Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Outlast

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 04, 2013

Deep within the abandoned halls of Mount Massive Asylum, amateur journalist Miles Upshur sets out to find a good story, and instead finds an evil presence.

THE ENDING SUCKED!! WTF KIND OF ENDING IS THAT?

30krobert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well, i paid for it, i've peed myself through it, but towards the end it became a maze chase and that very last bit, limping, and then boom, a shot to the chest, then darkness, *Screams* aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand credits....

No Caption Provided

This has to be the worst ending i've seen since Doom 3's expansion pack, like seriously? , we just went through all that shit, just to end up in some Dead Space 3-esque facility being constantly chased by a ghost and then just get shot by tactical cops? WITH NO CONCLUSION WHAT SO EVER? this is the most bull i've seen in a long time.

Personally the ending crammed it all up for me, i don't even want to play it again, the game was amazing all the way through but this shitty ending really brought me down about it..

what did you think about it?

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

My problem with it is finding out what Walrider was. I understood that there were experiments being done and everything, but the game doesn't show anything as supernatural until the end, except for like 5 seconds of Murkoff guys being killed on the security camera.

Overall though, a really great game.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By CaLe

I wanted it to end before getting to the female ward as by that point it was no longer able to scare me. I just ran through everything from then on. I liked the direction the ending was going in, but the execution could have been handled much better.

I hope I'm not numbing to horror games because I'm really looking forward to Pig Machine.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ending was filled with tons of non-sensical technobabble telling you "don't sweat the details." So was the Walrider just a cloud of nanomachines that were a manifestation of Billy? That's what I gathered from all the words they were saying.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh you know what i need to check this out...

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It doesn't seem much worse than most endings to horror games. The likes of FEAR, the first Dead Space, Amensia. They were all fairly open-ended. Usually ending with an obvious, "Oh shit" moment.

30krobert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't seem much worse than most endings to horror games. The likes of FEAR, the first Dead Space, Amensia. They were all fairly open-ended. Usually ending with an obvious, "Oh shit" moment.

yeah, only dead space and fear had a continuation to the story, they weren't like ; BAM YOU'RE DEAD!!! ; they were more like "oh iam fine now... phsew that was an ordeal... *tension music rising* AND BAM A MONSTER APPEARS AND PITCH BLACK, they were more of a cliffhangers than open endings and we all knew we will get another one, this is just like "FUCK YOU MAIN CHARACTER , FUCK YOU AND EVERYTHING YOU STAND FOR HERE'S SOME LEAD IN YOUR CHEST TO MAKE UP FOR ALL THE SHIT YOU'VE BEEN THROUGH" that's pretty much what i felt from this ending, i wanted a conclusion, let mile's die, fine, but at least tell us what happened later , because with this ending, all the stuff you did don't really matter because who know's what happened next?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

How about you start a petition? It worked for Mass Effect :/

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@minipato said:

The ending was filled with tons of non-sensical technobabble telling you "don't sweat the details." So was the Walrider just a cloud of nanomachines that were a manifestation of Billy? That's what I gathered from all the words they were saying.

Is...is that what it was supposed to be? I have to admit I did get a little confused - I did miss a bunch of notes (the ones you get from pointing the camera).

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't like any of the Walrider stuff, honestly. I felt like the story was going in an extremely interesting direction ("How do you know you're not an inmate?"), and I was disappointed when it was much more straightforward and obvious. The story was Outlast's strongest asset (I didn't find it all that scary, sadly... by the second encounter, I saw how dumb and easily manipulated the AI was, and it killed almost every bit of tension for me), and it kind of shit itself once you find Billy.

As for the actual ending, I kind of liked it. I'll take a sudden death over an improbable escape any day.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@minipato said:

So was the Walrider just a cloud of nanomachines that were a manifestation of Billy?

...I might have to play this game.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenlight said:

How about you start a petition? It worked for Mass Effect :/

Shall we make cupcakes?

Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

@minipato said:

So was the Walrider just a cloud of nanomachines that were a manifestation of Billy?

NANOMACHINES SON

Malarkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@branwulf said:

@theht said:

@minipato said:

NANOMACHINES SON

No Caption Provided

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Nekroskop

It`s the 'Gone Home' of horror games.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the ending was fitting. After all, it was based around this "found footage" concept, and one of the common conceits of that premise is that the main characters die. The ghost stuff was dumb.

@shagge said:

I didn't like any of the Walrider stuff, honestly. I felt like the story was going in an extremely interesting direction ("How do you know you're not an inmate?"), and I was disappointed when it was much more straightforward and obvious.

It's funny that you think that. The moment I heard that line I said aloud to myself, "No, that won't be it. That's far too obvious. That's like the easy way out in any horror story set around an asylum."

As off-the-rails as it was, I appreciated that they stuck to their guns instead of making some obvious "fooled you!" ending.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the ending was fitting. After all, it was based around this "found footage" concept, and one of the common conceits of that premise is that the main characters die. The ghost stuff was dumb.

@shagge said:

I didn't like any of the Walrider stuff, honestly. I felt like the story was going in an extremely interesting direction ("How do you know you're not an inmate?"), and I was disappointed when it was much more straightforward and obvious.

It's funny that you think that. The moment I heard that line I said aloud to myself, "No, that won't be it. That's far too obvious. That's like the easy way out in any horror story set around an asylum."

As off-the-rails as it was, I appreciated that they stuck to their guns instead of making some obvious "fooled you!" ending.

I should rephrase: I didn't want it to be "you dreamed the whole thing... in your cell!", but more "you lost your sanity when you watched that brainwashing video, and everything involving the underground facility and the Walrider was part of a mass hallucination".

Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@minipato said:

Is...is that what it was supposed to be? I have to admit I did get a little confused - I did miss a bunch of notes (the ones you get from pointing the camera).

Yeah, the monster is a Nazi nanomachine g-g-g-ghost. Well, it's not a Nazi so much as it was created in large part from tech developed by Nazi scientists, and influenced/inspired/controlled by a monster of German folklore that drinks a person's blood through their nipples.

Stardog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to agree. That ending was pure and utter bullshit. I was really expecting and looking forward to making it out of the psychiatric hospital to some daylight setting and seeing some climatic story ending built around what was going on in there. After all the entire premise of the game was your trapped in the hospital and your goal is to escape right? Well you never get to escape, you spent all those hours playing that damn game to not escape. Worst ending of any video game I've ever played.

Caustic_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stardog1: I agree completely. What a cop-out by the developers. As soon as I saw the door open with the security standing there... (like they were just waiting for you to stroll right in) I gave a salute of two middle fingers way up into the air. I hope Amnesia:AMFP isn't this bad as well. The game was great otherwise.

crosspatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished Outlast and I agree that the ending sucked. I also agree with MiniPato.

I hate open-endedness, so it's not that I wanted that. Open-endedness is just an author's lazy way of not having to come up with a concrete storyline.

I had no idea what the hell the guy meant by "You've become the host!". It makes no sense, none of it does.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stardog1 said:

I have to agree. That ending was pure and utter bullshit. I was really expecting and looking forward to making it out of the psychiatric hospital to some daylight setting and seeing some climatic story ending built around what was going on in there. After all the entire premise of the game was your trapped in the hospital and your goal is to escape right? Well you never get to escape, you spent all those hours playing that damn game to not escape. Worst ending of any video game I've ever played.

You don't always win, not every ending has to be happy. you spent all those hours finding out what was going on then stopping the origin of walrider that became your goal, not escaping into a shining dawn where you'd be greeted by smiling inmates as they cheer you on as you ascend a flight of stairs to a private jet made of happiness and set off towards the horizon leaving a trail of pixie dust.

The game was dark, the ending was dark, also poorly written but I think that about the whole story so there you go.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.