Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Origin

Concept »

A digital distribution platform owned and operated by EA.

EA's Origin Service Is Basically Spyware, According to Origin's EULA

spekingur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#151  Edited By spekingur

That's the Origin install EULA. Apparently there is another EULA when you create an EA account where it states that EA is allowed to record your MAC address along with lots other fun personal info. Yay!

Also, SWTOR will apparently not require you to install and run the Origin service to be able to play the game.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#152  Edited By jmrwacko

BF3 will require Origin to play. SWTOR won't. Just a note.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#153  Edited By GreggD

@Xeridae: Thank you, I knew there was something a little too cut and dried about all of this fearful thinking and alleged "bullshit".

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#154  Edited By Undeadpool

@Rufi91 said:

Well... God what is going on right now?

The South Park episode "Human CentiPad"

Ashuramaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#155  Edited By Ashuramaru

The way I see it this only effects people if you are doing somthing you shouldn't be. Internet, you're not doing somthing you shouldn't be, are you?

Sagalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Sagalla

Is this unwarranted freakout going to stop me playing BF3 on the PC?  Not for a second!

If people want to freak out about what companies do in ways that can really harm them, look at what companies like Monsanto do with GMO food - a little perspective would be nice, people.

FightMeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#157  Edited By FightMeNerd

Well that explains why EA didn't agree to valves rules. This would be a perfect explanation as it is a conflicting rule between the 2 services. If EA sold an origin game on steam then that would break steam termsof service as the choiceto opt out would no longer be optional.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#158  Edited By bwmcmaste
    @nick_verissimo said:
    I think the bigger problem here is why the hell are people actually downloading Origin?!
    Battlefield 3.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By CL60
    @demonknightinuyasha said:

If this doesn't change I'm gonna regrettably have to cancel my TOR preorder :/

If it was just anonymous usage statistics, that's fine, but personal information? Come on EA, fucking seriously?

@Morden2261 said:

I'm going to have to have this installed because I'm getting The Old Republic so this is really pissing me off...

TOR doesn't require Origin. So everybody saying "Well I'm never playing TOR now!" and "cancelling my preorder!!" make no sense.
    Zohar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Zohar
    @Xeridae said:
    People are making a huge deal out of this right now so hopefully my comments will put this into perspective.

The section in question:

You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services. 

All this means is that they can use the information they obtain to provide software updates, dynamic content, product support and online services like Battlefield 3 multiplayer for example. BFD.

EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services. We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you. IF YOU DO NOT WANT EA TO COLLECT, USE, STORE, TRANSMIT OR DISPLAY THE DATA DESCRIBED IN THIS SECTION, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE APPLICATION.

This just means that they can  also use this information to help market their products and SHARE it with third party service providers like DICE without identifying your personal information so that means they can't give out your IP or your computer name or username or anything else that would identify you. It says absolutely nothing about selling this information.

This needs to be put into the proper perspective. Did we all lose our reading comprehension overnight? EA can look at whatever the hell they want on my computer as far as I am concerned as long as it is used in the above context. If it is not then they will be in breach of their own EULA and I'll sue their asses. Until then though, this is completely harmless and I would not encourage any of my fellow gamers to give into this fear mongering BS.

But Fearmongering BS is why the internet was created!  That, and to guide ballistic missiles.

Honestly, I don't see the big deal here.  As long as information such as my name, address, cc info or other personally identifiable information stays private between me and EA, then I don't care.  I don't care if EA collects information on the OS I'm using or what kind of hardware I have and shares it with dice or other devs.  That information is actually useful for them for a multitude of reasons.  All of the articles and most comments I've read concerning this news contain gigantic assumptions and knee-jerk reactions with absolutely no basis in fact. 

I also find these manufactured controversies even more absurd in the era of Facebook and other social sites where hundreds of millions of people freely and publicly provide practically every fucking aspect of their lives right there on the internet for everyone to see.  I'd be willing to bet that most people bitching about this have a Facebook page.

