Console players- How good are you with Widowmaker?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been playing a LOT of Widowmaker lately on PS4 and I feel like I'm getting better...I think?

I know aiming with a controller can feel like cutting steak with a butter knife when it comes to online due to real players making unpredictable movements but the fact of the matter is we have a sniper in this game. My skill with her feels kind of hit or miss. Some games I get a lot of kills and sometimes not. Mainly she's fantastic for Torby and Bastion but as far as hitting the thinner targets I have trouble.

Does anyone main Widowmaker? What's your sensitivity? Are you good with her? Tell us your secrets

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can't really 'main' anybody. As to your question, I'm absolutely shocking with her. I just can not aim with the accuracy needed for consistent head shots with the controller. Besides, Widowmaker isn't in a great spot right now, even more so on console.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'd say I had moments where I've been absolutely wrecking shit with every character in this game except for Widowmaker

Dispossession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm terrible with Widowmaker. My snipes feel too off, and I get melted every time I get close to an enemy. She's cool to do a casual run with to see what you can do in one life, but she's not really apart of my starting five.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I almost never play with widowmaker or hanzo. Unless you're getting a crap ton of kills and dominating you might as well not exist on your team. I very rarely saw good snipers on console. On pc they're a bit of a pain but usually still a non factor

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By TobbRobb

I've stubbornly practiced my accuraccy so I can play her if needed, and I can finally do pretty alright with her in a pinch.... On PC. I've tried sniping with a gamepad and it feels like I have hams for hands. It's so much more difficult for me it's not even comparable.

That said, you will absolutely get better with it if you practice. There are undeniable benefits to aiming with a mouse, but with enough time invested and practice people have gotten insanely good with gamepads. Dark Souls has been beaten with Donkey Kong bongoes, and you can hit that out of mech Dva with your sniper! Being a powerful sniper on console can sneakily be ofgreat benefit to you, since generally less people will have experience combating it. No one expects good aim where previously there was none. XD Seems like a pretty fun niche to fill if you go all in for it!

IVDAMKE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has Blizzard released any stats on pick rates for each respective platform? I'd find it interesting.

Yesiamaduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Yesiamaduck

@ivdamke said:

Has Blizzard released any stats on pick rates for each respective platform? I'd find it interesting.

https://watcher.gg/heroes

Widowmaker stuck with lowest pickrate on all platforms, by quite some distance.

Widowmaker is the only character in the game I have zero interest in playing. I've tried every character and the ONLY one I've had trouble with getting anything reaching an acceptable performance with, like ever, is Widowmaker. She feels useless, and increasingly useless as time goes on, she was marginally effective at the start before people knew the maps but now she is a spotter and nothing more.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I main Widowmaker and am pretty good with her I'd say. I wouldn't really know how to prove that aside from saying that I'm the only person I know who's gotten many POTGs with her. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else get a POTG with her outside of Youtubers, and even then it's been on PC for the most part.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In such a fast paced game like Overwatch where the fights are quick and frantic, a sniper like Widowmaker is all but useless.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frodobaggins: I disagree. I've single handedly led my team to victory multiple times by picking off 3 or 4 of the opposing teams players, allowing our team to make a final push and finish off the match. Just because you aren't good with her doesn't mean she isn't useful.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquidprince: I disagree. She is most definatly bottom tier at the moment. She is so easy to counter, and with the current meta (before the nerf at least) you were guaranteed to face a Genji which obviously isn't going to end well for Widow.

It's great that you've managed to win a few games for your team as her but she is objectively a bad pick. I don't know what level you play at, but at the top you never see Widow because she is next to useless like I said. Obviously every hero can be played well and can pull out moments to win a game but I do honestly think there is much better picks than Widow.

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I tried numerous times to get better as her, before and after her nerfs, but even when I was doing okay, I always felt like I could be contributing way more as another hero. There is a pretty good reason she barely gets used seriously though. Precision aiming on console in this game never really feels good anyway. I felt way better sniping in Destiny.

