Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Overwatch

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released May 23, 2016

A sci-fi multiplayer first-person shooter from Blizzard, in which players can choose from a wide range of Heroes with unique weapons and abilities. It was later discontinued in 2022 for the free-to-play sequel.

(Overwatch League discussion) - Stage 1 ends - London Spits fire on the competition

• 53 results
    Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan
    No Caption Provided

(Edited the thread to make it more suitable for League discussion going forward)

Stage 1 is now finished (Individual results below)

and after a bout betweens the final 3 teams London Spitfire came out on top. London's climb began that day with an initial loss by the very team they would face again mere hours later, New York Excelsior. The fight to play against Excelsior would first be the against the Houston Outlaws where Spitfire took a 3 - 1 lead. 3 - 2 was the final score between Spitfire and Excelsior.

The Overwatch League starts back up and Stage 2 begins on Wednesday February 21; 1 week away from the time of this edit.

Here is a link to the full schedule

Per the Overwatch league website

"Matches in the Atlantic and Pacific Divisions will play out live from the Blizzard Arena each Wednesday through Saturday. Though the season is divided into four stages, wins and losses will count towards teams' full-season records and all-important seeding for the postseason. On the last Saturday of each stage, the top teams will compete for hefty bonuses and the title of stage winner."

The 12 teams competing in the Overwatch League for 2018
    The 12 teams competing in the Overwatch League for 2018

Stage 1:

Week 1 results

With Week 1 of Stage 1 over we conclude an exciting set of matches where we saw quite a few one sided takedowns. The fan favorite Dallas Fuel crumbled in their first battle with the behemoth Seoul Dynasty and later fell to the Los angeles Valiants as well.

New York Excelsior and Seoul Dynasty came out on top resulting in wins for both their showings; firmly establishing themselves as the teams to beat going forward.

No Caption Provided

Week 2 results

No Caption Provided

Week 3 results

No Caption Provided

Week 4 results

No Caption Provided

Week 5 results (Final of Stage 1)

No Caption Provided

(Original post)

A huge catalog of Overwatch league skins have been released. There are 12 teams, each with their own colors to show off for all 26 heroes. That works out to 312 new skins total; they are effectively pallet swaps for the default skins. By logging in between now and February 13 you'll get 100 free League tokens; just enough to get you 1 skin for you favorite hero. This is not random; you choose a specific jersey of your liking. You can also sign up with your blizzard account email to receive another 100 tokens for free. You have until January 31 to receive these.

(Edit: I believe these will be distributed at a later date.)

(Edit 2: The tokens received through the email sign up should now be available.)

Additionally there is a pricing tier where you can obtain these tokens for real money (You saw this coming I'm sure).

Here is the pricing breakout of the league tokens and their bundle prices (USD). Remember, 100 tokens gets you 1 skin. I honestly don't think anyone expected to collect all of these, so I'm fine with them offering them for people to knab for their mains, representing their favorite teams (or just for which color schemes they find most stylish)

• 100 – $4.99
    • 200 – $9.99
    • 400 – $19.99
    • 900 – $39.99
    • 2600 – $99.99
    A few examples
    A few examples

Blizzard is pushing their tournament hard as always and also put up a ton of merchandise in their store offering a lot of options to support your favorite team.

What's your favorite team/color schemes and for which characters? Post below what you ended up getting with your free tokens. I got the above Winston skin (Houston Outlaws) and Zenyatta's (Seoul Dynasty) skin. They look pretty sharp.

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan
    FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It confused me when overwatch league popped up on the menu after the winter event. is this basically like how people watch their favorite football team and stuff? us regular people don't actually participate in the overwatch league, right?

