Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Outlast

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 04, 2013

Deep within the abandoned halls of Mount Massive Asylum, amateur journalist Miles Upshur sets out to find a good story, and instead finds an evil presence.

So, is this scary or just a Jump Scare marathon?

mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mason20

I've decided to check this game out after what I've heard and from what I've read Patrick post about. I'm not trying to sound like some manly man but am I missing something? I've got past the point of the sewers and I am into the Male Ward. I've gone into this game blind and I've yet to have anything give me that sense of fear that past Horror games have given me. Granted the last "true horror game" that gave me that feeling was the Condemned series.

So, has anyone truly been afraid of this or is it just over-hype and people playing up the fear for the audience?

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well, I guess different types of horror have different effects on different types of people, though I watched the spookin with scoops where he played this and can't quite remember any big scare or anything(been a while though), maybe the game is more unsettling than it is actually scary.

Personally I can't say because the idea of playing a game where all you do is run and hide absolutely do not appeal to me.

mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onarum: I will completely agree with you about horror games that just involve you running away. I find when you have to confront and fight the monster/enemy more effective as a scare then running away. But, I've become desperate about horror games that I decided to check this out.

So, I suppose this leads me to a follow up question. What has been the most effective horror game as of late that is available on the P.C.?

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I think there were a handful of genuinely scary segments in the game, and some of the jump scares definitely got me. The end of the sewer level and a few of the outdoor parts had me on the edge of my seat. Hardly the scariest game I've ever played, or even played this year, but it has its moments.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mason20: a I don't think I'm the best to answer this, horror is not exactly my thing.

Besides most recent titles in the genre seem to be of the run and hide variety, like amnesia or alien isolation.

The forest looks like it could be scary maybe.

Thinking back games that scared the shit out of me dead space 1 comes to mind, also fear 1, Bio shock was freaky too.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@mason20 said:

@onarum: I will completely agree with you about horror games that just involve you running away. I find when you have to confront and fight the monster/enemy more effective as a scare then running away. But, I've become desperate about horror games that I decided to check this out.

So, I suppose this leads me to a follow up question. What has been the most effective horror game as of late that is available on the P.C.?

Stalker fo sho.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I'd say it's more scary than a "jump scare marathon" - I thought that game was pretty good about that. FNAF is what I would consider a "jump scare marathon".

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Outlast is all about jump scares. The game shoves a bunch in to your face within the first ten minutes without doing anything to earn them. @beachthunder, to your point about FNAF being a jump scare marathon, I have to disagree. Jump scares in FNAF are used as a way to punish the player for failure and are entirely avoidable if you know what you're doing. The game builds tension by limiting resources and field of view, and if the goal of surviving isn't met, you get a jump scare. It's a good use of them, unlike most games in which the jump scares are completely unavoidable and arbitrary.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

I played some of this before Halloween for my store's Halloween streams. I won't say it's ALL jump scares, but it's MOSTLY jump scares. There are a couple of good tense moments (like when you have to switch on the two gas pumps to get the generator back on). It has a decent level of tension in it at the start, and it kind of keeps that up...a little bit...

Honestly, my problem with the game was that there would be moments where you had the "I have no clue what to do next, what the fuck do I need to be doing, I'm losing the immersion of this now" that I hate happening in games.

mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: I've been curious about the Stalker series for a while. I just picked up Call of Pripyat. So is it better to play it like orginally intended or should I check out some Mods? If so, what are some to look for?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@mason20 said:

@alexw00d: I've been curious about the Stalker series for a while. I just picked up Call of Pripyat. So is it better to play it like orginally intended or should I check out some Mods? If so, what are some to look for?

There's 2 recommended mods for CoP, Misery and Complete. Misery is somewhat of an overhaul as it improves textures, lighting, weather, and the gun physics and a whole bunch other things, all for the good 'cause it retains the atmosphere of the game. I haven't played CoP with complete, but I'm fairly sure it also does all that stuff.

I would play with Misery tbh, it's supposed to make the game harder, but you can have all the improvements without the hike in difficulty.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FrostyRyan

It earns its jumpscares, as all jumpscares should. Tension builds, the atmosphere gets under your skin, and you're paranoid constantly. Great, solid survival horror game. This is the kind of thing to support.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

It's a game about tension, in my opinion. I wouldn't say there are many jump scares, unless you aren't paying attention, but it's more about trying to slink around and hope you don't get spotted or running away, heart pounding, hoping you can find a hiding spot. It's one of the more effective horror games of the last few years, surely.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Giant_Gamer

Not scary at all.

I agree with you on condemned though. Although i think that we'll never see a return to the series.. ever :(

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've never been the type of person to be capable of being scared by any horror game or movie or whatever. I just can't get myself to the point of being able to look at that type of thing as anything other than something I'm viewing on a TV screen. I can certainly appreciate well done atmosphere and mood, but I'm never going to be the one to get genuinely scared and screaming out loud while playing a game.

With that said, I thought Outlast was an okay game.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I think it's a pretty good game in it's own right. I also think it earns it's scares and... well, I'd elaborate further but I'll just link the blog where I wrote about it last month instead.

mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanwithnoplan: I've read your blog on Outlast and while I can see your point and view and respect it. I still have to disagree. I was able to pick up when and where jumps scare were going to happen and I noticed nearly immediately that when you solve a puzzle that there is always a bed, locker, or something to hide behind/under. To me Outlast is a fine game but, scary it is not. You're opinion is absolutely valid and your write up seems justified for this game. It's just not for me. I'll still hold steadfast about the jump scare issue I have with it but, that's because I adore atmosphere. That's why Condemned, Silent Hill 3, & 1, and what I've found in the Stalker series in terms of atmosphere more compelling. Hell, even just recently playing Neverending Nightmare had me more on edge then Outlast.

Interesting and well put together write up. Keep up the good work.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ending was profoundly silly, but it was otherwise solid.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.