Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Origin

Concept »

A digital distribution platform owned and operated by EA.

Free game on Origin?

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Funzzo

So I loaded up Origin this morning because I wanted to check out ME3 and on my games page it had 2 games listed one being Alice 2 which I bought when it came out and the second being NFS hot pursuit which I bought on steam a while back. I right clicked on game details and it said it was purchased on Feb.11.2012. I have not been on origin for months. I then checked my bank account and my paypal and no money was missing from anywhere. So my question is did origin just give this game out for free or what? How is it now on my origin account with a cd key? Also when I look under my purchase history on origin its not there either.

Mitch0712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Mitch0712

I have noticed that origin is able to detect if you had games installed on your computer even through steam. Maybe they're just handing out the licenses so you don't manually have to redeem the cd key yourself anymore like earlier when origin first launched.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By VoshiNova

They transfer from steam with little to no ease, I spent a good hour yesterday redeeming games I had purchased on Steam by getting the product keys from Steam and choosing the "redeem game" option.

Here's to hoping they adopt some form of achievement system though. I require more vespene gas.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

That definitely sounds familiar, but I don't have Origin, so you may wish to get somebody else to post in this thread.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

EA are really good at giving you games you own via other distribution avenues on Origin. They've been doing it for years, since right back to when they launched the EA Download Manager, long before it was rebranded to Origin. I have Origin copies of a bunch of games that I bought via retail because I entered the CD key online. Say what you want about EA and Origin, but that is awesome and more publishers should do it. Having the benefits of a boxed copy AND a digital copy is fantastic. It seems they might have streamlined the process even further & you don't even have to enter the CD key into Origin, which is even better.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Funzzo

So Origin is trying to get people to play games they already have on steam on Origin.Thats kinda stupid.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zeforgotten
    @Funzzo said:

So Origin is trying to get people to play games they already have on steam on Origin.Thats kinda stupid.

Yes, that is exactly what is happening. 
    Would be just easier if they forced you to buy it again of course but nooo, they had do things the dumb way where they give you the game on their distribution platform that you already own. How fucking dare they?
    GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8  Edited By GS_Dan

@Funzzo said:

It's not just Steam though. I bought ME2 from Direct2Drive and it turns up in my Steam library. I much prefer downloading things from Origin than D2D.

My Steam copy of ME1 isn't showing though.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jetsetwillie

@ZeForgotten said:

@Funzzo said:

Yes, that is exactly what is happening. Would be just easier if they forced you to buy it again of course but nooo, they had do things the dumb way where they give you the game on their distribution platform that you already own. How fucking dare they?

well it is fuckin EA and this is the fuckin internet. so we have to hate E'fuckin A at every opportunity.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By zeforgotten
    @jetsetwillie said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@Funzzo said:

Yes, that is exactly what is happening. Would be just easier if they forced you to buy it again of course but nooo, they had do things the dumb way where they give you the game on their distribution platform that you already own. How fucking dare they?

well it is fuckin EA and this is the fuckin internet. so we have to hate E'fuckin A at every opportunity.

I know this, that is why I am also hating on EA for doing the dumb thing and giving me what I already own on their own client. What the fuck?! they should let me pay for it again, those dumb fucks. 
    But really what we should be discussing is, who're we gonna hate for no reason next week? 
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By AlexW00d

Yeah they added C&C4 to mine today too. Weird that that's the only game they added, and the fact that they didn't even tell us. But hey, thanks.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By themangalist

Origin's doing something good!???? STEAM FANBOY PANIC!!! AAAAHHHHH

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By viking_funeral

@Funzzo said:

It's actually kind of brilliant, at least from a business viewpoint.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vitor

@MattyFTM said:

EA are really good at giving you games you own via other distribution avenues on Origin. They've been doing it for years, since right back to when they launched the EA Download Manager, long before it was rebranded to Origin. I have Origin copies of a bunch of games that I bought via retail because I entered the CD key online. Say what you want about EA and Origin, but that is awesome and more publishers should do it. Having the benefits of a boxed copy AND a digital copy is fantastic. It seems they might have streamlined the process even further & you don't even have to enter the CD key into Origin, which is even better.

