Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Overwatch

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released May 23, 2016

A sci-fi multiplayer first-person shooter from Blizzard, in which players can choose from a wide range of Heroes with unique weapons and abilities. It was later discontinued in 2022 for the free-to-play sequel.

Is Overwatch Becoming Unplayable?

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

As the title says, is this game becoming unplayable for anyone else? I'm not trying to sound like some try hard I have to always do good. I find great fun even in matches I lose, or that is to say I used to. But for the last few days, maybe a week, every single time I boot up the game on PS4, whether it's competitive or not I constantly find myself in matches with trolls, either on my team or not.

I'm not talking the usual of people not synicing up with team composition or running around playing it like it's a generic shooter. That was too be expected and is usually hit or miss since the game launched. No I mean literal trolls. I just finished a match where for the entire match we had two Zarya's, both sitting in the base, shooting at the theater screen the entire time. It's obvious they did what they did absolutely to intentionally troll. I began to find more and more of this in the competitive mode, obviously people trying to take shots at anyone who takes the game even remotely seriously.

At the end of the day it's just a video game, and I'm not going to seriously lose sleep over it. However that being said your not an asshole just because you want to have a fun competitive game of a shooter like this. It's team based, and your not always going to get people who understand that, and I can live with that. But this level of trolling is something I've begun to see more and more frequently, and it literally makes the game meaningless for me. Unless I'm playing with my usual group of friends, there is just no fun in solo queing when you encounter this level of stuff. I don't know if there is a solution to it, and it's generally a result of a game getting large and popular so these type of trolls target it, but seriously.

Anyways, anyone else have any similar stories or beginning to experience the community of the game being more the issue than the game itself?

n00bs7ay3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By n00bs7ay3r

I have played around 90 hours of Overwatch on PS4, the vast majority of which has been solo queue, and I could count the number of trolls I have encountered on one hand. I have definitely not found it to be so frequent as to ruin my enjoyment of the game.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a common thing in competitive modes in shooters. Not sure if it was the Zarya players intention but in CS:GO for example people will troll and intentionally not contribute so they can purposefully de-rank themselves. When they get to a low enough rank they start playing properly again to ruin lesser ranked players fun. That's just how it is, every game is like that if there's a ranked mode especially popular ones.

Avatar image for deactivated-5879a8792e775
    deactivated-5879a8792e775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing F2P Dirty Bomb. Successfully scratches the itch for Overwatch and CS:GO. I actually put $40 into DB and I don't regret it. I've played DB more than Overwatch

Immunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Absolutely, I uninstalled the game on my PC a couple weeks ago because I got fed up with the shitty community. I wouldn't say I ran into a ton of trolls, but rather people just being assholes. I finally decided to quit after trying to play Ana in competitive and having people on my team react in the shittiest ways possible. This was after playing her for at least 6 or 7 hours in quick play mind you, so I wasn't jumping in blind.

People have generally started to figure the game out and as a result, everybody thinks they're an expert leading to everyone harshly judging anyone else's perceived misplays. This has happened with every competitive game in the past and it will happen with all future ones.

I had a high tolerance for this garbage when I was younger and I was contributing to some of it, but I've grown out of that and my patience for it has worn thin. I'm not sure I'll be able to enjoy competitive multiplayer stuff the same way that I used to because of my intolerance for toxic communities. It sucks, but there are other cool experiences to be had in other genres. As always, if you have cool, like-minded people to play with you'll have a much better time, but you either need to have that already or take the time to find it. Not everyone is willing to do that.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ivdamke said:

That's a common thing in competitive modes in shooters. Not sure if it was the Zarya players intention but in CS:GO for example people will troll and intentionally not contribute so they can purposefully de-rank themselves. When they get to a low enough rank they start playing properly again to ruin lesser ranked players fun. That's just how it is, every game is like that if there's a ranked mode especially popular ones.

People always say that, but I have like 2,500 hours in CS:GO and can't remember ever really seeing that. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I'm not sure it is as widespread as some people say. You do get plenty of dipshits and idiots though.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've played 60hours on ps4 and not had one negative encounter.

sonofa2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play on PS4, and have only had one game in Quick Play that I can remember where we had a troll sit in the spawn shooting the wall. I'll occasionally see the troll team composition, but that's not as annoying, as even bad team compositions can win. In competitive, I haven't experienced any trolling since the 1 hero limit patch.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

15 hours on PS4, and since I play solo without mics it's been nothing but positive.