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: Overwatch League is very much like when people watch football and stuff; it's E-sports brah! I've been watching the Overwatch tournaments since around late 2016 if I recall correctly. I usually skip the early stuff and check back in around the playoffs. Not sure I would be considered a "regular" person when it comes to Overwatch though. I've been playing fairly consistently since it's launch and have over 430 hours in it at this point.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im actually SUPER EXCITED about the league now it's here. I think I'm going to watch a good majority of it, probably rooting for Seoul Dynasty and Dallas Fuel.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FrostyRyan

@themanwithnoplan: I have about as many hours as you so I guess I'm not normal either, hah

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It should also be noted that currently the only way to get the new skins is with real money(besides the single free one you get). I know some of it goes to the teams...but fuck you Blizzard, nothing makes me angrier about video games these days then microtransactions added in post release.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Overwatch League is Blizzard's huge push towards eSports becoming more mainstream. Each of the 12 teams in the league had a 20 million dollar buy-in fee and have been named after different cities around the world. They currently have 350k viewers on twitch for the first game!

Personally, I am supporting Dallas Fuel. I'm born and raised in London but it is super disappointing to see that the London Spitfire roster is all South Korean players. Dallas Fuel has a nice mix of EU, NA, and Korean players though plus some well known players.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By DocHaus

San Francisco Shock put up a good fight on Anubis, but otherwise got swept by the LA Valiant.

Shanghai Dragons got beaten so bad by the LA Gladiators it oughta be a crime.

UPDATE: Dallas Fuel & Seoul Dynasty have established themselves as the top-tier of this league already. Even though Seoul won the match, Dallas really made them work for it.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DocHaus

Quick snapshot of last night's scores and tonight's schedule:

No Caption Provided

My random-ass predictions: London, Philly, and NY as the winners.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A couple of those Dallas vs Seoul maps were hot fire.

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan
    notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By notnert427

While I guess this isn't much different than someone buying an NFL jersey or whatever, it's fucking weird that E-sports is enough of a thing that they're apparently able to sell these teams' branded gear. Do the players on these teams get a cut of the sales? Also, is this a 1:1 deal, where $5 gets you a skin of your choosing, or is it a loot box? If the latter, that would be kind of amazing because you'd be more likely to get a skin of an opponent than the team you're rooting for. That would be like going to NFL.com and ordering a jersey that you hope is a Steelers jersey and getting a Patriots jersey or some shit.

(Now I'm picturing some Cowboys fan ordering a "NFC East Jersey Pack" and opening a box with an Eagles jersey in it, and that's goddamn hilarious.)

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

@notnert427: I believe the team gets some of the profits of the merch. And yes it is 1 to 1; you spend 5 bucks for 100 league tokens and can pick a specific skin of your choosing (1 skin costs 100 tokens). No loot boxes here.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@panfoot: It's pretty much the same as a football fan buying an NFL jersey or a dumb bobble head. these aren't meant to be skins like the rest of them

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@notnert427: I believe the team gets some of the profits of the merch. And yes it is 1 to 1; you spend 5 bucks for 100 league tokens and can pick a specific skin of your choosing (1 skin costs 100 tokens). No loot boxes here.

Thanks for the clarification. It's good to hear they at least passed on the loot crates for this.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jesus_Phish

While I guess this isn't much different than someone buying an NFL jersey or whatever, it's fucking weird that E-sports is enough of a thing that they're apparently able to sell these teams' branded gear.

It's not "enough of a thing" but they want to to be, so they have to put out this sort of merch. When you look at the offerings there's really not that much. Each team has a jersey, a shirt, a cap and some cheap items like stickers, pins and lanyards. In the grand scheme of sports memorabilia that's nothing. But it's something - which helps try legitimize this as an actual thing people might/should care about.

As for the league itself, my biggest problem with it is that I don't like how OW games are presented in eSports. Because of the nature of the game it comes across as a bit of an incomprehensible mess at times. I play the game, I understand what the characters do and the objectives are, but the constant camera changes which at times end up missing important plays can be jarring. At one point yesterday I want to say they swapped from a Tracer who was shooting a Winston while the Winston jumped towards the screen, into that Winston players PoV.

I wish for bigger scraps that they'd just continue to use the 3rd person view so you can see everything at once. I also wish that Blizzard would copy the Dota 2 model and allow you to spectate in game, sticking to a single players view if you want or controlling the camera yourself.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My random predictions for tonight's matches:

• LA Valiant puts up a decent fight but not enough to defeat Dallas.
    • Florida claws its way out of the cellar, away from Bahstahn
    • SF bounces back against Shanghai, who appear to be Wooden Spoon candidates unless they show a lot of improvement from their season debut.
    Avatar image for justtakemymoney
    justtakemymoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dig tying teams to cities in e-sports but its a bummer when the nearest one is 500 miles away. Would have thought there would at least be a Chicago team for us mid-westerners to root for.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I decided to support the home team and used my freebie to get a Florida Mayhem skin. I chose Mei, since her skin was the nicest out of all the heroes I don't already have decent skins for.