Inflammatory articles like this are exactly what I was hoping to avoid when GB started to do regular news.  It's exactly why I don't go to websites like Kotaku anymore.   Not that this is a personal knock against Alex.  I like him and I think he's good at what he does.  I just feel like this was a very reactionary and inflammatory article that makes unconfirmed assumptions based on the intentionally broad language that one would normally find in an EULA.  The notion that this is some kind of proof that EA is going to gather up personal info on John Q Gamer and use it in some unscrupulous way is absurd. BUT I do respect that this is Alex's opinion and GB has always been about posting what the fuck they want to post (which is why this site is awesome).  It's my personal opinion that if something is going to be presented as news, it should be written a little more.... objectively.

That said, I think EA should include an opt-out option, if for any reason, to just shut everyone up.
    wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By wadtomaton

@CL60: Yeah, Funkydupe mentioned that above as well, but I'm a dumb and ended up replying with a private message instead of a post XD. I'm glad, because I want my ship and my wookie damn it >.<

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#162  Edited By Atary77

All I'm going to say is ,if they give us the option to Opt out of all the tracking nonsense then that would be good and all is well. However forcing this on us without any choice is downright Gawd-Awful. There is one choice at least for now, the choice not to buy any games that require EA's Origin Service. I think that sounds fair enough don't you?

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By niamahai

how is this different from Steam/PSN/XBL/uPlay/Blizzard client etc?

Its kinda a non-issue at this day&age. 
    just like constant internet connection!
    xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#164  Edited By xpgamer7

Why must companies blatantly do stupid things like this?

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#165  Edited By vidiot

Well, now what am I supposed to do? Pirate everything from you guys?

Alright: Message received loud and clear EA. Was totally not planning to do that. Hopefully you can come to your senses and give an opt-out option you imbeciles. I would like to support Dice, thank you very much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

This is written completely sensationalist and designed to whip up emotion. This is an absolutely horrendous display of yellow journalism, it isn't designed to inform, but to inflame. I don't want to be that guy who rails on the staff, but I feel like I have little recourse otherwise.

I remember seeing this yesterday as a 'sky is falling' forum topic by, presumably, a screechy teenager. It was criticized in comparison to Steam and most other websites and consumer applications. What is absolutely startling is that the news story posted by an industry professional is written with even more emotional, knee-jerk language than a common forum thread. That's awful.

(For the record, I only play weird indie games like VVVVVV on my PC. I have Steam and don't have Origin. The only PC exclusive that I'm interested in is TOR, which is not Origin exclusive.)

edit: I just read the Deus Ex Gamestop article, and I retract my previous statement; I feel like I should give Alex Navarro shit. I've seen Kessler approach news articles with more professionalism. Raging against the machine for page views is not the kind of industry writing that inspires me, or anyone. Write to inform, not to goad people into roiling in the comments. This is downright blog-quality.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#167  Edited By Forcen

Steam does this, but the difference is that Steam asks you first shows all the info it wants you to send to them. And they display all the info they get on a convenient web page!

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#168  Edited By benjaebe
    @Brodehouse said:

This is written completely sensationalist and designed to whip up emotion. This is an absolutely horrendous display of yellow journalism, it isn't designed to inform, but to inflame. I don't want to be that guy who rails on the staff, but I feel like I have little recourse otherwise.

I remember seeing this yesterday as a 'sky is falling' forum topic by, presumably, a screechy teenager. It was criticized in comparison to Steam and most other websites and consumer applications. What is absolutely startling is that the news story posted by an industry professional is written with even more emotional, knee-jerk language than a common forum thread. That's awful.

(For the record, I only play weird indie games like VVVVVV on my PC. I have Steam and don't have Origin. The only PC exclusive that I'm interested in is TOR, which is not Origin exclusive.)

