Overwatch - Season 2

• 65 results
FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guys and girls. So season 2 of Overwatch is underway incase anybody haven't realised. Thought this could be a place for general discussion throughout the season.

How are you finding the changes made for season 2? I think a lot of the buffs and nerfs were spot on, discord needed toning down, Genji needed the nerf etc. The changes they made to the actual game modes seem pretty spot on, no more overtime for 2 straight minutes.

Haven't played the new map yet although the art looks gorgeous. Anybody checked it out yet, thoughts?

So I played my placements and did horrible as expected, solo queuing. People still running Torb or even worse Bastion, people expecting me to solo heal as Zen etc. Went 4 wins 6 losses, which is an improvement on season 1s 2 wins 8 losses lol. Was so glad to get them over with and get playing with people more my own rank, who know better. Placed in Platinum rank, 2500 or something. Hoping to quickly move up from there though.

How are you enjoying it (or not)?

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

On PS4 here, I only play Overwatch solo queuing, but it's still by far my GOTY. I went 7 wins 3 losses in my placement matches however, and ended up in Platinum rank around 2500, same as you, which seems unfair seeing as I thought I did exceptionally well

I main Zenyatta, and his discord nerf has been pretty unnoticeable to me, given they amped up his orb of destruction, I'm still melting tanks like it was my goddamn job.

Seeing a lot less Genji since the nerf, which is fine by me

Been playing a little bit more Tracer and I would probably say she's my backup choice behind Zenyatta, I've finally clicked in on how to do really well with her, disrupting enemy lines and avoiding death.

If anyone's trying to play with me, I'd be down to try some competitive with actual communication going on. Shoot me a PSN request at Kirbykrumper. I'm on at random times but generally play at least a few matches every night, around 10pm CST

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@secondpersonshooter: ranking isn't just dependent on your placement win / loss ratio though. I may have lost 6 games but I killed it in all ten, getting numerous golds. It also takes your season 1 ranking into account, of which I managed 69.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

Seems pretty good for the most part but I think Genji's wallclimb change should be reverted, and Mei's ult is ridiculously big now. Overall I definitely like this patch a lot, and the changes to the way the competitive mode works are all great.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

I went 6-4 in placement matches, and ended up in the mid to high 2400s. Might even graduate to Platinum in a match or two. I guess that's cool.

OtterChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ahh you guys are too skilled for me, on PC I went 4-6 and ended up 1884 in silver class. I got it up to 1970 at one point (only 30 more needed to gold, one good match win) and then got into a string of poor matches and now I'm at 1925 or so. Solo queue as well and I've found the matches to be a bit salty compared to the placement matches I was in, had one guy quit our team and even though I stayed in the match I still lost 25 points so I guess had I bailed the total would have been higher. Back at it later tonight. None of the classes I play the most (soldier, D-va, Lucio, Junkrat or Zarya) had any changes so other than the scoring system which I like it seems to be condition normal but lots more Hanzo.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

@frodobaggins: Ah. That would make sense. I was gonna say that it's odd to see people saying they went 7-3 and saying they ended up around 2500, as I went 5-5 on PS4 and ranked in at 2780. But I did pretty well in each game, and like you, ended up with a season 1 high of 69.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frodobaggins: Not Grandmaster out of the gate? I'm disappointed.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whatshisface: you and me both. Haven't been playing during the pre season though so all of my super duper skillz have gone. You know what they say, practice makes perfect.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My placement matches went 1 draw, 3 wins and 6 losses. Ended up in the bottom 2000's. But I'm feeling good about myself. So far won most of my matches after the placements and I'm halfway to platinum.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Totally fell off this game when ranked first started. Got back to it for a bit. Now that I know season 2 is under way, and I'm past level 25, I'll do the placement matches and see where I end up. I play on PS4 and have really fallen in and out of favor with this game. It'll probably end up on my GOTY list because I haven't played much from this year, but I'm not completely in love with it like others are.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am really surprised at how quickly it took for OW to get in a good place with regards to how competitive works along with balance (mostly). It's the exact opposite of the 'head in the sand' mentality a lot of other devs tend to have; 'People didn't like Season 1 worked, especially with stopwatch? Tear it all out'.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Messed around with the new map yesterday. Maybe it's just because it's new but there seems a lot more nuisance to it that the original maps, lots of places to hide and tight corners etc. Going to take some learning I reckon.