I'm really glad that this is just a pick-and-pay system. I hope it's indicative of larger changes to come for Overwatch, but I doubt it. That being said... these prices are crazy. I was going to buy a handful before I saw how much it would cost me. $10 for a single palate-swap of the base skins? Hopefully the prices are only this high because of the team cuts.

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

@elmorales94: Should only be $5 for a single skin. (Still a tad expensive admittedly. I wish it was more like $1 or $2.) Unless you're some other currency than Usd; I wouldn't know the pricing tiers outside the states.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've watched 3 of the games so far and it really bums me out that it seems like 90% of the time the comps just end up being Tracer/Genji/Winston/D.Va/Mercy/Zenyatta.

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Heads up, tonight's matches just started up.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justtakemymoney: just beg the Ricketts or whoever owns the Bears to scam the city out of another 20 Million to start their own OWL franchise next season. Sadly, I don't have a "home team" either so for now I'm rooting for the Valiant as I like their color scheme.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From the UK and in rooting for Dallas Fuel. I've enjoyed watching a few of their members stream for a couple years now. Also Taimou's not is infectious. Also have a soft spot for Jake, I just think he's a really smart player, if not the most technical. Also rooting for Seoul for obvious reasons. Miro and Jhong are just legends.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By nnickers

I want to enjoy this but I have a lot of issues; here our my two biggest:

1. I'm from Boston. There's a Boston team. That seemed kind of neat when I first heard about it, but then I found out that only 3/10 players on the team are even from the U.S. and they're from the complete opposite end of the continent. I know professional, physical sports teams don't actually populate teams locally either but I've never felt attached to those teams for the same reason. Their "city-based" teams concept becomes hilarious when they cut to the studio cameras and virtually every player on the stage is a little Harry Potter-lookin' Korean kid.
    2. The spectating is awful, as others have voiced already. They should stick to third-person perspective far more, if not exclusively. There's something to be said for esports' unique ability to show the game through the players' perspectives, but the fact remains that if I'm only watching through the eyes of one player, I'm missing 90% of what's happening on the map.

PS:

• The decision not to use players' real names may have sunk this ship before it even set out. These players won't be recognized on anything approaching a main-stream level while they go by dumb handles.
    FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nnickers: what do you mean by mainstream? These "dumb handles" ARE the players names. I'm fully on board with esports players getting called by their tag ALL the time. Brandon Who? Nah son it's Seagull.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cerberus3dog

I'm having a surprisingly fun time watching OWL. I think their stage is really cool. The commentary has been engaging and since I've decided to root for Philly, I've actually tried to learn a bit about some of the players. Color me surprised, I wouldn't have expected myself to become this interested in competitive Overwatch.

Some of these skins are pretty sweet too. I like the skin treatment they gave to each character for each team.

Edit: And the Fusion just got totally rolled...

No Caption Provided

paypay88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boring skins kinda.

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nnickers said:

I want to enjoy this but I have a lot of issues; here our my two biggest:

1. I'm from Boston. There's a Boston team. That seemed kind of neat when I first heard about it, but then I found out that only 3/10 players on the team are even from the U.S. and they're from the complete opposite end of the continent. I know professional, physical sports teams don't actually populate teams locally either but I've never felt attached to those teams for the same reason. Their "city-based" teams concept becomes hilarious when they cut to the studio cameras and virtually every player on the stage is a little Harry Potter-lookin' Korean kid.
    2. The spectating is awful, as others have voiced already. They should stick to third-person perspective far more, if not exclusively. There's something to be said for esports' unique ability to show the game through the players' perspectives, but the fact remains that if I'm only watching through the eyes of one player, I'm missing 90% of what's happening on the map.