I don't think the article is sensationalist at all. He even mentions that it's an entirely fixable problem for EA and everything he lists that Origin collects is in the EULA. No outrageous claims there. Most people don't even read EULA's and they're not very effective legally, so a program that collects personal information without outright informing them (i.e. a Steam opt-in or opt-out option) could very well be considered spyware.
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @benjaebe said:
    @Brodehouse said:

I don't think the article is sensationalist at all. He even mentions that it's an entirely fixable problem for EA and everything he lists that Origin collects is in the EULA. No outrageous claims there. Most people don't even read EULA's and they're not very effective legally, so a program that collects personal information without outright informing them (i.e. a Steam opt-in or opt-out option) could very well be considered spyware.
    Alex lost some credibility to me, when one of the things he alleges in this "article" is completely false.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@benjaebe said:

@Brodehouse said:

You and I are going to have to agree to disagree on 'EULA's don't really count so its spyware'. The article wasn't written with a lot of ambiguity, it was written as a damnation with scarce time spent to explain the realities of most consumer software, or how its used. There are literally posts in here saying 'EA is going to steal my credit card information!' If this was written with a mind towards being informative, how could a person even reach that conclusion? Because it was written to engender exactly that reaction, to make people feel threatened and violated.

You know, John Riccitello could very well be a vampire. There's nothing in any of EA's press releases that states he is not. In fact, the entire company might actually be a front for a secretive cult dedicated to Set.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#171  Edited By Brendan

Man, Alex, I understand the sentiment, but couldn't you be a bit more professional about it? This article is so full of vitriol my eyes hurt.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

Hey, guys? I kinda don't know where to buy video games anymore.

Also, I suppose EA just made the decision for me: no BF3. Not while they're trying to pull this bullshit. And since I have absolutely no desire to play TOR, I guess I can rest easy knowing my money won't be funding their grubby, oily business practices.

veXedbulldog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#173  Edited By veXedbulldog

@Brodehouse: How often do you read Alex' and Patrick's news pieces? This is an enthusiast site whose staff write for an enthusiast audience, as they themselves are enthusiasts. If you're expecting some higher-order, journalistic objectivity, you'll hardly find it here. I don't find that to be a fault, however, since I'm looking for people who advocate for my video gaming interests. In fact, it appears that we both literally subscribe to it. Having said that, I don't see the "yellow journalism," you're crying foul over in this piece. If anything, this is the least-invective-filled piece out of the three that called out gaming companies today. It's not like Alex is imploring gamers to actively boycott EA here. He posted a link to a Reddit thread.

Kujel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Kujel

EA may have just shot themselves and Origin in the foot.

Zohar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Zohar
    @benjaebe said:
    @Brodehouse said:

I respectfully disagree.  The headline itself is sensationalist. "EA Origin Service is Basically Spyware, According to Origin's EULA." is a sensational headline, and that's just the headline!  It contains a factual fallacy by equating Origin as spyware when the purpose of spyware is to collect information without the consent or knowledge of the user.  Origin states directly, in plain English, that is will collect various types of information and requires consent by the user as a condition of using the software. 

I don't want to single out Alex because, like I said before, I like Alex and I think he does a good job.  I will say that the articles making the rounds on various websites make 3 assumptions that I feel throw any notion objectivity out the window:

1.) The incendiary rhetoric assumes that there is no precedent for this type of data collection in gaming or otherwise. -Pretty much every website you visit, online store you buy from, or even brick and mortar store you go into is collecting some form of data on your activity and using that data for something.  Example: Burger King tracks everything you buy and exactly how much time you spend from the second you drive to the ordering speaker until you drive off the pressure pad at the window where you pick up your food.  Big stores like Walmart and Target start collecting data on customers the second they walk through the front door.

2.) The tone implies that EA could only be using this data in some kind of nefarious way. -This just goes along with the general notion that any big publisher or any big corporation for that matter only ever does anything because they are big, evil, greedy, and want to hose every customer they ever had out of every dollar they can.  There is absolutely no evidence or reason to assume that any data EA collects would be used for anything nefarious OR that it would even be used at all.  Example: Burger King uses the average time it takes each drive up customer to ensure that their employes are maintaining times inside of what they consider an acceptable limit.  The result is the customer gets his food faster and doesn't sit in a drive-thru for 10 minutes.  It benefits the company by being able to keep customers and it benefits the consumer by saving time.