Also, is McCree really the only hero a good Tracer won't engage?

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fell off on this game super hard a little bit before Ana and the ranked mode came out. What changes are they making to the game for season 2? Just character balance stuff?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hippie_genocide: lots of hero balancing. Overtime runs down much faster, you can't constantly keep it going like you could before. Competative rank is leaning more towards actual ranks (bronze, silver etc) and less on the specific number value. No more coin flip, games can actually be a draw (although pretty rarely), new map, changes to how much time is given to each team after capping objectives. Loads of more small but meaningful changes.

I'm sorry, could this be moved to the Overwatch fourm please, I dropped a boo.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Placed at 2300, so I'm feeling pretty ok about that. I've been playing a lot more Lucio since no one I match up with ever wants to play as a healer. I'm pretty ok with that too tbh, although sometimes I just wanna murder shit as D.Va. I like the ranking system way more than I did in season 1. The nerfs/buffs all seem pretty fair aside from Meis ultimate. Fuck that thing.

climax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The ranking system feels better now. Topped off at 50 on S1 and now placed at 2447 (Gold). So pretty close to my original, but I think the grinding might be a little easier this time around.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what happened.... my Zarya went from decidedly average to murdering fools. Couple of 35+ kills with 2 - 3 deaths games.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arrrrrgggghhhh get me out of this platinum band. Feels bad losing knowing full well that it was group composition that lost the game.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played about 8 straight games with 8 losses just now.... wondering what more I can do? Slipped down to 2300. Every game without exception there has been a Bastion or symettra or Torbjorn or Widowmaker. I've gotten gold medals every single game. Do the matchmaking gods hate me?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I've come to a realisation and I'd like to share it incase anybody else is in a similar situation. If you feel you've been placed too low for season 2 after placements but are still struggling to get where you need to be, here's my advice - pick your best offense hero every game. Balls to what other people pick.

My usual strategy is to wait to pick my hero last to try and fill out the team as best as possible. But this usually leads to me playing either support or tank (which I'm fine with). OK no bother I thought, and I'd had some cracking games as Lucio, hopping all over the objective, keeping as many people in Los as possible, countering enemy ults, even getting my share of kills. But we were still getting picked apart. Why? Because the dps just wasn't upto the job. So I switched to Reaper and tore the place down. In my opinion it is far easier to carry a team as dps than any other role, and I'm finally starting to make progress.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's impossible to rank up consistently in solo-queue. It's literally RNG whether your team is good or bad, it has little to do with individual skill.

Find a group of players to play with. I went on reddit and found a group, there are thousands of people in the same situation. Now I'm ranking up fairly quickly and even when we lose, the games are way more enjoyable and feel balanced and intense.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@49th: it isn't impossible at all, I did it during season 1 and I'll do it again this season. It can be difficult when you're at those low tiers and people are using hero's like Symettra or Bastion etc but if you proform well and your win loss ratio is close to 50% you will rank up, purely on the basis that you will be gaining more rank than you lose.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 44

I got put into platinum. I've have way more people drop out of games and be general a-holes during season 2 than I did 1, but I'd say in the games that actually completed I've had better makeup and teammates in season 2 than 1. One problem I have are the players who clearly don't know characters but want to play competitive mode. Like...why? Why not play vs AI or Matchmaking until you get a grip on stuff?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just had a terrible string of 5 losses. Was pushing 2800+ now back to 2600+. I keep telling myself it took a while last season to claw my way out of the middle ranks but it doesn't make those losing streaks any easier to swallow lol. On a positive note I had mostly great games, lots of gold medals. Stand out being Illios as Winston. 49 kills, with a POTG knocking 4 people to their deaths during primal rage.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By AlKusanagi

Finally did placements with a full team of friends and we had a terrible run of 3-7, with all but one of us ending up in gold. Since we can all only play once or twice a week as a team, I tried solo-queue some yesterday and found out ELO Hell is very much a real thing. Every team I was on got slaughtered. I'm sorry I can't carry you as Lucio since no one else is picking healers, you buttmonkeyholes!!!!!!