PS:

• The decision not to use players' real names may have sunk this ship before it even set out. These players won't be recognized on anything approaching a main-stream level while they go by dumb handles.

(1.) I agree it is kind of weird.
    (2.) The spectator view has been perfectly watchable in my experience. I almost always know what's going on; the camera priority is usually following the main thread of the engagements. The commentary is also very clear, descriptive and informative, so it's easy to follow the chaos. I think they've been doing a fairly good job.
    (PS:) The use of moniker's is not unique to Overwatch league. Esports is rife with it and the fact that it has grown increasingly popular over the years tells me the exact opposite. The average joe and jane also use a made up name in online games, so it's actually kinda relatable.

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Just wanted to post this. Somebody mentioned it to me on the discord; they found it on reddit.

(Tracer's Florida Mayhem skin)

Oy bother!
    Oy bother!

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OWL Standings (or "Table" for you EU folk) after the first week of matches (courtesy of wikipedia, which put it in a more readable format than the official site):

No Caption Provided

It's still incredibly early in the season, but some interesting readings here as I put on my Skip Bayless hat:

• Dallas somehow dropping to 0-2 despite their talent, on the luck of facing the two teams better than them in Seoul and LAV. It might be unfair, but you gotta beat the best to be the best.
    • Houston continues to lose after continuously ignoring my suggestion to have at least one player dressed as McCree at all times to keep up their theme. Also, they let Philly claw their way back on Lijang in the last round of their first match when they had a chance to crush them. Gotta have that killer instinct.
    • London put up an unexpectedly good record, but we'll see how good they really are when they fight LAV and Dallas next week. Ditto for NY, when they fight LAV next week as well.
    • Shanghai, man...I didn't expect them to be world-beaters, but I didn't think they'd be this bad. Maybe they should've taken a page from Chinese soccer teams and throw bags of money at foreign stars like everyone not from Seoul did.
    • Shame on you Florida for making Boston look good. Go back to playing Team Fortress 2!
    saispag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yay London

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How good is Fleta???

ParadoxControl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You know, I was on the fence about the whole thing. But I'm kind of excited that BU is being lead by EGHuck of starcraft 2 fame. What a story. You go pro in SC2 and it eventually leads you to working at the Kraft organization, leading their Gaming division. I'm a Boston fan, but really I'm a much bigger EGHuck fan!

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

was interested during the first week, but then the korean rosters(seoul and london) basically steamroll everyone else, so I lost interest. Seoul has nice skins though, black and gold is my jam.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you can watch a game like Dallas v Seoul and call it a steamroll, you probably should check out. It was literally back and forth every game except Control, with the last game ending in a draw.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I've watched three full matches so far, and I have been really enjoying it. The production values have been nice from the view in the arena, to stuff like the overhead view of the map when appropriate.

As for the games themselves, the ones I have seen I liked quite a bit. Certainly better than some of the matches I watched 6 to 12 months ago where it felt like each team had Reinhardt, Ana, Lucio, and Zarya and then substituted a Mei, Genji, Tracer, and McCree for the last two spots. There was obviously some good play during those earlier matches, but there was something mechanical about it. Now, whether it's how the meta has changed or hero balancing, there's a lot more variety. It seems like teams will also mix up their compositions more if something isn't working (like a player would just run back to spawn to swap out).

For the matches, I watched Dallas Fuel v. Seoul Dynasty, London Spitfire v. Florida Mayhem, and Seoul Dynasty v. Los Angeles Gladiators. My favorite match was probably Dallas v. Seoul just for Temple of Anubis alone. The back and forth on that map was ridiculous. So far I've been really impressed with Seoul. They have some amazing players. I think I will continue watching some games as the series continues. (Three games a week feels about right for me) This week I'll probably watch entirely different teams to get a better feel of the playing field.

In terms of esports, I watch The International every year because...I don't know why...I used to watch the major Hearthstone tournaments, back when I played that, and I've watched a handful of the early Overwatch tournaments. A big part of my enjoyment of OWL is probably just because of how much I like Overwatch, but the structure and presentation of this series has also been fantastic and some of my favorite esports presentations.

