Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Origin

Concept »

A digital distribution platform owned and operated by EA.

How's Origin?

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By betterley

So, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna take the leap on Titanfall 2 for my PC. I haven't played a current FPS in a few years, and I'm feeling the itch.

I know this may sound rigid, but the idea of using Origin really deters me; I hate using terrible middleware. I've never played an EA game on my PC because of this, among other reasons.

So, is it really that bad?

I know U-Play has gotten much better over the years, what's the verdict on Origin?

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's really not that bad and shouldn't at all stop you enjoying the games on it. Maybe it was janky at launch but it's totally inoffensive now. Just set it so it doesn't launch at startup and you'll be fine.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As a client it's pretty much fine. You can add most games to steam and use the steam overlay. As a store it is fucking awful though.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never had an issue with it

DookieRope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Much like Steam, it was awful initially and is now fine.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

There is nothing wrong with Origin. Just launch it. You don't die.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pros:

- download speeds have been great for me.

Cons:

- The ui was always bad but now its worse and the store is slow.

- I've never been able launch crysis because it asks for a disk..

- I get alt tabbed out of BF1 if I get an achievement even if I disable origin in game.

Its a thing, certainly not great or good but its where battlefield lives now so... Ehhhhhhh.

thatbendorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, it's fine. All launchers are pretty ok at this point.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

all

Eh, it's fine. All launchers are pretty ok at this point.

yea I mean you open a program that opens a program. I cant see this as a determinant to play something. its just so inoffensive

whoever said the store sucks is right. makes steam look good and thats saying something.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the software I need running in order to play Battlefield soooo...
    I'm certainly not using Origin to browse for games in their store. I buy what game I want that is only sold on Origin and forget about it. Sure there may be some quirks for some people here and there but I've never had any issues worth mentioning/remembering. Just set it to manual startup and run it when you want to Titanfall.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It functions like it should, but its another program to run beside the game. I find in forget i even have it half the time and havent beaten any of the games i own on it. But its not bad like uplay, which is literally terrible.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Origin is one of the better ones, to be honest. Their refund policy is very good, and they give away free old games sometimes. The offline mode seemed to work alright when the service went down recently. What also surprised me is that all of your old EA games cd keys are actually redeemable on the service, if you want to digitise your library (I redeemed my old Dragon Age 1 key with no problem).

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Tennmuerti

Well they fixed their shitty billing system for one at some point since since last year so that's a plus.

The new UI is still awful. It's only saving grace is that it doesn't need to handle as many games as Steam.

AdamALC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is non intrusive, gives away some decent old games, and has had some decent sales. All in all not bad at all.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I think I'm in the minority here but I think the newest UI has worked much better for me. It seems perfectly fine. Still sucks you gotta have two clients but now its a minor annoyance rather than a huge issue.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's never really had issues for me, and i don't mind there being some competition out there against steam (though i guess GOG is probably strongest in that regard). tbh though ive only really bought a handful of games from them so it's not quite steam levels of enticing yet.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As the others said it's fine, the only issue I have had with the current build is it tabs me out of non origin games whenever I get an origin notification. So I wouldn't keep it on in the background.

bacon420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The client works well enough and Origin has fantastic customer support.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fine and does the job they set out to do. Just don't get sucked into EA Early Access.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GundamGuru

The only thing that's ever bothered me about Origin is that old games seem to patch randomly for no reason. We got a couple gigabyte Mass Effect 1 update a few months ago, and nobody on Reddit could figure out why.

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By betterley

@bacon420:

@audiobusting:

I've heard that they have great customer support now.

I guess being voted the worst company in the world a few times causes you to make some changes.

Looks like I'll be the proud owner of Titanfall 2 tonight.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They have actual customer support with a great response time. Which is nice.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Meh, it's fine.

discomposure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it.
    I've been using Origin for about the same time as I've been using Steam (not a big PC gamer) and in some ways I prefer it

I find Origin looks nicer and is quicker, but as a store it's obviously more limited & tends to be a bit expensive. They give away free games pretty regularly though, which is cool.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It's not bad, but in all honesty people that don't play games because they refuse to use anything but Steam need to kind of get over it.

I'm playing Gears 4 through the Windows store and man it's great - I just bring up the start menu, click the icon and we're off. It's ..now bear with me here.. actually more convenient than Steam.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's totally fine. Though I'd suggest Titanfall 2 on a console if you have the option. I'm not convinced the PC community will be very large.

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity:

How dare you say such a thing?

Are you even a PC gamer?

Dregdon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These days the main argument against Origin is basically just that it isn't Steam so it automatically sucks. Origin has been pretty good for awhile now.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@betterley: Honestly it's not bad, it's easily the second best of those clients out there in terms of usability and EA clearly is invested in continually making it better. Granted it's hard to build a friends list there given how far it is behind Steam, but other than that it generally works just fine. And the download speeds often crush Steam's for me. It even often has decent sales.

But that's never been the issue with Origin. It's always been about account security (not so great, at times really bad) and user rights (see the recent thing where they bricked the service to everyboody in Iran and Myanmar basically taking all their customers' games away there in those countries)

It used to do really funky stuff when it first came out, that violated your privacy and such. It has been accused of being a rootkit in the past or something like a rootkit. I don't remember all the specifics. I suspect it still might do crap like that, but haven't heard much grumbling along those lines in recent years.

But I've personally, as of yet, haven't had any issues with it at all.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@betterley: At this point I'm kind of barely a PC gamer anymore. If I can get the console version I'll probably go with that for convenience, although there are some titles I would definitely prefer to play on PC. I can't imagine playing Titanfall 2 on anything but a console though.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Origin has always been fine. It's just the usual "no steam no buy" crowd that hates on it. I get better download speeds on Origin. Like yeah I want everything in one spot too, but it's REALLY not a big deal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.