Anyway, if anyone needs someone to partner up with in the evenings on PC sometime, feel free to add me: alkusanagi#1264

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FrodoBaggins

Some of these loss streaks feel.... unnatural. I'm currently at about a 10 game loss streak.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AlKusanagi

No kidding. I went 1-9 tonight. I've lost 500 points since my initial placing. It has to turn around eventually right? RIGHT?!?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So many selfish players, even in Platinum. I can't imagine what it's like in bronze and silver. Had a game earlier today, I was playing Zarya on attack hanamura to complement our Reinhardt. Nobody went healer, instead we got stuck with Mei and Bastion. Poor Reinhardt was spamming we need healer for a minute before switching off to Lucio.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

@frodobaggins: It's kind of frustrating that Platinum is still "ELO Hell" even at as high as 2800-2900. I don't know if some players are just getting lucky in their placements, are being carried by friends, or just don't want to put the effort into playing better. I have to believe the majority of these players know how to play the game better than I often see them playing it. I'm not one of those snobs who thinks you suck if you're not on Diamond or up.

I'm starting to dread solo queue McCree players this season the same way I dreaded instalock Hanzo players in season 1. The amount of players picking McCree who play him like he's a flanker and possess terrible aim are driving me crazy. I don't care if he's Meta or not. If you can't hit your shots, play someone else.

Drekly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@frodobaggins said:

So many selfish players, even in Platinum. I can't imagine what it's like in bronze and silver. Had a game earlier today, I was playing Zarya on attack hanamura to complement our Reinhardt. Nobody went healer, instead we got stuck with Mei and Bastion. Poor Reinhardt was spamming we need healer for a minute before switching off to Lucio.

I understand your frustration, but in those situations, especially at that skill level, if you run into that situation you gotta just switch to healer yourself. One tank and one healer is way better than 2 tanks and no healer.

You're always going to run into extremely stubborn people, who either just don't want to play another hero or simply don't know how to play another one.

JayCowle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what happened.... my Zarya went from decidedly average to murdering fools. Couple of 35+ kills with 2 - 3 deaths games.

Answer: MATRIX.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they implement the changes of ranked in quick play too (one hero limit mostly). A visible rank seems to bring out the worst in people at times.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drekly: yeah I hear you, and I would have if Reinhardt hadn't switched. I was just hoping the Bastion was going to get the hint.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AlKusanagi

@drekly: yeah I hear you, and I would have if Reinhardt hadn't switched. I was just hoping the Bastion was going to get the hint.

Well there's your problem...

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VarkhanMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

I honestly think I'm done with Competitive? I placed 2700, then played some more and dropped to 2500. Since then, the games have been getting worse and worse. I mostly play support, but even that is not enough to save my team. There's only so much I can do switching healers, right? Anyone else having a similar experience?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frodobaggins: Remember that time when I told you about my frustration with competitive and listed the things that contributed to my losses during the first season? Then you proceeded to disregard all of my points and said I was just lucky with my initial placement? And even though I didn't ask for it you started to boast about yourself? ...Yeah.

I could say I just won my 8th match in a row but that would be dickish of me.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Oh wow, I'm 11 days behind. Beautiful.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whatshisface: actually, no I didn't remember that, just had to go back and have a look.

I didn't disregard your reasons for losing at all, they were totally valid reasons. What I did say, and what is 100% totally true, is that if you are losing more rank than you gain it's because you are under proforming.

