is able to freely traverse the game world and choose where and when to visit certain areas in the game.

Does it bug you if open world games don't have a day/night cycle?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BisonHero

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BisonHero

It seems like such a standard thing to have in any sort of open world game, especially this generation, yet I've noticed some sorta B-tier games that don't bother, and it seems weird. I'm sure it takes a bit more effort to make sure you've implemented some decent lighting effects so that shadows look right and whatever, but it's still always jarring when I realize a big explorable world I'm in just has this magical sun that never sets. Examples:

• Driver: San Francisco. Big explorable city, yet it is always day, even though the plot of the game must take place over the course of several days, if not weeks. The story is incredibly vague about the passage of time.
    • The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. 3D Zelda games, starting with Ocarina of Time, have had day/night cycles. But not the DS ones! I know the DS has to work hard to display games with 3D graphics, but really? The sun never sets on this giant expanse of sea?
    • Shit, I had other examples, but now that I'm home, I have forgotten them
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Who's gonna say that Zelda's open world? It has a degree of non-linearity, sure, but I'm not sure it entirely counts as open world. Or maybe I'm confusing it with sandbox just a tad.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JasonR86

@BisonHero:

It didn't until you mentioned it and made me think about it. Jerk.

fiberpay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By fiberpay

With games like Zelda, who says there has to be a night time? It could be a fictional place with a day night cycle like Alaska's.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

I don't know. Sometimes I forget about day/night cycles in games. Like when I was playing Far Cry 3 at one point I remember thinking "does it turn to night in this game?" I'm not sure about it now, does it turn night in Far Cry 3? I think it does.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By pr1mus

If there's no night time i'm not interested.

I remember when i used to play WoW and for months i never saw anything other than night time. A whole new world appeared before my eyes when i changed job and saw day time.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BisonHero

@Video_Game_King said:

Who's gonna say that Zelda's open world? It has a degree of non-linearity, sure, but I'm not sure it entirely counts as open world. Or maybe I'm confusing it with sandbox just a tad.

Yeah, Zelda definitely isn't a sandbox and does occasionally gate your access to some areas, but I'd consider it open world. Open worldness exists as a spectrum, without any clear demarcation points. Zelda isn't at the extreme end of the spectrum like Far Cry 3 or Skyrim or something, but it's certainly much more of an open world game than Fire Emblem or Uncharted or New Super Mario Bros. or Gears of War.

But yeah, the very first one is probably the only one that is like 100% an open world game.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BisonHero

@JasonR86 said:

@BisonHero:

I think open world racing games are more likely to skimp on having a day/night cycle, because I guess it's hard to do headlights AND keep your framerate up. Or something.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10  Edited By JasonR86

@BisonHero said:

@JasonR86 said:

@BisonHero:

I think open world racing games are more likely to skimp on having a day/night cycle, because I guess it's hard to do headlights AND keep your framerate up. Or something.

Maybe. I don't know though. I've only played two open-world racing games, Forza Horizon and Burnout Paradise, and Forza had a day/night cycle and Burnout patched one in.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By DarthOrange

I like how inFamous 2 changed the weather based on where you were in the main story so you could play some side missions in the day or at night. To not include one at all in this day and age when Jak and Daxter was able to do it over ten years ago is a damn shame.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By haffy

Doesn't bother me in Dark Souls. Some night areas and some day areas work fine.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Vextroid

Kinda bummed me out when I noticed Saints Row 3 had no day/night cycle, so you didn't get the feeling of you doing crazy destruction from dusk till dawn like in SR2.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Playing Ocarina of Time right now and it's really bugging me how quick day and night change, by the time i'd get out of Kokiri Forest to reach Hyrule it would be night time with the gate up and I'd have to wait, thank god you get the sun song shortly after arriving at Kakariko Village.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By dr_mantas

No, it doesn't. Unless there's really a good reason for it, and it looks visually interesting.

But if there's any time requirements for missions, and it becomes a game of waiting, it's pretty bad.

If it's just a visual bonus and maybe a way to change up the environment, and some enemies/the amount traffic/pedestrians, then it's fine.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#16  Edited By Danteveli

Not really. I don't really care about night/day cycle unless it adds to the experience.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Animasta

Nier doesn't have one but it's explained why in the fiction

not really an open world game but ya know

so I guess if it's explained?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Efesell

It probably should, but the truth of the matter is that I really hate navigating in the dark so I'm not terribly disappointed if it just stays daytime.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By williamhenry

@Vextroid said:

Kinda bummed me out when I noticed Saints Row 3 had no day/night cycle, so you didn't get the feeling of you doing crazy destruction from dusk till dawn like in SR2.

Haven't played SR3 in a while, but theres really no day/night cycle? Do the missions control the time of day? I remember playing missions both during the day and at night.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#20  Edited By ArbitraryWater  Online

I'm not going to lie, I think Dragon's Dogma would probably be a better game if it didn't have a day/night cycle and didn't force me to take out that stupid lantern in order to see more than 5 feet in front of me, though I guess by the postgame everything is dark and crappy during the day anyways.

Though really, I think it's pretty rare for any game of that genre to not have a day/night cycle. Arena had that, for crying out loud. Other than the examples you gave, I think it's pretty standard.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Wampa1

@WilliamHenry: I think it also changes when you save, but that's it.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @WilliamHenry

@Vextroid said:

Haven't played SR3 in a while, but theres really no day/night cycle? Do the missions control the time of day? I remember playing missions both during the day and at night.

I'm pretty certain it has a day/night cycle.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By ajamafalous

Not at all.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vextroid

@MariachiMacabre said:

@WilliamHenry

@Vextroid said:

I'm pretty certain it has a day/night cycle.

It randomly changes whenever you do missions and possibly activities.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By FesteringNeon

It's fun to see the dynamics of the game change when there's a proper cycle.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.