3. The suprise of this "revelation" suggests that the consumers have been bamboozled by the publisher. -There was never any assumption that EA or anyone else does not collect data.  It should not be a surprise to any reasonable person with a basic understanding of consumerism that market data is collected by pretty much everybody in pretty much every industry.   I suppose this point coincides with point 1.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veXedbulldog: How often do you read Patrick's news pieces? When he reports on the Valve/EA tension or especially his series regarding the California violent games bill, he writes with the intention of informing and not getting emotional reactions. He takes quotes from sources no matter how unpopular they are and doesn't mess with context, he offers a look at both sides of arguments. Today's articles only feature the kind of knee-jerk reaction you'd expect from, well, a Reddit thread. Not only do we deserve better, but Alex is capable of better.

As for 'advocacy', you should look into what it means. Being a consumer advocate does not mean you attempt to stir them into a frothing, angry mass every time something happens, it means you give them all the knowledge and tools within your power to make good consumer decisions. Writing emotional, uninformative tirades that only exist to stroke populist fears of violation doesn't serve the consumer in any way, because now they're just ignorant in a different way.

What I appreciate is a principled stand. Not a constantly blaring klaxon designed to generate page views.

platzkart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By platzkart

@Ashuramaru said:

The way I see it this only effects people if you are doing somthing you shouldn't be. Internet, you're not doing somthing you shouldn't be, are you?

This always struck me as a bizarre attitude. I don't have anything to hide in my living room, but I wouldn't want people randomly stopping by and staring into it. I think we're entitled to some measure of privacy in these Zuckerberg and Google-filled days we live in, surely?

broqz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By broqz

so if they are going to sell this info why is my game still 60 bucks? 
    oh yeah, to all the people saying they will just get the console version, do you really think Sony and Microsoft don't do this in some manner also? 
    meh, i'll probably still buy and play it.  why do i care if EA knows how much time i spend on reddit  or giantbomb?

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @broqz said:
    so if they are going to sell this info why is my game still 60 bucks? oh yeah, to all the people saying they will just get the console version, do you really think Sony and Microsoft don't do this in some manner also? meh, i'll probably still buy and play it.  why do i care if EA knows how much time i spend on reddit  or giantbomb?
    They are not selling any personal information, that was a false statement.
    broqz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By broqz
    @FrankCanada97: thats good to know i guess.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By napalm
    @Xeridae said:
    People are making a huge deal out of this right now so hopefully my comments will put this into perspective.

The section in question:

You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services. 

All this means is that they can use the information they obtain to provide software updates, dynamic content, product support and online services like Battlefield 3 multiplayer for example. BFD.

EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services. We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you. IF YOU DO NOT WANT EA TO COLLECT, USE, STORE, TRANSMIT OR DISPLAY THE DATA DESCRIBED IN THIS SECTION, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE APPLICATION.

This just means that they can  also use this information to help market their products and SHARE it with third party service providers like DICE without identifying your personal information so that means they can't give out your IP or your computer name or username or anything else that would identify you. It says absolutely nothing about selling this information.

This needs to be put into the proper perspective. Did we all lose our reading comprehension overnight? EA can look at whatever the hell they want on my computer as far as I am concerned as long as it is used in the above context. If it is not then they will be in breach of their own EULA and I'll sue their asses. Until then though, this is completely harmless and I would not encourage any of my fellow gamers to give into this fear mongering BS.

Case closed?
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Evilsbane

@DarkbeatDK said:

I expect to be kidnapped on the street by masked men in a black truck and then find myself as a competitor in a twisted nightmare version of "The Running Man" filled with ridiculous amounts of colored lights, "Powered by Nvidia" messages and hosted by John Romero.

Well...sign me UP!

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By RsistncE
    @FrankCanada97 said:
    @broqz said:
    so if they are going to sell this info why is my game still 60 bucks? oh yeah, to all the people saying they will just get the console version, do you really think Sony and Microsoft don't do this in some manner also? meh, i'll probably still buy and play it.  why do i care if EA knows how much time i spend on reddit  or giantbomb?
    "We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you." 

