Tokyo Shin Seiroku: Operation Abyss is a sci-fi first person party turn-based dungeon crawler RPG developed by Experience Inc. for the PlayStation Vita. It is a combined remake of the company's two first releases, Generation Xth: Code Hazard and Generation Xth: Code Breaker, with gameplay updates and redone art.
Operation Abyss is a turn-based first person dungeon crawler, with a 6 character party. It is heavily inspired by the Wizardry games of the 80s, though with some modern features like auto-mapping and far less punishing gameplay.
Operation Abyss has 10 character classes, representing sets of powers developed from the genomes of heroes and villains from history. The first 8 are available at the start of the game, while the Monk and the Conjurer are unlocked as the game progresses.
- Warrior - A tough front line fighter that gains the ability to launch multiple blows
- Magician - A spell caster with mostly debuffs and offensive magic.
- Physician - A spell caster with mostly buffs and healing magic.
- Academic - A spell caster with a mix of offensive, defensive and utility magic. Can also identify items, open locks and disarm traps.
- Archer - A ranged fighter, with arrows can hit the most nimble targets and pierce through multiple rows of enemies.
- Samurai - Less armored than the warrior, the samurai relies on speed. Can hit whole rows of enemies at once, or finish off weakened opponents quickly with high risk attacks.
- Knight - The toughest of the classes. Can protect other party members from harm.
- Assassin - Lightly armored, can evade enemies by hiding and launching ambush attacks with the potential to kill with a single blow.
- Monk - A powerful close range fighter, capable of unleashing multiple blows per attack.
- Conjurer - A spell caster that can capture and summon creatures to fight for and aid them.
Please note that the game occasionally refers to the Physician class as Healer, and the Magician class as Wizard.
Upon starting the game the player is presented with a default party consisting of a warrior, a knight, a samurai, a magician, an academic and a physician. The player is free to disregard this however, and can create and swap in new characters as they please.
The game was published in Japan on July 24, 2014, by 5pb. Originally it was however set to be released on January 23, 2014, but was delayed when the original publisher, CyberFront, unexpectedly shut down in December 2013. A localized English language version was release in June 2015 by NIS America, Inc.