I go in, do the Hello message, and we hop around until it's time for business.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I haven't played in a 2 weeks, but all the time I've played has been grief/insult/trolling free. Not even any teabagging. One of the less toxic online experiences I've had. Just a few dudes whose skill level surpasses mine significantly, leading to a somewhat poor game.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

30 hours and nothing like that for me in quick play or competitive on pc. Competitive is definitely where the jerks do seem to be though.

Just take a break from the game, like a week off or so, I think you've been getting unlucky.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had one incident in competative other day where we lost first match on control point map and next match out Mei locks us in spawn room with ice wall.

Other than that it's been fine on ps4 for me.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@e30bmw said:
    @ivdamke said:

People always say that, but I have like 2,500 hours in CS:GO and can't remember ever really seeing that. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I'm not sure it is as widespread as some people say. You do get plenty of dipshits and idiots though.

It definitely happens, but it's just not as obvious. If they were just gonna afk in base and shoot at a billboard or whatever OP is saying they'd just get kicked from the game, so they have to low key play like shit.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It wasn't bad at first, but I've noticed a marked uptick in the last week or so. It's mostly people just finding an out of the way spot to park and sitting there while the clock runs out.

My suspicion is that the increase might be related to the Olympic event that's being run. People want to grind out loot boxes but not actually invest effort, so if you just enter a match and stand around you get XP for the match length without having to do anything. The really shitty part in all of this is there doesn't seem to be a way to report players on the PS4, so you don't even feel like you're able to do anything to remedy it. I think it'll be fine once the event passes and people aren't so obsessed with trying to get limited time items.

Actually, my bigger problems with the game center around some general balance stuff. It isn't enough to make me want to stop playing, but there are issues that definitely lower my enjoyment. Personally, I'd really like to see the "no hero duplication" change come over to Quick Play, as I'm sick of seeing teams with 3 D. Vas, 2 Reapers and a Lucio, etc.

I'd also think they need to completely redo the way scoring is handled in Control map modes. I don't know how it is in competitive, but in quick play the team that initially controls the point eventually wins that point. Easily 85-90% of the time or so. It really feels like there's no point in even continuing a round after the initial capture - by the time one team respawns and reorganizes itself to assault the point, the other team has at least 30-40% control, which amount to an overwhelming lead most of the time.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The only bad experience I've had was when I matched into a pre-made vs. pre-made quick play with all level 300 or so players as a level 11 (I recently started over on PC from PS4). We were attacking El Dorado so I played my best character, Reinhardt. I'd like to think I'm generally pretty good at keeping my team alive and getting kills while pushing the payload, but sometimes you have to adapt to the situation. There was an Ana on the pre-made on my team who kept ulting me, which was an awful idea as the opposing team was 2 D.va, 2 Junkrat, Widowmaker, and Ana. Obviously it would be impossible for me to capitalize as Rein on the nano boost, but every time I didn't drop shield and run forward blindly to die they'd all cuss me out and flip out about how I could be so "bad". We rolled over the other team and won, I got gold objective time and objective kills, and got the only end card with 28k damage blocked. I got both Rein achievements in that one game, but because I didn't help this Ana get assists they all flipped out and told me "Some day you'll learn how to play." All my other matches have been really fun and much better than console, so sometimes you'll find you just run into jerks.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overwatch has turned into the League of Legends of fps games. I like it and all, but it's obvious Blizzard wants that hardcore competitive player base which just makes the pc scene rough.

It's gotten to the point where solo pigging just ends in day drinking for me, or I go tracer because I may as well get some practice on a character I don't play.

Id love to see Blizzard implement a reputation system where I can prioritize non-asshole/non-bar league softball "coaches" versus my apparent skill based on playtime.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

playing on pc. i've had one pretty younger sounding guy on one game sorta barking orders at us which got a little annoying even though he wasn't being a troll and probably meant well. and there are the ones who insist on a healer/tank/whatevs when if they think it's so necessary they can just go ahead and take that position themselves (as i so often do with healer as much as i love lucio <_< ). but no outright douches really. haven't seen guys trying to run out the clock doing nothing either, but honestly i haven't played too much recently.

i do feel like i could be better in general skillwise (definitely, my k/d is in the shitter not that it should matter too much), and better with coordinating with the team (have a mic but rarely use it).