This is the exact sentence from the clause in the EULA that has caused this uproar: as a legal document it doesn't say anything about not exchanging money for said information.
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @RsistncE said:
    @FrankCanada97 said:
    @broqz said:
    "We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you."  This is the exact sentence from the clause in the EULA that has caused this uproar: as a legal document it doesn't say anything about not exchanging money for said information.
    Are you suggesting that Alex is in the right by stating that EA "will happily sell your information to any third parties it sees fit."?
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By RsistncE
    @Napalm said:
    @Xeridae said:

The section in question:

Case closed?
    Not at all. This guy reads EULA's like they're classic legal contracts written in black and white; I'd argue anyone with decent reading comprehension skills can easily pick up on the ambiguities and generalities in this EULA. For example: this guy points out that collected information could be used in the context of BF3, however, he completely fails to point out that the EULA says "other services". Other services is a pretty wide umbrella. The second point he makes suffers from the same inability to understand what the EULA is saying implicitly: that although the information may not be sold in a transaction where the information is sold for money, the information "shared" could be part of a sharing agreement set up prior to the EULA where money was exchanged for such a service. And as for "third party service providers", if I was to list all of EA's third party partners, no one here would recognized even half of the names on the list (including me). It boils down to this: EA has a bad history when it comes to customer relationship management and no rational person should be saying, "Hey, this sounds alright to me because Company X does it!"
    css_switchfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By css_switchfoot

@Donos: its more the fact that they are saying they will sell your information (name, email, address, facebook, phone number) to 3rd party companies. this means more spam in your inbox and more telemarketers calling you.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By RsistncE
    @FrankCanada97: I never said that, what I said was that the EULA doesn't state anything about the exchange of money for information and the way the EULA is worded is completely ambiguous. As I pointed out above EA could very well have information sharing agreements set up with those third party partners, sharing agreements which did involve the exchange of money before the EULA for Origin was even written up (as a strategic move). So if money was exchanged already for the future exchange of information, how is that any different (in terms of our moral indignation) from selling our information to those providers?
    Xeridae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Xeridae
    @RsistncE said:
    @Napalm said:
    @Xeridae said:

The section in question:

Case closed?
    Not at all. This guy reads EULA's like they're classic legal contracts written in black and white; I'd argue anyone with decent reading comprehension skills can easily pick up on the ambiguities and generalities in this EULA. For example: this guy points out that collected information could be used in the context of BF3, however, he completely fails to point out that the EULA says "other services". Other services is a pretty wide umbrella. The second point he makes suffers from the same inability to understand what the EULA is saying implicitly: that although the information may not be sold in a transaction where the information is sold for money, the information "shared" could be part of a sharing agreement set up prior to the EULA where money was exchanged for such a service. And as for "third party service providers", if I was to list all of EA's third party partners, no one here would recognized even half of the names on the list (including me). It boils down to this: EA has a bad history when it comes to customer relationship management and no rational person should be saying, "Hey, this sounds alright to me because Company X does it!"
    Completely irrelevant argument for the simple fact that as I said, they can only use the information in specific ways. Anything outside of the context of the agreement is a breach of this EULA. In other words, as I've already said, there is absolutely nothing in this agreement to be worried about. In fact, it can be read in black and white terms because of the fact that they specifically say in what context they are using this information. "other services" is ambiguous but it does not benefit them to use such terminology because it leaves it open to interpretation by both parties and, most importantly, a judge. You sir, reek of fear.
    Zohar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Zohar

Is everybody willfully glossing over this statement:

"We may also share that data with our third party service providers >in a form that does not personally identify you<." 

Where's the controversy again?

css_switchfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By css_switchfoot

@EveretteScott said:

@css_switchfoot said:

and pirates come to the rescue once again

i hope if they do patch in the opt-out feature that some tech-savvy dude checks to make sure its actually not still collecting information.

Again? Yeah, no. They also haven't 'rescued' anything to begin with.

I disagree with you. In the beginning...sure it was all a bunch of bullshit so people didn't have to pay for games. Then DRM proved to actually affect people's CD and DVD drives (their actual hardware) and use spyware and rootkits. Then people couldn't buy a physical copy and install it without being connected to the internet (some better than others... Steam vs Ubisoft for instance). In the end piracy has hurt the industry...but DRM has also. They provide fuel for each other and both are bad, but necessary, to the industry. Piracy is an avenue that allows people to play the games they bought wherever and whenever they want, not just for thieves who don't want to pay for their games. If I want to play the BF3 campaign without letting my email get sold to 3rd Party spammers, I will have to buy the boxed game and download the Pirate's crack. This isn't the first game that I had to play that way.

