Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Overwatch

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released May 23, 2016

A sci-fi multiplayer first-person shooter from Blizzard, in which players can choose from a wide range of Heroes with unique weapons and abilities. It was later discontinued in 2022 for the free-to-play sequel.

Am I tilting or is this game actively trying to troll me?

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm playing on PS4. I'm having a bad time.

So. At the start of this ranked season I placed at 2300 sr. Not great but not bad. I got to 2500 pretty quickly and was feeling really good about the game in general. Then I get a string of 3 matches in a row where multiple people leave causing my to drop rank pretty hard. This pissed me off but whatever, just bad luck right?

So the next match I play is at Nepal and we're about to win 3-0. Its pretty much a massacre, I'm on 52 eliminations and another guy on my team is probably the best Zenyatta player I've ever seen. Transcendence heals for days. Then the match ends with a message that the server is fucked and its moving us to a new game (side note: has anyone seen this happen before? Everyone just stopped moving and then poof, we're at the start of a new match). Again, this is annoying, but we're so much better than this other team that I'm fine with it, I'm sure we'll win anyway. So we're put on attack at Numbani and just completely shut down somehow. Didn't even get the first objective. Then when we change sides they curb stomp us. Took the first point in less than a minute. It doesn't take any of the previous aborted game into account and I lose rank again. Now I'm seething.

From that point I'm just put into games with the most inept teams. Hanzos that are allergic to the objective (seriously, at this point every time I see some pick Hanzo I get irrationally angry), Reapers that think they're playing team death match. No motherfucker wants to play as a healer, meaning either I do it or no one does. It's infuriating. To top it all off every enemy team seems to have a combination of the most aggressive, immortal Reinhardt and a Mercy with perpetually charged revives. I'm playing as well as I can and frequently getting multiple golds/POTG but it isn't enough. I've dropped from 2536 sr to 2050 sr. I literally haven't won a game since the one that took me to platinum.

So am I tilting or just having the most horrible luck? I'm on the verge of snapping the fucking disk here.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it may be in your best interest to take a break for a week.

Getting mad like that will NOT help your game and only makes things worse IMO.

Also, don't solo queue in competitive.

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're not wrong a bunch of us on the "what is Overwatch" community (a giant bomb one). Have avoided ranked matches whilst playing alone because it's based on your team and not your individual skills that rank you.

The first season I went into and I'll just say it, I'm not to bad at this game, I got put with level 10's so being a level 50 or so at the time it really infuriated me when I saw the other team with prestiged level 70's. This in turn took my rank Down to a level at which put me with players that weren't at my skill level once I had past (let's call it) the audition phase. So now I'm playing with inept teams and I just keep losing bringing my rank down and down even though I've probably done the most work in the team, heals, kills, everything.

Then the drop outs as you actually get a good game arrrrghhh so aggravating!.

So,no, you're not tilting the game has just the most dumb rank system I've ever seen.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@planetfunksquad: just the other day I had a 10 game losing streaks. 10 fucking games. It is extremely annoying, but you just gotta keep going.

I'm on ps4, feel free to add me GuEsTy_07

Don't play with mic most of the time but if you want somebody that isn't going to make stupid character picks or just rush in over and over to their deaths alone then add me. Currently sitting at around 2500, was 2800 but for that loss streak.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

This used to happen to me in both competitive and casual matches. I took a break and realized that I never wanted to play it. I ended up selling it because I don't think it's a fun game and I'd rather play anything else.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
    SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

Maybe it is better on PC but on ps4 this is not a game to be taken seriously, it's got that Blizzard hand holding and 'level playing field' that Blizzard do so well, I mean aim assist on a multiplayer shooter?

c'mon...

I think they make great games but other than Starcraft they are too soft around the edges to be truly competitive. That ofc doesn't stop them from being fun and worth spending time with, as long as you can enjoy them.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I haven't ranked for this season yet, but the last season ended in somewhat the same fashion for me. I was up at Level 53 feeling all good about my self then sudenly everything went east and I lost more or less every mach I was in, ending up in 48. I realzed the game was way more fun there, so I'm don't give a rats ass when playing the qualifying matches now. On PS4.

As for PC, I'm having a hard time even finding matches (about 5 mins every time) and leveling takes forever. I'm "stuck" at 22 and it's been that way for ages I feel.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

ELO Hell is real. I've lost 500 points since my first ranking and am 12-32 for the season.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By fatalbanana

My suggestion is not to play ranked unless you have a dedicated team to play with. The quality of games is far too inconsistent when playing alone to the point that playing ranked isn't worth it. Play unranked and have fun not taking it too seriously. If you don't have a team I'm sure there are some duders here on ps4 that will be glad to team up with you.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Answer before reading: Yes you are tilting.

Answer after reading: Yeah you got unlucky. Tilting probably is part of it, but any solo queuing experience is going to be somewhat of a diceroll. You are best off finding decent teammates to play with, or accepting that sometimes you are just gonna get fucked and it's not your fault. Take a breather and come back later.

It can be hard to do in the moment for sure, but try and take something out of a loss. Look for your own mistakes or things you did well, try and analyze your play and at least learn something even if the match spirals out of your control.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11  Edited By Cav829

It definitely sounds like you got super unlucky there. Remember, if someone leaves your game you can leave without penalty (you'll take a loss, but not a loss of ELO). That being said, the tilt is real. Like any online game, a bad string of games, especially over a series of days, will get on your nerves. Attack Junkrats and Widowmakers, McCrees and Hanzos who can't hit anything, that player still insisting Torbjorn is viable in competitive, etc: it's all part and parcel of the ELO Hell experience. I'd endorse trying to at least run a 3-stack to reduce your odds of getting stuck with "that player."