I'm sorry if I've upset you at some point, I sense a little hostility from you now that I've been back and looked at some posts from you. But it's all good, I'm glad you've won 8 on the bounce, that feels great. I had a couple of decent wins earlier, back upto 2700 now.

Do you play on ps4? I'll add you, if you would like to play with a dickish-grandmaster-pretending-to-be-platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frodobaggins: Alright, after that response, you're okay in my books. You did piss me off a bit back then, though. Cause I thought you were super condescending toward me. Apologies. I'm playing on PC, by the way.

For the last 10 days or so, I did the same thing. Fire up OW, play a Quick Match, regardless of the outcome play just one Ranked Match and no more. I don't know if this has anything to do with my victories but so far it worked out really well for me.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whatshisface: oh but I can't just play one game a day, I don't have the will power for that!

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh last night was a horrid session. To begin with I was one win away from Diamond, then proceeded to go 5 losses, 1 win and a draw. I didn't play great myself and definatly contributed to at least one of the losses. I had a couple of games with this guy who was just the worst.

I went with Winston on defense Kings Row, not something I normally do but I figured we needed a second tank and I knew they'd have a Genji or Tracer and probably Zen / Mercy so I thought what the hell. Besides, my Winston is really really good. But instantly this guy just starts bashing me asking why Winston why? Over and over. All game just trying to tell everybody else how to play like he knew better than the rest of the team, putting everybody down like it was anybodys fault but his. He's the same rank as us for christ sake lol. Very unenjoable.

I did get the trophy for Mercy for doing a huge 5 man rez on Hanamura in overtime to save the match and earn a draw which I felt pretty great about but yeah, overall definatly a bad session. Hope for better tonight!

How are you all getting on?

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frodobaggins: It's astonishing the masses looked at the Meta and have decided every Soldier player should switch to McCree, a character less than 2% of the player base can get actual value out of, but are still convinced Winston is trash despite being one of the top 5 picks in pro play every week. I think players just don't like the fact his Ultimate is more about causing disruption than doing damage. And I'll admit, I used to think it was terrible before seeing how better players use it.

I would have thought at least on console that Winston would be more popular (and he ever so slightly is) due to all aim-independent characters being better there, but his pick rate is still the lowest of the tanks. Anyway, I hope you just ignored the "expert." Winston is a fine pick on any mode.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cav829: yeah I totally did ignore him and played Winston for the entire defense. Like I thought, they had Genji and I was able to shut him down, Ulting when he did to try knock him away.

But yeah, I very rarely see Winston being picked. I do get the impression people don't think he's any good. He's the hero I consider myself best with. I tend to play him more on attack than defense however, (definatly on KoTH maps) tending more towards Zarya or Roadhog on defense tank wise.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried solo queue for a day and lost over 500 points, so there's no way I'm clawing my way back up from that..

My friends and I play 2 or 3 games a night and we've started to break even, but two of the people we play with absolutely refuse to play anything but a few characters and can't play any tanks or healers, so certain characters run wild over our team since they never counter-pick. It's still fun to play, but frustrating when a certain player is complaining about us losing when we've told him exactly which character to pick to counter the person shutting us down, but then he just goes offensive Junkrat for the hundredth time.

And Winston is great in most situations. He's amazing for taking down annoying harasser characters like Tracer and Genji or hunting down their healers, and perfect for breaking up a team that's entrenched on a point. You just need to forget that he's a "tank" and play him as a hit and run character.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Cav829

@alkusanagi: I'm sure I'm the grumpy Support player saying this, but that's because too many DPS players don't know what the role entails, but insist on playing it despite being bad at it "because it's fun." That's fine in Quick Play. Bad ones just want to jump into the other team and somehow expect their teammates to make it all work. I was watching a stream the other day where a toxic Pharah player was whining his team was "letting him be focussed" when the other team was running Soldier 76 and McCree as their DPSs. You're running the easiest to counter DPS in the game into double hitscan and you somehow think its the fault of the Reinhardt?