I agree. I also saw Hot Pursuit and Bad Company 2 showing up in mine recently after I reinstalled the games via Steam. Neat feature for sure. Doesn't show Bulletstorm on there but that's likely because it's on a separate HDD/I bought it through GMG.

Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Gilsham

You can put pretty much any EA key into origin and if it is available they will add it to your account

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By mikemcn

@ZeForgotten said:

@jetsetwillie said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@Funzzo said:

I know this, that is why I am also hating on EA for doing the dumb thing and giving me what I already own on their own client. What the fuck?! they should let me pay for it again, those dumb fucks. But really what we should be discussing is, who're we gonna hate for no reason next week?

How about you stop with the sarcasm and make your point. Don't defend EA for taking advantage of their market power to the detriment of the consumer.

It's cool that they're doing this, but it just goes to show that Origin is a redundant service, if EA wanted to make the customer happy they'd have their digital sales on the platform where most people get their game, Steam. But they make more money on Origin apparently. What's the point of moving a game over to Origin if you already have it on Steam? Just include an "add non-origin game" option.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zeforgotten
    @Mikemcn said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@jetsetwillie said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@Funzzo said:

I know this, that is why I am also hating on EA for doing the dumb thing and giving me what I already own on their own client. What the fuck?! they should let me pay for it again, those dumb fucks. But really what we should be discussing is, who're we gonna hate for no reason next week?

How about you stop with the sarcasm and make your point. Don't defend EA for taking advantage of their market power to the detriment of the consumer.

It's cool that they're doing this, but it just goes to show that Origin is a redundant service, if EA wanted to make the customer happy they'd have their digital sales on the platform where most people get their game, Steam. But they make more money on Origin apparently. What's the point of moving a game over to Origin if you already have it on Steam? Just include an "add non-origin game" option.

I would rather defend EAs decision to do that than fucking whine about them doing it. It's basically just people bitching and moaning because it has "EA" stamped on it nothing else.  
    Now don't get me wrong, I didn't expect anything above that from people here, at all. Doesn't make it any less pathetic though
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By crusader8463

As much as I despise origin, it's pretty nifty of them to let you use CD keys from other services to apply them to your origin account. It's certainly not something that sounds like a move EA would do, and I'm shocked that they don't ask for a small fee or something.

They probably found it linked to your master EA account at some point and just added it to your list. Would be my best guess. I bet if I logged into origin I would probably have a bunch of my EA games on there.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Funzzo

@ZeForgotten said:

@Mikemcn said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@jetsetwillie said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@Funzzo said:

I would rather defend EAs decision to do that than fucking whine about them doing it. It's basically just people bitching and moaning because it has "EA" stamped on it nothing else. Now don't get me wrong, I didn't expect anything above that from people here, at all. Doesn't make it any less pathetic though

Hey ZeForgotten I asked a fucking question and thought adding my steam games was "kinda stupid" I was not bashing on EA or Origin and I like steam but I'm far from a "fanboy". I thought it was kinda stupid because on origin it said I had purchased it three fucking days ago when I had not. So why don't YOU stop your pathetic bitching and moaning.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Funzzo: For a dude named Funzzo you aren't very fun

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iam3green

seems alright. i don't use origin, i don't think i have any EA games. i was gifted mass effect 2 played it and haven't touched origin.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Barrock

Anyone having trouble registering their Steam games with Origin? I have Mass Effect 2 installed but it won't add it and it says the key has already been used.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Origin can detect most of the new EA games and because thy are tied to your EA account you automatically get a copy of them in Origin, which is pretty awesome.

If they weren't added automatically you can manually put the serial in and get it.

@Barrock: Are you sure it's on the same EA account?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.