The only real bummer I can think of with OWL is the skins. $10 for 2 skins is insane! Spending $100 and not getting close to all of them is INSANE! Hopefully they hand out those credits each week or something, but the fact those don't drop in standard loot boxes is just nuts to me.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Blizzard intends you to get all the skins. Or oven close. Like 1 or 2.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only real bummer I can think of with OWL is the skins. $10 for 2 skins is insane! Spending $100 and not getting close to all of them is INSANE! Hopefully they hand out those credits each week or something, but the fact those don't drop in standard loot boxes is just nuts to me.

Think about how much you'd have to spend if they only dropped in standard loot boxes.

I think of the skins like they're football jerseys. You don't buy every football jersey for every player on your favourite team. You buy the one for your favourite player on the team. Likewise, you buy the skin for your favourite character.

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan
    @clagnaught said:

Think about how much you'd have to spend if they only dropped in standard loot boxes.

I think of the skins like they're football jerseys. You don't buy every football jersey for every player on your favourite team. You buy the one for your favourite player on the team. Likewise, you buy the skin for your favourite character.

Yeah, I don't think you're really meant to get all of them. Just choose a couple from your favorite teams for your mains and be done with it. That's what I did. Just think of them as separate from the main event/holiday costume pool. In that context I find it a lot more reasonable.

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Just a reminder that Week two starts today in 1 hour - The first match will be San Fransisco Shock vs Philadelphia Fusion

Like always, here is the full schedule for today. You'll also find the area to watch it there too.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Panfoot

Maybe Florida Mayhem will get a win this week...

oh, were playing Seoul Dynasty?

Uh, welp, gg.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DocHaus

I thought SF were going to take that match, but Philly just had enough to beat them.

lol like Florida was gonna win against Seoul.

I think Shanghai's due for a win here, which means that Houston will crush them into a fine powder because my instincts are shit. UPDATE: yep, I need to start picking the opposite of my instincts.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By cerberus3dog

My thoughts on Week 2, Day 1. I'm glad Fusion pulled out ahead. Poko (Fusion's D.Va) has 40 self destruct kills in 3 matches which is nuts. Seoul looked bored. They rolled Mayhem and were playing with some of their subs in too. I honestly feel bad for Shanghai. It doesn't seem like they are up to the rest of OWL's level.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

#49  Edited By Cav829

Florida and Shanghai are fairly close in terms of worst teams in the league. The only thing honestly that might keep Florida above them is TviQ. Florida cheaping out and not picking up backups is really hurting them as it's clear that Logix's lack of flexibility is hurting them when he's not even able to keep up with most of the better Tracers in OWL.

I think you're starting to see tiers emerge:

Top Tier: Seoul, New York, London

Second Tier: Dallas, the two LA teams

Third Tier: Boston, Houston, Philly

Bottom Tier: San Fransisco, Shanghai, Florida

Dallas will eventually get better once the Mercy meta ends and they play more together. They are just awful at playing around a Mercy right now (most Western teams are), and their dive is trash without Harry on Lucio and until they build better chemistry together. Dive was always the weakness of that team, and even when playing pretty poorly overall they still held LAV fairly close.

San Fran will likely move up to third tier once Super and Sinatraa are able to play. Also, their Mercy play is abysmally bad. The thing that gives me hope for them besides the end of the Mercy meta is that Babybay has been playing much better than I thought he would.

Boston is definitely the surprise of the league so far almost entirely because of Striker. They're not going to be in the playoff hunt, but they're safely out of the basement of the league. Some would say Houston is underperforming, but their lack of a top tier Tracer player always concerned me. Jake and LiNkzr are individually really good DPS players (LiNkzr is the best non-Korean DPS in OWL IMO), but high-level Overwatch is so Tracer dependent that they still haven't figured out as a team how to best cover for the deficiency. Clockwork is just way overmatched by all these incredible Tracer players.

New York is easily the most impressive team to date. About their only weakness has been Libero's occasional inconsistent play. But they have one of the best tank duos, arguably the best Tracer player, a scary good Zen player and their bench option DPS player has been playing like an video game endboss. New York vs. Seoul is going to be very telling.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I need to apologize to Dallas. The second I picked their team skin, I doomed them to last place. Such is my power...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.