I know people want the glory associated with playing DPS, but you need to be able to do other things than just pointing your gun at the other team and spraying bullets into them. You need to be able to protect your Supports. You need to be able to call out to your team when you've lit a player. You need to be able to go kill that Mercy before she resurrects her team. If you can't do these things, please pick up another role. If the only DPS you can play is a really rotten Junkrat, at least volunteer to play Support so someone actually good at making things die can do it. There's a reason I leave DPS to others who practice the role a hell of a lot more than I do.

There's a reason "Solo Queue Instalock DPS" is a meme.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cav829: some good points, 2 things you said really strike a cord with me. Firstly, I hate soldiers and Mccrees that don't protect their Mercy or Zen, instead just leaving them to be picked off by Genji or Reaper. Pay a little attention to what's happening behind you aswell as in front. If you know they have flanker then expect it and look out for it.

Secondly, I expect people in Plat/Diamond to know to go after the Mercy first in any big team fight but alas it doesn't seem common knowledge yet. The amount of times I've been frantically trying to take her down whilst my team seemingly focus on other things only for them to get a big 3 or 4 man rez. Arrrrgg kill the mercy first!

Bogman_Zeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bogman_Zeek

I have had similar issues as a support/tank main in season 2.

Ended last season at 66, was really pumped after bouncing up and down between 50-60 for most of it.

Placed near 2900 for season 2 (Yay!), won up to 2990, then plummeted to 2500 with the same patterns from season 1.

I would play 2-3 games with players that communicated, played together and seemed like decent/friendly people = move up slightly. This would always (I started tracking/classifying the games on a note pad to make sure I wasn't exaggerating the bad times) be immediately followed by long losing streaks of 5+ games. Teams would be everything you'd expect :

- DPS only types (your team has 2 DPS, a support, a Mei and a tank? better lock in 3rd DPS!)

- Players blaming everyone but themselves (have to catch myself now and again to make sure this doesn't become me)

- Disconnecting

- Pre-made groups of 2-4 generally being toxic or not communicative to the non-group members

(It's not all bad, you get the occasional optimist and those trying to get others talking/working together)

Basically it has been a frustrating experience. In my average 10 games, about 7 would be loses, with about 4 of them being flat out, no contest stomps.

I've done my best to remain positive and keep fighting, with my knowledge from season 1 that the streaks cant possibly continue like this and things will eventually turn around fueling me.

I've seen videos of advice/tips on how to climb solo, but they all seem to require being a DPS and carrying. Being support/tank relies much more on team play and makes solo Q a real grind.

I still intrinsically enjoy playing the game but the streaks are making it tough to keep going back. And no, Quick Play is not the solution for me, the lack of any real team work and the overall "messing around" nature take the joy out of it for me. I want there to be stakes, and I understand that means the possibility losing a good chunk of games, I just want it to be more consistent with the match ups.

-End Rant! :D

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FYI: couple changes just went up on the PTR. That Widow change is exactly what she needed IMO and something I've heard Widow players asking for as it restores her ability to compete in peek battles. Ana's change is the one I think everyone saw coming. That changes her Ult cost from 1100 to 1320 if my math is correct, i.e. pretty much in line with Mercy's. That should help curtail the dreaded 3/3 Meta. Junkrat's change is fine.

HERO BALANCE UPDATES

Ana

Nano Boost

Ultimate cost has been increased by 20%

Biotic Grenade

Radius has been increased from 3 to 4 meters

Developer Comments: So far, we haven't seen any indication that Ana is too strong overall, but her ultimate charges a little too fast, especially considering the impact it can have on a match. Also, her Biotic Grenades are getting a small boost to help her hit multiple targets.

Widowmaker

Widow's Kiss

Scoping-in animation time has been reduced from 0.5 to 0.3 seconds

Developer Comments: This change will help Widowmaker acquire new targets more quickly and speed up her reaction time in fast-paced situations.

Junkrat

RIP-Tire

Ability now activates more quickly

Developer Comments: Junkrat can be an extremely effective hero in the right hands, but RIP-Tire often felt underpowered when compared to his counterparts.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.