Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Overwatch

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released May 23, 2016

A sci-fi multiplayer first-person shooter from Blizzard, in which players can choose from a wide range of Heroes with unique weapons and abilities. It was later discontinued in 2022 for the free-to-play sequel.

Blizzard Introduces Overwatch's Newest Character: Ana

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Per Kotaku, Blizzard has just unveiled their first new character for Overwatch since the game's release. Named Ana, a sniper that is focused on support and healing, she is the mother of a another character, Pharah.

What do you duders think?

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#MomsAreTough

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Awesome! Love the idea of a support sniper and it's great to have an older woman in the roster.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

The most fun part about Metal Gear Online was always putting people to sleep, so I'm a big fan of this.

Boniti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Curious to see how that buff works, seems like that's her ult. And is that pistol a sidearm? I'm guessing the sniper has a damage fire and an alt healing fire, which means she's got 2 weapons and one with alt fire which is cool cause I can't think of characters with that many abilities. Exciting to see more gameplay

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#MomsAreTough

I'm choosing to take this a reference to the very silly opening of FF 13 and that makes me very happy.

On topic: Even though I'm not in on Overwatch yet, this is the pace that updates are gonna need to happen for me to finally buy in. Though, more than new characters I would like to see new maps and game modes. But really they should just hurry up and release map making tools.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Also, here's a story trailer for those who are curious:

Loading Video...

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I don't even play the game but one of my favorite things is watching everyone on my TL lose their shit over cool OW stuff so this is great. Also can't wait for more fan art. Is Mercy really only 5 years older than Pharah? Huh.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm curious how she compares to Widowmaker. My first response was "if she's a sniper as well as having those support tools, why would you ever use Widowmaker instead of Ana?". Widowmaker is probably better close-range, but if that ever happens, you've already fucked up. I guess Widowmaker's ult makes the difference, that thing's pretty neat.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Total MILP.

Judge if you want but I stand firmly behind this post.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like a cool character but I'm also disappointed because it's another sniper I'll never use.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Apart from the sleep ability, she doesn't look very novel.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Did they give a date on when she's added?

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

As a support main player it is time for me to learn to snipe good because she looks rad as hell

Did they give a date on when she's added?

According to Gamespot she is going live on the PTR today so people can try her out there

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Sessh

I like her artstyle and more importantly she seems to have some pretty cool abilities. Her basic function is also just what I hoped it would be (she both heals and kills via sniping).

What’s with her voice work though? That slight lisp will drive me crazy if I have to hear it hundreds of times.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YASSSSSSSSSSSS

No Caption Provided

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool, really hope to get the details on her abilities soon.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gkhan said:

I'm curious how she compares to Widowmaker. My first response was "if she's a sniper as well as having those support tools, why would you ever use Widowmaker instead of Ana?". Widowmaker is probably better close-range, but if that ever happens, you've already fucked up. I guess Widowmaker's ult makes the difference, that thing's pretty neat.

She won't have Widowmakers charge on her sniper rifle, which is a major thing that makes her so deadly. I suspect even a headshot with Ana won't kill most heroes.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sessh said:

I like her artstyle and more importantly she seems to have some pretty cool abilities. Her basic function is also just what I hoped it would be (she both heals and kills via sniping).

What’s with her voice work though? That slight lisp will drive me crazy if I have to hear it hundreds of times.

Ana has a pretty typical accent for an older Egyptian woman.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Line of sight is a major obstacle in a lot of maps. I'm betting Ana will have a small health pool so putting her in a position to potentially heal her whole team will leave her pretty vulnerable to enemies. It's not hard to hit a sniper from far away with a non-sniper character. I'm excited to try her out nonetheless.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gkhan: A huge part of what makes Widow so dangerous is her huge damage output with her charged shots, meaning that she is always a threat to be conaidered. Without charged shots Ana will not only not insta kill most heroes, she might be even bullied into retreating by long range heroes such as Pharah or Hanzo that are traditionally very weak against Widow. On top of that the lack of the spider mine and the smg means she's much less viable as a solo threat.

theticktockman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By theticktockman

@gkhan: We also don't know what her movement options are yet. Widowmaker may end up being a lot more versatile for maps with sniper spots unreachable without the grapple (or jumpjet or other vertical boost). Maybe she'll just have a Hanzo clamber or something?

Really interested to see how she works out, especially in relation to Widowmaker. I feel like Ana may be a really great asset when playing with an organized team using voicechat and whatnot.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just a heads up but Gamestop is currently doing an Ana based stream. Apparently you can play as her on the PTR right now.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, my first reaction to the news was "why?". Was there anyone out there thinking "I really like Overwatch, but it just doesn't have any/enough characters I like" ? Like, there's nothing wrong with it, but it's one of the last things that would get me excited to jump back into the game.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zeik

@ares42 said:

To be honest, my first reaction to the news was "why?". Was there anyone out there thinking "I really like Overwatch, but it just doesn't have any/enough characters I like" ? Like, there's nothing wrong with it, but it's one of the last things that would get me excited to jump back into the game.