So to me...pirates to the rescue once again.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By RsistncE
    @Xeridae: How is the EULA specific when even you admit that the EULA says "other services". And no I'm not afraid, I just know how EULA's have been bent and used in the past and know of the legal history surrounding them; software companies have used EULA's in the past to do as they please, usually masking such activity under the ambiguous language that they used in their EULA. But hey, if you're fine with this then go ahead: many people, including myself, are not, largely because EA isn't a trustworthy company as evidenced in it's past with customer relationship management.
    Xeridae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Xeridae
    @RsistncE said:
    @Xeridae: How is the EULA specific when even you admit that the EULA says "other services". And no I'm not afraid, I just know how EULA's have been bent and used in the past and know of the legal history surrounding them; software companies have used EULA's in the past to do as they please, usually masking such activity under the ambiguous language that they used in their EULA. But hey, if you're fine with this then go ahead: many people, including myself, are not, largely because EA isn't a trustworthy company as evidenced in it's past with customer relationship management.
    Even though it says other services, It also says "other services to you". What is there to be concerned about? This information is not being used to create super aids that is delivered to your door. That's my point. I know you say you're not afraid but your comments seem to portray something to the contrary and I am merely trying to reassure you and others that this is inconsequential. I can't speak to what EA has or hasn't done. I can only tell you that based on what this EULA says, the information they obtain is used purely for products and services, whatever they may be, and not to destroy your life.
    saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By saddlebrown

The only thing I got out of this article is how much I fucking hate South Park now. People talk about how Family Guy is trash because all they do is reference other stuff, well, at least those references are quick. South Park just bases every single new episode around "WHAT WAS HOT IN THE NEWS A WEEK AGO." Awful, awful show now.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#194  Edited By GreggD

@Xeridae said:

@RsistncE said:
    Even though it says other services, It also says "other services to you". What is there to be concerned about? This information is not being used to create super aids that is delivered to your door. That's my point. I know you say you're not afraid but your comments seem to portray something to the contrary and I am merely trying to reassure you and others that this is inconsequential. I can't speak to what EA has or hasn't done. I can only tell you that based on what this EULA says, the information they obtain is used purely for products and services, whatever they may be, and not to destroy your life.

You really should stop replying to him, he hates EA with a fiery passion, and is also an idiot, from what I've seen of his previous bullshit posts.

vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By vinsanityv22

It sounds more like a Gamestop service than an EA one, at this point. 

At any rate, i don't care. I definitely lean more towards consoles for my gaming experience, and only use Gamersgate and GOG for PC downloads. I don't even wanna use Steam, unless it someday lets you just DL games from a browser. I don't care for any features on Valve's service besides buying games and don't need anymore .exe's on my desktop. All these services are getting really shifty...

Also, out of all the services for hackers to go after, I'd imagine Origin would be looking quite tempting right now, what with all the personal info EA's gathering...

Revenant86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Revenant86

and that's exactly why i'm waiting for Skidrow

Revenant86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Revenant86
    @FacestabMan: and you have every right to beangry. Facebook is one thing, but using a game i love to steal my info is another entirley
    Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#198  Edited By Wolverine

After reading this I definitely wont be buying games on Origin (not that I probably was going to anyway).

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Branthog

@whatisdelicious said:

The only thing I got out of this article is how much I fucking hate South Park now. People talk about how Family Guy is trash because all they do is reference other stuff, well, at least those references are quick. South Park just bases every single new episode around "WHAT WAS HOT IN THE NEWS A WEEK AGO." Awful, awful show now.

Uh - that has been how South Park has operated since like 1998 and the turnaround time on their social commentary pieces is what has set them apart from other shows.

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
    SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering Steam does the same shit.... Pirates are probably the only sane PC gamers left.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.