Feel free to add me on PS4 (Cav829). I haven't been playing much on console recently as I needed a bit of a break and have the game on PC now as well.

Getting mad at Hanzo players is perfectly rational. Friends don't let friends Hanzo. Please Hanzo responsibly.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I tend to step away after two or three loses in competitive and slide over to quick play or the weekly brawl, or when a game is lost over an incredibly baffling decision. I had a game yesterday at Ilios where literally the other five people on my team chased a Lucio all the way to the spawn point when we were at 90+%, leaving me alone. The rest of their team crushed me, capped, and won the game. It is best to just walk away at moments like that.

planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OK, quick update. I took a few days off and came back. I'm not one for grouping up with people cos I'm just not particularly social, so I ignored the advice to avoid solo queing. I know. I'm sorry. Anyway:

I have seen considerably less Hanzo fuckery (and even played with a Hanzo I would describe as *gasp* good). Team composition has been better, even if people do insist on playing attack Junkrat. I managed to claw back up to 2300-ish. I've still been getting put into teams made up of 5 year olds who think theyre playing COD while wearing boxing gloves but for the most part it's been tolerable.

But today friends I witnessed something that will probably go down as the absolute dumbest thing I have ever seen. 2-2 on Nepal, both teams at 99%. Both teams are just going for it. Our Zarya graviton surges, I self destruct for a quad kill but get merked by a Roadhog that managed to get behind me. Its cool. We're going to win.

Right?

RIGHT?

Nope. Half the team leaves the objective to chase the Roadhog, the other half leaves to chase a Tracer (seriously, DONT CHASE THE TRACER) overtime ticks down and the other team wins. All it would have taken was for one person to stay on the fucking objective. JUST ONE.

ijustwanttodie

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By AlexW00d

To the people complaining that ranked sucks cause you can't win 'cause your team is pulling you down', you realise the other team is the same skill ranking right? The enemy team has just as many people who think it's COD, just as many people playing blind or with blaring music or whilst watching Mexican soap operas on another TV. If you're better than your rank you'll win easy cause you've only got 5 of these idiots on your team and the enemy team has 6.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@alexw00d: Yes and, statistically, you should win half your matches, but some of us have luck so bad that whatever team you end up on there will at least one disconnect, 4 DPS and a Roadhog. When you're getting gold medals for damage and eliminations, as well as healing, as Lucio, there was NOTHING else you can do to save that team.

planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By planetfunksquad

@alexw00d said:

To the people complaining that ranked sucks cause you can't win 'cause your team is pulling you down', you realise the other team is the same skill ranking right? The enemy team has just as many people who think it's COD, just as many people playing blind or with blaring music or whilst watching Mexican soap operas on another TV. If you're better than your rank you'll win easy cause you've only got 5 of these idiots on your team and the enemy team has 6.

I placed at 2300, got up to 2500 very easily and had so many disconnects/bad groups that I went down to 2050 without winning a single game. At that point I've started going back up currently back where I started, zero dropouts up to now. And call this bragging if you want but even during the losing streak I was getting 3-5 golds in every match. You can say what you want but expecting me to carry groups of 4 after dropouts or carry as Lucio because no one else will play as a healer and also couldn't hit the broad side of an OG XBox is unrealistic. I am not the only person this is happening to. Matchmaking for solo players in this game is terribad and losing rank when people drop out is demoralising at best. I just feel ranked mode would be better served by taking invidual performance into account and I know I'm not alone.

"Play in a group then idiot!"

Yeah, well... shut up.

@alkusanagi said:

@alexw00d: Yes and, statistically, you should win half your matches, but some of us have luck so bad that whatever team you end up on there will at least one disconnect, 4 DPS and a Roadhog. When you're getting gold medals for damage and eliminations, as well as healing, as Lucio, there was NOTHING else you can do to save that team.

To add to that Im seeing increasing occasions where I'm solo queing, and getting matched with 5 other solo people against an enemy team thats 2 groups of three or 3 groups of 2 etc. Like, thats just a failure in matchmaking.

SpikeSpiegel00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By SpikeSpiegel00

I feel your pain, Had a similar experience recently, played really well for half the time, then dropped into a mach with some more or less low level players who didn't really care about the game picking silly classes then they just leave. :(

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this ranked stuff fun? Seems like it's completely opposite of what the game originally was and seems frustrating as hell like every other multiplayer shooter now.

planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: it is when you get a good team together. 2 good teams playing against each other has been consistantly exciting, win or lose. It's just that when you solo queue seemingly more than half the time you get grouped up with people who, for example, just want to play as Genji regardless of whether or not that's a good idea based on the composition of your team or the enemy team. They will refuse to switch off of that character regardless of how badly youre being crushed. So you end up in a team running 4 dps characters and a roadhog while you franticly try to pick up the slack as a healer. And for some reason in this situation the other team always has their shit together with perfect synergy. It's incredibly frustrating.

Obviously the answer to this is to get a group together who knows what they're doing, but antisocial motherfuckers like me reeeeeally don't want to do that.

So yeah, I really don't think it's worth it for solo players at all. But that's just me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.