There are characters I like to play, but I can't say there are any healer/support I really love to play. (Unless you count Zarya.) So I absolutely welcome more options in that regard. If she was just another offensive sniper I'd be much less interested.

Anything that gets more people to try playing a healer is a good thing for the game.

VikingRk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By VikingRk

Yeah she's in on the public test region right now. Her primary fire and grenade heal team mates and damage enemies. It's not an alt fire thing. Played a few matches with her in the PTR Brawl (Only Ana and the Tanks are available). She definitely feels support focused. Not sure how her damage rates, but it doesn't feel too low. All the same you're not very mobile so rather than get in a fight you're going to want to hit the sleep button and get away. Also her ult seems like it could be really powerful. It reduces damage taken and ups damage so pairing it with a tank is a natural fit.

I really like her overall. It's be cool to see how she fits into the game after a week or so when she's more of a known quantity. I hope she's played because I think her abilities are really cool and feel surprisingly flexible.

@gkhan: We also don't know what her movement options are yet. Widowmaker may end up being a lot more versatile for maps with sniper spots unreachable without the grapple (or jumpjet or other vertical boost). Maybe she'll just have a Hanzo clamber or something?

Really interested to see how she works out, especially in relation to Widowmaker. I feel like Ana may be a really great asset when playing with an organized team using voicechat and whatnot.

As far as I can tell she doesn't have an option to quickly reach high ground or quick escape. Her sleep ability and self heal (the grenade) should offset that.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

She's like a female, Egyptian version of Big Boss. Tranq gun, eye patch, and grizzle voice. I can't wait to give her a try.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sessh said:

Ana has a pretty typical accent for an older Egyptian woman.

Oh, okay. I’m not familiar with Egyptian accents at all, so I didn’t notice it, but there’s still a slight lisp there. I mean that’s not part of the accent right?

VikingRk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:
    @ares42 said:

There are characters I like to play, but I can't say there are any healer/support I really love to play. (Unless you count Zarya.) So I absolutely welcome more options in that regard. If she was just another offensive sniper I'd be much less interested.

Yeah the game needs more options at support IMO. I love playing both Mercy and Lucio, but I play them A LOT because rarely do other people solo queueing want to play support. It just gets boring after awhile.

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the more important thing is the change to zenyata who is already very fun to play but wasn't very viable in most matches because of his health pool.

Played some Ana can't say she really seems that fun but im not a fan of snipers in general. That stun is so long if no one hits you, seems like 5 or more seconds...

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sessh: It isn't unheard of for people from Middle Eastern and South Asian countries to have a slight lisp when speaking in English. A prominent example is Pakistani-American comedian Kumail Nanjiani.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, she is Metal Gear as a heck!

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darth_navster: Huh, interesting. You learn something new every day. Thanks for letting me know.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AlKusanagi

I wonder if she will have any mobility tricks like wall-climbing or a higher jump.

Nothing about these sexy as fuck patch notes?

I need to take a shower after seeing those D.Va buffs. I could already put in work with her when she was "bad," but now... Prepare for the Waifupocalype!

Edit: Went ahead and started a new thread for the notes.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I absolutely love the character conceit and welcome more support characters to play.

Gotta admit, she looks like really tough to play well though.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this certainly makes the Pharmercy weird.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

A nice overview of the new character just popped up in my you tube subscriptions, so I thought I'd share it here.

Loading Video...

Looks like a fun character. I especially like the idea of putting opponents to sleep.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weirder I'd say. Also (source unknown):

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@blackout62 said:

Weirder I'd say. Also (source unknown):

I had no idea what that word meant, so I had to turn to google. Yeah. That's not exactly a word you'd find in the dictionary.

So who is wanting this sort of thing from these characters, anyhow? Straight men who think the whole girl-girl thing is hot? Actual lesbians? A mix of both?

Call me crazy, but I've never been one to create backstories or relationships for video game characters.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@spaceinsomniac: started out as a useful gameplay tip where a Mercy paired with Pharah can use her ability to practically fly across the map, covering Pharah with heals/damage. Then of course the internet fandom decided to escalate this pairing and now it has its own niche in head-canon for some people. I don't get it either, but that goes to show you how popular this game's gotten that there are actual identifiable sub-sets of Overwatch fandom now.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By StarvingGamer

@spaceinsomniac: Actually I see queer OW shipping, of Pharmercy in particular, from all sorts of people across the gender/sexuality spectrum.

No Caption Provided

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how old is she suppose to be? I know people who are 35 who look worse then her

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:

In her 50's I would assume.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I like the look of the character so far: both mechanically and design wise. Now we just need a new map for two.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:
    @crithon said:

In her 50's I would assume.

so it's a fantasy

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.