@liquidprince: I don't doubt your skill playing her, but you have to admit that right now she is an extremely hard-to-use hero that your average console player wouldn't be very useful with, especially compared to more mobile and more consistent DPS heroes that have lower skill ceilings. You just don't see her getting used either in 60+ ranked play and pro competition on PC.

I'd be interested in seeing your stats as Widowmaker through overbuff.com or masteroverwatch.com

Just plug in your PSN/XBL tag to have your stats updated and you can share them to the world.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frodobaggins: @josephknows: Oh, I definitely didn't say she was top tier, in fact she's probably one of the hardest heroes to use. But if you can get good with her, she can be very useful. The changes I would make to her to make a more reliable pick would be that her scope charges a bit faster, about as fast as Hanzo's arrow charge in order to counter the damage reduction she received which means she can no longer kill squishy but fast characters like Tracer in one body shot. That and reduce the cool down of her grapple to six seconds.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I go Widowmaker for those Torbjörn turrets noone else seems to get then change back to whatever I should be. I really struggle with snipers in general, console and PC both. When Ana came along I think Widowmaker got useless. Spotting enemies and throwing that poisonous mine that doesn't seem to really do anything is less usefull than Ana's abilities.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lots of people seem to think they should un-nerf her and I agree. Players have gotten better, Zenyatta has more shields...The problems before are gone.

makewidowmakerusefulagain

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: considering how fast characters like Tracer and Zenyatta can move it made perfect sense that a fully charged body shot could take them out. So yeah, I'd take a buff back to how it was. I was planning on uploading some of my games if anyone was interested in seeing them. They aren't some mind blowing games, but I do get quite a few clutch plays.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquidprince: Zenyatta is one of the Slowest characters in the game, when not Ulting of course. Sure, let's have a look at a couple games.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cookiemonster  Online

Widowmaker just doesn't bring much to the table. I would much rather use ana, who can fire off shots quicker, heal her own team, cause health/splash damage and put people ult-ing to sleep.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: @frodobaggins:So looking through my saved videos, I didn't have that many full games saved. But I did have the one below, and while it's not the best indication of what a good Widow can do, it's at least decent I think. Otherwise my other videos would just be a series of POTGs that I've saved. Before you reply, I already realize that there are plenty of characters that I could play and get the same results or better with, but being able to support the team with a character that is now on the weak side is pretty satisfying, especially when you line up that perfect headshot.

Loading Video...

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FrodoBaggins

@liquidprince: some nice head shots there. The problem is I think we're kind of discussing two different spectrums of play. It's hard to get a good gist of anything during quick play to be honest.

Maybe I shouldn't have called Widowmaker useless before, however I do truly believe that in higher tier competative play she has no place.

As you said, there are other hero's that could do a more efficient job, so I think we are kind of in agreement.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LiquidPrince

@frodobaggins: the point I was trying to make is that even though Widowmaker is in a weaker place right now and is over nerfed, in the right hands she can still make a dent. She isn't useless even in higher end competitive play, just more difficult to use, which is why people flock to the easier characters, expecially on consoles.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquidprince: I understand, and I agree that every hero can make some kind of impact if played well enough. However, my point, and the reason I called Widowmaker useless to begin with, is because there are numerous hero's that are simply put much better picks than Widowmaker. I don't know how else to put it, but it's coming from experience playing 100+ hours of competative at rank 69. I think i would call her useless, much like the rest of the defense hero's (save perhaps Junkrat). But if you think I'm wrong fair enough. You certainly have a knack for sniping so don't let me discourage you.

haxdax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only character I have spent 0 time playing is Widowmaker. Just not interested in her at all. But Ana is my favorite to play as now. I'm somehow really good at her and its super fun to play as her. Active heals is so much more fun than the other healers for me. I'm sure I'd be OK as Widowmaker but I'm just not interested in playing her at all. BTW I play on PC.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ShadyPingu

I'm awful with Widowmaker, Hanzo and Ana. I think I have 20 minutes played between them. Surely I'd improve with practice, but in the meantime I'd just feel like I was letting my team down.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LiquidPrince