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It hasn't been people blatantly ruining games for me yet, but since competitive came out everyone is an expert and just wants to make me have a shitty time if I mess up at all. Really shitty for someone whos been playing casually since launch and been having a good time, but isn't great at the game.

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I only had one troll moment on PS4. Where two Meis kept putting up walls to keep us out of an objective. But that's not really that bad.

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By andrew2696

I just started playing again on Xbox One after a break and I haven't really had any noteworthy negative experience. It's rare that I even get anyone on mic and even then I don't seem to find any negative gameplay behaviour.

I play with total strangers and only really quick play though.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like the PC has garnered the worse player based I have a gaming PC but I'm glad I bought this on ps4 because saw the competitive aspects hitting the PC side more than the console side.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beefygrandmole: Meis on your team or on the opposing team? Because that's what they're supposed to do

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

One match I played there was a kid who sounded about 13, and he was clearly recording a YouTube video about Ana. Every time a new match started he'd for some reason talk into his Xbox headset despite no one else on the team doing so, and he was just repeating a pre-planned spiel about why he liked Ana and a bunch of other nonsense. It was great.

I've played like 30 hours always jumping in solo and that kid has been as annoying as it's gotten, which really wasn't that bad. So no, not unplayable.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quid_pro_bono: I have seen a Mei, on my own team, block the main exit when a match is starting on multiple occasions. Sure, we can all just run around to a different exit, but what the fuck?

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monetarydread: I've seen that a handful of times. Assholes gonna asshole, I guess? I don't really understand the point of fucking your own team over.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

That hasn't been my experience on PC. There have been some trolls, like anything else, but I've actually noticed a surprising amount of nice random people that are keeping cool even when losing, still trying to guide the team to victory and sync up etc. I've actually probably ran into a lot more civil (or quiet) people than I have shitheads.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

It's been great ever since I started every session with turning off both chats. I know enough about team composition to get by the times I'm invested, while it's nice to not have to hear someone make a fuss if I want to play a specific character or just experiment.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WheresDerrick

I stopped playing because it has just become stale; I find no enjoyment out of competitive because frankly I'm 20 levels higher than all my friends I play with and joining solo is a hit or miss of either crazy skilled teammates or people that seem like they just installed it for the first time.

The lack of maps and modes is also a factor, lack of modes most of all; Lucioball is new but I find it really slow and dull and only ever played it twice.

I was almost level 60 for experience so I put in quite a number of hours, and frankly the number of maps and modes is too limited for me right now. I'll probably jump back in in another year.

Also yeah, Mei is the most obnoxious character, whether she is an enemy or a teammate; too many times I see teammate Meis put an ice wall up immediately after doors open and just see her outline running back still looking at everyone that is trapped.

Bookoo327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seemed like there were a lot of people just playing joke comps right when Competitive came out, but now it seems like normal for quick play mode.

I played competitive for a bit, but I get frustrated with teammates not working together and basically getting steamrolled. A friend and I were hesitant to do it because we didn't want to get yelled at by a bunch of people who played it, but then it turns out we were the ones trying to get people to talk and work together.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#31  Edited By Cav829

I wrote about the game today in a blog and touched on this a bit.

I have played 83 hours on PS4 and am at level 97 or 98. Trolling has not been much of an issue. I have kept chat off for the most part, which keeps some of the toxicity at bay. Maybe in one game we had a Symmetra put her teleporter going into a pit. That was about it. To me, the matchmaking issues are of greater concern. Maybe once a week I get stuck in a set of 5-10 games where my team mostly gets stomped until my MMR gets "reset."

The problem with players looking down at some character picks is certainly real, though. But when I see say a team on attack running multiple snipers and a Bastion, I take it as an opportunity to practice as lesser used characters.

PaulKemp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No way near unplayable on pc by any means, but there are a lot of idiots out there. People just dont want to communicate. I have the attitude to be "SUPER POSITIVE" and calling everyone friends at the start of the match and using lots of smileys. When I am friendly to someone, they have a hard time beeing salty back. But from time to time, someone gets to me, and its not pretty. But, not unplayable. Still fun as hell.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've run into several toxic players, but I can't say I've ever run into trolls before, and thank god for that.

