Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Orb

Concept »

In many games such as Devil May Cry and God of War, Orbs, or "Souls", if you will, spawn out of the enemies you destroy and provide you with either sweet life or power. Many times these "Orbs" can also be used as a currency of sorts to upgrade.

Alternatives to "orbs" in action games?

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By RipTheVeins

I was just thinking of possible alternatives to collecting "orbs" in action games, such as God of War, Devil May Cry, etc., since they feel a bit dated and game-y.  One rough alternative I thought of was for the character's body to get covered in the enemies blood, I.E. The Suffering, and they would then absorb the blood and whatever other liquids into their body and that would be how they access power-ups. Although this might only work for one or two games max since it is a very closed off method that would require some kind of story or explanation.   

Although this also brings to question if people are even tired of "orb" collecting like I am, and also what other creative ways you have, or would like to, see characters upgrade in action games.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Tylea002

Ninja gaiden has essence instead of orbs. They float in the air, not on the ground. So different.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Tylea002 said:
    "Ninja gaiden has essence instead of orbs. They float in the air, not on the ground. So different. "

Right... Totally different.
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Cerza

I think it would be pretty cool if instead of collecting orbs when you killed guys spikes flew out of them and you collected them by sucking them into your character and they pierce and puncture the characters body like a pin cushion before shattering. When you leveled up I think it would be pretty sweet if the character exploded into a mess of gore when the spikes shatter and then the new more powerful version of your character is standing there. If you could use the spikes a weapons and impale them into enemies that would also be pretty cool.

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By RipTheVeins
    @Cerza said:
    " I think it would be pretty cool if instead of collecting orbs when you killed guys spikes flew out of them and you collected them by sucking them into your character and they pierce and puncture the characters body like a pin cushion before shattering. When you leveled up I think it would be pretty sweet if the character exploded into a mess of gore when the spikes shatter and then the new more powerful version of your character is standing there. If you could use the spikes a weapons and impale them into enemies that would also be pretty cool. "
    ...I like.
    jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By jonnyboy

Either Gold Rings or Coins, I'd like to see that in a video game.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By buzz_clik

Instead of orbs, why not just walk up to your fallen opponent, tear the flesh off their body and stuff it greedily into your mouth? Sorted.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.