@encephalon: Hanzo is the easier sniper to use. The hit boxes for his arrows are a lot larger then those for Widow, so if you want to play something a bit easier, where you can just shoot random arrows and get a decent amount of kills, he's your guy. As for Ana, I barely count her as a sniper. She is most effective when she's next to her other teammates hip firing healing darts into their backs and lobbing healing grenades.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27 alex  Staff  Online

There are two maps I feel like I can play Widowmaker effectively on. Hanamura and Route 66. Anywhere else, I don't feel like I have a good handle on how to use her well.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LiquidPrince

@alex: That's crazy because those two maps are probably the ones I have the most trouble on.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Capum15

I think I've picked her...twice, maybe three times? in all my playtime on PS4 which is probably over 50 hours now.

I also just ended up being on the payload like 80% of the time using SMG mode, because I can't hit worth shit when trying to actually snipe.

Hanzo is a different story. I can actually do alright with longer range fights (Pharah is still a pain for me though) thanks to the hitbox, medium/close range gets liberal use of Scatter arrows to one-shot people, and Sonar is invaluable. I am definitely looking forward to firing actual tree trunks again, especially with the speed boost on firing/moving while notched, because that sounds dumb and great.

And I just hip fire spam shots as Anna, which tends to work well most of the time (both as damage and healing), while McCree was basically a sniper for a glorious week or so, before they took his range back down, and I did alright with him.

But yeah, I didn't get around to trying Widow before the nerf, and afterwards those few matches were enough to make me feel worthless with her. My friend can rock faces with her, though. Multiple matches he would annihilate people constantly and basically make it impossible for the team to group up and push. I think her and Genji are my least played, but I haven't given ninja man an actual shot yet (only time played was one all-Genji match near launch, which was terrible/hilarious).

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cookiemonster  Online

@encephalon: I hate playing with sniper classes in games, but Ana is a lot of fun to play with. Her shots fire quickly, and you can heal your own teammates by shooting at them.

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Absolutely terrible, my accuracy with her is probably around 10% and most of that is body shots. I have had a couple good games with her on occasion, though. Enough to have both her trophies (smooth as silk is so hard to get on console!)

Charlotte_Cobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Charlotte_Cobb

I have a total of nine hours on Widowmaker for Quick Play and three hours and twenty eight minutes over all the competitive seasons (I never played season 1). I played a lot of Widowmaker when the game first released but got bored of her quite quickly, even more when they nerfed her weapon damage. But, I've started playing as Widowmaker more sinse the start of this year and I feel i have drastically improved. My sensitivity settings are: 85 on both horizontal and vertical sensitivity, and 65 for scoped sensitivity. Also note that I have changed my reticle to a dot in green.

Looking at my statistics, I have a total of 690 critical hits with an average of 9 per game, the most critical hits I've ever had in a game was 41. I have a total of 557 final blows and 811 eliminations, with an average of 10.05 eliminations per game. My average scope accuracy is 52%.

I certainly think Widowmaker is one of those characters people seem to just ignore and can definitely be pretty boring when you first start playing her a lot. But, you have to play her a lot to get better at her, but once you have she's definate more fun to play as and can improve your aim for more than just one other character in the game. Hitting those headshots as Widowmaker is honestly one of the most satisfying things in the game, especially flick shots.

CruxstarZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CruxstarZ

Hello Frosty, I'm Currently top 1% in all categories on Widowmaker on PS4 platform. I play at 100 Sensitivity Vertical, Horizontal and Scoped; Exponential Ramp for aim Technique/ 0 scope smoothing Sensitivity . However, knowing my aim Sensitivity settings isn't really the main secret to playing well with Widowmaker on Console

No, I don't use mouse and keyboard, or joystick enhancers; I just use a regular PS4 controller.

She's technically one of the strongest DPS characters still even on console, as long as you make your shots.

FYI, I have 561 hours on Widowmaker on PS4.

Do you have to play that many hours to be a useful Widowmaker? No you don't.

I understand it's late to reply to this post but if you're still interested, well here you go xP

if you have anymore questions you can add me on PS4 IGN is CruxstarZ

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.