The only issue I really have with the game is how stale it's beginning to feel. I think the 6v6 competitive gameplay is really just wearing me out. I can't play this game casually anymore since I'm at level 70, and at that level you're generally against people who know what the fuck they're doing, so you need to create a composition and stick with it and make sure to play as a team and fucking blah. In TF2 I could join a 16v16 map and play casually and not have to worry if I wasn't contributing to the team, since my actions amounted to a much smaller percentage of my team's overall rating, so I could feel comfortable playing characters I wasn't very good with. In Overwatch you get these great passive aggressive comments like, "Did our Genji even contribute to that fight?" No fuckass, I was just prancing around the map like an asshole. Sorry I'm not good with a hero I barely get to fucking play because dipshits like you refuse to roll tanks and supports.

Avatar image for deactivated-61f8244d70470
    deactivated-61f8244d70470

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

As someone that has played Team Fortress 2 extensively on PC. This kind of behavior is significantly more common on the PC platform.

There is a lot of bleed-over between Team Fortress 2 and Overwatch so they attract the same kind of players. But so far everything has been smooth playing on console.

There was one instance where some guy was just spewing hate through a mic. I've had the team chat off since then, and everything has been dandy otherwise.

Klarion18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I'm sure there's a mod to automatically shoot forward so you get lootbox rewards while AFK.

The user would get banned after doing it too long, but there's always more people to try it out.

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone that has played Team Fortress 2 extensively on PC. This kind of behavior is significantly more common on the PC platform.

It isn't more common because of PC, it's more common when the casual players start checking out which holds true for console games too.

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I've only had two experiences where teammates in competitive were being assholes. One was a player in KOTH that just stayed hidden in one spot shooting at nothing and another time it was a group of 3 literally just jumping to their deaths over and over. Infuriating shit, but I've already sunk over a hundred hours in the game and it's mostly been fine with regards to team behavior.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't had any bad experiences in the last couple days to be honest. I'm on pc and mainly just play quick match to unwind after a long day. There have been some people who are just genuinely bad at the game, but i have not seen anyone incredibly toxic like I've experienced playing mobas. I'm assuming most of those people are over in ranked.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played 60hours on ps4 and not had one negative encounter.

its been shocking actually. Ive been killed a couple times but nothing where I felt like I was being screwed over.

I dont play competitive though it sounds based on the OP thats what mode is for him

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quid_pro_bono: I have seen a Mei, on my own team, block the main exit when a match is starting on multiple occasions. Sure, we can all just run around to a different exit, but what the fuck?

I've seen this a couple of times. I assumed it was because defenders have a nasty habit of sitting outside the main exit and completely locking it down at the beginning of match types where they are allowed out first.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@monetarydread said:

I've seen this a couple of times. I assumed it was because defenders have a nasty habit of sitting outside the main exit and completely locking it down at the beginning of match types where they are allowed out first.

Enemy Mei ice walls are red, friendly ice walls are blue.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: I know. I mean that I assumed the Mei on my team was doing it to stop everyone getting cut down in the first 5 seconds?

I mean, it didn't seem like a massively effective strategy but I guess I just think the best of people

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: I know. I mean that I assumed the Mei on my team was doing it to stop everyone getting cut down in the first 5 seconds?

I mean, it didn't seem like a massively effective strategy but I guess I just think the best of people

If it isn't a person being a troll, I always assumed it was them just goofing off in the same way that I spam D.Va's dance emote. The problem is that it usually happens (my team because it is blue, not red) on the last second or two before we are supposed to start. Because of the timing, I can't imagine it being anything other than a troll. Its weird, I have seen it twice since I wrote my original post, it feels like there is a 25% chance that the exit will be blocked if there is a Mei playing with me.... I am sure if I actually wrote down how many times it happened it wouldn't be so extreme, but as far as I am concerned, once is too many.
    I have actually started reporting it as harassment everytime a Mei does that now.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On PC there are some pretty toxic people that try to antagonize people on the other team on the chat. but they're not the majority thankfully. Pretty sick of the the quick game matches were my team thinks its funny still to be a whole team of the same character.... Why is this even a thing still? This game brings out the worst in people and more so than in any other FPS I feel. Even CSGO wasn't this infuriating.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The closest thing to trolling I've experienced is a Mei on your own team constantly blocking your path on purpose.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.